• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read a few recent posts similar to my situation about social issues late in life above.

Meeting new people is harder outside of school for everyone. There are certain jobs were you work alone or get bitched at for talking too much. Or it's too busy to talk.

In grade school social skills were just easy to learn if you took advantage of it. Shy/selective mutism/anxiety people did not unfortunately. For their whole life.

So, at the age of 20, 25, 31, there's a large social skill gap. Others had all those years of practice. 20+ years is a LONG time to practice something.

Fixing it, in my opinion, is very hard. I'm not forced to go to a room full of my peers daily. I have to apply for a decent job and hope to get it. I have to get the courage to improve the skills.

As far as going to a community college or back to college if you don't have a degree, the atmosphere is different. There's a lot less socializing compared to grade school.

It's essentially a handicap to overcome in this world made for a social adult at our age.

Fucking bad day so far. Please oh please get better!

Just wanted to thank you for what you're doing in this thread, you're a real kind human being, the world needs more people like you. Maybe one day I'll post my story in here, thanks to you and the other guys/gals posting in here, I feel confident that I'd find some comfort.

Hope I lifted your spirits a little ;)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Bad day so far. On my spare right now so I'm sitting alone in the library. I feel like I'm going to break down.

Tell me more about what's been going on before you do - type it all out for me.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Saw my therapist today. Told him the meds don't help much. He will put me on a higher dosage. Explained that we have to try everything before going on to ECT. Not sure if even ECT could help. I have no ambition or goals in life. Guys I like don't like me. Unattractive and horrible at speaking with others. People die everyday, my death won't matter in the grand scale of everything. Life doesn't get better it is not worth living.

cullenx

Banned
First of all, suicide is not a problem-solver. You will not exist anymore.

Second, anti-depressants and counseling do give you the crutches you need to heal, but the strength to get out of your pit comes from within you. You know it's there, you just need a helping hand. You will overcome it, it'll take a while but life will gradually get better. Seek help, talk to the Samaritans.

30iknmh.jpg.jpg

I totally agree with this post. You have to pull yourself out of this pit. I've done it before in high school and it was hard as hell. There were days where I'd walk around in a complete daze. Talk to people who you know love you. Don't let anything bottle up inside you.

cullenx

Banned
Here are some things that I do to help my mind.

Your brain is an organ just like your heart, liver and kidneys. It's just a hell of a lot more complex. But what do doctors tell you to do in order to help those organs?

Try some form of exercise. Play basketball, run, do yoga. Whatever is most comfortable to you. Blast heavy metal into your headphones while you run. Get lost in your workout and you'll forget your sadness for those moments. Afterward, you'll feel the benefits of endorphins and feel good about yourself. Plus, more blood will circulate your brain and help it function better.

Eat more naturally and healthily. People don't seem to understand that your mind benefits from eating well just as much as your waistline. Eat a huge, disgusting burger and you feel like shit afterward. If you continually eat horribly and consume a ton of caffeine, it will make you more anxious and awful. You can have a splurge day. Reward yourself. Try to eat naturally if you can afford to. Who knows what these chemicals in foods are doing to our brains and bodies?

Practice mindfulness or meditation. Live in the moment, the past is gone and done. Why worry about it? Don't obsess over the future, either. If you concentrate on the present, it will benefit your future.

I know I sound like a self-help douche. But I've been struggling with anxiety, depression and panic disorder since I was NINE YEARS OLD. I, in some degree, know what I'm talking about. You have to fight this shit but you can do it.

Collete

Lately I have been feeling I've been going insane in the sense, maybe I don't have depression.
Maybe the problem is really me and I just have a behavioral problem, I don't know.
My friends think I'm depressed and I have mostly all the symptoms of depression, but what if I really am not?
Not that I wish to be depressed but if it's a behavioral problem and I'm naturally a crappy person;... I don't know what I'm getting at with this.
Anybody else feel this or is it just me?

Windam

Scaley member
Tell me more about what's been going on before you do - type it all out for me.

This is late, but I didn't break down. After posting that I logged off and jumped straight to YouTube and started looking at AC3 videos I've never seen before to get my mind off of how I was feeling.

