• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Reveal Livestream [Over]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting to see people so mad about this apparently ?

I wasn't expecting much because I'm not a huge fan of the original to begin with. All I wanted was 3 player Halo and instead I got some mish mash of diablo and PSO with halo gunplay. Just wasn't my thing.

This looks like a much more solid overall package while not changing THAT much of the core components of the game. Just MORE. Kind of like what happened with Diablo 2 versus Diablo 1 or Borderlands 2 to Borderlands 1.

I'm willing to bet the forthcoming expansion packs will be better planned out as well, a big yearly update for 2018,2019 and 2020 with the likely final chapter of what I'm assuming will be a trilogy showing up in 2021.

With the first game, you could see the seams separating what the game was originally and what it was trying to be. I'm told Taken king substantially fixed quite a bit of those issues but the core of the game was still stuck as a game that was built to run on an Xbox 360 (until last years rise of iron anyway). This looks like they took literally everything that worked and was enjoyed by everyone about the final version of D1 but they glossed it up a bit and added more of a story to the whole affair with brand new varied environments.

I suppose the big thing going forward here is how well the mission structure will hold up. Hopefully the "adventures" they speak of aren't drawn from a pool of 3 or 4 basic "kill X to get Y" auto quests.

I wouldn't say I'm hyped but I've gone from dis-interest to some interest.

Here is what happened.

Destiny 1 comes out in the format we all know and love and love to hate. Destiny should have been as massive open world game with story and characters and all. Not repeatable activities because they ran out of development time. Except that it proved to be SUPER popular. People seemed to like the repeatable activities. So instead of reinventing the wheel with destiny 2 they added on to the structure of destiny 1 with new features and big QOL stuff. Add in 5 new worlds and more activities to do like treasure hunts and the solo experience seems to be much better.

Also matchmaking for raids is brilliant and guided games seems to be doing it the right way instead of matching with a bunch of randoms. Really excited for this feature as i could never really get a good group together.

They followed what ended up being a very popular game.

See like these, these are examples of solid thought out posts.

Two Words

You mean a Destiny Strike plays like a Destiny Strike?

I for one am absolutely shocked

I literally don't see where the complaints this is the same game as the 1st are coming from.

I like your ideas, and don't you think you're being a bit defensive? I just asked you to give me an idea of what you'd expect. The strikes, bosses and general enemy bosses from the taken king beyond had mini raid mechanics embedded in them. This strike seemed like a step back in my opinion so it's not like I necessarily disagree with you. I think they just wanted to show of some of the more generic gameplay in this reveal which I don't necessarily agree with either.

Ehh, your post kinda came across as "Okay, Mr Know It All. Go ahead and tell us how your perfect Destiny boss would be if this is so bad."

I really think as far as gameplay goes, the biggest thing Destiny 2 needed to remove is bullet sponge bosses. They are just really bland design. Headshotting Fallen Vandals and Captains feel great because of how mobile they are. The slow plodding bosses like in that video do a disservice to Destiny's gunplay. It seems like you agree with that though. It seems like you take it as "well, maybe this was just them showing a bad example." But I'm saying that kind of boss should have been completely killed from Destiny 2. Or at the very least, this kind of boss needs to be a rare archetype.

molnizzle

See like these, these are examples of solid thought out posts.

Here's another one:

There's a valid argument that at a glance the game is roughly the same as the original. In a world where people expect considerable graphical improvements or slight improvements coupled with gameplay overhauls Destiny 2 isn't impressive to some people. Destiny 2 is launching on hardware D1 launched on and the gameplay is pretty much the same so it's easy for me to see that. At a glance a casual fan will easily mistake D2 gameplay footage as a D1 expansion.

While I like the new planets, other additions and changes Bungie's making I can't but feel a little disappointed. If they're going to be ballsy enough to call it Destiny 2 there should've been more to it than the game simply being more of the original. Yes the game looks slightly better than the original but it doesn't stand out that much in YouTube video on my PC monitor. (Maybe it will at home running in real time on my own TV? Can't tell yet.) And virtually all of the gameplay shown isn't far from the original and it's expansions. Yes, when you boil it down to a list of bullet points the changes and new stuff amount to more than the previous expansions combined but that just means this is could be considered a huge expansion.

