• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DEEP DOWN - PS4 Exclusive, Random Dungeons+Monsters, Online Only play @ TGS

Wagram

I have to say that i'm excited by this. I don't particularly care for the online only element, but if they can at least replicate half the awesome-sauce of Demon/Dark Soul's then i'm in.

Really surprised this is a PS4 exclusive though.

Why does people think that Demon's Souls 2 won't happen?
Like Sony doesn't know the value of that IP?

And no, Dark Souls is not Demon's Souls 2. Same concept, different approaches.

Wray

Game looks great, but man randomly generated dungeons is such a huge turnoff. Give me well designed dungeons with lore and backstory with bosses with backstory and lore to kill in them.

Minyobi

Exactly. I would happily miss out on some games I would potentially like if it meant the games I did get were tailored to my machine. I hate this multiplatform junk they churn out these days.

I love me some exclusives, but I wouldn't go that far.
Some of the most celebrated modern games (not to mention some of my own favorites) were multiplats with PC releases on top of that.

Raoh

And that video in turn also has bad compression, it's just not as obvious when there are slow tracking shots. In the quick-edit bits, it looks equally terrible. The takeaway is that Youtube compression is killing the image quality.

I mean, just how bad does this look?
yy5zIWG.jpg

Few gameplay grabs from the Sony Playstation Life trailer. Lots of compression (YouTube video), but you can see how fantastic it looks. Can't believe how close they got for an online only game, and with such an early build.

DEEPDOWN4.jpg~original

DEEPDOWN2.jpg~original

DEEPDOWN3.jpg~original

DEEPDOWN1.jpg~original

Is that an Augite of Guidence I saw him walking with or is he just happy to see me?

If I had to chose what game, DR3 or Deep Down, to be exclusive to my platform of choice it would be this.

I'm getting the warm and fuzzies on this one.

tumblr_mnhsapAkZV1rmkvvyo1_400.gif

Multiplayer 3D randomly generated dungeon crawler?

Yes please.

As usually, I remain hopefully optimistic that it doesn't turn out to be shit.

Copenap

Multiplayer 3D randomly generated dungeon crawler?

Yes please.

As usually, I remain hopefully optimistic that it doesn't turn out to be shit.
Of course there's always something that can go wrong but if they nail the combat, loot system and random generated dungeons together with the fantastic graphics it could be a megaton pretty early in this gens lifecycle.

Oh my, just thinking of all the co-op fun in an unlimited amount of new dungeons with loot to find makes me dream.

Osaka15

Banned
I hope their will be scale in this game and we can explore the outside world. It looks very good and I can not wait to see more

Not sure how I feel about always online. Do they mean a persistent online single-player game like Demon's Souls, or will this game have people running around all over the place and boot you from the game if you get signed out of PSN?

And will the time travel/memories mechanic be enough to totally turn me off of the game? Only time will tell. The stupid conceit turned me off to Assassin's Creed so who knows. Depends on how much we have to deal with what is sure to be the moronic present-day storyline.

IvorB

I love me some exclusives, but I wouldn't go that far.
Some of the most celebrated modern games (not to mention some of my own favorites) were multiplats with PC releases on top of that.

Okay fair enough. There are a lot of multiplatform games that are awesome. I should rather say I hate this multiplatform development. It's lowest common denominator stuff and ignores the unique strengths of each console.

Vamphuntr

This is made by Capcom Online games so I'm not sure I have high hopes for this. It looks pretty so far but I'm not expecting much from them.

Part of the fun of Demon Souls was the planned stages that were so very well laid out in advance.

Exactly. They allow for better balance and enemy placement. Randomly generated stuff is very limited in that regard but it does a good job of remaininig fresh to a degree every time you go back to them

velociraptor

Exactly. They allow for better balance and enemy placement. Randomly generated stuff is very limited in that regard but it does a good job of remaininig fresh to a degree every time you go back to them
Warframe is an example of a game which has randomly generated content.

It works pretty well (you don't end up playing the same levels over and over again) but the level design and visuals look recycled.

Few gameplay grabs from the Sony Playstation Life trailer. Lots of compression (YouTube video), but you can see how fantastic it looks. Can't believe how close they got for an online only game, and with such an early build.

DEEPDOWN4.jpg~original

DEEPDOWN2.jpg~original

DEEPDOWN3.jpg~original

DEEPDOWN1.jpg~original

Fantastic. Should be in the OP.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm pretty interested in this. Capcom better not mess this up and release this in Japan 8 months ahead of the west. This game looks far more western than Japanese.

Begaria

Diablo Souls? Count me in! I don't even care it's online only. Diablo 3 conditioned me for this. What have you done, Blizzard!?

im interested in the random monsters. i assume all the creation of the monster is based on data that will be random to a certain extent?

GorillaJu

Online play certainly diminishes my excitement, because I really hoped for a proper Dragon's Dogma sequel, or at least a spiritual successor based on the same concept (world traversal, tight combat, pawns and a mindfuck story).

DEEPDOWN4.jpg~original

DEEPDOWN2.jpg~original

DEEPDOWN3.jpg~original

DEEPDOWN1.jpg~original

Those that are trying to downplay the visuals are completely crazy. Deep down looks fantastic and it's pretty damned obvious that the first tech demo was "in-engine".

Warframe is an example of a game which has randomly generated content.

It works pretty well (you don't end up playing the same levels over and over again) but the level design and visuals look recycled.

The design is fine but when they reuse assets and similar colour schemes and textures it's all pointless cos it just looks like a different version of the same thing

I think well designed maps are still better

im interested in the random monsters. i assume all the creation of the monster is based on data that will be random to a certain extent?
Monster behavior and ai will be more important than how they look, I hope they have some really varied enemy ai to fight against

sublimit

Banned
Online play certainly diminishes my excitement, because I really hoped for a proper Dragon's Dogma sequel, or at least a spiritual successor based on the same concept (world traversal, tight combat, pawns and a mindfuck story).

We will have Dragon's Dogma 2 for all that.

IvorB

Anyone else a bit tired of seeing dragons all the time? I feel like they need to raid the D&D monster's compendium and bring some fresh creatures to the table. Maybe more demons, I dunno. Possibly a beholder, but no more dragons please...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I hope there are some more varied environments in the final game, these brown caves and ruins are gonna get old pretty fast.

Violater

Looked like a glorified tech demo to me. The premise sounds like the throw away MP portion of of a SP game, with the horrible catch being there is no SP

Top Bottom