I just woke up in a bad mood; I had really no energy all day; I was tired all day and couldn't concentrate (well, these three things are a daily thing); I had bombed my last math test (got a 34%?); completely blanked out for the second day in a row in philosophy class; and had random bursts of mind-crippling and oh-my-god-i-want-to-tear-out-my-stomach anxiety.

Lately I have been feeling I've been going insane in the sense, maybe I don't have depression.
Maybe the problem is really me and I just have a behavioral problem, I don't know.
My friends think I'm depressed and I have mostly all the symptoms of depression, but what if I really am not?
Not that I wish to be depressed but if it's a behavioral problem and I'm naturally a crappy person;... I don't know what I'm getting at with this.
Anybody else feel this or is it just me?

Yeah, this was my feeling last week, too. I've just been feeling super numb lately. I've been diagnosed with "severe depression" by a psychiatrist, but last week I just thought "maybe I'm going insane?".

Anyway, saw my GP today and he upped my dose from 5mg-10mg a day (Cipralex).

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Just wanted to thank you for what you're doing in this thread, you're a real kind human being, the world needs more people like you. Maybe one day I'll post my story in here, thanks to you and the other guys/gals posting in here, I feel confident that I'd find some comfort.

Hope I lifted your spirits a little ;)

It did! I really appreciate the kind words.

I meet with my shrink after my 12 hour shift in the hospital is over. That's great, but it means I have to stay up longer before I can rest up for another night shift.

I'm going to crash this weekend. :/

Collete

Yeah, this was my feeling last week, too. I've just been feeling super numb lately. I've been diagnosed with "severe depression" by a psychiatrist, but last week I just thought "maybe I'm going insane?".

Anyway, saw my GP today and he upped my dose from 5mg-10mg a day (Cipralex).

Yeah...
I just hate this feeling that if I really am insane, will everyone abandon me?
*sigh*
I don't know how to think otherwise about this...

On another note, I do hope you're feeling better.

Windam

Scaley member
Yeah...
I just hate this feeling that if I really am insane, will everyone abandon me?
*sigh*
I don't know how to think otherwise about this...

On another note, I do hope you're feeling better.

I've come to expect people to abandon me no matter what. My family already has due to their strong view that "you can totally feel better by just smiling and thinking that everything is fine", have no real real-life friends to talk to or do anything with and feel 100% comfortable around... yeah. I guess some days I prefer to be alone, but in the end, it only makes me feel worse. I feel so tired of fighting and "being strong". I just hate myself.

You've been a great help to me, and if there's anything you ever want to talk about, feel free to PM me.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Not a single one of you guys (and gals) is a crappy person. Don't ever, for a single second, think you are. Many of the problems you're mentioning about family are due to misinformation, and disregarding depression as a real illness. It's not the same as being insane, in the slightest.

And most important of all, don't give up. I don't know if life will get better, I really don't, but what I'm sure of is that it CAN. Even though it may be for a moment, there are lots of beautiful things in life, things that can make us happy and able to enjoy it. I hope we can all find them.

Collete

Saw my therapist today. Told him the meds don't help much. He will put me on a higher dosage. Explained that we have to try everything before going on to ECT. Not sure if even ECT could help. I have no ambition or goals in life. Guys I like don't like me. Unattractive and horrible at speaking with others. People die everyday, my death won't matter in the grand scale of everything. Life doesn't get better it is not worth living.

I'm not sure how much help I can be, but please try not to give up and don't assume things won't help.
It might help, you may never know.
I don't know your situation exactly but I don't think it's OK in any situation to give up and think something won't work out.
Finicky thing about love is at times, you don't choose the people you like, people choose you so to speak.
If you died it would matter, I'm sure people on this thread and on other parts of GAF would care if you are no longer around.

Not a single one of you guys (and gals) is a crappy person. Don't ever, for a single second, think you are. Many of the problems you're mentioning about family are due to misinformation, and disregarding depression as a real illness. It's not the same as being insane, in the slightest.

And most important of all, don't give up. I don't know if life will get better, I really don't, but what I'm sure of is that it CAN. Even though it may be for a moment, there are lots of beautiful things in life, things that can make us happy and able to enjoy it. I hope we can all find them.