Quite frankly, I was expecting big changes. Stuff you would expect in a big sequel like changes to playspace structure (such as jumping from confined zones to an open world map), removing Strikes and replacing them with bigger and better adventures, losing the spam-tier bosses that dominate Strikes, improvement of vehicular gameplay, reinvention of the subclasses, new elemental categories beyond the original 3, etc. That's what I expected when they announced Destiny 2. Now I don't hate what they've shown so far. I can appreciate the QoL improvements, new enemies, and weapon types. I just hope that they have more for us.

And I wouldn't give too much shit to people complaining about architecture. There's all kinds of human architecture today in real life but Destiny 2 seems to carry over the same Vex, Hive and Cabal-style structures from the original. It's a little boring and doesn't help the game stand out. Along with their habit of recycling content during D1's life, the returning architecture styles are probably another reason why they keep emphasizing that these are new planets and zones.

Interesting to see people so mad about this apparently ?

I wasn't expecting much because I'm not a huge fan of the original to begin with. All I wanted was 3 player Halo and instead I got some mish mash of diablo and PSO with halo gunplay. Just wasn't my thing.

This looks like a much more solid overall package while not changing THAT much of the core components of the game. Just MORE. Kind of like what happened with Diablo 2 versus Diablo 1 or Borderlands 2 to Borderlands 1.

I mean I get the point you're trying to make, but if you think Diablo 2 is "just more" of Diablo 1, then you've never played Diablo 1 or 2. They might as well be completely different genres.

ElRenoRaven

Any word if Mars, the Moon and Venus will be in D2?

They have not said. People seem divided on if we should ever see them back. I'm in the camp that I wouldn't mind them included as extras in either some of the expansions or as an expansion of their own or hell even for free over time.

Some though are in the camp that if they see them brought back as anything but free then Bungie are the devil.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Ehh, your post kinda came across as "Okay, Mr Know It All. Go ahead and tell us how your perfect Destiny boss would be if this is so bad."

I really think as far as gameplay goes, the biggest thing Destiny 2 needed to remove is bullet sponge bosses. They are just really bland design. Headshotting Fallen Vandals and Captains feel great because of how mobile they are. The slow plodding bosses like in that video do a disservice to Destiny's gunplay. It seems like you agree with that though. It seems like you take it as "well, maybe this was just them showing a bad example." But I'm saying that kind of boss should have been completely killed from Destiny 2. Or at the very least, this kind of boss needs to be a rare archetype.
you're thinking something like the psion flayer strike bosses but with actual mechanics besides colored shields.

There's a difference in saying they are similar and people complaining about how this is "The exact same thing" Its not. Its taking what made the first successful, iterating and improving on it, and just adding lots more of it.

That's what the majority of the fanbase wants, as has been proven through sales, and expansion adoption rates, and thus Bungie delivered on that.

Could things be better? Of course they always can, but frankly to the people who are always complaining about how Destiny isn't what they want it to be, maybe its time to pack up and move on. Its clear what this franchise is at this point, and if that isn't what you are into, well that's what it is.

Here's another one:

And as I noted, its clear what Destiny is by now. If you want a massively different experience there are plenty of other franchises out there for you to move on to.

No one is forcing you to play Destiny or spend your free time arguing with people online about how you wish it was something it isn't.

Jblanks

We know the EDZ (European Dead Zone) is roughly twice as large as the biggest zone in D1. Which I think is vanilla Cosmodrome.
That doesn't seem that big tbh. All the zones were corridor-y and you can zip around in the zone in a few minutes, like a big circle. I thought one zone was bigger than all vanilla destiny 1 zones put together.

Two Words

you're thinking something like the psion flayer strike bosses but with actual mechanics besides colored shields.

They were definitely at least different. It was dumb how they didn't make 3 of Coins work on that strike. I always skipped it because of that. But at least that strike boss was a good bit different than all of the others. They should do more squad bosses like that. The Bond Brothers is a good example, but you fight them both when they're both nearly dead.

There's a difference in saying they are similar and people complaining about how this is "The exact same thing" Its not. Its taking what made the first successful, iterating and improving on it, and just adding lots more of it.

That's what the majority of the fanbase wants, as has been proven through sales, and expansion adoption rates, and thus Bungie delivered on that.

Could things be better? Of course they always can, but frankly to the people who are always complaining about how Destiny isn't what they want it to be, maybe its time to pack up and move on. Its clear what this franchise is at this point, and if that isn't what you are into, well that's what it is.

I'd argue that the gameplay video I linked you feels 100% like a Destiny 1 strike boss in a very bad way and all you had in response was "Oh wow, I'm shocked that a Destiny strike feels like a Destiny strike."

And I don't get why you're pushing for Destiny to stay as it is as if it shouldn't grow like any other franchise. Nobody is asking for Destiny to no longer be Destiny.

jviggy43

Strikes are arguably the meat of PvE, since that's what you're playing most of the time if you're not raiding. They shouldn't be downplayed in importance and used as an excuse for lazy bosses.

You could argue it, sure. The meat is the Heroic versions of Strikes, Public Events, and, yes... the Raids. They're not downplayed in performance but a regular difficulty level Strike (which is, as far as I've seen, what they played) is not and should not every be looked at as an accurate measurement of "The best they have!?"

Strikes are setup the same way Dungeons are in MMOs. Why would you expect this to be different than you would for an MMO difficulty progression?

What does this even mean, really? Why is it okay that the best stuff might be tucked away into the final 10% of the experience? I still can't reconcile how the Bungie that created the Scarab boss and fun battle scenarios from the best Halo encounters is making bosses like the one in this strike. It's In The Raid™ is not a good argument.

Because Raids are the literally the culmination of PvE. That's why. The Scarab boss and "fun battle scenarios" I'm sure were quite fun. This isn't Halo and it's silly as hell to, 4 years later, STILL be measuring Destiny games 1:1 with your rose-tinted-glases spoiled version of Halo.

Destiny is not Halo. It's not your bog standard FPS. It's heavily influenced by MMO standards and mechanics. It is not reasonable, at all, to still be waving your nostalgia boner at Bungie and telling them to meet an fantasized standard that you've pedestaled in your memory.

Because this fight (which, btw is a boss standing in the middle of the level walking around and shooting at whoever aggros it) plain and simply would be considered garbage by todays standard, no matter how you slice it. And it doesn't touch the complexity and coordination in something like this which, while Hard Mode, still isn't the most difficult version of doing this fight.

squidyj

I mean, people are pointing out the (very clear) differences and improvements, and you're basically just going "nuh uh". Calm down
What people keep pointing out is "check out all these new zones and strikes and stuff" it's just more of the same content.

more of the same stuff that already exists isnt the same as something new and doesnt really serve to justify the positioning as a sequel. There is practically nothing new.
I guess this will satisfy people who want the exact same destiny you already had but more of it.

If I had to guess... The Osiris DLC would give us Mercury or Venus content. The Warmind DLC will give us Mars content.

The Live team might port over older areas with a newer twist

Sounds on the money with Mars. I remember reading a Kotaku article about a year ago that said that Taken King was meant to give us a Mars patrol area but that it was scrapped and was going to be used for Destiny 2. Likely will see that as part of DLC 2.

I doubt we will see Old Russia/Moon/Venus again in D2 except for perhaps one off missions (possibly in strike).

How does a Halo 3 Scarab look like garbage by today's standard? You could destroy parts of it to make it more vulnerable and board it by foot when it fell, by jumping onto it from above, or by driving onto it with a vehicle. Mongooses, Warthogs, Wraiths, Hornets - hell I even got a Scorpion on there. Halo 3's Scarab was the epitome of sandbox encounters and even though it's not technically a "boss", it was far more interactive than anything Bungie has done since. With today's tech, who knows how much more mobile and aggressive they could make it? They tried to reinvent it with the Devil Walker and threw away the interactivity.

