• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon Gaze |OT| Even heroes have to pay rent

Raggie

At any rate I really enjoyed my time with the game. Some of the bosses that recovered a big chunk of health every few turns were pretty annoying but other than that this is a really solid game. Also my first time playing a first person dungeon crawler like this. What would be other go to dungeon crawlers I should check out later when I have more free time? Etrian Odyssey has always jumped out to me as one I'd like to check out but I'm not sure of what others might be good to look into.

I once wrote a list of gridder recs... Just let me check and copypaste...

This is by no means a comprehensive list. It includes games I have played and personally like, or are commonly recommended by others. I have not included games that are either legally unavailable, or so old that they would be very difficult to get into for someone who doesn't have that much experience with gridders.

PSP (Vita compatible)

-Elminage: Original
The reviews were very poor because the localization was terrible. The problems were fixed in a later patch, so feel free to ignore the review scores. It's a terrific game, and my favorite Wizardry clone.

-Class of Heroes 2
This game suffered from the bad reputation of the first game in the series, but everyone seems to agree the second game is heaps better than the first one.

-Unchained Blades
I haven't played it but it's similar to the two games above.

iPhone/iPod

-Doom 2 RPG
Made by the same guys as Orcs & Elves, so it's very similar. Surprisingly good.

-Undercroft
Very good, and completely FREE!

DS/3DS

-Etrian Odyssey series
Probably the most newbie-friendly Wizardry-like available, especially the newer ones. The first game in the series got a remake for 3DS called Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl. It's probably the best to start either with that, or EO IV.

-Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
I can't say much about this one since I haven't played it, except that it's gotten good reviews and it has a futuristic setting.

-Orcs & Elves
A streamlined, turn-based gridder without random encounters (you can see the monsters in the dungeon). A very short, but fun little snack.

PC

-Legend of Grimrock
A Dungeon Master clone, which means it has less emphasis on character building and more on puzzles. Real-time combat. If you like these things, this game is highly recommended.

-Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos
Like the game above, it's a Dungeon Master clone. An oldie, but still pretty and very easy to get into. You can buy this from http://www.gog.com.

-Might and Magic 3-5
Turn-based combat, no random encounters, open sandbox world. The puzzles come in the form of riddles, not environmental puzzles like in Dungeon Master clones. The emphasis is on exploration. These are very old games, but they have aged surprisingly well and are some of the finest gridders available. You can buy the Might and Magic 6-pack, which includes these games, from www.gog.com.

-Might & Magic X - Legacy
Same as above, except prettier since it came out just this year. The general consensus is that it's an addictive, fun old-school gridder for both veterans and those who are new to MM.

Superflat

Yeah that sounds like a bug did you rearrange the party layout just in case?

Rearranged the team so that my longbow character was at the top, and she's still defending.

Screenshot I took because it looked so ridiculous:

UjElvRH.jpg

Why is this happeninnnnggggg

Wereroku

Rearranged the team so that my longbow character was at the top, and she's still defending.

UjElvRH.jpg

I am not sure longbow is a short range weapon. Reequip the top char with a sword or axe and see if that opens attack. I can't remember exactly how to move from front to back without the game in front of me.

Quixzlizx

Gear can add stats, and the game should show you the difference in armor/hit/etc instead of lazily showing you the gear you have on. Sorry that you're hurt about people "complaining" about a game you bought. You sound as defensive as the people salty over the mediocre reviews.

The only salty poster in here has been you. "I lost to the Goblin King, time to trade-in this game to Gamestop." I just assumed you were just being jokingly facetious at the time, but clearly not.

Which also begs the question of how much of the game you've actually played.

Lucentto

Banned

UjElvRH.jpg

Most of your characters are in the back row, that's why they are unable to attack. Check your party order again.

pariah164

I am not sure longbow is a short range weapon. Reequip the top char with a sword or axe and see if that opens attack. I can't remember exactly how to move from front to back without the game in front of me.
I think it's the 'Order' option on the menu screen. Bows need to be in the back, I think. But you need to have at least 1 party member in the front, equipped with a sword or some such.

fedexpeon

Banned

UjElvRH.jpg

Probably because it is a range weapon with either a M/L range, and you can't hit them being in front since that is point blank.

Ryuukan

The only salty poster in here has been you. "I lost to the Goblin King, time to trade-in this game to Gamestop." I just assumed you were just being jokingly facetious at the time, but clearly not.

Which also begs the question of how much of the game you've actually played.