Thanks for the kind words I appreciate it as well.
I want to believe some day I'm not a crappy person my self-conscious believes I am.
Too much crud happened that I can't see myself as the person I really am.

I've come to expect people to abandon me no matter what. My family already has due to their strong view that "you can totally feel better by just smiling and thinking that everything is fine", have no real real-life friends to talk to or do anything with and feel 100% comfortable around... yeah. I guess some days I prefer to be alone, but in the end, it only makes me feel worse. I feel so tired of fighting and "being strong". I just hate myself.

You've been a great help to me, and if there's anything you ever want to talk about, feel free to PM me.

I rather not have the people around me abandon me because I do care and they're actually decent human beings.
Granted my parents don't believe I'm depressed but doesn't mean they abandoned me.
They're still there otherwise if I need them, I just can't tell them of my issues much.
I prefer some days to be alone as well, but times I wish I was just utterly alone in the fact I have no friends (online or not) or anyone around.
I ration at times that's my depression talking and not really who I am.
I guess my point is to you, your parents are still there, they just can't display their emotions right.

You're too kind, I feel I didn't help anyone.
I rather not bother people, but if I do PM you, I'm sorry.

Edit: Wow I feel I just jumped the gun by telling people how I felt about this stuff.
I don't know if I'll regret this or not but I guess it's a first step.

coldvein

Banned
Hardly a miracle drug if it can't be used for the long term.

i was on benzos pretty long term.. 2+ years? always worked very well for me. never felt like i needed to increase my dose or anything. then one day they were like "this shit is bad, we dont want to prescribe it to anyone anymore, time to switch it up!" fuck thaaaaaat.

Windam

Scaley member
I rather not have the people around me abandon me because I do care and they're actually decent human beings.
Granted my parents don't believe I'm depressed but doesn't mean they abandoned me.
They're still there otherwise if I need them, I just can't tell them of my issues much.
I prefer some days to be alone as well, but times I wish I was just utterly alone in the fact I have no friends (online or not) or anyone around.
I ration at times that's my depression talking and not really who I am.
I guess my point is to you, your parents are still there, they just can't display their emotions right.

You're too kind, I feel I didn't help anyone.
I rather not bother people, but if I do PM you, I'm sorry.

My parents aren't there. I can't tell them anything. Their response, regardless of whether it's them not knowing how to react, drives me to believe they aren't taking me seriously.

You won't be bothering me. Trust me, I feel the same way, but I tend to bottle things to the point where I explode in grief, anger and self-hatred. So talking to anyone I figure may help stop it get to that point, or ease the explosion.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
thats quite presumptuous
I dont consider myself a good person for many reasons that im sure you would agree with
Everyone has good things and bad things. That doesn't mean you're a bad person overall. I don't know your particular case, but I don't believe you're a crappy person. But yeah, I'm no one to be making assumptions, sorry about that, or if I made you feel bad or anything :/

I'm not sure how much help I can be, but please try not to give up and don't assume things won't help.
It might help, you may never know.
I don't know your situation exactly but I don't think it's OK in any situation to give up and think something won't work out.
Finicky thing about love is at times, you don't choose the people you like, people choose you so to speak.
If you died it would matter, I'm sure people on this thread and on other parts of GAF would care if you are no longer around.
These are truly wise words. Every death makes an impact on people, either close ones or distant. Life shouldn't be ended early, you never know what will happen tomorrow. For all you know, your life could improve drastically in any way. I'd rather take that chance.

Thanks for the kind words I appreciate it as well.
I want to believe some day I'm not a crappy person my self-conscious believes I am.
Too much crud happened that I can't see myself as the person I really am.
That's really hard to do, and I must admit I have trouble with that as well. But deep down inside I know I'm not the failure my mind is telling me I am. Now I only need to start believing it as well.

Uchip

Banned
Everyone has good things and bad things. That doesn't mean you're a bad person overall. I don't know your particular case, but I don't believe you're a crappy person. But yeah, I'm no one to be making assumptions, sorry about that, or if I made you feel bad or anything :/

It doesnt make me feel bad
Its just that being depressed for a long time makes you into a bad person, and people telling you otherwise based on a guess is questionable
its part of the downward spiral, as in, you feel shit so you act shit, so people treat you like shit, so you act even more shit etc

cousins

Does it get better? I keep making improvements and getting nowhere. Maybe I need to stop comparing myself to others. Last I checked my girlfriend still left me, my job still sucks, and most of my family still doesn't talk to me, though.