Destiny's bosses - every one of them - is missing interactivity. Mechanics are cool, adds are cute, but at what point do bosses stop being mechanics and adds and start being majestic set pieces?

squidyj

You could argue it, sure. The meat is the Heroic versions of Strikes, Public Events, and, yes... the Raids. They're not downplayed in performance but a regular difficulty level Strike (which is, as far as I've seen, what they played) is not and should not every be looked at as an accurate measurement of "The best they have!?"

Strikes are setup the same way Dungeons are in MMOs. Why would you expect this to be different than you would for an MMO difficulty progression?

Because Raids are the literally the culmination of PvE. That's why. The Scarab boss and "fun battle scenarios" I'm sure were quite fun. This isn't Halo and it's silly as hell to, 4 years later, STILL be measuring Destiny games 1:1 with your rose-tinted-glases spoiled version of Halo.

Destiny is not Halo. It's not your bog standard FPS. It's heavily influenced by MMO standards and mechanics. It is not reasonable, at all, to still be waving your nostalgia boner at Bungie and telling them to meet an fantasized standard that you've pedestaled in your memory.

Because this fight (which, btw is a boss standing in the middle of the level walking around and shooting at whoever aggros it) plain and simply would be considered garbage by todays standard, no matter how you slice it. And it doesn't touch the complexity and coordination in something like this which, while Hard Mode, still isn't the most difficult version of doing this fight.

None of this is an excuse for strike bosses being poorly designed garbage fights. Dungeon bosses in games like WoW offer interesting fights and mechanics and there's no reason Destiny can't have that. Should raids still be the most involved and interesting encounters? sure, but that doesnt mean strikes have to be bad.

What people keep pointing out is "check out all these new zones and strikes and stuff" it's just more of the same content.

more of the same stuff that already exists isnt the same as something new and doesnt really serve to justify the positioning as a sequel. There is practically nothing new.
I guess this will satisfy people who want the exact same destiny you already had but more of it.

.... Any sequel to any game is more of the same stuff by those standards. Every sports game. Every FPS. Every RPG. Every Hack and Slash action game. Doubly so for sequels.

How does a Halo 3 Scarab look like garbage by today's standard? You could destroy parts of it to make it more vulnerable and board it by foot when it fell, by jumping onto it from above, or by driving onto it with a vehicle. Mongooses, Warthogs, Wraiths, Hornets - hell I even got a Scorpion on there. Halo 3's Scarab was the epitome of sandbox encounters and even though it's not technically a "boss", it was far more interactive than anything Bungie has done since. With today's tech, who knows how much more mobile and aggressive they could make it?

Destiny's bosses - every one of them - is missing interactivity. Mechanics are cool, adds are cute, but at what point do bosses stop being mechanics and adds and start being majestic set pieces? Because like I said in the my previous post, the Thunderjaw and Stormbird in Horizon felt like set pieces.

If you think the Raid fights are missing interactivity, I don't know what to tell you. Every raid fight has interactivity. They just don't involved oversized bosses you actually climb on. The spider tanks in Destiny, which aren't even bosses, already have parts that you blow off to access a weak point to damage.

None of this is an excuse for strike bosses being poorly designed garbage fights. Dungeon bosses in games like WoW offer interesting fights and mechanics and there's no reason Destiny can't have that. Should raids still be the most involved and interesting encounters? sure, but that doesnt mean strikes have to be bad.

Regular dungeon bosses in WoW really don't have amazingly interesting fights. At least, not anymore so than what's shown in Destiny. Raids bosses do. However much of the "interesting" mechanics in WoW and other MMO's revolve around different classes having different skills sets, as in Tanking and Healing. People already complain about health bars and phases in Destiny making the bosses feel "spongy." Do you realize how much more exacerbating that would feel to those players if they had to literally stand in one spot and absorb damage while facing the Boss away from the group, or sitting there doing nothing but healing all the players actually attacking stuff? It's an FPS, so they have to find other ways around this stuff. Which Bungie has. Like this.

How does a Halo 3 Scarab look like garbage by today's standard? You could destroy parts of it to make it more vulnerable and board it by foot when it fell, by jumping onto it from above, or by driving onto it with a vehicle. Mongooses, Warthogs, Wraiths, Hornets - hell I even got a Scorpion on there. Halo 3's Scarab was the epitome of sandbox encounters and even though it's not technically a "boss", it was far more interactive than anything Bungie has done since. With today's tech, who knows how much more mobile and aggressive they could make it?

Destiny's bosses - every one of them - is missing interactivity. Mechanics are cool, adds are cute, but at what point do bosses stop being mechanics and adds and start being majestic set pieces? Because like I said in the my previous post, the Thunderjaw and Stormbird in Horizon felt like set pieces.

Everything you are referring to, coincidently is single player games. Horizon and single player Halo.

This is a 100% fully online focused game, that allows you to solo if you want to. The Raid and Strike Bosses are supposed to feel mechanics based because that's the entire point of an online game. They aren't supposed to feel like "majestic set pieces". They are supposed to be something that forces team work and co-operation.

jviggy43

The mechanics for raid bosses show how amazing these encounters can be too. They don't necessarily need to be that complex but just a little bit of nuance to how you fight them would go a long way to making those encounters so much more engaging.

Everything you are referring to, coincidently is single player games. Horizon and single player Halo.

This is a 100% fully online focused game, that allows you to solo if you want to. The Raid and Strike Bosses are supposed to feel mechanics based because that's the entire point of an online game. They aren't supposed to feel like "majestic set pieces". They are supposed to be something that forces team work and co-operation.
The only reason strike bosses require teamwork is because of how large of a health pool they have. Otherwise, theyre all pretty much capable of being beaten solo

And apparently the only way to force teamwork and cooperation is for a boss to stand still and put up a shield while adds spawn. Because that's really all Destiny has done.

The mechanics for raid bosses show how amazing these encounters can be too. They don't necessarily need to be that complex but just a little bit of nuance to how you fight them would go a long way to making those encounters so much more engaging.

I don't really care for Destiny's Raid mechanics, which I'm sure is an unpopular opinion among the Destiny hardcore. I haven't played the last one, but Crota, King's Fall and the challenge modes released recently focus too much on executing a couple strategies flawlessly which devolved into spamming Titan bubbles and whatever weapon did the most damage while popping synth in between wipes. When I think of a "boss battle" the idea of chipping away at nonsensical mechanics for hours has always sounded like wasted potential. And at least with those raids, none of the boss arenas were even dynamic, so you spend hours looking at the same goddamn scenery. I enjoyed the Raids because I played with fun people, not because the Raids were any fun.

The encounters I listed may be "single player encounters", but at least there are multiple ways to tackle them. Where's the rulebook that says that wont translate to cooperative Raids?

Siege.exe

What, do you literally not want there to be patrol zones and strikes or something? Having the same type of something does not make it literally the same no matter how you want to spin it. You're acting like they're reskinning strikes like they did in RoI

Lom1lo

So I need a breakdown of the hunters new poledancer subclass, but everything I see is gunslinger. Is this class locked at the event ?

And apparently the only way to force teamwork and cooperation is for a boss to stand still and put up a shield while adds spawn. Because that's really all Destiny has done.

Literally none of the Raid bosses do what you are describing. Or at least not just that

Strike bosses are purposefully simplistic as you are often grouping with total randos and they need to make it easy enough for most groups to complete. Higher level strikes groups still have trouble beating, because frankly not everyone is good at this game. They can't make every Strike insanely difficult. Its meant to be simple mechanics groups can run through in 15 minutes or less and just kill shit.

Again, the majority of people that complain about Destiny are "Why don't you change your game to make this how I want it". Bungie has access to literally 30 million players and they know what people are spending the most and least time doing and what the community wants. That isn't to say there isn't room for improvement. That doesn't mean they can't make better bosses, or better zones, or whatever.

But when are people going to just realize what Destiny is and either move on from it or accept it. Destiny isn't going to just radically change into something gigantically different when they have an enormous community RIGHT NOW they need to please. They don't really need to convince people that are on the fence / not interested

Two Words

He's saying that the bad Destiny strike bosses feel like "majestic set pieces".

El-Suave

If the changes to the matchmaking / guided games work, that should be a pretty welcome modification of the core of the game.
Other than that this feels like a beefed up Taken King style shake up. It should be enough to please both old and new fans.
An area that I was hoping to see improved is the space ship part of the game, from what we know it seems even less emphasized now. I never expected full on space combat because that would be unrealistic, but I didn't expect them to basically remove it. Still hoping for news on that front.

Jesus dude. This is a fucking sequel, this isn't s new IP or a new genre. It is Destiny 2. Destiny 2. 2. 2. A sequel. Of course it's going to play just like the first.

Nothing fucking new? How about 4 new worlds, with hopefully a way better campaign and story telling. All new PvP modes and maps. New sub classes, clans, matchmaking. "Adventures", lost sectors. Side quests.

Practically nothing new? Gtfo troll.

cripterion

Have they said if you can pilot the UI using the ps4 trackpad? I always found UI/inventory awful, it will feel great with a mouse but navigating this with a gamepad... ugh.
I'm watching footage of the youtubers and I honestly cannot spot any difference with Destiny 1. I haven't done any raids and didn't do the content in the last expansion so if you told me it was footage from there I could believe it.

Why it's disappointing to me? Well talks of a new engine, big budget behind and all. I'm hearing the same sounds, seeing the same UI, same animations, same enemies.

Only good news so far is that it's on pc and that will aleviate the load times, FOV, fps and controls problems I had with the first one. I'm glad they supported the pc this time but seeing how the sequel looks and plays, if they really wanted to hit it out the park they should have done Destiny 1 & 2 for pc bundled together. Content wise would have been awesome proposition for pc players.

Two Words

Jesus dude. This is a fucking sequel, this isn't s new IP or a new genre. It is Destiny 2. Destiny 2. 2. 2. A sequel. Of course it's going to play just like the first.

Nothing fucking new? How about 4 new worlds, with hopefully a way better campaign and story telling. All new PvP modes and maps. New sub classes, clans, matchmaking. "Adventures", lost sectors. Side quests.

Practically nothing new? Gtfo troll.

Wy should Destiny 2 play exactly like Destiny 1? Isn't identical gameplay with new content more akin to an expansion? I'd be disappointed if Civilization 6 was just Civilization 5 with 20 new Civs, for example.

He's saying that the bad Destiny strike bosses feel like "majestic set pieces".

No he isn't, he's saying he wants the bosses to feel more like epic set pieces and not just mechanics.

Which I entirely get that thought process, but that's much easier to do in a single player experience. Destiny is meant for online social connectivity and its gameplay is entirely designed around forcing people to work together. Not necessarily how great of a set piece it is.

Literally none of the Raid bosses do what you are describing. Or at least not just that

Strike bosses are purposefully simplistic as you are often grouping with total randos and they need to make it easy enough for most groups to complete. Higher level strikes groups still have trouble beating, because frankly not everyone is good at this game. They can't make every Strike insanely difficult. Its meant to be simple mechanics groups can run through in 15 minutes or less and just kill shit.

Again, the majority of people that complain about Destiny are "Why don't you change your game to make this how I want it". Bungie has access to literally 30 million players and they know what people are spending the most and least time doing and what the community wants. That isn't to say there isn't room for improvement. That doesn't mean they can't make better bosses, or better zones, or whatever.

But when are people going to just realize what Destiny is and either move on from it or accept it. Destiny isn't going to just radically change into something gigantically different when they have an enormous community RIGHT NOW they need to please. They don't really need to convince people that are on the fence / not interested

I'm not asking Destiny to not be Destiny. In fact, I was worried it would be the opposite earlier.

But when you look at one of the most complained elements of the PvE content - repetitive bullet sponge bosses - and then see a boss that is more or less the same thing aside from some dynamic geometry, it shouldn't be surprising that people are concerned. I honestly like the strike up until the boss because at that point you're stuck in a circle with chest high cover shooting a guy who is spamming you with the same gun the whole time while adds spawn. That describes virtually every strike in Destiny 1. Unless The Inverted Spire footage i've seen is literally from Destiny 1, I would be worried that the rest of the Strikes may be too accessible to the point of being brainless - not just for the average joe to complete, but also for Bungie to design.

Wy should Destiny 2 play exactly like Destiny 1? Isn't identical gameplay with new content more akin to an expansion? I'd be disappointed if Civilization 6 was just Civilization 5 with 20 new Civs, for example.

Every gears of war plays the same, every uncharted plays the same, every dark souls plays the same, every 2k plays the same, every grand theft auto plays the same.

That's how sequels work. People don't want a game they love to change drastically. They want more content, new worlds, new stories.

Because I played that strike on my ps3.

Just saying, could be good for people like my bro who plays on ps3. Destiny 2 looks feasible on last gen right now.

PS3 & 360 were constantly on the edge of the memory cap of those systems. They missed Rise of Iron specifically because there was no work around for it. Everything from the size of playspaces, the amount of enemies they could spawn per encounter, the complexity of encounters, the ability to enable activities without having to go back into orbit, town/outpopsts in explorable playspaces with quest givers, are all improvements that are brought on by the engine shredding off last-gen. This is the first thing for Destiny they'll have shipped where it was built from the ground up knowing PS3/360 wouldn't be supported.

Two Words

Why the fuck shouldn't it????

Again, this is a sequel. You guys expecting them to come up with something totally different than the first are bonkers.

There's a lot of room between "exactly the same" and "totally different", you know.

No he isn't, he's saying he wants the bosses to feel more like epic set pieces and not just mechanics.

Which I entirely get that thought process, but that's much easier to do in a single player experience. Destiny is meant for online social connectivity and its gameplay is entirely designed around forcing people to work together. Not necessarily how great of a set piece it is.

Yeah, I misread that part. If you want argue that its hard to do, then that can be an argument. But a lot of people here are arguing as if it is SUPPOSED to be this way. As if its the pinnacle of what Destiny's gameplay should ever be.

LifEndz

The emphasis on gun skill for pvp sounds really cool. Still hoping they introduce a mode that allows for 6v6 down the road. The clan stuff is interesting, but I really want to know the cap on clan members. Going to have to feverishly check gaf for clan signup threads.

I'm not asking Destiny to not be Destiny. In fact, I was worried it would be the opposite earlier.

But when you look at one of the most complained elements of the PvE content - repetitive bullet sponge bosses - and then see a boss that is more or less the same thing aside from some dynamic geometry, it shouldn't be surprising that people are concerned. I honestly like the strike up until the boss because at that point you're stuck in a circle with chest high cover shooting a guy who is spamming you with the same gun the whole time. Unless the footage i've seen is literally from Destiny 1, I would be worried that the rest of the Strikes may be too accessible to the point of being brainless, not just for the average joe to complete, but also for Bungie to design.

I get that and I don't think Bungie is above reproach or anything.

I do agree I want to see some better boss designs. I still want new playable races and all sorts of stuff. I don't have any issue at all with people having some complaints.

The things that I'm just getting sick of seeing are the tons of posts talking about everything being the exact same or lists of changes they want that basically mean making Destiny 2 something massively different than Destiny 1.

Destiny 2 feels like a sequel. However it feels like a very safe sequel and if people don't feel like Bungie is being innovative enough, I get that and I don't think that's a wrong or bad opinion to have.

Two Words

Every gears of war plays the same, every uncharted plays the same, every dark souls plays the same, every 2k plays the same, every grand theft auto plays the same.

That's how sequels work. People don't want a game they love to change drastically. They want more content, new worlds, new stories.

Is this a joke post? Uncharted 2 was a massive leap from Uncharted 1. Dark Souls games have made controversial changes, for example with Dark Souls 2. Sports games obviously cannot change the rules of the games, but have undergone massive changes over time. Just don't buy into the hype of buying it every year. GTA is your most odd suggestion though. Please look at GTA 1 and 2 and tell me how much they are like GTA5. GTA has maintained its story mission structure from GTA3, but the gameplay has massively changed over its sequels. It sounds like you think if a game is still within its same genre, then it plays exactly the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom