• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Raptor

Crescent Falchion isn't necessarily the best at all, but it has the convenience of just laying there to pick up. I made a crescent uchigatana with one character and i loved it. Magician class starts with the highest magic skill I think.

It is decided then, will make another character but I think I will make a Royal class, it has 13 Mag and Soul Arrow to makes things not that hard.

Will make a Crescent Uchiganata and maybe a Crescent Axe+5 or something for massive damage to Skeletons in World 4.

Can't wait lol, already put 50 hours and I will start all over :D lovely.

ArynCrinn

Banned
There are pillers in the flamelurker room aswell that you can strafe around to help you out with healing.

I know, but it's not as easy to simply rely on the pillars for safety against Flamelurker, whereas with the Maneaters you can basically just strafe around constantly and wait. If they had a decent AOE this wouldn't be the case though and it would be a lot harder. But not too hard to get one of them down to 1/4 health before the other shows on first playthrough. NG+ and beyond is harder. I've never used the arrows behind the fog but that can be done too.

The blueblood sword is terrible unless you build around it. I never bothered myself so I don't recall the details off hand. High luck or something. Never cared much for the Nothern Regalia either, but there was a thing where people would use it and gouge Vit past 50 for more health. Never saw much of a point.

With 60 STG, 40 DEX and 30 LUCK (which I think is the cap, maybe 35) the Blueblood Sword is amazing, not to mention it can be buffed. Has decent attack speed and great range, honestly it's great for a lot of NG+'s just due to the fact you can get up to such high SL and not worry about dumping into luck, and this is the payoff. Unlike Dark Souls where there's almost zero payoff for investing in resistance.

It is decided then, will make another character but I think I will make a Royal class, it has 13 Mag and Soul Arrow to makes things not that hard.

Will make a Crescent Uchiganata and maybe a Crescent Axe+5 or something for massive damage to Skeletons in World 4.

Can't wait lol, already put 50 hours and I will start all over :D lovely.

Nah, my recommendation is finish up your melee focused character and then start a magic based one. It's far more satisfying to master each type of style, imo. And by then you'll be good enough to really mix and match and build your own play style.

Mxrz

Maneater dead without much fuss. Buff/heal around the fire, slash, roll, slash. Woo. It feels like Enchant weapon & fast rolling killed the challenge. Unless the Old Monk is surprising, all that's left is False King, 1-4, and maybe 4-2.

Soulhouf

With 60 STG, 40 DEX and 30 LUCK (which I think is the cap, maybe 35) the Blueblood Sword is amazing, not to mention it can be buffed. Has decent attack speed and great range, honestly it's great for a lot of NG+'s just due to the fact you can get up to such high SL and not worry about dumping into luck, and this is the payoff. Unlike Dark Souls where there's almost zero payoff for investing in resistance.

There is no cap for the luck scaling I believe and that's what makes that weapon amazing once you put the stat into it.

Sullichin

It raises drop rates. It wasn't uncommon to hear people jacking it up while farming the pure bladestone.

I thought it just raised the % of likeliness that an enemy would drop something, not necessarily that it would drop a rarer item, and the black katana skeleton in 4-2 always has a guaranteed drop. Oh well. It took me forever to get that pure bladestone so maybe I should have invested in Luck.

Still have Allant in my SL1 run. 1-4/Allant is way harder than the rest of the game at SL1. I'm confident I can beat it with warding but I don't want to use it :(

Mxrz

I thought it just raised the % of likeliness that an enemy would drop something, not necessarily that it would drop a rarer item, and the black katana skeleton in 4-2 always has a guaranteed drop. Oh well. It took me forever to get that pure bladestone so maybe I should have invested in Luck.

I don't recall the specifics now days, but something like that. After a few hours people would try anything. I farmed one for the platinum, but after that my dex characters stuck to Hiltless.

Guevara

After having this on my shelf for over a year I finally dug in recently and in about 16 hours beat:

1-1
1-2
1-3 (the best!)

2-1
2-2
2-3

3-1 (not as intimidating as I thought it would be)
3-2 (got to the bosses but died stupidly)

4-1
4-2
4-3

I'm finishing up 3-2 soon and then on to 5, which I'm not looking forward to. What a great game, although it feels much shorter than Dark Souls (or I'm just better).

Sullichin

Guevara said:
I'm finishing up 3-2 soon and then on to 5, which I'm not looking forward to. What a great game, although it feels much shorter than Dark Souls (or I'm just better).

You're probably much better now, but it's definitely a shorter game than Dark Souls. World 5 isn't so bad.

Just kidding

Guevara

Valley of Defilement is just really unpleasant. I've died twice; once from a fall I thought I could survive, once because I couldn't roll and a giant got me. I'm not even bothering to heal poison; my regeneration ring just about keeps up with the damage. I'm ready to be done with 5-2 now.

Raptor

Doing some good progress with my Royal Char.

I beated all world 2, only left in 3 is 3-3, did all world 1 but 1-4( that is for last :D)

The nice thing here is that Im doing it all PWWT so I could make all those SQ and get all that precious loot.

Specially I want dat Rogue Set!

Guevara

Do the
red phantoms in 1-4
respawn?
Doing some good progress with my Royal Char.

I beated all world 2, only left in 3 is 3-3, did all world 1 but 1-4( that is for last :D)

Yep I'm saved it for the end and it's all I have left now.

5-2 sort of sucked but the boss fight was the easiest yet. The 5-3 "boss" was also pretty easy.

BTW Second Chance is so overpowered. I didn't realize you can recast it as needed.

ArynCrinn

Banned
There is no cap for the luck scaling I believe and that's what makes that weapon amazing once you put the stat into it.

I didn't know that, that's awesome! Highest I ever got was 30 luck on NG+++, and the sword was unbeatable. With Light Weapon and Sticky White Stuff the False King was a fun fight. Ended up finally retiring my DBS+Light Weapon.

Tmac

Errrr... just started playing and always with the feeling that i might be doing something complete wrong because i die every f****g time! Then after a while i advance an inch and repeat the process 100x more...

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
It raises drop rates. It wasn't uncommon to hear people jacking it up while farming the pure bladestone.

I remember wasting a lot on my luck stat while farming for it, took me ages but my friend got it without putting any point in his luck stats, he wasn't even trying to get it.

Darksheik

Guys, I'm thinking of doing a single run for the platinum.
I've played the game already in the past and I'm pretty used to it but there was one thing I could never figure out.

In order to have the Pure White World Tendency, given that I start a NG, is it enough to go straight ahead without dying in human form and killing the three bosses (at least, world one has the dragons too) of each world?

I mean, you start on Neutral (0), then kill one boss (+1 White), kill the second boss (+2 White) and finally kill the archdemon (+3 Pure White)? Is that correct?
So that I can "start" with Pure White and then, after doing every quest I just keep on dying in human form so that I get the events of Pure Black World Tendency.

Errrr... just started playing and always with the feeling that i might be doing something complete wrong because i die every f****g time! Then after a while i advance an inch and repeat the process 100x more...

What class are you playing? Make sure you're using your shield a lot. It deflects nearly all damage dealt by enemies, and leaves them open for a counter attack afterwards. If you're dying a lot I have to assume you're just not playing very carefully. Treat all the enemies with respect, keep your shield up, look for a safe opening to attack, you'll be fine.

I've played the game already in the past and I'm pretty used to it but there was one thing I could never figure out.

In order to have the Pure White World Tendency, given that I start a NG, is it enough to go straight ahead without dying in human form and killing the three bosses (at least, world one has the dragons too) of each world?

I mean, you start on Neutral (0), then kill one boss (+1 White), kill the second boss (+2 White) and finally kill the archdemon (+3 Pure White)? Is that correct?
So that I can "start" with Pure White and then, after doing every quest I just keep on dying in human form so that I get the events of Pure Black World Tendency.

Go to PS3trophies.com and fellow the platinum guide. To do it in 1 run you have to follow a VERY specific path through the game. It's not easy.

Mxrz

Playing online messes with World Tendency when you port to the Nexus. Usually it makes worlds more white, but if you're at Perfect White, it'll drop you down to "almost" Perfect White.

What I did, back when I needed it, was go online at the start to boost all worlds closer to white. Then restart in Offline mode, play through each world without dying. After 2-3 bosses, I'd have Perfect White. Dark works the same way. You can do Dark WT Online, but you need to do it in one session. It'll bump you every time you log in and all that.

Atlus used to give out Pure black/white weekends, those were helpful.

stn

Hey guys, few questions...

I want to get back into this game tonight. I got a SL21 melee character with the purple flame shield and some sword. I have tons of flame resistance. I have been told that 2-1 is a good chapter to do after 1-1, right? Any strategies against the boss?

I haven't played in a while so I forgot what I was trying to create/do. I think I was grinding souls to be able to wield the Winged Spear or whatever its called.

The wiki says luck doesn't increase the quality of drops, just the frequency. Some people keep it low in the belief that it won't decrease the amount of quality drops.

Someone should really test it.

Clevinger

Earlier this year I started my first Demon's Souls playthrough, my first Souls game. I'm not very good at action games, so I was pretty hesitant about the whole thing. I soldiered through the first level eventually, though with a lot of trouble, feeling pretty good about myself. Then I went to the first Shrine of Storms level and got killed in half a second by one of those skeletons.

I eventually quit, thinking this type of game just wasn't for me. But then later in the year I ended up buying Dark Souls. I don't know why, but it just clicked. It was hard as hell, but I had a ton of fun with it and beat it.

Now two weeks ago I came back to Demon's Souls and it was like night and day. It was still hard, but I got through it pretty fast and without much trouble. The only boss I died to was the Armor Spider. I even beat
False King Allant
on my first try, after hearing about how hard he was and dreading it the whole game. My only regret is I didn't beat
Old King Doran
(mainly because when I fought
Allant
, I didn't think I'd win on my first try...). Oh, and fuck crystal lizards. Fuck those little bastards and whatever bastard thought those up so hard.

Anyways, this game is awesome, this series is awesome, and I can't wait to see what From does next.

oracrest

The wiki says luck doesn't increase the quality of drops, just the frequency. Some people keep it low in the belief that it won't decrease the amount of quality drops.

Someone should really test it.

It's been tested a lot. Much of the wiki is comprised of tested information. Some players seem to get the "impression" that luck has a factor in bladestone drops, but it's impossible to know for sure, so it has gone unanswered.

That's what I gather anyways.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Is the Platinum Trophy still achievable without the online server's in this game?

stn

Is the Platinum Trophy still achievable without the online server's in this game?
Yes. Check out PS3T's forum section for the game, it has a "10-hour platinum guide" which involves tons of self-duping. I'll be doing it myself...one day. :) PM me if you have trouble finding the link.

cj_iwakura

Some rare items are gonna be a lot more frustrating to find without getting help from other players, though.

Aren't the servers still up?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Oh I thought they went down earlier this year after that huge world tendency event

That's cool if they're still up. Planned on finally diving into this at the end of the semester and I didn't want to buy Dark Souls

Yes. Check out PS3T's forum section for the game, it has a "10-hour platinum guide" which involves tons of self-duping. I'll be doing it myself...one day. :) PM me if you have trouble finding the link.

I'll definitely be looking at a guide at some point

but I'm not sure I want to follow a strict one for a quick platinum. Will probably only hurt my perception of the game though

But I'll check it out to just see what the Platinum entails. Thanks

PolishQ

Man, this game is so much easier after having beat Dark Souls. I'm doing way better than my original attempted playthrough a few years ago.

Caerith

Last year, they announced the world tendency events with their anniversary in early October. Here we are in mid-October, but I'm still going to hold on to hope for a PBWT event to save me some farming time.

Ashler

Just got my Platinum... god damn it, the freaking Pure Bladestone is a nightmare to get. I had to farm a dual katana skeleton for almost 7hrs. i Can finally put this game to rest. :)

deim0s

Last year, they announced the world tendency events with their anniversary in early October. Here we are in mid-October, but I'm still going to hold on to hope for a PBWT event to save me some farming time.

How long will the servers be still up? Lot of people still playing it? Am thinking of booting this baby up again after I get bored of my dex build in Dark Souls.

Started up this game again in the hopes of getting platinum. Got pure bladestone out of the way, and trying to get colorless demon souls, but I can't invaded to farm them. I tried with my old SL120 character in NG++, and couldn't invade once. I'm also trying to get PWCT on my new SL90, before I start NG+ for the friend ring. Thought getting invaded would be the quickest way to bump up to PW, but only managed to get invaded once the whole night.

Does no one invade at higher levels anymore? On NA servers btw. Got invaded a bunch of times with my new character at lower levels. Should I start a new low level build for the colorless souls, and just kill named BP NPC for the character tendency(that's gonna take a while :/)?

And I thought pure bladestone was going to be my biggest problem while going for platinum...

Edit: Nvm. XD

Completely forgot about, Sparkly Crow for trading. All that's left to do is make some/find some weapons! :)

Finally platinum! Was fun going through this game again after not playing for a while. Maybe it was because I was mainly using magic, but I found the game easier on NG+ than Dark Souls NG+. Maybe that will change when I start NG+ with my strength bulid.

For the next game I hope they bring back the Nexus system where we can warp form the get go. The fact that every area in Dark Souls is interconnected is cool and all, but on subsequent playthroughs it can get tedious. Plus the Nexus is just way cooler.

leroidys

Finally platinum! Was fun going through this game again after not playing for a while. Maybe it was because I was mainly using magic, but I found the game easier on NG+ than Dark Souls NG+. Maybe that will change when I start NG+ with my strength bulid.

For the next game I hope they bring back the Nexus system where we can warp form the get go. The fact that every area in Dark Souls is interconnected is cool and all, but on subsequent playthroughs it can get tedious. Plus the Nexus is just way cooler.

I thought that NG+ was really hard. My first playthrough didn't give me that much trouble, but on NG+ basically any mob would one shot me. The real demon's souls started there.

I guess it's because I'm not afraid of the game anymore like I was when it released. I kind of want to say Demon's Souls is easier overall then Dark souls, but stuff like the Maneaters and those metal skeletons...

Now that I think about it, magic is just too good in this game. You basically have unlimited MP if you have enough fresh/old spice. And if you setup your character right, you can one shot most bosses with firestorm. NG+ easy mode. Not really feeling the difficulty jump in NG+++, like I did with NG to NG+.

That's why I'm gonna try new builds. Maybe a DEX or faith build after I finish my STR one in NG+.

Also, aside from the Maiden in Black(<3), I really missed the atmosphere in this game. It really feels so much darker, then Dark Souls. I don't think there's an area in Dark Souls that can compete with the Tower of Latria, in terms of atmosphere and down right creepiness.

leroidys

I guess it's because I'm not afraid of the game anymore like I was when it released. I kind of want to say Demon's Souls is easier overall then Dark souls, but stuff like the Maneaters and those metal skeletons...

Now that I think about it, magic is just too good in this game. You basically have unlimited MP if you have enough fresh/old spice. And if you setup your character right, you can one shot most bosses with firestorm. NG+ easy mode. Not really feeling the difficulty jump in NG+++, like I did with NG to NG+.

That's why I'm gonna try new builds. Maybe a DEX or faith build after I finish my STR one in NG+.

Also, aside from the Maiden in Black(<3), I really missed the atmosphere in this game. It really feels so much darker, then Dark Souls. I don't think there's an area in Dark Souls that can compete with the Tower of Latria, in terms of atmosphere and down right creepiness.

Well to be fair, I don't think there's an area in ANY game that can match Tower or Latria for dark, oppressive atmosphere.

I like how both games have a distinct look, even though both can be classified as dark medieval fantasy. Demons is definitely more gothic, lending to its oppressive and bleak atmosphere.

dosh

I just started a new playthrough after almost a year and a half away from the game (and 400+ hours on Dark Souls), and HOLY SHIT the tinting in Tower of Latria still frightens me like the first time. I rediscover how much Demon's Souls is creepy and grim in comparison to Dark Souls.
I really love Dark Souls' atmosphere, levels such as Sen or Ariamis stand among my favorite in any game, but Demon's feels so much desperate. How did I forget?

Also, the skeletons in 4-1 hurt a lot (but dat Crescent Falchion...).

edit: H_Prestige actually sums it up pretty well.

oracrest

I like how both games have a distinct look, even though both can be classified as dark medieval fantasy. Demons is definitely more gothic, lending to its oppressive and bleak atmosphere.

I love the progression of the worlds in Demon's.

1. Castle!
2. Slave mines
3. Torture Prison
4. Island of the DEAD
5. Death, plague, pestilence, swamp of maggots and refuse. You WILL get AIDS here.

Top Bottom