• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 - Official Launch Trailer

Tovarisc

Those bullet points all happen in game, btw. The grimoire is amazing, but it's mostly embellishment or telling side stories.

Book of Sorrows, so gud!

Also all those not-so-subtle implication that Ahamkara have existed for long, long time and in multiple systems.

lu
Make the raid 3 weeks from release date (maybe...MAYBE 4), and then open the raid at 2am on Saturday morning.

Gives us normal people with other responsibilities at least a chance to be geared up and be apart of the blind raids and they hysterics that come with it.
I'd rather an activity that could take 7-8hrs on the first run not start at 2am personally, as someone with responsibilities.

LowParry

Super excited to play this. Going PC so it's a bit longer of a wait but will be hella worth it. Got most of my friends wanting to play so having it on PC is fantastic.

Foxxsoxx

• We stop Vex from literally rewriting fabric of time and universe.
  • We avenge hundreds if not thousands Guardians slaughtered by Crota.
  • We prevent Houses of Fallen uniting into army we couldn't deal with.
  • We kill a God
  • We uncover ancient nanite tech with build in AI that has gone to shit and threatens Earths existence as planet and stop it from spreading
  • As all above is unfolding we start to learn more and more about races threatening us, our Golden Age, Collapse, Warminds, Ahamkara etc.
Not much going on in D1 :b

You're hyping it up to be more than it is lol.

We do those for the sake of the DLC having a plot so they can have a reason for us to kill things. That being said, the actual plots they gave us were paper thin for the DLCs. (WE HAVE TO STOP SIVA THIS COULD RUIN EVERYTHING! *next mission you stop SIVA EZPZ*)

The only ones that are actually neat are Vault of Glass and to some extent Oryx (in game he is the most generic baddie they could have made even though in the lore it's very cool).

Very little happens in D1 that is actually interesting. It shows great potential but never really trusts itself to go anywhere with what they have.

I'm not sure about DLC.

Games can be shared, you just need to set your home console to her's and just login to your account on the console you use. The home console will always have access and you can get to your library when you're logged in. Someone can probably do a better job at explaining that than me.

DLC should work, it's worked for me and my girlfrie d since TTK and that included all pre-order and limited edition stuff too

Tovarisc

You're hyping it up to be more than it is lol.

We do those for the sake of the DLC having a plot so they can have a reason for us to kill things. That being said, the actual plots they gave us were paper thin for the DLCs. (WE HAVE TO STOP SIVA THIS COULD RUIN EVERYTHING! *next mission you stop SIVA EZPZ*)

The only ones that are actually neat are Vault of Glass and to some extent Oryx and that is only explored through lore, nowhere to be seen in game.

If you really water down stories and lore of the games then next to no game deserve hype for them as they are just lines and excuses for us to kill shit for XP and gear. Shit going down in Destiny 1 is actually really hype stuff if you interested in background and outcomes.

Raven117

The ๖ۜBronx;246645656 said:
I'd rather an activity that could take 7-8hrs on the first run not start at 2am personally, as someone with responsibilities.

I just meant reset. Id happily take 2am on a Saturday morning considering they have only released them on weekdays. Its kinda irritating actually.

Trace

Banned
Bets on Raid release? I will say the weekend of the 22nd only because I go on vacation every Sept and it's been released on the day I leave every time lol.

A week at least I hope.

First week of November. Enough time to get all the PC players in and not spoil the raid for a significant portion of the fanbase.

Fuck you Bungie with this delayed bullshit.

)
The only ones that are actually neat are Vault of Glass and to some extent Oryx and that is only explored through lore, nowhere to be seen in game.
The Book of Sorrows is some of the deepest lore in the game. Personally my favourite lore was surrounding the warminds, and thought the SIVA cards were pretty interesting too. I thought the lore around Eris and Crota, plus the Hive in general, was also decent.

Think you give those events too little credit for the lore they offer around them. As far as them not being in the game itself that will always be a solid point. I just think that there were more interesting things going on than just VoG and a bit of Oryx.

