• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 - Official Launch Trailer

CREMSteve

Missed this today, looks ok. There's just something... off about it. Can't put my finger on it though.

Already have it pre-ordered regardless.

bigmac996

Missed this today, looks ok. There's just something... off about it. Can't put my finger on it though.

Already have it pre-ordered regardless.

I feel the same way. Maybe it's the fact that this could pass as a D1 trailer in my mind, or maybe it's them randomly throwing in a sparrow to spice up a lot of the gunfight sequences in the trailer.

Regardless, I'm buying the shit out of this day one. Trailer was disappointing, but still got me hyped.

Makikou

Already got both PS4 and PC versions, i'm so hard into this game.

I got thursday and friday off too to play some D2 on release..

bigmac996

What the hell does “this could pass for a d1 trailer” even mean?

I honestly think it could innovate more, and the trailer didn't sell me on it being that big of a leap for a sequel. Maybe a bit hyperbolic on my end, but I'm still getting the game. I'm also honestly not aware of the "Destiny 1.5 bullshit" since I haven't been involved in any of the sequel discussion either. So sorry for not doing my homework, and if it was a shitpost, my bad.

Sadly still haven't heard any indication that endgame won't be a trash fire again.

Everything about this game feels like an expansion. (Unsurprising since destiny one expansions felt like free updates or 5$ dlc packs).

Bummer :(

renzolama

Sadly still haven't heard any indication that endgame won't be a trash fire again.

Everything about this game feels like an expansion. (Unsurprising since destiny one expansions felt like free updates or 5$ dlc packs).

I think you've got room to fit a bit more bait in there if you squeeze tightly

zoukka

The story bits are so bad they are almost preventing me to buy the game even though I will just skip them if possible.

It's like they purposely wanted to create the shittiest possible story.

each expansion raid was worth well over $5 alone. we get it, the game isn't for you. no need for the shitposting and over the top hyperbole. why are you here?

ZeoVGM

Banned
The story bits are so bad they are almost preventing me to buy the game even though I will just skip them if possible.

I mean, by most accounts, it's pretty clear that making a good story is one of their top priorities this time.

ZeoVGM

Banned

I mean, you could just say "I didn't play Destiny past the first 4 months."

Rise of Iron and especially The Taken King unquestionably do not fit your description.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
This trailer can't hold a match that lights the candle of the D1 trailers.

Underwhelming would be an understatement.

This is the complete opposite of how I felt after watching this trailer for the 10th time on repeat.

Hype overload, loving it and personally think it shits all over D1's trailers all day, every day.

Do you mean in the trailer or in the game that isn't released yet?

I'm a tad confused.... everything that's been shown of the stories and worldbuilding so far seems top notch.

Tovarisc

The ๖ۜBronx;246658466 said:
They're talking about spoiling the raid, which means finding five other people who haven't seen or heard anything about it. Granted the GoT example was inaccurate in that sense.

I'm talking in general content and raid. GoT analogy applies to first quite well as even if you avoid Destiny specific places you will get spoiled about Destiny 2 content.

Not really from what I experienced in beta. regular mobs took much more bullets to kill and pvp ttk was noticeably longer than D1.

Not a fan of this change.

TTK in PvE was pretty much same it's in Destiny 1. In PvP it was slightly higher because less generous auto aim and less OHK weapons rolling around.

These do technically happen. But they're told poorly.

These all do certainly occur, but honestly seeing these makes me even more frustrated with some of the storytelling in D1. Because seeing these events laid out like this immediately has me imagine what these could be like; the weight these events could carry, the emotional potency that could come with doing these epic storylines. But I don't really feel they had that weight. The storylines I played in Destiny felt like the shells of what they could of been, what they were supposed to be. Take, for example, Rise of Iron. The whole idea of SIVA, of Saladin's feelings of failing his best friends and comrades and needing to make up for it. The feelings of picking up the mantle of this storied legion of heroes and ending this unstoppable force of corruption when it seems to outnumber you. All of these seem like potentially incredibly effective story elements, but in reality they feel rushed through, or reveal themselves to be far more shallow than they might have been.

