• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon Gaze |OT| Even heroes have to pay rent

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/04/25/demon-gaze-ships-180000-units-worldwide/

Well shiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.
I know it is shipped, but dang, that is A LOT for such a niche product since I am pretty sure 90% of those number are probably preordered.

Because really...who buys Vita JRPG but us fans?
YES! NIS will continue more ports for us.

Some good news there!

I hope Natural Doctrine will hit the expected mark for the West also, since it didnt do too hot in Japan. D: Guess its going to have to all come down to marketing the title on the gameplay, rather than graphics.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I was unamused by the article because there are a ton of units unsold and on-shelf at the Gamestop I frequent.

Really happy to hear about the sales!!!!
Bring on more dungeon crawlers!!!

Some good news there!

I hope Natural Doctrine will hit the expected mark for the West also, since it didnt do too hot in Japan. D: Guess its going to have to all come down to marketing the title on the gameplay, rather than graphics.

Does "Natural Doctrine" get the Parakeetman seal of approval?
I admit I'm not familiar with it at all. When is it coming to USA?

Parakeetman

Really happy to hear about the sales!!!!
Bring on more dungeon crawlers!!!

Does "Natural Doctrine" get the Parakeetman seal of approval?
I admit I'm not familiar with it at all. When is it coming to USA?

Yeah I enjoy it, but seriously its one of the more "insane" type of designs with gameplay. Since its really easy to get steamrolled by the enemy if you screw up. I have a bunch of footage in the import thread turned OT. To get anywhere in the game one really needs to understand how the chain initiative system works or else making progress will be close to impossible. One thing for sure is "reviews" will be interesting. I await delicious tears.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=795635

The graphics and such are nothing impressive, but for challenging gameplay and an original type of game system Natural Doctrine has it. People in Japan refer to it as a ”Mazoge- マゾげー" or "masochist game" lol

fedexpeon

Banned
Oh :(

XboxOne math :(

Nah, not close to how X1 tries to spin their sold in numbers.
Just remember this is a very niche product on an even niche hardware.
Retailers won't order this game like hotcake for the fricken Vita.
They only have 5 spaces on the shelves for Vita games...lol.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Nah, not close to how X1 tries to spin their sold in numbers.
Just remember this is a very niche product on an even niche hardware.
Retailers won't order this game like hotcake for the fricken Vita.
They only have 5 spaces on the shelves for Vita games...lol.
They could have paid for the shelf space in efforts for a more intensive distribution.

Played this for a couple hours today. Its pretty great! Really pretty, good presentation for a dungeon crawler. Does not seem very intimidating.

Excited to play this some more :)

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/04/25/demon-gaze-ships-180000-units-worldwide/

Well shiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.
I know it is shipped, but dang, that is A LOT for such a niche product since I am pretty sure 90% of those number are probably preordered.

Because really...who buys Vita JRPG but us fans?
YES! NIS will continue more ports for us.

is 180k a big number for games like this? I hope they make a nice profit out of these and we got more games like this localized.

Parakeetman

That's cool. If people are buying niche Vita JRPG's it's hard for me to be upset, even though I don't care for the game.
I like some of the music though

Oh yeah sorry forgot to answer the question for a US release. The only info thats been out is a Fall 2014 window it seems. Also the whole "game over man, game over!" part of the OT title isnt a joke. You really will be seeing that screen a lot while getting used to the game lol.

jzbluz

Finally got around to playing this and it can be surprisingly hard, but that might be because I made the mistake of choosing a wizard at first. I had to restart because I'm not a good enough player to make a wizard work in the beginning. I picked a ranger this time and so far it's been way easier.

I only bought the game because it was sale but it's more fun than I thought and the art has grown on me.

is 180k a big number for games like this? I hope they make a nice profit out of these and we got more games like this localized.

Well, Experience inc. was an extremely niche rpg developer before Demon Gaze. They made games only for PC and 360 and were happy for it to sell 5000 units. According to the last media create, Demon Gaze was last charted at around 50k last year. Along with budget rereleases and now the western release, I'm sure the game is wildly successful to them. That means in the period of last year and this year, they sold an extra 130k units. I do not know if the 180k includes western release but those are extremely great numbers and comes close to Etrian Odyssey 4's sales in both regions.

