• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round |OT| Bouncing on new systems.

stn

So this is out for 360? How much do the new characters cost?

EDIT: Talking about the DLC, have no interest in buying the full disc version.

JJD

Man I'm thinking about grabbing this. The last DOA I played was the DOA 2 on Dreamcast...

Is it up on PSN?

How much the series changed from DOA 2 to now? I know a lot of thing have probably changed I just want to know the big ones.

BadWolf

So how is the game? Is it truly worth the $40? Also, this would be my first DOA game since DOA2 Hardcore.

Might want to try the Core version first, there's info about it in the OP.

It's a free version that gives you access to a couple of characters, arcade mode and even online play.

czarship

So the OP lists 6 pre-order bonuses but only 4 are available? How do you get New Challengers and Encore?

According to the game's official facebook page, "New Challengers" is available as a voucher inside the box of first print Walmart copies while "Showstoppers Encore" was available via pre-order from Best Buy.

Unfortunately, Best Buy ran out of their pre-order codes last week and no longer offered the promotion both online and in stores. I have yet to see anyone confirm that their Walmart copies come with the "New Challengers" code inside.

These pre-order bonuses have been going for around $20 on eBay.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So how is the game? Is it truly worth the $40? Also, this would be my first DOA game since DOA2 Hardcore.

Play Core Fighters. You get the "Ninjas" (Hayate, Hayabusa/Ryu, Ayane and Kasumi) for free. See if that tickles your fancy.

JJD said:
Man I'm thinking about grabbing this. The last DOA I played was the DOA 2 on Dreamcast...

Is it up on PSN?

How much the series changed from DOA 2 to now? I know a lot of thing have probably changed I just want to know the big ones.

On PS4? I dunno, probably GCT'd. PS3 you only need Ultimate to get a patch.

And yeah, they redid Forest but at the same time (unless my memory is fuzzy on playing only 5+ for months while waiting for the PC version of Ultimate/Last Round to hit Steam) some stages got downgraded. The Wrestling Tournament Ring got downgraded in aliasing on PS3.

AAK

Was messing with Bayman today and noticed how he had multi-throws like VF's Aoi and a bunch of Tekken characters. Then went to practice mode to see how to break those multi's and it was the same regardless of what variation of multi Bayman did. As long as I pressed any button when the "combo throw" or whatever indicator in green flashed on the screen my character would break out of Bayman's multi-throw.

I tried to see if it was the same thing with Mila's tackle and it was pretty much the same thing if she did a strike or a grab.

So my question is.... what's the point of the different options in a multi-throw if it's the same break regardless of what choice you make? At least with VF's Aoi you had to guess the direction of the input the Aoi player was doing giving some utility to the multi-throw.

I was under the impression that DOA was one of the only fighting games that's actually better to play with a gamepad than a stick. Is that not true? I've always wanted to become more knowledgeably on fighting games but I already spent hundreds on an arcade stick I barely used last gen.

Because I know the tournament standard is gonna be PS4 I've started playing Last Round on pad... so far it's not too difficult because there isn't really anything that intricate to do the basics. Although I do think that if you played Hayabusa it's a recipe for getting a ton of blisters on your thumb practicing izuna drops. :p

Moofers

Some questions:

I'm assuming PS3 arcade sticks won't work on the PS4 version?
How much is the PS4 version in the USA?

I have the PS3 version of UDOA5. I can't remember if there are music tracks from old games. Does the PS4 version have any extra music tracks or customization options? I'm specifically hoping tracks from DOA2 might be in the mix, like the Opera House for example.

Thanks in advance!

Skilletor

Was messing with Bayman today and noticed how he had multi-throws like VF's Aoi and a bunch of Tekken characters. Then went to practice mode to see how to break those multi's and it was the same regardless of what variation of multi Bayman did. As long as I pressed any button when the "combo throw" or whatever indicator in green flashed on the screen my character would break out of Bayman's multi-throw.

I tried to see if it was the same thing with Mila's tackle and it was pretty much the same thing if she did a strike or a grab.

So my question is.... what's the point of the different options in a multi-throw if it's the same break regardless of what choice you make? At least with VF's Aoi you had to guess the direction of the input the Aoi player was doing giving some utility to the multi-throw.

Because I know the tournament standard is gonna be PS4 I've started playing Last Round on pad... so far it's not too difficult because there isn't really anything that intricate to do the basics. Although I do think that if you played Hayabusa it's a recipe for getting a ton of blisters on your thumb practicing izuna drops. :p

There's perfect timing so that the opponent can't break.

Certain breaks leave you in different positions. On a couple of bayman's he's left at frame advantage, so if they break (or you allow them to), then you can continue your offensive. Rikuto does this a lot.

