• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Soulhouf

I just beat Old King Doran by using parry/repost.
He is really easy to parry and all his attacks are telegraphed (even easier than Gwyn). He has an attack that kills in one hit, so just avoid that and parry when you can.

I think this is the best way to beat him. Tanking behind a shield and attacking normally takes a way longer.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
are people still playing this online? just started yesterday ( loving it ) yet i never see any signs placed.

The games pretty dead since it's going on two years old. But like Alrightstart said: You need to be in body form to see summon signs/be invaded along with being a low level (or at least "average" level for whatever the level is now a days to co-op/invade).

ArynCrinn

Banned
I only very rarely see summon signs anymore, on US servers, they used to be at the start of almost every area and in front of boss doors...

But I did summon a guy for 2-1 the other day, at relatively low level. I'm thinking there's probably no real action anymore for higher SL's, aside from rare invasions and Old Monk.

Last night, I had just gotten to the point where I knocked down the Tower Knight and my internet went down. This automatically restarted the game and I was very sad.

ijed

I only very rarely see summon signs anymore, on US servers, they used to be at the start of almost every area and in front of boss doors...

But I did summon a guy for 2-1 the other day, at relatively low level. I'm thinking there's probably no real action anymore for higher SL's, aside from rare invasions and Old Monk.

Had a play on Sunday on US version - Beat Old Hero, Maneaters, Penetrator and Allant first try - though did find someone to summon on 1-4 who was very helpful and even helped take down the dragon - lovely chap

Last night, I had just gotten to the point where I knocked down the Tower Knight and my internet went down. This automatically restarted the game and I was very sad.
Should just put you at the boss door iirc...

Should just put you at the boss door iirc...

No you're right, it was just so deflating that I walked away for a little bit. But it's definitely gotten to the point where I'm powerful enough to feel comfortable in any given moment in the game. Bosses especially don't feel like as big a deal anymore. Honestly, black phantoms scare the piss out of me more than anything else.

Be nimble and dodge any of the sword attacks. Bait him by moving in and out of close range so that he does the big shield smash attack. Once he does that it's much easier to move around the shield and attack the legs with arrows or magic. Once you do that enough times something will happen and you'll know what to do.

Raptor

Magic is out of the question but I do have a bow and arrows, I guess I will have to buy some more though, maybe 50 will be ok.

Thanks.

Any advice on dealing with the Reapers in 4-2, specifically the third one? My present plan is to just kill the first Shadowlurker, run up like a madman to draw out the Reaper, and then run back to the entranceway and snipe with arrows. Last time it didn't work since the Shadowlurker respawned, therefore turning into a shield for the Reaper. Reaper shot through him and killed my ass. Also, that beam attack from the Shadowlurkers is obnoxious since I haven't found any rhyme or reason as to why I can and can't dodge it sometimes.

I have a plan to deal with these guys, but I have a hunch I'm making it harder on myself.

Raptor

Alright I got the 4-1 Sword called Crescent Falchion+1 and its an amazing weapon, really powerfull for this low level enemies, Im destroying everything in a single hit.

Don't have arrows now for the Tower Knight so I guess Im going ol school and melee his ankles and hope for the best.

I totally destroyed that Red Eyed Knight in 1-1 :D I went there again to get some souls and Herbs and everything was easy and fun, or Im getting better or the weapon I have is too good!"

Probably the later :p

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Alright I got the 4-1 Sword called Crescent Falchion+1 and its an amazing weapon, really powerfull for this low level enemies, Im destroying everything in a single hit.

Don't have arrows now for the Tower Knight so I guess Im going ol school and melee his ankles and hope for the best.

I totally destroyed that Red Eyed Knight in 1-1 :D I went there again to get some souls and Herbs and everything was easy and fun, or Im getting better or the weapon I have is too good!"

Probably the later :p
World 4 is amazing for soul farming. Try to stick around for a bit and get some Darkmoonstones to improve the Crescent Falchion even more.

oracrest

Im at the Tower Knight, I can manage the archers, is there any strategy?

:)

The big turning point for me on this guy was to get close to him. He will stop doing his quick stab attack which usually killed me in a single hit. His close range melee is much more manageable.

Raptor

Thanks for the tips, those skeletons with the club are easy enough that I feel confident to wander around that place, will keep farming there.

Sullichin

Started a SL1 run today and I've been playing all day. It's not too tough so far - I can usually make a couple of mistakes before death and healing grass is plentiful.

