• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DEEP DOWN - PS4 Exclusive, Random Dungeons+Monsters, Online Only play @ TGS

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
gw-slap.gif

Dude. What? I think you're misreading me here.

I can't believe the number of people disappointed by randomly generated dungeons. Have people not played Diablo before? This is probably a loot based dungeon crawler game, makes sense for it to have random elements.

I am very interested in the skills and combat.

Randomly generated will be fine, if they put enough work into making sure they are of quality.

People just care too much about graphics. I guess is the same all over the internet.

Well, a game like this has to be seen properly to be appreciated the way the devs intended. We can barely even see the combat well enough in the stuff available so far. I'm not looking forward to a bunch of dungeons in an online only game, though, unless the gameplay and other stuff really does look incredible. The gameplay is going to have to sell this game

Tailzo

It certainly looks good. So I'm interested. Online only can be good, but I appreciated being able to play offline in DeS and DaS whenever I didn't have a connection.

It looked like a Demon's Souls at times. But I have to accustom to the weird game design with mind reading and stuff. The game has my interest. I need to see how it plays.

enhance.... enhance....
yy5zIWG.jpg

You cant see any details
I know, right? And that's the original reveal. It's what happens when you take the direct-feed 1080p, edit it much faster, and upload to Youtube. Compression hurts already, and it hurts worse when there's frantic action onscreen.

That's why I think the graphics shown today are very close to the original reveal: even through compression you can see about the same stuff. (Of course, we can't be sure until we get direct-feed with low compression.)

This would have been my first interesting PS4 game till FFXV comes out. And then they make it online only...

Cacpcom, announce Dragon's Dogma 2 to make up for this!

Bsigg12

Again, where says is exclusive?
Because maybe we'll see another Codemasters-Sony situation, Sony helped Codemasters to create Neon Engine and Dirt was released in X360.

The translator said something unique to PS4 so .wondering if its just lost in translation.

fraktur

Is this the first fully 3D game with random generated levels? I mean I know Diablo is randomly generated but that's isometric view. I don't think I have personally played a game like what they are describing.
./hack series had random levels
as did p3/4 with a few "special" stages which were the same all the time.

Seanspeed

Banned
Online only really blows. I don't mind that in a shooter, but I like to take my time and play by myself in RPG's for the most part. Even in Dark Souls, I preferred playing alone.

Looks like they're basically ripping off the Souls series in terms of atmosphere and combat, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I think the greatness of the combat would be reduced without the challenge in the Souls series. Hopefully they've ripped that off as well!

Wont make a judgement of the graphics since I cant really tell from that.

Soi-Fong

The translator said something unique to PS4 so .wondering if its just lost in translation.

SCE engineers helping with the engine along with the "unique" to PS4 statement pretty much confirms this as a PS4 exclusive. MS gets DR3 and Sony gets Deep Down.

Dahbomb

./hack series had random levels
as did p3/4 with a few "special" stages who were the same all he time.
I see, haven't played those games so I don't know. Still I would have to imagine that this is a big undertaking with that level of visual fidelity. With the type of game this is supposed to be the visuals are excellent.

I like the aesthetics and the dark gritty medieval art design. Gameplay seems interesting though I don't like much the crosshair mechanic, for it to work enemies would require to be very slow. Maybe there are other elements that makes gameplay more fluent.
Hope it to be good and its sequel to be on XB1.

And that video in turn also has bad compression, it's just not as obvious when there are slow tracking shots. In the quick-edit bits, it looks equally terrible. The takeaway is that Youtube compression is killing the image quality.

I mean, just how bad does this look?
yy5zIWG.jpg

There's still a very clear difference between what we're seeing now and what we saw in February is all I'm saying. But when you take into a account its actually a game now and not just a tech demo its expected.

What is it with Japanese game trailers having a full conversation going on while music is blaring and writing flashing on the screen?

majik13

There's still a very clear difference between what we're seeing now and what we saw in February is all I'm saying. But when you take into a account its actually a game now and not just a tech demo its expected.

We could maybe see the reveals IQ when in cut scenes, perhaps. The bumped up IQ in cut scenes in Dragons Dogma and I think RE?

Can anyone play only online games or do you still need a gold membership? I'm thinking that only online games will be under the same free online policy that free to play games are going to have.

Well, I do think a couple cut corners are possible coming off an in-engine showcase. For example, the shadowing didn't seem as good in the new footage. But I'm pretty convinced that as we get low-compression screens of the demo, the apparent gap between the reveal and now will shrink dramatically. By the actual game launch, I'd bet it'll look on par to everyone but the most discriminating.

We'll see.

did I hear it wrong, or SCE is also working on the PhantaRey engine together with Capcom?

can Capcom even use the engine outside ps4 games now? or maybe it's gonna be engine that Sony share to everyone like the Phyre engine?

Horp

Diablo Souls.

I read that in this thread. I like the term and I'm hyped.
I'm hyped for this. Don't get all the hate for online only actually. Is it because people assumed it would be an offline game first or something? Haven't heard many complain about WoW or Titanfall being "online-only". We just call it multiplayer games.

Ok...what does online-only mean in this context?

Like, an online-only shooter is usually MP-only with some DM modes, maps and no bots.
90% of those don't interest me at all.

But here, the enemies are not other players but monsters in dungeons. So... what's the online-only no-sp part, are you forced to play in coop? The trailer is showing just one guy.
I guess it works like in MH? Just no single player mode whatsoever (to save costs/time?), have to be connected to their servers and the monsters are probably hard to beat w/o the help of other players (how many???).

Like, an online-only shooter is usually MP-only with some DM modes, maps and no bots.

But here, the enemies are not other player but monsters in dungeons. So... what's the online-only no-sp part, are you forced to play in coop? The trailer is showing just one guy.
I guess it works like in MH? Just no single player mode whatsoever (to save costs/time?), have to be connected to their servers and the monsters are probably hard to beat w/o the help of other players (how many???).

I think its like diablo 3.

madmackem

The whole thing.

Your getting that from a pixelated stuttering low res stream, really?. It might be better than the reveal it might be worse i dont think we can say either way till we see direct feed or at least better quality video. Even then its alpha code which hasnt got a release date yet has it?.

Haunted

I like everything I hear about the structure of this.

MT Framework was a great engine, and Capcom were one of the few Japanese companies who had an effective, good-looking engine running early and managed to capitalise on that with some high profile game releases over the last generation. Looks like they might be able to repeat that feat with Panty Raid.

But here, the enemies are not other player but monsters in dungeons. So... what's the online-only no-sp part, are you forced to play in coop? The trailer is showing just one guy.

I'm not sure about this, but can you play diablo 3 offline even in single player? I thought there's a commotion about that.

Well, I do think a couple cut corners are possible coming off an in-engine showcase. For example, the shadowing didn't seem as good in the new footage. But I'm pretty convinced that as we get low-compression screens of the demo, the apparent gap between the reveal and now will shrink dramatically. By the actual game launch, I'd bet it'll look on par to everyone but the most discriminating.

We'll see.

Indeed we shall.

Raymo

Maybe OP should mention SCE Engineers helping to develop the engine. It's sorta related to the exclusivity.

Krilekk

Banned
Your getting that from a pixelated stuttering low res stream, really?. It might be better than the reveal it might be worse i dont think we can say either way till we see direct feed or at least better quality video. Even then its alpha code which hasnt got a release date yet has it?.

Reveal: Pixelated Youtube video, dubbed by everyone too good to be real.

Second showing: Pixelated Youtube video, dubbed not as good as the reveal.

Yes, Youtube videos don't show the truth but comparing two Youtube videos is entirely possible. It looks like a step down. Still good, though.

I think its like diablo 3.

Yeah that would make sense. Maybe w/o much story/cutscenes etc.

Online-coop I don't mind if it's anything like a Monster Hunter X Demon's Souls mix with randomly-generated Diablo dungeons. Though I would like if at least parts can be done solo if you want (don't care that much about needing the internet connection like with D3).

AlphaQuack

Neo Member
Shame they've given up on the vibrant world of Dragon's Dogma, cuz that game was something else. And on top of that it was ridicoulusly entertaining.

My gut feeling tells me Deep Down is gonna be good, but they need to make it fun and not turn it into a Demon Soul's copy.

Odrion

Banned
So we're POSITIVE this is a PS4 exclusive? It's just so weird it took until now to know.

By "Unique", they could just mean this version will have a custom engine (designed with help by Sony) to take advantage of the technology. You know, one of those "40% Better" versions.

I don't know! It's weird! Why didn't we know this was an exclusive sooner?!

Maybe OP should mention SCE Engineers helping to develop the engine. It's sorta related to the exclusivity.

Mh, but I wonder who owns the IP. I guess Capcom, kinda unusual for Sony to help out with he development then. Must be a tight deal for the exclusivity then.

So we're POSITIVE this is a PS4 exclusive? It's just so weird it took until now to know.

By "Unique", they could just mean this version will have a custom engine (designed with help by Sony) to take advantage of the technology. You know, one of those "40% Better" versions.

I don't know! It's weird! Why didn't we know this was an exclusive sooner?!

If Sony is helping develop tools then it's obviously exclusive.

madmackem

Reveal: Pixelated Youtube video, dubbed by everyone too good to be real.

Second showing: Pixelated Youtube video, dubbed not as good as the reveal.

Yes, Youtube videos don't show the truth but comparing two Youtube videos is entirely possible. It looks like a step down. Still good, though.

We got way better video of the reveal than we have of this video atm.

Top Bottom