Some questions:

I'm assuming PS3 arcade sticks won't work on the PS4 version?
How much is the PS4 version in the USA?

I have the PS3 version of UDOA5. I can't remember if there are music tracks from old games. Does the PS4 version have any extra music tracks or customization options? I'm specifically hoping tracks from DOA2 might be in the mix, like the Opera House for example.

Thanks in advance!

Read somewhere in a press release that XO and PS4 versions will have hair and clothing customizations that arent available on previous generations of consoles. Not sure if that was it or not though.

I'm really underwhelmed by the visual output of this game. I'm getting consistent stutter during fights and the texture detail just isn't there. It feels like they painted a blurry haze over things. The game itself is fun.

I think it was held back completely by the older systems.

mintylurb

SMAA 1tx, HRAA, hell, even FXAA would have done wonders for this game's IQ. I don't understand the lack of any AA solution at all, it's a last gen game.

This boggles my mind. How the hell does the ps4 version not have any sort of AA during game play? Any word on if the x1 version has AA?

Nyoro SF

They better give good graphics options for the PC version. I don't mind forcing AA through my own card's options, but it's annoying when developers don't provide the options themselves

Play Core Fighters. You get the "Ninjas" (Hayate, Hayabusa/Ryu, Ayane and Kasumi) for free. See if that tickles your fancy.

On PS4? I dunno, probably GCT'd. PS3 you only need Ultimate to get a patch.

And yeah, they redid Forest but at the same time (unless my memory is fuzzy on playing only 5+ for months while waiting for the PC version of Ultimate/Last Round to hit Steam) some stages got downgraded. The Wrestling Tournament Ring got downgraded in aliasing on PS3.

What's hilarious is, is that I suck with those characters lol.

Honestly, Bayman was my main.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
They better give good graphics options for the PC version. I don't mind forcing AA through my own card's options, but it's annoying when developers don't provide the options themselves

Gotta see what is going on with that. After a month delay they better make it worth the wait.

AAK

There's perfect timing so that the opponent can't break.

Certain breaks leave you in different positions. On a couple of bayman's he's left at frame advantage, so if they break (or you allow them to), then you can continue your offensive. Rikuto does this a lot.

Interesting, so both Mila's tackle followups and Bayman's multi-throws all have perfect timing options that are unbreakable? Or is it just Bayman?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Unlocked DoA2 music with second clear.

Helena -> Blazed up Melpomene. Good to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdNaHxTUx6Y

15813883361_b26507c959_o.gif

Moofers

I knew something seemed off in the ps3 version! I loaded up Forest and thought "man this looks kinda shitty, it's all fuzzy and stuff".

I'm bummed to know that's still the case here. I wonder why?

Forsythia

Getting the game this friday on Xbox One (Europe, hooray!), lets hope the DLC issue is fixed by then and I can download the bazillion costumes I already purchased on 360!

Also, it really is a pain browsing the DLC section on Xbox One as there are now 489245 pages of DOA5 DLC. They really need to fix that shit.

ShinMaruku

Interesting, so both Mila's tackle followups and Bayman's multi-throws all have perfect timing options that are unbreakable? Or is it just Bayman?

All grapplers have that. Mila is special in that she's more a striker, but you can use her grapple for garenteed stuff. Tina, Leon, Bayman Bass and Lisa all have multi throws that with perfect timing are unbreakable, Then you have Tommy (Hayabusa) who has the izuna drop the perfect throw.

DR2K

Banned

If you get the timing right on your throws they're unbreakable. Some throws leave you at frame advantage if broken as well.

Just crashed again. I can't play this game more than 3 stages before it crashes. How does this crap get released?

And yeah, I've rebooted the xbone completely. This is a recommended don't buy until it gets a patch.

Skilletor

Also if you want throws to work, you have to get your safe and unsafe moves and you can throw punish.

For example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_rNJjm6c7s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkeGRKJiJo0
Look when you see high counter throw. That throw could not be broken.

Phase 4 is SO much fun.

Those throws can't be broken regardless. High counter or not.

The only throws that can be broken are normal h+p throws and anything after the first part of a multi-part throw.

This does have cross-save right? (In my case, PS3 -> PS4 and vice versa)

Yes.

ShinMaruku

It was less about them being broken and knowing when to use throws fro garneteed damage. if you bait the hold and throw you get a great bonus. Especially with characters with the 'bloodlust effect' where if your oppenent is below 25% a high counter throw will kill. I have bopped many a Marie Rose with that. :p

alstein

I just want good netcode. I'm confident they'll get the rest right.

Top Bottom