• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon Gaze |OT| Even heroes have to pay rent

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I just picked this up at gamestop. What should i be expecting?

5XSEiWR.jpg

Not really, but just expect a game that will give you a challenge. Also if you are familiar with the wizardry type of first person dungeon crawl sort of titles, then what you remember about those you can expect to generally find in this.

Though as in general with these titles expect grinding to take place as its stats / gear based. Both which require you to kill lots and lots of bad things lol. That also with how you need to purchase rooms to add new members to your party. Just go straight for the room purchases and dont worry about having to add new people for the extra 500. As every room rented comes with a character already (which you are free to edit).

At the start of the game since you will be just a 2 man crew w/ Comet, highly suggest saving up for at least a third party member to make things easier.

Ok heres the room cost breakdown. When you purchase a new room for rent it comes with a character too which can be taken as is or edited to your liking.

1st Room = Free from game event
2nd Room = 1000G
3rd Room = 5000 G
4th Room = 10,000 G

Making additional characters = 500G. Limit though is 3 and these will be on standby until you swap them with one of your other characters who are currently allocated to a room. Basically breakdown is 4 in rooms, 3 on standby.
DONT DO THIS TILL AFTER YOU RENTED ALL ROOMS. Or else you will be wasting money.

Parakeetman

Where's the clock tower? I'm in the castle and I finally got to the demon but now she says she'll be at the clock tower. I'm looking through the map and not seeing anything. Am I just missing something incredibly obvious?

Consider this spoilers but heres the map for the 1st and 2nd floor of the castle.

http://userdisk.webry.biglobe.ne.jp/011/337/54/N000/000/020/135967118103913209165_dg_0461b.jpg

http://userdisk.webry.biglobe.ne.jp/011/337/54/N000/000/020/135967120999913118873_dg_0423b.jpg

Was trying to look for the location info of the entrance to the clock tower since I dont remember myself, so best thing I can offer to you is just these maps for now.

vocab

I won't lie. Mars is pretty difficult for a first boss, but the game gives you a lot of options to deal with her. You are just fighting her too early.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I won't lie. Mars is pretty difficult for a first boss, but the game gives you a lot of options to deal with her. You are just fighting her too early.
I think it's the idea that you have to do something significant before returning to the inn (sine you gotta pay) that pushes us to finish an area in one go.

cj_iwakura

-Unchained Blades
I haven't played it but it's similar to the two games above.
I have.

+
Very pretty.
Well designed dungeons. Lots of variety.
Fun skill system.
Fast, frantic, colorful combat. Lots of enemies on screen. HUGE bosses. (Multi screen!)
Fun story. Well voice acted IMO, for what it is.

-
The fricking monster ranching DDR checkpoint battles. These are so bad they scare people away from a solid DC.
They really are that bad. You can't even try them without a certain number of demons, and if they aren't high level enough, you have no chance of winning.

pariah164

I have.

+
Very pretty.
Well designed dungeons. Lots of variety.
Fun skill system.
Fast, frantic, colorful combat. Lots of enemies on screen. HUGE bosses. (Multi screen!)
Fun story. Well voice acted IMO, for what it is.

-
The fricking monster ranching DDR checkpoint battles. These are so bad they scare people away from a solid DC.
They really are that bad. You can't even try them without a certain number of demons, and if they aren't high level enough, you have no chance of winning.
I must get this game in the future. Thanks for the highlight points!

Razma1

Where's the clock tower? I'm in the castle and I finally got to the demon but now she says she'll be at the clock tower. I'm looking through the map and not seeing anything. Am I just missing something incredibly obvious?

2nd floor bottom left map bottom middle i believe

Parakeetman

I heard some mixed things abut unchained blades. Also, dont save in a room with water.

Personally I was not too happy with it, though even in Japan too folks have a love hate with the game it seems.

I still have my 3ds copy around somewhere. That shit was so hard to find.

Razma1

The memos everywhere now are pretty funny but I can see how it sucks for people who didn't start day of release or before. It was good info when I first started and now its all panties *huff huff* Prometh stuff

vocab

I'm actually enjoying the story bits and characters a lot. I am using the Japanese voices though so I can't comment on the dubs delivery of said elements. Just a bunch of quirky characters under one roof. Even the mercenaries are kinda funny.

Ya there's a lot of upfront lewdness but I've seen way worse shit in god awful anime. Its not offensive one bit and I hate non contextual fan service a lot. It never feels like its there for the sake of being there.

Raggie

This review is pretty bad, i have nothing against people not liking a game but almost all the negative point i saw could be applied to alot (if not most) of dungeon crawlers.

Gridders and dungeon crawlers review poorly. The two main problems are that the reviewer might have enjoyed the game but decides to give a low score because apparently "niche" genres shouldn't get high scores because "not everyone likes them", or because the reviewer has strong preconceptions of what an RPG is or isn't, and these games are not like the story/character focused linear interactive animes that makes the majority of JRPGs.

jurec84

Unconfirmed Member
Demon Gaze should be out today in Europe, but it's not available for download yet. Does anyone know when it will become available? I have never had any experience with day one purchases on PSN ...

Parakeetman

My copy have arrived today
IMG-20140425-WA0001.jpg

What should I do beside dying?

Make enough money for a third character, which should be a healer. For the 2nd (free character) make whatever you want that can take hits ok.
From there grind away in the dungeon lol Not much else to really tell you.

While its only a few posts up heres the info on the prices for renting new rooms.

Ok heres the room cost breakdown. When you purchase a new room for rent it comes with a character too which can be taken as is or edited to your liking.

1st Room = Free from game event
2nd Room = 1000G
3rd Room = 5000 G
4th Room = 10,000 G

Making additional characters = 500G. Limit though is 3 and these will be on standby until you swap them with one of your other characters who are currently allocated to a room. Basically breakdown is 4 in rooms, 3 on standby.
DONT DO THIS TILL AFTER YOU RENTED ALL ROOMS. Or else you will be wasting money.

fedexpeon

Banned
My copy have arrived today
IMG-20140425-WA0001.jpg

What should I do beside dying?

Make your team OP as hell by accepting the paladin as your first member.
I went with Gazer/Paladin/Samurai, didn't even have a healer until the near end of the 3rd boss because Paladin is an OP class.
And with Slash farming, getting that 5k-10k is easier and more efficient. Just hold down Triangle for auto-mode while you auto-walk in the dungeon.
Also pick up +HP item stat so you can regain your HP per step so you don't need to go back to the inn or depend on a healer.

Parakeetman

Make your team OP as hell by accepting the paladin as your first member.
I went with Gazer/Paladin/Samurai, didn't even have a healer until the near end of the 3rd boss because Paladin is an OP class.
And with Slash farming, getting that 5k-10k is easier and more efficient. Just hold down Triangle for auto-mode while you auto-walk in the dungeon.
Also pick up +HP item stat so you can regain your HP per step so you don't need to go back to the inn or depend on a healer.

You see the problem with posts like yours is that its meant for players who would be familiar with the genre. Those not as familiar most likely will wind up dying somewhere.

Telling someone Paladin is an OP class does not help them at all really. Since its all about using the skills properly.

If you really want to help folks out actually explain things or judging by how someone is looking for advice can imagine that they are not too familiar with the genre, therefore using more "advanced" techniques is not the best way of introducing them to said game.

Shengar

Well I finished SMT IV, is that enough to count me as an advanced user?
lol I guess not. Gotta started the game after read some book first.

Parakeetman

Well I finished SMT IV, is that enough to count me as an advanced user?
lol I guess not. Gotta started the game after read some book first.

Different type of game, but if you finished it you should be fine. lol The skill sets you will have to get used to making do with less since the game does not exactly have like a huge assortment of skills unlike SMT IV so should make things easier if anything.

There was a link to a gamefaqs google doc what they seem to be working on to help players also. So if you dont mind reading such things, might want to check it out to get a better idea of the various mechanics with the game.

Heres the link.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...4pKPGioPhPvQFyoxEJ78o/htmlview?usp=drive_web#

Folks are right about one thing, the game does not explain a lot of the stuff in detail. So you have to either look through the manual for some answers or just basically figure things out as you go along. Thankfully its not like this game is super difficult anyways!

Pricken

Anyone has any idea when the EU store usually updates? Saw the game at Gamestop earlier, but decided against buying it then.
Ever since I bought a Vita back in August, I've focused on buying physical games. However recently I've thought about going digital instead. Not only are digital games often cheaper, they're also always available when you want to play them (granted that you have it downloaded, of course). I feel like lately I've been more inclined to play a game if I can just start it up without a fuss.

Li Kao

Personally I was not too happy with it, though even in Japan too folks have a love hate with the game it seems.

I still have my 3ds copy around somewhere. That shit was so hard to find.

I would really be curious about your opinion on Unchained Blades. I have made my love/hate (mostly hate) relationship with the game quite public in the PSN thread recently :-X
At the time I said my distaste came from the jack of all trade aspect of the game mechanics, and that the fan service didn't help (the hot spring scenes are seriously bad). But another poster mentioned an element which I found very apt, that the game is so long as to wearing out its welcome by quite a large margin. And after some thought about it I think that's precisely what I felt.
I mean the game is not bad, it has a feeling of solid B-tier game that I enjoyed for a lot of hours, but there came a point when I just couldn't stand it anymore, without a particular reason, just like that. So yeah, I think the game was not good enough for me to support 60+ hours playtime.
And the writing surely doesn't help. I know that for many people that is not a very important aspect in many game genres. And Unchained Blades is comedic enough to say that the plot is not an important thing. But while the beginning was quite simple but charming, while some characters had (admittedly very basic) plots, I really felt that at a time during the game the writer just said fuck it all and stopped even trying. I'm at the last dungeon and I can't remember why the hell I'm meant to fight for fuck sake.

And UC is precisely why I'm still not sure about a Demon Gaze purchase. The two games seem to share some mechanics like the demon thing, and I supremely don't want to have another case of "man I'm not in the mood to continue playing this game but I don't really know why".

The fact that you liked Demon Gaze more than Unchained Blades gives me hopes.

Parakeetman

I would really be curious about your opinion on Unchained Blades. I have made my love/hate (mostly hate) relationship with the game quite public in the PSN thread recently :-X
At the time I said my distaste came from the jack of all trade aspect of the game mechanics, and that the fan service didn't help (the hot spring scenes are seriously bad). But another poster mentioned an element which I found very apt, that the game is so long as to wearing out its welcome by quite a large margin. And after some thought about it I think that's precisely what I felt.
I mean the game is not bad, it has a feeling of solid B-tier game that I enjoyed for a lot of hours, but there came a point when I just couldn't stand it anymore, without a particular reason, just like that. So yeah, I think the game was not good enough for me to support 60+ hours playtime.
And the writing surely doesn't help. I know that for many people that is not a very important aspect in many game genres. And Unchained Blades is comedic enough to say that the plot is not an important thing. But while the beginning was quite simple but charming, while some characters had (admittedly very basic) plots, I really felt that at a time during the game the writer just said fuck it all and stopped even trying. I'm at the last dungeon and I can't remember why the hell I'm meant to fight for fuck sake.

And UC is precisely why I'm still not sure about a Demon Gaze purchase. The two games seem to share some mechanics like the demon thing, and I supremely don't want to have another case of "man I'm not in the mood to continue playing this game but I don't really know why".

The short of it with my problem with the first release of UC was it seemed like it had too many mechanics just because, which became a hassle to me personally. Thats what the largest turn off was. Once I saw all the stuff they were explaining with the system initially already knew I was not going to be amused overall... I might go back to them eventually, but way too many other titles on the list to do that at the moment.

Thankfully Demon Gaze is pretty straight forward. And to put it in easy to understand terms, consider the Demon a 6th party member, who does whatever it wants when you summon it. Or it appears on its own. Also the passive bonuses from having them equipped + active skills which can be used in combat.

In Japan folks considered the 3DS versions of UC to be the better one from what it seems. Not surprising too considering there really isnt any loading times like with the PSP. For example Danball Senki was the same. The PSP ones loading times drove folks insane.

pariah164

What's the recommended level for facing
Neptune
?
She
killed off two of my guys in the process of beating
her
first form.

Parakeetman

My highest is level 14, so I'm close.

It's hard to grind in the underwater dungeon since spells do NOT work. This is some Dark Souls level shit.

hahahahaha its why i was warning folks stock up on items and dont go using them all over the place. doesnt help that some of the enemies have all party type of attack spells, which if you get unlucky can kill lower hp characters.

pariah164

hahahahaha its why i was warning folks stock up on items and dont go using them all over the place. doesnt help that some of the enemies have all party type of attack spells, which if you get unlucky can kill lower hp characters.
On the positive side, since I DO have all five party members, I can use my money for items. And rent, of course.

Parakeetman

On the positive side, since I DO have all five party members, I can use my money for items. And rent, of course.

By that time in game rent shouldnt be too bad. Its the upgrading items / buying gems is what usually makes people broke.

Unchained Blades would have been better without the unchain followers system and just been a straight up Dungeon Crawler.

Demon Gaze is so much more fun to play

Parakeetman

I'm still kind of confused when it comes to item upgrading.

What do you mean? Since its pretty straightforward no?

Turn stuff to "pixie dust" with the machine for corresponding category. Use whats been charged up to power up said piece of equipment. Its been a while since Ive played but standard stuff goes up to +10 and unique items up to +30

pariah164

What do you mean? Since its pretty straightforward no?

Turn stuff to "pixie dust" with the machine for corresponding category. Use whats been charged up to power up said piece of equipment. Its been a while since Ive played but standard stuff goes up to +10 and unique items up to +30
I'm always scared to do that, because I'm afraid of destroying a good weapon. I know there's star ranks and all, and Prometh said those were just as important...

Parakeetman

I'm always scared to do that, because I'm afraid of destroying a good weapon. I know there's star ranks and all, and Prometh said those were just as important...

Yes the star ranks you blow it up, ditch it, sell it whatever and its gone forever for that play through.

Those are unique items which you only get one per playthrough. So yeah dont go grinding it into dust or selling it by accident.

The other junk you have though, which you should be sitting on a mountain of duplicates grind it all with the machine and power up your equipped items. Does make a difference thats for sure.

Li Kao

Unchained Blades would have been better without the unchain followers system and just been a straight up Dungeon Crawler.

Demon Gaze is so much more fun to play

Yeah, there is that too. In fact Unchained Blades is shock-full of gameplay mechanics that look cool and become a pain as soon as you use them. So good to learn that Demon Gaze isn't like that. As soon as I have a spot in my play list, it will be mine.

Ok, tons of work to do today but I'm going to conquer the
boss after you capture Chronos. Leveled a bit and my Gazer got the Whistle ability, which is essential.

Victory will be mine this time!

And wow at some of you and some people at gamefaqs that are flying through this game. Life is too busy for me to marathon it like that.

bradigor

Am I being a bit thick with this?

Seem to be a bit stuck after beating Mars.

I have a quest for activating a Gate Stone and it seems there is one in the Black Cage, but it doesn't allow me to complete that quest?

Trying to go around some more and I seem to have covered everywhere possible right now, on the three unlocked areas.

goddamnit, someone please help me. what is the recommended level for beating Mars? I just made third character which is my healer, still only at level 2. Oz and my Paladin are level 5. still can't beat Mars. my attacks are too weak, Mars attack if too big for my characters, basically 2 or 3 hit and my character are dead.

should I grind money to make 4th character? or buy equipment? or just keep leveling my characters?

goddamnit, someone please help me. what is the recommended level for beating Mars? I just made third character which is my healer, still only at level 2. Oz and my Paladin are level 5. still can't beat Mars. my attacks are too weak, Mars attack if too big for my characters, basically 2 or 3 hit and my character are dead.

should I grind money to make 4th character? or buy equipment? or just keep leveling my characters?

Just do some more battles in the area. Possible go to the other graveyard to fight some slightly higher level enemies and level as well. Just don't move around to much in that area as you could get destroyed or the floor poison will get you. Once you get over this hurdle, which if you ask me is the biggest hurdle before the game really opened up for me. Then it should be a bit more smooth sailing for you then. Keep it up. Just fighting, get new equipment from the summon locations, and work towards getting new members.

vocab

Get that healers level up. Use three stones on the circles for potential gear upgrades. Got my healer like a +2 staff, +5 dart, a ring, and some pants with some good upgrades for my other two characters.

Cheksa

Neo Member
USPS was supposed to deliver my LE yesterday, which didn't happen, and when I checked the tracking page today I realized that the "expected delivery day" had been pushed to Tuesday 29. Is it common practice for USPS?

I usually order stuff from amazon and deal with either UPS or Fedex.

Haven't bought a game at release in a while. It's pretty funny seeing how slowly I'm progressing compared to others =P

Having read over some of the reviews out now, I'm glad that Jim Sterling gets the genre at least. The one at RPGFan was pretty bad, IMO. Going through some of Kyle Miller's reviews, I just really don't care for his writing style. But at least now I can be on guard against the erection inducing boss fights and egregious fan service destroying my humanity.

Get that healers level up. Use three stones on the circles for potential gear upgrades. Got my healer like a +2 staff, +5 dart, a ring, and some pants with some good upgrades for my other two characters.

So what affects the quality of the items given? Is it the number of stones used, the circle used, your level? Haven't really got a good feel for it yet.

Top Bottom