2 hours and yes, salty over $40, rip

Superflat

Most of your characters are in the back row, that's why they are unable to attack. Check your party order again.

This was the prime suspect but for some reason it didn't seem to work. I thought I was going nuts, lol. I gave up and just restarted the game without saving. Using the earlier save it seems like it's back to normal, just got set back another half hour or so.

Not my flavor, but I'm sure some fangirl somewhere in the world is having a 'squee' moment.

He is quite the dashing elf.

pariah164

This was the prime suspect but for some reason it didn't seem to work. I thought I was going nuts, lol. I gave up and just restarted the game without saving. Using the earlier save it seems like it's back to normal, just got set back another half hour or so.
Weird. Glad it's working for you now though, despite the progress lost.

He is quite the dashing elf.
You say that and now all I can think of is this.

pariah164

somehow I cringed through that scene
It was kind of awkward, considering the MC is considered a guy no matter what.

On a different topic, what do ya'll suggest for my final party member? I have a Paladin, a Samurai, and a Healer. I know I need another back row fighter, I just don't know if I should go Wizard or Ranger.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
It was kind of awkward, considering the MC is considered a guy no matter what.

On a different topic, what do ya'll suggest for my final party member? I have a Paladin, a Samurai, and a Healer. I know I need another back row fighter, I just don't know if I should go Wizard or Ranger.
I picked ranger so I can use bows all the time.

Getting ready to fight
Mars. Only one circle left.
I'm guessing that now would be a good time to upgrade my party past two members? I guess that #3 will be a healer, should I grab another at this point as well?

pariah164

Getting ready to fight
I'm guessing that now would be a good time to upgrade my party past two members? I guess that #3 will be a healer, should I grab another at this point as well?
Yeah. fighting
Mars
with just two members is hard. Get a Mimsy Healer and level them up so they learn Multi Cure. Your life in Demon Gaze = instantly easier.

Even though I got a healer (still only level 3 though), I basically been using Comet as my heals me whenever she feels like it healer.

So my samurai dies alot.

Superflat

Getting ready to fight

Yea, adding your third party member should be pretty painless to your wallet. It's adding your 4th and 5th that killed my gold balance T_T

I didn't add a third until
Chronos
, and I didn't beat her until I got a fourth party member. Now I'm rockin all five.

Unfortunately, I accidentally picked up two fighters (one of them was supposed to be a paladin), so I'm kind of at a point where I should either buck up and stick with it or get an actual paladin in, at level one. Sigh.

current line up:

Gazer
Samurai
Fighter
Fighter
Healer

pariah164

So whats this healing staff trick guys? I could use it about now.
Healing staff is basically unlimited healing outside of battle. Equip it to your healer, and out of battle, go the menu, shift to your healer, select 'Use' and select the staff to heal up your party members. This is a godsend in the
Chronos
dungeon/maze.

Yea, adding your third party member should be pretty painless to your wallet. It's adding your 4th and 5th that killed my gold balance T_T

I didn't add a third until
Chronos
, and I didn't beat her until I got a fourth party member. Now I'm rockin all five.

Unfortunately, I accidentally picked up two fighters (one of them was supposed to be a paladin), so I'm kind of at a point where I should either buck up and stick with it or get an actual paladin in, at level one. Sigh.

current line up:

Gazer
Samurai
Fighter
Fighter
Healer

That's a tough choice. I've avoided adding anybody so far because I'm a cheapass and don't want to pay rent =P

Usually in these games I go melee / melee / healer / mage / thief, but no idea if that will work here. Still not sure what kind of class Gazer is actually, lol.

Healing staff is basically unlimited healing outside of battle. Equip it to your healer, and out of battle, go the menu, shift to your healer, select 'Use' and select the staff to heal up your party members. This is a godsend in the
Chronos
dungeon/maze.

Thanks. I guess I need to hire a healer. I only have a mage currently.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Why did people complain about the rent system? Doesnt seem hard to keep up with the payments.

Some folks found it a hassle which doesnt really add anything to the game, here in Japan. But they obviously missed the point that it ties in with the setting.

ZeroAKA

GamesRadar posted the lowest-scored review so far. A lot of things bothered me about the review, but...
Clunky first-person controls - Dungeon exploration looks and feels wonky, given the Vita's analog stick to use for navigation, so simple exploration can be frustrating until you become acclimated to the bizarre controls.
...just makes me feel that the reviewer didn't even spend enough time with the game to figure out that movement and camera can be controlled with the d-pad.