I think part of that, like a lot of D1, is because I never felt like the world was truly threatened from these things. The tower was always pristine and un-touched. That's one of the things that has me most excited for D2; a sense of actual emotional weight and a legitimate price to pay for saving the day. Something I felt D1 never really gave me.

Everything I listed does happen in Destiny 1 and is just that what I listed. I'm not challenging the fact that they are poorly told in the game and by the game. It's something they hopefully do a lot better in Destiny 2.

Already epic VoG would have been even more so if it had few story cutscenes spliced in to flesh out events there in past and now.

I'm a tad confused.... everything that's been shown of the stories and worldbuilding so far seems top notch.

Admittedly I've only watched this trailer once and haven't been devouring every morsel, but really? To me it looks like a pretty conventional supersrsbznss+lolwisecrack show. Nothing wrong with that, but the game's gonna have to do a lot to really justify that praise, imo.

Also, ludonarrative dissonance will always win out for me in games like this. 'Loss' means nothing in a world where a zillion Guardians can dance their way around a campfire, tbh. But that's my problem.

zoukka

Do you mean in the trailer or in the game that isn't released yet?

It looks on par with D1 and that game had the worst story and storytelling of any AAA game since... I dunno ever?

Like even the very first shot of those two brutes walking inside the ship looked goofy as fuck. Where the hell do they get these people who direct the cutscenes, it looks like the bold & the beautiful, but instead of fashion designers you have galactic emperors and demigods.

Tovarisc

It looks on par with D1 and that game had the worst story and storytelling of any AAA game since... I dunno ever?

Like even the very first shot of those two brutes walking inside the ship looked goofy as fuck. Where the hell do they get these people who direct the cutscenes, it looks like the bold & the beautiful, but instead of fashion designers you have galactic emperors and demigods.

Can you link to me that extensive Destiny 2 story content that you have access to? I mean you must have in order to declare them to be on par with each other and D2 not being story and storytelling improvement.

Also people directing these cutscenes most likely are same people who did for their Halo games. You hated those too for their "goofiness", or?

zoukka

Can you link to me that extensive Destiny 2 story content that you have access to? I mean you must have in order to declare them to be on par with each other and D2 not being story and storytelling improvement.

Also people directing these cutscenes most likely are same people who did for their Halo games. You hated those too for their "goofiness", or?

If it was unclear to you I am talking about the trailers only duh so yeah I guess the final game can improve on these snippets, but the devs don't have any good will after D1.

Haven't played any modern Halo games.

Tovarisc

If it was unclear to you I am talking about the trailers only duh so yeah I guess the final game can improve on these snippets, but the devs don't have any good will after D1.

Haven't played any modern Halo games.

I have quite a bit good will towards Bungie after seeing strides they made for story and storytelling in TTK and ROI. If they take that and even one up it then we are getting some good narration.

Svejk

Having not played D1, it won me the fuck over! Much excite! I deliberately held off many purchases of D1 just to wait for D2.

gattsu

Having not played D1, it won me the fuck over! Much excite! I deliberately held off many purchases of D1 just to wait for D2.

You missed out on a hidden gem in D1, good luck jumping into D2! You're in for a treat. Just keep your expectations tempered.

deadfolk

Wait, so is there really content that takes 7/8 hours in one sitting?

I'm on the fence about picking this up (only played a few hours of D1 for various reasons), but there's no way I have space in my life for something like that.

Shadous

Neo Member
Wait, so is there really content that takes 7/8 hours in one sitting?

I'm on the fence about picking this up (only played a few hours of D1 for various reasons), but there's no way I have space in my life for something like that.

That sounds like doing a blind-raid. If that's a thing you were going to do, it would only happen the one time. Raids among experienced players are more in the 2 hour range and even if only one person knows the mechanics, they're far shorter than 7-8 hours..

V1ctIm

Neo Member
That sounds like doing a blind-raid. If that's a thing you were going to do, it would only happen the one time. Raids among experienced players are more in the 2 hour range and even if only one person knows the mechanics, they're far shorter than 7-8 hours..
Lol! Some blind raids I did took like 8 hrs just to do the first couple of checkpoints. Super fun, but man did we bang our heads on vex and hive architecture for a while. :) Can't wait to see what they come up with this time!

deadfolk

Good to know - thanks!

Symbiotx

lol it wouldn't be a Destiny thread without everyone shitting on it. I feel like I'm in some bizarro world where peole have forgiven NMS and still shit on Destiny after it made so many improvements.

I wonder what it's like to be one of the people that see a cool trailer like this and just start taking notes about what they can talk shit about. "Oh and let me slap a comment in there about how awkward a couple characters look!"

It's just comical at this point. Nothing can stop my hype train though. Can't wait!

This game is so weird. I don't care about the story. I think the art design is bland and I'm not a fan of all the muted colors. I don't think this game will improve or iterate on the first game in any significant way. I didn't really enjoy the beta.

However, I am ridiculously excited for it, I'm double-dipping, and I'm sure I'll spend another 500 hours with it. The gameplay is just that good.

hydruxo

It really didn't lol. Nothing about that was goofy.

Vlade

Also, ludonarrative dissonance will always win out for me in games like this. 'Loss' means nothing in a world where a zillion Guardians can dance their way around a campfire, tbh. But that's my problem.
The fact that guardians come back after death is a mechanic completely in step with the narrative. the player is a guardian BECAUSE they can fight again and again and again.

This game is so weird. I don't care about the story. I think the art design is bland and I'm not a fan of all the muted colors. I don't think this game will improve or iterate on the first game in any significant way. I didn't really enjoy the beta.

However, I am ridiculously excited for it, I'm double-dipping, and I'm sure I'll spend another 500 hours with it. The gameplay is just that good.

Story is so insignificant in loot farming/ARPG's to me; I find it such a waste of resources unless it's a truly good story, and it doesn't look that great to me. But I guess people wanted it so that's fine.

I'm also pretty pumped, but I didn't play near 500 hours of the original, maybe more like 150. It didn't hook me in like it was meant to, and I love Diablo and other games that do the loot grind well. I'm hoping this one is an improvement in that regard, but yeah the gameplay is great.

KaoteK

Anyone know when reviews are dropping? I'm waiting to see how much content the game has before committing 100%. I'm fighting the temptation to pre-order given all my friends are jumping in and I want in too.

Kill3r7

Anyone know when reviews are dropping? I'm waiting to see how much content the game has before committing 100%. I'm fighting the temptation to pre-order given all my friends are jumping in and I want in too.

The operative word here is your friends. Destiny is a completely different experience when played with friends. Odds are you will get hundreds of hours of entertainment regardless of content.

Tovarisc

Haven't heard anything, but I imagine they do same as they did with Destiny 1. No reviewer copies or access.

MastAndo

Watching videos of this running at 60 FPS on PC is making me salivate. My friends, who may or may not even get the game are on PS4, and my living room set up only for comfy couch controller play at the moment, but still, PC version is so tempting.

Kill3r7

Watching videos of this running at 60 FPS on PC is making me salivate. My friends, who may or may not even get the game are on PS4, and my living room set up only for comfy couch controller play at the moment, but still, PC version is so tempting.

PC is very tempting but too many unknowns right now. If they would allow shared builds between PC and consoles I would buy it in heart beat.

Tovarisc

Hope the story is standalone since I only played vanilla Destiny.

They have talked about how they want treat every big release [Destiny 2, 3...] to be moment where they can invite and get new people jump in and join ranks of vets. This implies that they write stories with that in mind.

Top Bottom