Not bad for their first try on the Vita.

Parakeetman

Well, Experience inc. was an extremely niche rpg developer before Demon Gaze. They made games only for PC and 360 and were happy for it to sell 5000 units. According to the last media create, Demon Gaze was last charted at around 50k last year. Along with budget rereleases and now the western release, I'm sure the game is wildly successful to them. That means in the period of last year and this year, they sold an extra 130k units. I do not know if the 180k includes western release but those are extremely great numbers and comes close to Etrian Odyssey 4's sales in both regions.

Not bad for their first try on the Vita.

Actually no the 360 thing was a little later in the game when they were starting to break out and move from PC to home / handheld consoles. The more correct info is that they were a niche Wizardry type of game developer mainly for the PC. Their original games from the Generation Xth series came in pretty cheap looking dvd cases. The first game they actually had a proper box for was the Students of Round series. For whatever reason after that the PC release of Meikyu Cross Blood is worth an insane amount of money the original one.

Anyways after that they started to release games on the Xbox (Students of the Round / Meikyu Cross Blood Reloaded and PSP (Students of the Round: The Eternal LEgend). Then finally the PS Vita (Demon Gaze, Meikyu Cross Blood Infinity).

Next up is the finally out of development hell Stranger of Sword City. Xbox, PC, then PS Vita.

About to fight
hermes
and I'm leveling my crew for the encounter.

Anyways after that they started to release games on the Xbox (Students of the Round / Meikyu Cross Blood Reloaded and PSP (Students of the Round: The Eternal LEgend). Then finally the PS Vita (Demon Gaze, Meikyu Cross Blood Infinity).

Next up is the finally out of development hell Stranger of Sword City. Xbox, PC, then PS Vita.

Do you think Cross Blood Infinity has a chance of coming to NA before Stranger of Sword City? Or do you think it's too old school in design and it will just get passed over?
Genuinely curious what you think

Parakeetman

About to fight
hermes
and I'm leveling my crew for the encounter.

Do you think Cross Blood Infinity has a chance of coming to NA before Stranger of Sword City? Or do you think it's too old school in design and it will just get passed over?
Genuinely curious what you think

Thats hard to say. But seeing as how we have the upcoming Tokyo New World Record - Operation Abyss is either a remake or related to the same world as the Generation Xth series which Cross Blood is based off of, on top of the artwork has been redone with the same folks behind Demon Gaze, good chance it might not come out. As would overlap with each other if they released both.

Also with the newer version of Meikyu Cross Blood Infinity Ultimate coming out after Tokyo New World Record: Operation Abyss in Japan, its not like they would have the content to work on a version of MCB:IU before hand to release before TNWR:OA comes out allowing for data to transfer over. If that makes sense. Which would be the only logical way to release it.

If for example NISA does try to go that route, it will seriously delay the release of TNWR:OA and not too sure if they would want to do that as the game would be able to ride off the popularity of Demon Gaze with the related artwork style.

Now perhaps they could release MCB:IU down the line, but not sure if it would be all that popular considering the art style is a little different. Even with the updated avatars for use during character creation, the in game characters with the story are different.

Its a hard call really. But personally if it was me having to decide one over the other most def would go with TNWR:OA just due to as mentioned it being able to ride the wave created from Demon Gaze.

Now all of what I just said above ties into what you asked about MCB:I(U) vs. Stranger of Sword City as whoever would publish it, which we will imagine would be NISA will have to pick between MCBI(U) and TNWR:OA. Which would lead to MCBI(U) being eliminated personally in favor of TNWR:OA.

Now this is all going along the scenario that NISA had not already secured rights with Kadokawa before TNWR:OA was announced. Since that would change things.

Just got utterly destroyed and lost about 40 minutes of dungeon exploring. That feel of death....

Its a hard call really. But personally if it was me having to decide one over the other most def would go with TNWR:OA just due to as mentioned it being able to ride the wave created from Demon Gaze.