Parakeetman

GamesRadar posted the lowest-scored review so far. A lot of things bothered me about the review, but...

...just makes me feel that the reviewer didn't even spend enough time with the game to figure out that movement and camera can be controlled with the d-pad.

"game journalism"

There needs to be some sort of wall of shame website for shitty articles where the writer obviously is playing tales from his ass.

Same thing happened with monster hunter originally, from writeups you could tell most "reviewers" didnt even get past the tutorials.

ZeroAKA

"game journalism"

There needs to be some sort of wall of shame website for shitty articles where the writer obviously is playing tales from his ass.

Same thing happened with monster hunter originally, from writeups you could tell most "reviewers" didnt even get past the tutorials.
Did you read the review? You'd probably get a kick out of it.

pariah164

Oh WOW. This guy... I don't even know what to say to that.

I will say this: For me, Demon Gaze blows Conception II out of the water as far as a game worth $40 is concerned.

"game journalism"

I remember how Famitsu only played the intro of some long games and unfairly based scores on them. If I remember the games I'll post them, but I remember being upset.
Edit: Reading the review. Had to laugh at some stuff.

Parakeetman

Did you read the review? You'd probably get a kick out of it.

I tend not to read most reviews on games based off of the wizardry series, or most reviews at all. Since these days way too many "reviewers" who just sit around and cry about shit. Or why wasnt the game made exactly for them. etc. Biggest mistake is WAAAAAH WHY ISNT THIS GAME ANOTHER GAME. Like her BRILLIANT comment about wondering why the demon gaze "system" isnt like SMT

Went through the article and yeah that was a complete waste of time as expected. Writer sounds mad salts.

tumblr_lthp73JYcp1qequos.gif

Seriously when someone writes a shit article like this you would think that its the job of the editor of the site to tell them to go back to their computer and write it over again.

With how Jim "is" in general I would have been surprised if he didnt like the game. Big plus for NISA considering how many folks follow the guy and listen to his stuff. But his article is a good example of what a properly written review should look like

I remember how Famitsu only played the intro of some long games and unfairly based scores on them. If I remember the games I'll post them, but I remember being upset.

Famitsu "reviews" are a joke and hence why they should be ignored for the most part. Seriously. Its why I always make fun of those who generally seem to eat up the scores given by famitsu. In this country most of the "real talk" comes from the bloggers and 2ch. Unfortunately those websites are a formatting mess / pain in the ass to navigate. Which is why I hardly go looking for things with titles I pick up.

This review is pretty bad, i have nothing against people not liking a game but almost all the negative point i saw could be applied to alot (if not most) of dungeon crawlers.

If someone wants to write an article slamming the game thats fine, but if you want to step in the ring you damned well better have the knowledge to back it up. Which that particular writer obviously does not. Compounded by her interjecting her own personal beliefs and other silly things such as "why isnt this game like game X". Once you start doing shit like that you pretty much already write yourself off as a shitty reviewer personally, since you do not have enough knowledge of said game to actually stay on topic about the design, merits, demerits. Then there is the whole obviously not familiar with the genre part.

Puru

This review is pretty bad, i have nothing against people not liking a game but almost all the negative point i saw could be applied to alot (if not most) of dungeon crawlers.

Pricken

Really stoked to finally be able pick this up today, since we Europeans had to wait until Friday as usual. It will be my first FPS dungeon-crawler, but I have a feeling that I'll enjoy it a bunch, really love the art!
And the lewd.

Parakeetman

Really stoked to finally be able pick this up today, since we Europeans had to wait until Friday as usual. It will be my first FPS dungeon-crawler, but I have a feeling that I'll enjoy it a bunch, really love the art!
And the lewd.

45WTDDt.png

---

One thing I never understand is why review sites or people who want to write reviews go and write on something they have no familiarity with at all? Its like do they think their readers would enjoy it? Its like having a tech or car mag written by people who are clueless about tech & cars. Yeah not exactly the best idea, which makes me wonder if thats what holds true for other mediums within the field, then what makes folks think its a good idea to do that with games too?

This is usually the result from such articles.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
And the lewd.
That's the reason I got into it.

TraBuch

Banned
Where's the clock tower? I'm in the castle and I finally got to the demon but now she says she'll be at the clock tower. I'm looking through the map and not seeing anything. Am I just missing something incredibly obvious?

Top Bottom