Fuck it. I'm not generally suicidal, but I'm finding myself rationalizing it lately. Not in a breakdown crying sort of way, though. Just in a "if it's only about to go down from here then why bother?" sort of way.

Prax

Edit: Wow I feel I just jumped the gun by telling people how I felt about this stuff.
I don't know if I'll regret this or not but I guess it's a first step.
Expressing your feelings instead of bottling it up and having that fester is a good step!
I have said all sorts of things in this thread as well that I didn't think I'd have the guts to say.
We can all be embarrassed together and not die from it and learn that it's okay and not to bad after all. XD

My parents aren't there. I can't tell them anything. Their response, regardless of whether it's them not knowing how to react, drives me to believe they aren't taking me seriously.

You won't be bothering me. Trust me, I feel the same way, but I tend to bottle things to the point where I explode in grief, anger and self-hatred. So talking to anyone I figure may help stop it get to that point, or ease the explosion.
I think most loved ones probably just don't know how to deal with it. It's hard to understand if they have never experienced it themselves. Or if they have, it could also be that they are denying it (everyone's got issues to deal with.. who knows!). But even if they can't be there to support you for your depression, take what support and encouragement they can give you in good faith. And then seek out others who do understand, like counsellors and psychologists.

It doesnt make me feel bad
Its just that being depressed for a long time makes you into a bad person, and people telling you otherwise based on a guess is questionable
its part of the downward spiral, as in, you feel shit so you act shit, so people treat you like shit, so you act even more shit etc
Like I said, you gotta stop questioning people when they compliment you or say good things. XD Try to just accept it. I think depression magnifies acceptance of all the negative things, so even if not all positive things are "true", you still should accept it just to balance out all the untrue negative things you're absorbing.

Besides, how can a person that likes cats be totally bad? >_>

Everyone in here is so kind to one another. It's so perplexing knowing that you can't just turn that kindness and compassion onto yourselves too. The hope you have for others, make sure you share some of that for yourself too.

Uchip

Banned
Like I said, you gotta stop questioning people when they compliment you or say good things. XD Try to just accept it. I think depression magnifies acceptance of all the negative things, so even if not all positive things are "true", you still should accept it just to balance out all the untrue negative things you're absorbing.

Besides, how can a person that likes cats be totally bad? >_>

Everyone in here is so kind to one another. It's so perplexing knowing that you can't just turn that kindness and compassion onto yourselves too. The hope you have for others, make sure you share some of that for yourself too.

I analyze everything a lot and I cant help it
telling a stranger theyre ok when theyre really not strikes me as empty
I cant accept compliments for something I didn't do, its fraudulent

Prax

I like overanalyzing too, but there is a point where you gotta stop if you wanna enjoy. XD
And learning to accept people's words on good faith will help.

When someone says "You're not a terrible person", your first thought being "You are a liar. You don't know me." seems like it would make you give yourself the reverse judgment as a default ("I AM a terrible person"), because I suspect that's just how the brain works. You would actively need to fight that thought to balance it out, which I think would require more mental effort or post-processing to sort out. I am lazy, so I don't want to take that route anymore. Fighting with myself is exhausting.
Instead, you can nip this back-and-forth dissonance in the bud by trying to react instead with thoughts of "Thanks! How nice of them. I guess I'm not coming off as a terrible person." More reasonable. More moderate. Less post-processing to do.
I admit this stuff takes a while to sink in and do properly without feeling like a fraud, but I have been practising and I think it's slowly working!

And you know... what's so fraudulent anyway? Who are you scamming by accepting that you aren't a terrible person despite everything? Don't let a negative confirmation bias make you scam yourself out of genuine goodness that's free for all for take a piece of.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!

I've certainly talked to you enough to know that you're a good guy in a very bad situation. That may not mean much, and it's not going to change your opinion of yourself, but I like to think I'm not a total idiot. There's no need to beat yourself up more over things; I know you've already done it enough.