Tovarisc

First week of November. Enough time to get all the PC players in and not spoil the raid for a significant portion of the fanbase.

Fuck you Bungie with this delayed bullshit.

There will be absolute no Vanilla content left that isn't released, 100% explored, 200% guided and extremely spoiled by the time PC version is released.

Including raid.

Foxxsoxx

If you really water down stories and lore of the games then next to no game deserve hype for them as they are just lines and excuses for us to kill shit for XP and gear. Shit going down in Destiny 1 is actually really hype stuff if you interested in background and outcomes.

It's interesting in the lore but the point is none of the lore is in the game, which really defeats the purpose.

Then you have things like SIVA that was literally just made up so they could have an expansion. It was nothing more than a side story that went nowhere. I'm not saying it wasn't fun, but it isn't pressing the story further in any way which is what I'm trying to point out.

Thats in the past though, hopefully D2 delivers with the story.

The ๖ۜBronx;246646182 said:
The Book of Sorrows is some of the deepest lore in the game. Personally my favourite lore was surrounding the warminds, and thought the SIVA cards were pretty interesting too. I thought the lore around Eris and Crota, plus the Hive in general, was also decent.

Think you give those events too little credit for the lore they offer around them. As far as them not being in the game itself that will always be a solid point. I just think that there were more interesting things going on than just VoG and a bit of Oryx.

I don't give it credit because the lore wasn't in the game.

If they told a story through the lore that'd be excellent but instead they made a super generic looking story for the game to simplify it to the fullest and put the actual interesting parts of it in the Grim nowhere to be seen in game. Most people that play Destiny have no idea about the lore because they aren't shown it unless you browse the Youtube videos or Reddit, and a lot of that is just guesses and theory.

If D2 has actual depth to the story in the game it'd be incredible. Hopefully it does.

Raven117

The ๖ۜBronx;246646302 said:
Eh, I'd still prefer ~8pm on any day so I'm likely to be able to see it through without pulling an all nighter.

Well, neither of us will get our wish!

Trace

Banned
There will be absolute no Vanilla content left that isn't released, 100% explored, 200% guided and extremely spoiled by the time PC version is released.

Including raid.

And that's why I hate that they won't do cross save. Either I basically throw away $60 and a character and play it at console launch. Or wait until PC launch and have literally everything in the entire game spoiled, which is half the fun of Destiny.

So again, fuck you Bungie with this delayed bullshit.

Juan

I think that everything you did mostly felt flat in D1 because you don't see impact on the world from your actions, wherever you're winning or losing.

The pre-D1 era felt exciting, collapse, warminds & cie, but nothing really happen in game.

I hope it is something D2 will change, like, at the end of the campaign, you get to go to the Tower once again, rebuilding it and having as a lite second social space. It's not much, but at least, it helps you understand your actions had an impact on the world around you.

And that's why I hate that they won't do cross save. Either I basically throw away $60 and a character and play it at console launch. Or wait until PC launch and have literally everything in the entire game spoiled, which is half the fun of Destiny.

So again, fuck you Bungie with this delayed bullshit.

Or you could just not spoil it for yourself by doing something else until the D2 launch?

Then you have things like SIVA that was literally just made up so they could have an expansion. It was nothing more than a side story that went nowhere. I'm not saying it wasn't fun, but it isn't pressing the story further in any way which is what I'm trying to point out.
The alternative is to have the base game with a cliffhanger leading into the DLC to which you'd have swathes of people moaning that the base game isn't 'complete', even moreso than now.

Tovarisc

Or you could just not spoil it for yourself by doing something else until the D2 launch?

You must be new to the Internet. Avoiding spoilers is next to impossible.

For e.g. I haven't been keeping up with GoT so I avoid obvious spoiler caves for GoT, but still getting spoiled.

Raven117

The ๖ۜBronx;246646628 said:
Nope, that's for sure haha. Either way I'm so hyped about the raid and game in general. That snapshot they keep showing of the fireteam jumping down among that immense vex architecture is soooooo good.

Me too. Man, I have missed me some Destiny.

Alright guys. So I really didn't play Destiny 1. Bought it at launch, put it to the side waiting for content to improve and never got motivated to go back to it.

Would I be a fool to pre-order the digital deluxe version of Destiny 2?

Foxxsoxx

The ๖ۜBronx;246646834 said:
The alternative is to have the base game with a cliffhanger leading into the DLC to which you'd have swathes of people moaning that the base game isn't 'complete', even moreso than now.

The alternative is to have DLC that incorporates the stories of those DLC into future games or at least make the stories interesting in the game itself.

For example if SIVA is never mentioned again then it was pointless because of how effortlessly we stopped it. However if there are ramifications for it in D2 then that could be very interesting. Of course we have no idea if it's over with or not so we just have to wait and see.

I've played over a thousand hours of Destiny, trust me when I say I love the game. I just want it to be all it can be, and I know it could do so much more than what they did with it in D1.

Alright guys. So I really didn't play Destiny 1. Bought it at launch, put it to the side waiting for content to improve and never got motivated to go back to it.

I'd probably play the beta or buy the standard edition and see how you like it unless you just have no worry about money.

When it comes to Destiny you either love it or hate it and it's very mixed.

Wallach

I'd probably wait until after the PC beta at this point.

I don't give it credit because the lore wasn't in the game.

If D2 has actual depth to the story in the game it'd be incredible. Hopefully it does.
Yeh, that's why I said as much. Still, I'll take that over no lore and I'm glad it's there as imo it's some of the more interesting lore in a sci-fi game of late.

Last I checked I can't control the rest of the PC community. It's a community thing, not just me.
I feel for you bud. Missing the first raid blind (accounting for needing 5 others that haven't seen anything) will be a bitter thing. Just keep your chin propped up by knowing you'll be enjoying everything thereafter in a beauty us console players can only imagine.

The alternative is to have DLC that incorporates the stories of those DLC into future games or at least make the stories interesting in the game itself.
Yeh, I may have misunderstood you there then as I unequivocally agree with that point. I'm fine giving them a do-over in Destiny 2 as I enjoyed the first game so much outside of the lack of story. I don't feel like I'm letting too much go. They really need this to be a strong base for the expansions and D3 though.

border

Last I checked I can't control the rest of the PC community. It's a community thing, not just me.

It's really not that hard to avoid spoilers. I have no idea what's going on in Game of Thrones. I don't know how Halo 5 ended.

I played Destiny almost every day until last July and I still don't know what the story in the Rise of Iron DLC is. Something called SIVA is unleashed and then some stuff happens. I haven't seen any of the raid beyond the few snippets that were in pre-release trailers.

What communities are you going to that are cramming spoilers down your throats so much?

Foxxsoxx

The ๖ۜBronx;246647506 said:
Yeh, that's why I said as much. Still, I'll take that over no lore and I'm glad it's there as imo it's some of the more interesting lore in a sci-fi game of late.

What annoys me is that they basically pretend the lore doesn't exist and it grates me because of how interesting it is and they don't even seem to care to expand on it in game in any way. Pure potential, squandered in D1.

At least the base story looks much improved, so we have at the very least that improvement.

Tovarisc

Why does the main villain in this look like a grunt from Halo on steroids!!??

Because Cabal
face-live.jpg

It's really not that hard to avoid spoilers. I have no idea what's going on in Game of Thrones. I don't know how Halo 5 ended.

He's referring to the fact you have to have five other people who also don't know anything about the raid to be able to do it blind. That is quite hard to do outside of a clan.

What annoys me is that they basically pretend the lore doesn't exist and it grates me because of how interesting it is and they don't even seem to care to expand on it in game in any way. Pure potential, squandered in D1.

Yeh, seeing D2's cutscenes just make me think of how good Book of Sorrows would have been told through them. It's a hard pill to swallow knowing that that, and other aspects like the history of The Last Word, will never be realised in that way.

Dec

Ya the issue here is people watching and reading about the raid and such from console information. Then coming into the PC launch with that knowledge, and explaining to others who didn't want to spoil themselves how things work or expecting them to know.

It happens all the time with games that have long-running betas.

Tovarisc

Ya the issue here is people watching and reading about the raid and such from console information. Then coming into the PC launch with that knowledge, and explaining to others who didn't want to spoil themselves how things work or expecting them to know.

It happens all the time with games that have betas.

That too, can't wait for it. Hopefully DGAF who cross from console D2 to PC D2 don't act like that.

That looks like a lot of cutscenes and story for vanilla.

The warlock gear looks a bit better too.

I still need the guns to feel good again though, particularly gun sound design.

Trace

Banned

It happens all the time with games that have betas.

You get it, but for people that don't, by spoilers I'm not concerned about story details. Things like what are the best exotics, what are the best PvP guns, what hidden things are there, how do you do the raid, what's worth buying from Xur, etc. These are all unknowns at console launch. By the time this game gets to PC, there will be a defined PvP meta, raid strategies, "best" builds, all studied and theorycrafted and out at day one. And you can't force the PC community to just ignore everything about the game like that, so it's going to be a fundamentally different experience at PC launch due to that combined communal knowledge.

Finding out all those little things was as fun as the story to me in D1 and I'm annoyed I'm going to miss all of that because Bungie/Activision is trying to get people to double dip by delaying the PC version.

Foxxsoxx

The ๖ۜBronx;246647954 said:
Yeh, seeing D2's cutscenes just make me think of how good Book of Sorrows would have been told through them. It's a hard pill to swallow knowing that that, and other aspects like the history of The Last Word, will never be realised in that way.

Exactly.

Grisby

The lore and back story to D1 is actually incredible if you read the Grimoire cards, or better yet swing by Myelin games Youtube channel because he does an excellent job of explaining the lore of the game in detail
Was just about to ask for something like this. The story in D1 was awful and I never did check out the grimoire cards.

Seems like 2 will offer up a better campaign. This trailer didn't do a whole lot for me though mostly because I don't really have an attachment to the world.

Nodnol

So hyped for this. All my friends who played D1 till HoW are hyped too. Everyone's looking forward to it.

Really does seem to be the game Destiny was meant to. Yeah we get new loot and stuff to shoot but I'm looking forward to an actual cinematic narrative.

They have a bunch of lore that was established in D1, a lot of which was excellent, and the opportunity to expand on the least exposed race from the first game too.

I think most of my biggest D2 wishes are all lore based. They could really go to town with the expansions too; Osiris' DLC has the potential to be awesome, as does Rasputin's.

I'm counting down the days till the 6th. Haven't been this eager to jump into a new title for a long time. Destiny was flawed as hell, but like crack. Bring on a new addiction.

Holiday

Banned
The trailer wasn't great, but it's nice to see they didn't go the obvious route and make the Speaker a bad guy. Or, at least they haven't done that yet lol.

Kalentan

Good trailer... but something has been on my mind recently.

Has there been any announcement regarding if our Guardian will be voiced like in Vanilla?

In the beta it felt so awkward when our Guardian was always silent.

I mean hell, when something like Guild Wars 2 can push out free updates that contain lots of dialogue for the player character for 5 races and both sexes (for a total of 10 voice actors), but Destiny can't have 6 voice actors for minimal dialogue?

Finding out all those little things was as fun as the story to me in D1 and I'm annoyed I'm going to miss all of that because Bungie/Activision is trying to get people to double dip by delaying the PC version.

Try to stay with me here: What if, and I know this a huge stretch, but WHAT IF there wasn't a big evil conspiracy to get you to double dip but they actually needed the extra time to nail the PC release and not give you something that was a broken mess like Arkham City's PC version?

border

The sales of the PC version are going to be significantly harmed by the release delay. They aren't releasing 8 weeks late just to make a handful of people double dip. If they could launch day and date with the console version they definitely would.

120v

i think PC folk know wassup. wait few months for the premium version, no biggie

i really hate the wait but whatever, not a big deal in gist of things. besides it's not like the launch window is everything for these type of games

Top Bottom