Phalanx, Adjucator, Fool's Idol, Armor Spider, and Flamelurker down so far. I beat Flamelurker melee only (crescent falchion +3). That was a really fun fight. I'm kind of keeping a death log. So far I've died a few times to the skeletons in 4-1, once to adjucator, once to the dogs in 2-1, once to the first reaper in 4-2, once when I haphazardly ran into two mindflayers, once on the baby nail black phantom, a couple of times to fool's idol (kind of embarrassing), 3 times taking the shortcut in 2-2, and once to flamelurker. So I'm dying a lot, but not even necessarily from the limitations of SL1. Just making stupid mistakes. I love how both Souls games seem made with low level runs in mind. Magic is so strong in this game that even unupgraded a Soul Spear (SoulLight in the chinese copy I'm playing) is still really useful. I'm mostly melee though. Took down Armored Spider with soul spears because i hate fighting that boss melee. Guess I will do 2-2 proper now and get the dragon longsword. Now onto the tougher parts of the game...

EDIT: Ok now I'm getting my ass kicked by Maneater. That's more like it.

EDIT 2: beat Maneater. finally. Via Dragon Long Sword +4.

neoemonk

What's the hardest melee class to play as in Demon's Souls? I abused magic on my first run. I want to see if i can do a melee only run.

Raptor

Finally beated the Tower Knight with the arrows strategy didnt got hit once :)

Killed Vanguard in 4-1 but got killed by the Golden Skelleton.

Will do 2-1 before I finally try to beat 4-1.

Where can I upgrade the Crescent Falchion?

Sullichin

Finally beated the Tower Knight with the arrows strategy didnt got hit once :)

Killed Vanguard in 4-1 but got killed by the Golden Skelleton.

Will do 2-1 before I finally try to beat 4-1.

Where can I upgrade the Crescent Falchion?

There is a blacksmith in 2-1 you can access once you open a shortcut in that level. He can upgrade the crescent falchion, but you will need darkmoon stone to upgrade it. Once you have access to 4-2 you should be able to get enough darkmoon shards/chunks to upgrade it a couple of times.

ijed

Any advice on dealing with the Reapers in 4-2, specifically the third one? My present plan is to just kill the first Shadowlurker, run up like a madman to draw out the Reaper, and then run back to the entranceway and snipe with arrows. Last time it didn't work since the Shadowlurker respawned, therefore turning into a shield for the Reaper. Reaper shot through him and killed my ass. Also, that beam attack from the Shadowlurkers is obnoxious since I haven't found any rhyme or reason as to why I can and can't dodge it sometimes.

I have a plan to deal with these guys, but I have a hunch I'm making it harder on myself.

Warding helps - or failing that go down to where the shadowlurker spawns then run back to where the 2nd reaper was ... you should be able to figure out what to do from there :D

Raptor

There is a blacksmith in 2-1 you can access once you open a shortcut in that level. He can upgrade the crescent falchion, but you will need darkmoon stone to upgrade it. Once you have access to 4-2 you should be able to get enough darkmoon shards/chunks to upgrade it a couple of times.

Thanks, I guess I will do it later on.

zkylon

zkylewd
Thanks, I guess I will do it later on.
You need to give him the soul of the 2-2 Demon for him to upgrade your stuff, though. Keep all the Demon's Souls you find as you can use them to upgrade weapons and learn new (some very important) spells and miracles.

Sullichin

You need to give him the soul of the 2-2 Demon for him to upgrade your stuff, though. Keep all the Demon's Souls you find as you can use them to upgrade weapons and learn new (some very important) spells and miracles.

You only need to give him the red hot demon's soul for weapons that require boss souls to upgrade. He can do all other upgrades without it.

Warding helps - or failing that go down to where the shadowlurker spawns then run back to where the 2nd reaper was ... you should be able to figure out what to do from there :D

Thanks, but I ended up just grinding it out the other day. For the 2nd reaper, I just ran like a mad man and killed the first two guys. Ran straight past the 2nd reaper and hung out near the exit for a bit, then ran up, sat in a cubby hole, and shot the reaper without having to worry about getting swarmed by everyone else. Fire arrows help A LOT. Also, that sniper position you mentioned for the 3rd one, good stuff :)

Inadvertently farmed a bunch of souls while trying to figure out how to beat the boss for 4-2. Turns out Thief Ring for him is easy mode.

Raptor

2-1 and 4-1 bosses are gone.

Ive been putting all the leveling in END and VIT but I got a question, I have some badass shields and some weapons like the Great Club but I lack STR, should I put some levels there? or therei s some item that could get used to use this kind of gear and weapon?

Dyno

Soul of the - WHAT!
Soul of the - WHAT!
Soul of the - WHAT!
Soul of the mind, y'all!

My friend is starting his first game tonight! Myself and two other friends are also going to start a new game and keep in contact with him in hopes of getting summoned / invaded with as much frequency as possible. I want us to have a game with as much other-world contact as possible so fire it up and we will see what can be done.

PSN : Dynovac

Dyno

2-1 and 4-1 bosses are gone.

Ive been putting all the leveling in END and VIT but I got a question, I have some badass shields and some weapons like the Great Club but I lack STR, should I put some levels there? or therei s some item that could get used to use this kind of gear and weapon?

No, you need the stats listed to wield the weapon with one hand. If you're willing to two-hand the weapon the required Strength goes down.

Manus

So I'm on 3-2 right now and loving this area. The gargoyles aren't to bad, but I'm having a pain falling to my death to many times lol. Does anyone know if I can sprint past the gargoyles?

EasyMode

You can definitely run past the gargoyles with the Thief's Ring, especially since they're kinda slow to react you you. They might follow you a bit, but they'll give up.

3-2 Is amazing, savor the ambiance.

Sullichin

You don't even need the thief's ring. They might catch up to you in a spot that is more precarious than when you ran past them, though. Gargoyles aren't the best example of this but I've found that enemies are far easier to sprint past in Dark Souls than they are in Demons. 3-2 is awesome, it's not a particularly difficult level but it and 3-1 are just really special.

SL1 update - dragon god and old monk (npc) killed. Crescent falchion taken to +4. I use that or 2H a dragon long sword +4 depending on the situation. Died a bunch of times in 4-2 and 1-3 - these later levels are pretty tough as SL1, but I keep dying because of stupid mistakes. The only boss left that I'm worried about is Allant though. And maybe penetrator.

Dyno

So I'm on 3-2 right now and loving this area. The gargoyles aren't to bad, but I'm having a pain falling to my death to many times lol. Does anyone know if I can sprint past the gargoyles?

You can sprint through MOST of them and the Thief's Ring helps but there are a couple gargoyles that are stationed above archways and they cannot be easily evaded. They will jump right down in front of you. You need to dispatch those ones quickly and move on. If you do it right the rest won't catch up to you or follow you through different sections.

Manus

Sweet so glad I can sprint past the gargoyles. So I got to Maneater and can take him down pretty easily with my flame toss, but once the second one spawns it gets super tough. I'm mainly just been backing up and tossing flame balls while running along the long platform. Any other tips I should know of? I'm SL39. Is this to low, or just fine?

zkylon

zkylewd
Sweet so glad I can sprint past the gargoyles. So I got to Maneater and can take him down pretty easily with my flame toss, but once the second one spawns it gets super tough. I'm mainly just been backing up and tossing flame balls while running along the long platform. Any other tips I should know of?
Some people find them easier to deal with if you run to the other end of the platform until you reach the circle shaped part and then putting yourself between the cauldron and Maneater. They can get stuck for a bit, giving you time to eat some grass and recover stamina.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Fighting Old King Doran today, reminded me I was playing a JRPG. Holy fuck.

Manus

Okay so I just defeated the Maneaters thanks to the awesome Warding spell. I ended up getting the Gloom armor set. Is this any good for a magic user? I'm mainly magic, but I do use some melee sometimes too. I'm looking to get some new armor, I'm still using the leather armor that my Wanderer started with.

Dyno

Okay so I just defeated the Maneaters thanks to the awesome Warding spell. I ended up getting the Gloom armor set. Is this any good for a magic user? I'm mainly magic, but I do use some melee sometimes too. I'm looking to get some new armor, I'm still using the leather armor that my Wanderer started with.

It's a solid suit with good defence and high poison & plague resistance. It's heavier though, you might notice a slow-down in how fast you move and roll.

ijed

Black Leather Set you would have picked up in Latria is better than the regular leather set you started with - mix that with a bit of gloom for prob the best set for a female

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished it. Brilliant game, definitely up there with my favs like Deus Ex HR or Mass Effect 2. I definitely getting Dark Souls when the new edition comes up.

Raptor

Level 40 at the moment, killed Dragon God and beated 3-1, made the Meat Clever.

Couldn't free the dude in a cell, the blue dude, I released Freke though, don't know how to free the other one.

Toer of Latria could maybe one fo the best levels I have ever played, is so atmospheric god damn.

Also since I dont have the STR to weild the Meat Clever I need another Club to go to 4-2, cant remember where I got the other one

Bradach

I'm coming back into demons souls after a good 12 months away I think. Is there anyway to see if I've cleared out a particular area of the boss? I finished at 4.2 but I've just killed the dragon god on 2.2. (I think) and I thought I'd cleared all those areas. I'd like to find any other bosses I skipped without having to replay the lvls. Any ideas?

Top Bottom