Now someone needs to have a baby here (in the hospital, not this thread) so I can cheer up.

Uchip

Banned
I like overanalyzing too, but there is a point where you gotta stop if you wanna enjoy. XD
And learning to accept people's words on good faith will help.

When someone says "You're not a terrible person", your first thought being "You are a liar. You don't know me." seems like it would make you give yourself the reverse judgment as a default ("I AM a terrible person"), because I suspect that's just how the brain works. You would actively need to fight that thought to balance it out, which I think would require more mental effort or post-processing to sort out. I am lazy, so I don't want to take that route anymore. Fighting with myself is exhausting.
Instead, you can nip this back-and-forth dissonance in the bud by trying to react instead with thoughts of "Thanks! How nice of them. I guess I'm not coming off as a terrible person." More reasonable. More moderate. Less post-processing to do.
I admit this stuff takes a while to sink in and do properly without feeling like a fraud, but I have been practising and I think it's slowly working!

And you know... what's so fraudulent anyway? Who are you scamming by accepting that you aren't a terrible person despite everything? Don't let a negative confirmation bias make you scam yourself out of genuine goodness that's free for all for take a piece of.

but im really not a good person, even by my own repressed standards
youll just have to take my word for it :S

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!

You lying son of a bitch!

:)

This is going to be a long and potentially trying day. Send some positive vibes my way Depression-GAF!

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Anyone else ever feel like their head is literally spiraling? It's not like I'm thinking of anything in particular, but my head is going a million miles a minute and it drives me insane. It's like a fucking itch I cannot scratch. I twist and knot my hair when it happens.

Prax

I believe you for your words, that you think you're not good or good enough, but at the very least, you are not acting or sounding like a horrible person right now! You just sound down and extra hard on yourself.

Treat yourself as you would hope to treat others: respectfully and with good sportsmanship. Life is already weird and hard. No need to beat yourself up or handicap yourself more when you're already down.

Windam

Scaley member
Anyone else ever feel like their head is literally spiraling? It's not like I'm thinking of anything in particular, but my head is going a million miles a minute and it drives me insane. It's like a fucking itch I cannot scratch. I twist and knot my hair when it happens.

Whenever I wake up, this is me. Also whenever I try to concentrate. Happens randomly sometimes, too. Fucking annoying on so many levels.

I'd rather not be at school right now. Most of the school is away since it's Eid, so we've done nothing in any of my classes. It's given me too much time to think, and I don't like what I think about.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Sort of - I suffer from hypervigilance, which is really bad when you can't calm your mind down at all. I'll just lie there and my thoughts will just RACE. Sometimes I grab my head. It happens. I try to deal with it the best I can and ignore things - but mix hypervigilance with exploding head syndrome (yes, it's real and nowhere near as cool as it sounds) and sleep is not something I come by easily some nights.

Pakkidis

Does anybody think a lot of the problems in our life is related to over thinking things through? We think TOO MUCH about something. You know ignorance is bliss kinda holds true.

My thoughts race all the time :(. I wish I could control them and think about nothing.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Does anybody think a lot of the problems in our life is related to over thinking things through? We think TOO MUCH about something. You know ignorance is bliss kinda holds true.

My thoughts race all the time :(. I wish I could control them and think about nothing.

Yup. I think being thoughtful and introspective can put you at risk for depression or make depression worse. I can't and wouldn't be any other way, but I can certainly fall into the trap of over thinking things, or ruminating on the negative things in my life. This is where mindfulness comes in - you need to be able to identify your thoughts, figure out any cognitive distortions, get at the root of a troubling thought, and gain some control.

I'm so happy my meeting today went well. I'm so lucky to go to a medical school where people understand and are sympathetic to depression. I'm taking a few weeks off to really get things in order and come back strong. I love medicine and I'm glad the school is just as adamant as I am that I get into tip-top shape for the challenges of the rotations.

It's great to have strong support here in this thread, in PMs, over Skype, and by phone. You've helped me a lot by listening, by being good friends, by making me feel like I'm helping people by posting here, and just for letting me try to help you. I've learned a ton from you all and your kind words have meant the world to me. I'm lucky to have this resource and to get to be a part of it.