I'm ok with this. So, best case scenario, do you think TNWR:OA takes a year to get brought here?
I'm trying to guess how long I have to wait to play another game by these guys.

Parakeetman

I'm ok with this. So, best case scenario, do you think TNWR:OA takes a year to get brought here?

Just got utterly destroyed and lost about 40 minutes of dungeon exploring. That feel of death....

Thats a hard call really. Since if any talks were initiated with the previous publisher, then everything shelved and now that its under a different one again. Im not sure how to read it.

Though since they had the game finished a while ago, since the original date was Jan 23rd? I think. With that in mind if NISA did have a contract with them to bring it over the chances of it being worked on is good. Considering the build was already finished. Now thats only considering if EXP had 100% control over the game to license it out to another company without the ok from the publisher too. As we do not know the details of that from the little news out there asides from that the game changed hands.

Now with the "imaginary" scenario in mind that if NISA already was working together with EXP to localize the game I would say that possibly October (overly optimistic) - December kind of timeline perhaps. Though at the same time too, they will have to try and fit it into a release schedule that wont get too overshadowed by other titles. Where a situation would be folks having to pick between titles. Since I dont really follow US release dates and such, would have to rely on others to fill things in.

On the more realistic side of things, I would imagine EXP would want to watch and see how sales did in general with their niche genre in the West, before deciding to commit resources towards another localization project. Also since they are a smaller studio and working on Strangers of Sword City for the PC / Vita not sure what kind of internal resources they would have to be working on a localized version of the title at the same time. Id imagine the PC version of SoSC is already done though and they just staggered out the release to try to make some money back on the X360 version. Already a lot of voices on the internet are saying they either want the PC or are willing to wait only for the Vita version.

Thats a hard call really. Since if any talks were initiated with the previous publisher, then everything shelved and now that its under a different one again. Im not sure how to read it.

Though since they had the game finished a while ago, since the original date was Jan 23rd? I think. With that in mind if NISA did have a contract with them to bring it over the chances of it being worked on is good. Considering the build was already finished. Now thats only considering if EXP had 100% control over the game to license it out to another company without the ok from the publisher too. As we do not know the details of that from the little news out there asides from that the game changed hands.

Yeah I read something somewhere about that.
I guess I better savor this game since I might be waiting for awhile before getting another Experience RPG.

Wasn't the publisher for Meikyuu Cross Blood Infinity shut down?

I would imagine the rights for the game be in limbo, making it hard for anyone in the west to obtain the license for it.

Parakeetman

Wasn't the publisher for Meikyuu Cross Blood Infinity shut down?

I would imagine the rights for the game be in limbo, making it hard for anyone in the west to obtain the license for it.

That was Cyberfront, but it appears that 5pb has it now. Since they are releasing that version of Meikyuu Cross Blood Infinity Unlimited in August, which would be the version that NISA if anything would want to get. As it will have updated features that can tie into TNWR:OA. Though the odd thing is in Japan TNWR:OA comes out first and MCBIU comes out after. So its a little backwards.

Shengar

Thats hard to say. But seeing as how we have the upcoming Tokyo New World Record - Operation Abyss is either a remake or related to the same world as the Generation Xth series which Cross Blood is based off of, on top of the artwork has been redone with the same folks behind Demon Souls, good chance it might not come out. As would overlap with each other if they released both.

What is this game you guys been talking about?

*sigh... I had to have the Limited Edition - put the order in back in Feb - and NISA sent me the confirmation emails that my order has been shipped four days ago, but it's slow cartage getting it up here to Canada it would seem... Oh well, guess I'll finish off FFX; looks like I got several days to do it...

This looks great; can't wait to get into it!

Parakeetman

What is this game you guys been talking about?

Wrong one meant to type Demon Gaze, was reading another article at the same time while typing that lol. Was just about to edit it too when I looked back and saw it was wrong.

Parakeetman

We might get Labyrinth Cross-Blood Infinity.

As mentioned if they did that though, would put a huge delay with getting Tokyo New World Record: Operation Abyss, which would be kinda bad. As it can ride off the hype from Demon Gaze now.

That and the two games would basically overlap each other with setting / mechanics. So not too sure if thats really a good idea to release it.

Shengar

Wrong one meant to type Demon Gaze, was reading another article at the same time while typing that lol. Was just about to edit it too when I looked back and saw it was wrong.

Aw man, what a bummer :(
Is there any gridder dungeon crawler on the horizon? I remember saw one for 360, and it have pretty arts. Not sure if its a dungeon crawler though.

Parakeetman

Is there any gridder dungeon crawler on the horizon? I remember saw one for 360, and it have pretty arts. Not sure if its a dungeon crawler though.

Yes thats Stranger of Sword City: White Palace. Comes out June 6th here. Got a copy on order already and will be doing the impression thread / OT thing again. i just hope their homepage has enough resources i can "borrow" to do up graphics. I just pray my JP 360 will still be working...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=804711

One problem with titles that have a lot of nice art like that is usually the content within said game is a little less, with a lot of reused resources. So will have to see how that is when the game comes out.

Shengar

Yes thats Stranger of Sword City: White Palace. Comes out June 6th here. Got a copy on order already and will be doing the impression thread / OT thing again. i just hope their homepage has enough resources i can "borrow" to do up graphics. I just pray my JP 360 will still be working...

While Demon Gaze is fun for me, the art isn't really up to my taste. Sword City: White Palace much more up to my alley with that art, though I hope it's not just art that good but also the gameplay. I hope NISA localize this too. If it come with an artbook for the LE, I'll use importer service just to get it lol

One problem with titles that have a lot of nice art like that is usually the content within said game is a little less, with a lot of reused resources. So will have to see how that is when the game comes out.

I read an article at siliconera where one of the game designers said they are working on another game in addition to Stranger of Sword City, so there's more coming. I'll see if I can find it

Parakeetman

While Demon Gaze is fun for me, the art isn't really up to my taste. Sword City: White Palace much more up to my alley with that art, though I hope it's not just art that good but also the gameplay. I hope NISA localize this too. If it come with an artbook for the LE, I'll use importer service just to get it lol

The gameplay looks like its going to be a lot harder than their previous titles and on top of that seems to have traps in the dungeons and such. If you watch the trailer you can see a lot of death going on.

I have high hopes for it.

Anyways enough derailing the thread. MORE TALK ABOUT DEMON GAZE PEOPLE MOAR

Here it is:
siliconera said:
In addition to the mentioned project (Stranger), Experience have announced a new one that is currently in the works. The new title will be announced soon and it will have a core system that appeals to the older fans of dungeon crawling RPGs, similar to The Stranger In Alda.

Parakeetman

you know it would be hilarious if it was TNWR:OA thats being talked about. Since dont think it was announced back then. Reason being is TNWR:OA was announced around september or october 2013 I think? Looking at things, quite possibly that is the case here. As they have not announced anything else since I do believe. And in general the Generation Xth universe is a more mature story.

It seems I need to step up my healer.
Also, how Paladin use skills?

My paladin is level 6 or 7 and IIRC all of her skills right now are passive, meaning that they happen on their own in combat. For example, when getting hit you'll sometimes see a message about their "Immaculate Body", which means that the skill activated and they took less damage.

Parakeetman

It seems I need to step up my healer.
Also, how Paladin use skills?

Yeah the paladin skills are passive for the time being. I need to find my post on that here, one sec.

Ok the lv 1 Divine Body and lv 4 Front Guard are passive skills. The active ones are Holy Charge, Devotion, Providence. Passive skills are Divine Body,
Front Guard, Holy Guard.

Shengar

My paladin is level 6 or 7 and IIRC all of her skills right now are passive, meaning that they happen on their own in combat. For example, when getting hit you'll sometimes see a message about their "Immaculate Body", which means that the skill activated and they took less damage.

Yeah the paladin skills are passive for the time being. I need to find my post on that here, one sec.

Much as I thought, so I need her frequently used guard command then? Thanks.

Lunar Curtain is a nice step up. Although, rotating tiles are pretty pointless on a map like this. Not to mention that visible gazer memos would make them pointless on any map.

Top Bottom