• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deep Down is Free to play, beta near PS4 Japan launch

Sturm

Banned
Suddenly I losts some interested in the whole PS4 console... Deep Down was one of the most interesting titles.. up untill now.

IcyEyes

Deep Down free to play ?

I'm not worried at all.
I play a lot of F2P and enjoyed them, even with clear disadvantages, so I can't wait to try this game!

Listening to the latest cagcast and they said that the game controlled like a very janky tech demo. Graphically the game is the only thing that really looks next gen if your use to playing on the PC.

And on the latest 8-4 Play podcast everyone who played it thought it was great and are really excited. Both impressions are consistent with the past, I think.

Blueblur1

Being free to play fills me with concern. I worry that Capcom won't come up with a good pricing model and/or make a complete game that stands up on its own.

Ushae

Banned
Dat PS+ paywall at work i guess? Or Capcom fucking yet another game. Oh well we still got Dead Rising though.

ban25

Curious if this will be energy based f2p or mystery boxes... Either way, I'd rather just pay $60 for a good game.

all interest I had in this game has died. though I will admit there wasn't much interest to begin with, visually its very nice but gameplay wise it looks very boring anyway.

dab0ne

Super! And all the overpriced bullshit trinkets that they'll sell you will already be on the disc.

Capcapom?

Capcapom.

Valnen

F2P plus the pro. gen. dungeons announced earlier make me question how much of a game there even is.

It sounds like they're trying to monetize a tech demo.

Do you consider Diablo 2 a tech demo? Random dungeons =/= lack of content.

Worst exclusive game news ever.

Can't help reading that and thinking:

comic-book-guy.jpg

Teletraan1

Banned
This thread is a stark contrast to the Dota2 F2P confirmation.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=476321

That thread barely got 2 pages of pure jubilation and gaben flavored rimjobs for one of the biggest games out there. This thread is full of people crying that the sky is falling without even getting the details. Perhaps Capcom should have provided more details or a FAQ regarding their F2P setup while announcing the game as F2P to avoid the chicken little syndrome in this thread.

That thread barely got 2 pages of pure jubilation and gaben flavored rimjobs for one of the biggest games out there. This thread is full of people crying that the sky is falling without even getting the details. Perhaps Capcom should have provided more details or a FAQ regarding their F2P setup while announcing the game as F2P to avoid the chicken little syndrome in this thread.

Capcom don't exactly have a good track record.

Chake

Banned
Yeah I don't get it. Does Capcom hire from the B Team of voice talent for every game they make?

So many games do it flawlessly these days, bu Capcom games still sound like second rate English dubs of Saturday morning anime.

Huh? I actually the VAs were pretty good.

Also, the game looks expensive as hell, so i think P2W method is worse then what we have in mind. We might have to buy dungeons or something. The basic game would be just a lengthy demo.

neoemonk

Doesn't exactly fill me with confidence but I've been interested in this game since the first announcement so I'll try to keep an open mind. Puzzle and Dragons is free to play and I've been able to enjoy that without spending a time so hopefully the f2p will be implemented in a non-offensive manner.

ZERO1990

Neo Member
Why do I have a strange feeling about this game ever since it was announced to be F2P?

I'm still excited for it, but man, I dunno.. it's just unexplainable.

Clawww

Why do I have a strange feeling about this game ever since it was announced to be F2P?

I'm still excited for it, but man, I dunno.. it's just unexplainable.

It's literally brimming with potential, but there's so much potentially standing in the way.

Capcom should have provided more details or a FAQ regarding their F2P setup while announcing the game as F2P to avoid the chicken little syndrome in this thread.
Capcom don't exactly have a good track record.

And the fact that they didn't describe the monetization model is suspect of something unpleasant to hide. I have zero reason to blissfully look forward to it if I don't know how badly (or not) I'm going to get fleeced or put up with artificial armor/health/stamina barriers.

Nalsh

Consider this:
A game where the overworld is free, and then to play 'instances' or 'dungeons', you buy each one for a couple bucks. Could be a smart business model because if you buy a dungeon and your friends want to play, they'll also buy the dungeon. Maybe even add a content creation system.

Thoughts?

KoopaTheCasual

Consider this:
A game where the overworld is free, and then to play 'instances' or 'dungeons', you buy each one for a couple bucks. Could be a smart business model because if you buy a dungeon and your friends want to play, they'll also buy the dungeon. Maybe even add a content creation system.

Thoughts?

I feel like that depends entirely on the dungeon pricing model, and how everything else is monetized.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
I really don't see the issue of F2P - just a different pricing schedule. My concerns lie in game play and I don't think this affects it all.

looks to me like a neat tech demo that was converted into a game

Nalsh

I feel like that depends entirely on the dungeon pricing model, and how everything else is monetized.

Alright let's say you have a AAA-quality (whatever that means), 60-90 minute dungeon. How much would you pay for that dungeon experience, considering you didn't pay an up-front cost?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Well generally Valve had shown their vision of f2p with TF2 whereas Capcom has not shown a good vision nor announced how this works differently from their previous f2p games.

Vitor711

Oh my God - has anyone here actually played a decent F2P game and not just read iOS horror stories?

Just go out and look at DOTA 2 - possibly the single best competitive multiplayer game on the planet right now and the only things you can buy are cosmetics which have no gameplay impact. And the game is still profitable as heck for Valve. It's the perfect F2P game and is horribly overlooked. Why people don't copy its model more is mind-boggling. If Capcom just follow their route, it'd be amazing.

Don't write off F2P as a knee-jerk reaction when it isn't all doom and gloom. Sure, Japanese devs don't have an amazing history with this sort of stuff but why instantly assume the worst?

QaaQer

Consider this:

Thoughts?

I have no problem with games being sold in chapters/segments/dungeons/whatever. In fact, it would be great as new content would always be coming and developers would have a steady stream of income. But that is not f2p, even with a free overworld.

Alright let's say you have a AAA-quality (whatever that means), 60-90 minute dungeon. How much would you pay for that dungeon experience, considering you didn't pay an up-front cost?

I'm fine with $5/hour. But to be successful, I think it would have to be no more than $15 per month. So if an average player was playing 25 hours a month, that would be <$1 per dungeon.

Top Bottom