Collete

You can also PM me if you need someone to listen, I'm always around here usually.

Expressing your feelings instead of bottling it up and having that fester is a good step!
I have said all sorts of things in this thread as well that I didn't think I'd have the guts to say.
We can all be embarrassed together and not die from it and learn that it's okay and not to bad after all. XD

Yeah I suppse, heh, thanks!
I guess I can think of this place as a loose form of group counseling? Maybe haha.

Prez

Try some form of exercise. Play basketball, run, do yoga. Whatever is most comfortable to you. Blast heavy metal into your headphones while you run. Get lost in your workout and you'll forget your sadness for those moments. Afterward, you'll feel the benefits of endorphins and feel good about yourself. Plus, more blood will circulate your brain and help it function better.

I would not recommend blasting loud music. Tinnitus is very common with noise exposure and often leads to depression. Once you have noise-induced tinnitus, you have it for the rest of your life. I only have slight tinnitus but I'd be happier if I didn't.

Enjoy life as much as you can, but be responsible.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I have this little chunk of time to focus on healing up, and it gives me chance to try out an idea I've been kicking around. I thought it might be useful to do some interviews with members of depression-GAF. They'd be open-ended, done over skype or email or whatever is convenient. We could just chat about your story with depression, what you've tried for treatment, what has helped, what hasn't helped, etc. You can ask me questions and I can talk, or I can lay back and just ask short questions to give you topics to discuss.

The interviews could be anonymous, either from the start (use a fake email address or skype account) or, preferably, we can talk and I can just leave out your name (I'd like to have some idea who I'm talking to). I know some of you have mentioned that you're reluctant to share your story here, so this may be a way for you to participate and help others. Even if you don't think your story is going to be of any interest, a) you're probably wrong, if for no other reason than we all want to know we're not alone and b) I can try to drag some interesting stuff out of you using my AMAZING* interview skills.

Sound like a good idea? PM me if you're interested and we'll try to set up a time. If one of our more active members, or someone who feels he or she has a particularly interesting story, we can kick this thing off right. If you know people with stories of depression who don't post i this thread, point them my way.

If you don't like the idea, there's no need to say anything. A resounding lack of interest will let me know that this is a non-starter. If you'd be interested in reading the interviews, but maybe aren't up for being interviewed right away, do let me know that, too.

I like the free-ranging discussion in this thread, but an occasional dose of more structured content might prove helpful.

And don't worry - this is a chance for you to share your thoughts and experience with others. I'm not going to play psychiatrist and try to diagnose you and suggest a bunch of treatment options. My role will just be to facilitate the conversation.

*citation needed

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face

Yes. Definitely yes.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

My life is getting better, and I had my 6 week follow up with my Dr after starting Fluoxetine. He gave me the thumbs up that I was doing better and to stick with my current regimine.

My mom is still supportive, but there definitely a level of denial that I have a real illness and/or mental health problems. She just says a lot of people have anxiety like you do, and feel down sometimes. I just roll my eyes because she's still supportive and all.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.

Absolutely. My depression is undoubtedly linked in many ways to my obsessive-compulsive tendencies and phobias (specifically germs). My entire life literally revolves around these things. I plan everything I do minutes, hours and days in advance and constantly think and re-think every move and decision I make. It's all terribly embarrassing and has turned me into more of an anti-social hermit than ever (although I'm pretty much okay with this) because it effects ALL aspects of my life. My doctor is the only person who knows this about me, aside from my ex-girlfriend.

The only time I'm ever able to let my guard down is when my day is over and I'm sitting on the couch, alone — although, most of the time, I'm still thinking about something (I just feel more physically comfortable).

Prez

Does anyone else experience a lot of stress from having a lot of clutter around and having too many things to focus on? I want to get rid of this stress by throwing everything out that I don't need, but there's still a lot I can't throw away. I've also been clearing out my music and book collection. Having too much of those makes me feel overwhelmed because I want to read and listen to everything at the same time. I was so much happier when I only had a couple books and no more than a few dozen albums. I was able to focus on one thing at a time then. Also looking at minimalist interior design makes me feel a lot at ease.

