• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 - Official Launch Trailer

You must be new to the Internet. Avoiding spoilers is next to impossible.

For e.g. I haven't been keeping up with GoT so I avoid obvious spoiler caves for GoT, but still getting spoiled.

Just don't go online then, do something else with your time. It's not impossible

Van Bur3n

Would have been a better trailer if they still had Marty.

Guessing you can't do cool shit like shooting while on a Sparrow though, huh? Sounds too fun for Bungie to actually do.

"We all know what needs to be done."

*cue dramatic pause*

"Planned obsolescence for gear, microtransactions for cosmetics and emotes."

*cue dramatic trailer music*

Juan

Has there been any announcement regarding if our Guardian will be voiced like in Vanilla?

In the beta it felt so awkward when our Guardian was always silent.

I mean hell, when something like Guild Wars 2 can push out free updates that contain lots of dialogue for the player character for 5 races and both sexes (for a total of 10 voice actors), but Destiny can't have 6 voice actors for minimal dialogue?

If I remember right, Luke said our Guardian will remain silent during the whole game.

Yeah, I feel it will be really dumb to see our Ghost make all the talk while our character while just be... watching the whole thing. :/

V1ctIm

Neo Member
So excited!! Can't wait to officially jump back into new adventures and meet random guardians and wave and dance with them on Patrol. :)))))))

Guessing you can't do cool shit like shooting while on a Sparrow though, huh? Sounds too fun for Bungie to actually do.

They said closer to the launch of part 1 that they felt nobody would get off their sparrows cuz it would be too fun, so they arent interested in doing that.

Lol

hiryu

Can't wait to play it. I gave the beta a bunch of shit but I'm still really excited. I'm hoping my complaints are some what addressed in the final game.

Kalentan

If I remember right, Luke said our Guardian will remain silent during the whole game.

Yeah, I feel it will be really dumb to see our Ghost make all the talk while our character while just be... watching the whole thing. :/

For me, it doesn't help me become immersed in my guardian. In fact it makes me feel more like a passive viewer to the events going on rather than an active participant in the story.

It sucks and I hate to use this because I know they're damn harder workers but it comes across as lazy.

Raven117

For me, it doesn't help me become immersed in my guardian. In fact it makes me feel more like a passive viewer to the events going on rather than an active participant in the story.

It sucks and I hate to use this because I know they're damn harder workers but it comes across as lazy.

IMO, it would be fine if they put more work into the Ghost, and its voice...not just some dumb side kick. In the end, it pretty much becomes your monologue of the MC.

StMeph

No less hyped for Destiny 2, but that trailer kind of sucked. The earlier trailers were better, both for showing pieces of the game, and for what the game would be about. This is... just a jumbled mess.

Yeah, yeah, Bungie are fun-sucking vampires

You just can't help yourself, do you?

uceenk

tried the demo the other day and i was having a blast

so, this would be my first PS4 games that i will buy on day one on full price, the other games i bought usually because of discounted or used games

can't fucking wait

Van Bur3n

Yeah, yeah, Bungie are fun-sucking vampires

You just can't help yourself, do you?

Well, you said it yourself.

But what can I say? I calls it like I sees it. Bungie has been the king of no fun allowed since the Halo days. And so beest that Bungie remainth the king of no fun. Come nerf unto thee, for their name be Bungie.

MrDaravon

Trailer was solid, wasn't completely blown away (ign dot com) but it was good.

I still think even with ~2k hours into Destiny 1 I'm going to either Gamefly it or wait a bit. While their continued refusal to balance PvE/PvP separately is frustrating, more importantly I'm still very very wary of the dual primary system. That horse has been beaten to death so it's not worth dragging out here, but after playing the beta I'm concerned enough about it where I haven't pre-ordered it and likely won't get it day one. Any cool story stuff or mission variety is a moot point if the dual primary system is a bust. Also still wanting to see how the final class balance is, like 90% of my D1 time was a Hunter and I was not thrilled with what we had in the Beta which has apparently changed somewhat, but I need details.

I'd still love to be proven wrong, and this comes out at a near perfect release window for me, but yeah.

bigmase84

Neo Member
I don't know if this is the right thread to post this in but I'm currently getting a download for the base game... anyone care to put their input on what this might be?

Blueblur1

I really liked this trailer. Might be one of the best Destiny trailers they've put together.

The trailer, coupled with the changes from the beta, have me feeling positive about the game again. I'm going to keep my pre-order and ask for the day off from work.

Heads up: the PS4 limited edition is available on GameStop online again. I just preordered a copy using their app even though their stores told me they were sold out.

ZeoVGM

Banned
  • We stop Vex from literally rewriting fabric of time and universe.
  • We avenge hundreds if not thousands Guardians slaughtered by Crota.
  • We prevent Houses of Fallen uniting into army we couldn't deal with.
  • We kill a God
  • We uncover ancient nanite tech with build in AI that has gone to shit and threatens Earths existence as planet and stop it from spreading
  • As all above is unfolding we start to learn more and more about races threatening us, our Golden Age, Collapse, Warminds, Ahamkara etc.
Not much going on in D1 :b

These do technically happen. But they're told poorly.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I never played the first game. Knowing what we do about the sequel, would this be a good game for a solo player that doesn't want to do PvP much if at all?

Nauren

I mean you can't deny that the vast majority of the patches in D1 were essentially "No fun allowed"

What up, loot cave? That was some of the most fun to be had in early D1.

I spent a LOT of time at that cave. It was anything but fun^^ I would cross my fingers for some event to take place so I could actually have fun.

Can't really fault them for fixing an exploit anyways. There are plenty of legit things to fault them over

HowZatOZ

Banned
I really hope they are able to turn around and launch the PC version earlier. Absolutely sucks we have to wait over a month for the same game.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I mean you can't deny that the vast majority of the patches in D1 were essentially "No fun allowed"

What up, loot cave? That was some of the most fun to be had in early D1.

Out of all the things to go after Bungie for in regard to a "no fun allowed" patch, a loot cave that clearly needed to be fixed is a silly choice.

Juan

I never played the first game. Knowing what we do about the sequel, would this be a good game for a solo player that doesn't want to do PvP much if at all?

As myself a solo player when I first played Destiny 1, I think D2 will hold enough hours of gameplay for you to have fun, especially if you want to come around and just chill while exploring some areas, and will eventually open you new door if you have the chance to find teammates for the Raids.

Strikes (20 to 40 minutes missions) have matchmaking so you can play and replay this content without having to worry for teammates, and this time, the solo campaign seems to be enjoyable (even if I still think it's not the strength of Destiny.

I can't say I would 100% recommend Destiny 1 for solo players, but with some activities having matchmaking and guide game (a low-profit matchmaking), if you like customization, doing good shit with random and having a good gun feel, you will find a somehow good game worth of your time.

Comet

It's weird, I have the Pro bundle preordered but I can't get excited over this game. Something from this series just doesn't mesh well with me for some reason. I'll give it a shot but if it doesn't do much for me I'll trade it in while the game has value. Hope it reels me in, look at the excitement in this thread.

Sai-kun

Banned
i have no idea what's happening and it doesn't appeal. didn't they release a super 'funny' trailer for d2 like 2 months ago? what's with the seriousness? i thought they were going full borderlands

hydruxo

Are you talking strictly solo for everything? Cause even if you're avoiding PVP and sticking to PVE, you'll need to have a fireteam for most activities except for patrols and missions. If you want to just only be solo at all times you'll probably get bored too. Destiny is a co-op game above all.

I'd suggest checking out the Destiny 2 OT when it goes up and adding a lot of those people to your friends list for when the game comes out. I did that with Destiny 1 and made several friends who I still play other games with to this day.

You expect dungeon or raid boss to die from one hit, or?

Regular mobs and even elites are very fast to mow through. All of them have critical points (usually head) and elements burn through shields fast.
Not really from what I experienced in beta. regular mobs took much more bullets to kill and pvp ttk was noticeably longer than D1.

Not a fan of this change.

ZeoVGM

Banned
i have no idea what's happening and it doesn't appeal. didn't they release a super 'funny' trailer for d2 like 2 months ago? what's with the seriousness? i thought they were going full borderlands

They never released anything that should make you think they were going "full Borderlands." Humor has been part of Destiny for a long time now and the trailer you're referring to was half serious/half humor.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Not really from what I experienced in beta. regular mobs took much more bullets to kill and pvp ttk was noticeably longer than D1.

Not a fan of this change.

Dunno what you're referring to. Time to kill mobs of enemies was not "noticeably" longer than D1 in the beta. Maybe a little? This will obviously change as you go further into the base game.

• We stop Vex from literally rewriting fabric of time and universe.
  • We avenge hundreds if not thousands Guardians slaughtered by Crota.
  • We prevent Houses of Fallen uniting into army we couldn't deal with.
  • We kill a God
  • We uncover ancient nanite tech with build in AI that has gone to shit and threatens Earths existence as planet and stop it from spreading
  • As all above is unfolding we start to learn more and more about races threatening us, our Golden Age, Collapse, Warminds, Ahamkara etc.
Not much going on in D1 :b

These all do certainly occur, but honestly seeing these makes me even more frustrated with some of the storytelling in D1. Because seeing these events laid out like this immediately has me imagine what these could be like; the weight these events could carry, the emotional potency that could come with doing these epic storylines. But I don't really feel they had that weight. The storylines I played in Destiny felt like the shells of what they could of been, what they were supposed to be. Take, for example, Rise of Iron. The whole idea of SIVA, of Saladin's feelings of failing his best friends and comrades and needing to make up for it. The feelings of picking up the mantle of this storied legion of heroes and ending this unstoppable force of corruption when it seems to outnumber you. All of these seem like potentially incredibly effective story elements, but in reality they feel rushed through, or reveal themselves to be far more shallow than they might have been.

I think part of that, like a lot of D1, is because I never felt like the world was truly threatened from these things. The tower was always pristine and un-touched. That's one of the things that has me most excited for D2; a sense of actual emotional weight and a legitimate price to pay for saving the day. Something I felt D1 never really gave me.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
As myself a solo player when I first played Destiny 1, I think D2 will hold enough hours of gameplay for you to have fun, especially if you want to come around and just chill while exploring some areas, and will eventually open you new door if you have the chance to find teammates for the Raids.

Strikes (20 to 40 minutes missions) have matchmaking so you can play and replay this content without having to worry for teammates, and this time, the solo campaign seems to be enjoyable (even if I still think it's not the strength of Destiny.

I can't say I would 100% recommend Destiny 1 for solo players, but with some activities having matchmaking and guide game (a low-profit matchmaking), if you like customization, doing good shit with random and having a good gun feel, you will find a somehow good game worth of your time.

Are you talking strictly solo for everything? Cause even if you're avoiding PVP and sticking to PVE, you'll need to have a fireteam for most activities except for patrols and missions. If you want to just only be solo at all times you'll probably get bored too. Destiny is a co-op game above all.

I'd suggest checking out the Destiny 2 OT when it goes up and adding a lot of those people to your friends list for when the game comes out. I did that with Destiny 1 and made several friends who I still play other games with to this day.
Well, I don't mind playing with randoms; matchmaking is fine. I've just never really been into parties and clans and whatnot since my schedule is pretty erratic.

Thanks for the info.

I'm likely going to play hundreds of hours of D2 either way but I'm curious if they can get the story for the casuals and also jam it full of lore for the more diehards out there and satisfy both groups. It looks like they're off to a good start on the story.

Floody

Good, but not great trailer, but did the job and got me a little bit more excited.
I'm a little disappointed we haven't had a live action trailer for 2 yet though (unless I've missed it). Thought pretty much all of Destiny 1's were great.

hydruxo

Good, but not great trailer, but did the job and got me a little bit more excited.
I'm a little disappointed we haven't had a live action trailer for 2 yet though (unless I've missed it). Thought pretty much all of Destiny 1's were great.

Hopefully we get one next week since we're two weeks out from launch. I remember the D1 live action ad being all over tv for a while back around the time that launched.

Top Bottom