It may not seem like a big deal but it really does prevent me from functioning. I do have obsessive-compulsive tendencies, I suspect it has a lot to do with that.

GlassBox

Banned
Here's another one.

Does anyone else get depression triggered through popular media (movies, tv and books)? I've often found that, through watching or reading certain situations, most typically those involving descriptions of youth, relationships and long-lasting friendships to be those which cause an almost immediate surge in depression.

I've actually found books to be the worst culprit, because of all the written details and descriptions used to illustrate these events, especially when they get into talking about the wonders of relationships and bonds that are forged between individuals and the happiness that is shared.

It really sucks. I wish it didn't happen, but I've caught it happening almost near constantly for me to ignore it.

What can be done about a total lack of sex drive? This may be lengthy, so please bear with me.

I had to move back home after college graduation due to a lack of jobs in the college town I was currently living. This was absolutely devastating for me socially. I went from living in a town surrounded by peers with similar interests to being somewhat of an oddity in my hometown because of my age. I am surrounded by geriatrics, conservatives, and there are no people here my age. I am 28.

You know what? I am pretty good looking, but I can do fuck all about my dating situation at the moment. I've tried online dating. I've tried asking girls out. Nothing. The most common response I receive is that they're already dating someone. I am not a fool. That may the case some of the times, of even a majority of the times, but sometimes convenient excuses are also lies. So I've been without female companionship for three years and this does not look to change. I could lower my standards. I already have. But if I scrape the bottom of the barrel any more I'll be digging myself to China. In short, this has utterly destroyed my sex drive. I've grown so accustom to be single that I'm getting eerily comfortable with it. This may have severely hindered me in the long term, but what's a guy to do?

What can be done about a total lack of sex drive? This may be lengthy, so please bear with me.

I had to move back home after college graduation due to a lack of jobs in the college town I was currently living. This was absolutely devastating for me socially. I went from living in a town surrounded by peers with similar interests to being somewhat of an oddity in my hometown because of my age. I am surrounded by geriatrics, conservatives, and there are no people here my age. I am 28.

You know what? I am pretty good looking, but I can do fuck all about my dating situation at the moment. I've tried online dating. I've tried asking girls out. Nothing. The most common response I receive is that they're already dating someone. I am not a fool. That may the case some of the times, of even a majority of the times, but sometimes convenient excuses are also lies. So I've been without female companionship for three years and this does not look to change. I could lower my standards. I already have. But if I scrape the bottom of the barrel any more I'll be digging myself to China. In short, this has utterly destroyed my sex drive. I've grown so accustom to be single that I'm getting eerily comfortable with it. This may have severely hindered me in the long term, but what's a guy to do?

Find a job elsewhere and move.

Dilly

Banned
Here's another one.

Does anyone else get depression triggered through popular media (movies, tv and books)? I've often found that, through watching or reading certain situations, most typically those involving descriptions of youth, relationships and long-lasting friendships to be those which cause an almost immediate surge in depression.

I've actually found books to be the worst culprit, because of all the written details and descriptions used to illustrate these events, especially when they get into talking about the wonders of relationships and bonds that are forged between individuals and the happiness that is shared.

It really sucks. I wish it didn't happen, but I've caught it happening almost near constantly for me to ignore it.

Western society's idea of what a regular life should be like and the people not meeting those 'expectations' is what I feel is the problem for many people who feel depressed. It's all around us, constantly, spoon fed since we were children. The constant pressure to fit in, some can deal with it and others can't. I have problems with it sometimes, depends on how I'm feeling.

Feep

Banned
I receive this advice all the time and it's frankly of no use to me. Good luck finding a job in another part of the country where you can support yourself and where you have no ties. Moving on a prayer could destroy me financially.
Do you have a family, or debt? If you have neither, you don't really need more than five thousand saved up. I only had $4600 when I moved clear across the country to Los Angeles.

Do you have a family, or debt? If you have neither, you don't really need more than five thousand saved up. I only had $4600 when I moved clear across the country to Los Angeles.

Of course I have debt. If you're 28 and you don't have any sort of debt in this economy you're either rich or blessed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom