• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Alpha Gameplay Leaks [Update: Luke from Bungie comments, read post 1557]

Karl Hawk

Banned
I wonder if they over designed it and lost something along the way. When you focus so much on making it perfect and believe it so much, you can lose sight of the important things. It would be surprising if Bungie miss the fun aspect.

God, I can't wait till E3 or the beta comes out so people make any proper judgments about the game.

So far, it's assumptions over footage which is boring for some people. Granted, the official footage wasn't any better either.

Do threads like this make people at Bungie nervous (is Frankie still posting?) or are they living in a bubble like the reveal video from last year suggested, in awe with their own creative genius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwOUi4JDC4o
If you're going to make fun of the people at Bungie meanly and unnecessarily, you should at least know that Frankie doesn't work at Bungie.

You know. Just so you can be accurate in your cruel mockery.

I seriously don't get it, but for whatever reason Destiny is just not hitting the spot right now for the majority here.

So gaf, what will it take at E3 to turn this around for you?

What do you want to see this coming week?

I'd like even the slightest look at a mission or two that result in a crescendo moment that provids the kind of interplay and rush that made Halo's larger scale encounters interesting. These little firefights against boring enemies aren't doing it for me.

I know I say this on GAF a lot, but I will truly never understand the immersion argument. Immersion is overrated. If I'm going to do some cool shit, kill my immersion just so I can see my character do something cool. I'm down with that.

That said, no game has really ever given me immersion anyway, so there's nothing to kill.

That said, Halo went into third person for certain actions (like assassinations) and no one seemed to care (in fact, it was awesome). Why is this any different? It's in fact using the same concept.

So your rebuttal is essentially, "not interested in immersion, therefore......"

I'm sorry, but you and I have very different approaches to view gaming. If immersion is that overrated then what's the point of developers focus on world building? I never really liked the 3rd person transition in Halo so at least I'm consistent with my criticism.

Speaking of "cool shit", you don't really need to go 3rd person to appreciate it. As someone who's played Deus Ex And Thief, the agency made me feel like I've accomplished based on the way how I played. You may not see it that way, but by the very least I wasn't taken out of the experience, something I wished more modern games could fulfil. But to each their own.

Future

With all the bitching, what exactly were people expecting to see in a loot, customization, skill tree heavy Bungie shooter?

For people bitching about AI, play any Halo on normal mode and marvel at how it looks similar to this. Can't judge shit based on these vids as enemies get fucked up fast before they can really do anything

For people bitching about it being slow, isn't the footage from an exploration mode? That mode probably resembles WoW and Borderlands because that's what it is: walk around, do quests and get loot. No proof that this is representative of all coop content

Gunplay is definitely not halo style roam the field for your next weapon, but it's a loot game. The loot you get is for keeps and not temporary moment to moment strategy changers like before. Again for a loot game what would you expect?

Only thing legit bad is the voice acting to me. After Cortana, this shit is real disappointing.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Game still isn't doing it for me but I will pre-order and get in on the beta for PS4 and XB1 and judge it from that. Some games don't demo well.

BokehKing

Banned
Ahaha no it doesnt. Borderlands stays dull no matter where you are in the game. Thats why this looks terrible.

You should really state that is your opinion and not a fact, people might believe you.

Borderlands 2 had amazing writing, memorable characters, memorable moments, great DLC (especially tiny Tina dragon quest/rpg)

Not to mention, a great community of people to play with. (hence why I can say what I say because I share my opinion with that great community of like minded people)

If they allowed Dinklage to be more sarcastic that would be great (or maybe he is later on)
I think Cortana is over-rated so what do I know *shrug*

One more thing, it's not Halo.. Stop comparing it to Halo, last Halo I played was trying to be like COD.

Try to have some faith in the company that brought you classics.

You don't understand man. When we get 6 minutes of leaked alpha footage of a game that is four months from release, it has to be the best 6 minutes of the game.
You're right, but wouldn't that mean that it'd be more accurate to say the people who leaked the footage suck for not showing off the the best parts of the game in 6 minutes, instead of saying the game sucks because nothing amazing was shown in 6 minutes?

jem0208

And Activision's probably oblivious enough to still think that Borderlands with a Halo skin can still sell copies in the tens of millions.

That's because it probably will.

Even if the gameplay looks kinda dull the marketing hype behind this game is going to be huge.

Just the line "From the creators of Halo and the publisher that brought you Call of Duty" is going to bring in a tonne of people.

Dire

That's the tail end of the contract -- you're forgetting bonuses and milestones that don't have to be repaid.

I don't think being able to pay your employees during development is something I'd really consider a benefit.

The actual benefits are a joke. $2.5million for a gamesranking rating > 90 (split that among 500 employees after the suits take their absurdly large cut) or perhaps you're talking about the 3.33% bonus if Activision has raw profits at least $750,000,0000 after subtracting every single one of their expenses. Oh the generosity! Ironically the realistic chances of that even having to be paid out are going to be somewhere between zero and 0.

Please do let me know if I missed something substantial. I honestly can't believe how poorly a studio with the sort of clout as Bungie gets treated in the console industry. After all is said and done Activision seems likely to be walking away with 90%+ of the gross for this game. Gross.. how appropriate a term.

I don't think being able to pay your employees during development is something I'd really consider a benefit.

The actual benefits are a joke. $2.5million for a gamesranking rating > 90 (split that among 500 employees after the suits take their absurdly large cut) or perhaps you're talking about the 3.33% bonus if Activision has raw profits at least $750,000,0000 after subtracting every single one of their expenses. Oh the generosity! Ironically the realistic chances of that even having to be paid out are going to be somewhere between zero and 0.

Please do let me know if I missed something substantial. I honestly can't believe how poorly a studio with the sort of clout as Bungie gets treated in the console industry. After all is said and done Activision seems likely to be walking away with 90%+ of the gross for this game. Gross.. how appropriate a term.

You actually do get paid a percentage of royalties on each unit, this percentage just increases once Activision gets theirs (which is fair enough). Bonuses are also paid out during milestones, etc. that are not operating expenses (milestone payments to afford operating expenses and pay staff =/= milestone bonus). There's a few other ways Bungie make some money off the game too.

Keep in mind this is a long-term contract so Bungie doesn't need to make a tremendous profit early on, they just need to be self-sustaining and put money away. I'm sure Bungie has super smart business people helping to make these decisions and they wouldn't take on a contract like this if they weren't getting a good deal that's equal or better than the agreement they had with Microsoft. Guaranteed they would've had other options open to them, not like they needed to take this Activision deal.

mindsale

I'm very interested in this game, but the gameplay I've seen makes all enemies look like bullet sponges (even moreso than Borderlands, another gear-tied shooter). Watching the health bars decrease so slowly makes it seem like a game of Laser Tag. And as lifeless as the environments are supposed to be for desert-like terrain, they sure feel it. Bungie couldn't've put a little dust devil in the distance or wind spraying sand around? Is this the curse of cross-gen development?

Looks like another shooter which is fine because I love shooters but the world will have to be interesting as hell and dynamic for me to pick this up day 1. I'm expecting a much more fleshed out demo at E3.

Kyoufu

Well I for one think this looks stellar. As long as high level content is engaging then I see my friends and I putting a lot of hours into it.

Game looks like a good time killer, and that's all I ask of a game. I'm sure there will be some bungie magic to make everyone happy. Just hold your horses, the beta is stupid easy to get into. Wait for that, if it's bad..then, you should unleash all the fucks. I can't wait to see more. Gives me the hope I had when Borderlands first showed, pre cel-shade. A "realistic" sci-fi loot whore shooter. The rest is gravy baby.

(I'm giving the AI the benefit of the doubt for now, still early, or those were garbage trash mobs.) Will buy, add me on PSN The_Reckoning.

Trickster

Game looks like a good time killer, and that's all I ask of a game. I'm sure there will be some bungie magic to make everyone happy. Just hold your horses, the beta is stupid easy to get into. Wait for that, if it's bad..then, you should unleash all the fucks. I can't wait to see more. Gives me the hope I had when Borderlands first showed, pre cel-shade. A "realistic" sci-fi loot whore shooter. The rest is gravy baby.

(I'm giving the AI the benefit of the doubt for now, still early, or those were garbage trash mobs.) Will buy, add me on PSN The_Reckoning.

They're low tier mobs in a low level zone in a closed alpha. Medium tier enemies in the videos display good AI if you look closely.

They're low tier mobs in a low level zone in a closed alpha. Medium tier enemies in the videos display good AI if you look closely.

Yeah, I saw hints of that in the leaked alpha videos #4, and #5, so I'm not too worried. Plus, we've all seen that bungie can create smart AI, so it isn't a major concern of mine. Just pointing it out there, because what we have seen isn't the best, and people seem to be stuck on that.

edit: garbage trash mobs = low tier mobs in a low level zone.

Trickster

Yeah, I saw hints of that in the leaked alpha videos #4, and #5, so I'm not too worried. Plus, we've all seen that bungie can create smart AI, so it isn't a major concern of mine. Just pointing it out there, because what we have seen isn't the best, and people seem to be stuck on that.

edit: garbage trash mobs = low tier mobs in a low level zone.

I was just confirming it in case you weren't sure ;)

AHA-Lambda

I seriously don't get it, but for whatever reason Destiny is just not hitting the spot right now for the majority here.

So gaf, what will it take at E3 to turn this around for you?

What do you want to see this coming week?

Bungie hyped this thing up to the heavens as being some sort of watershed moment almost, show us why that is the case.

Even the leaked footage can't show us the inter connectivity of the shared world on offer here. I need that, show me players interacting with each other on mass outside of missions and show us a scale of this galaxy we get to explore. Show me why this is a "shared world" shooter, MMO, whatever they're calling it now, and not just "big" Borderlands.

If all they do is show off another bloody raid, then I'm not convinced that they've accomplished this vision of theirs.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
You don't understand man. When we get 6 minutes of leaked alpha footage of a game that is four months from release, it has to be the best 6 minutes of the game.
Right but if you operate on the assumption that any random six minute segment of the game is representative of it, and that six minute segment is boring af, what else are people supposed to conclude?

Nalsh

Right but if you operate on the assumption that any random six minute segment of the game is representative of it, and that six minute segment is boring af, what else are people supposed to conclude?

They should know not to conclude anything, because it's just a random six-minute chunk.

Lasty95

Bungie hyped this thing up to the heavens as being some sort of watershed moment almost, show us why that is the case.

Even the leaked footage can't show us the inter connectivity of the shared world on offer here. I need that, show me players interacting with each other on mass outside of missions and show us a scale of this galaxy we get to explore. Show me why this is a "shared world" shooter, MMO, whatever they're calling it now, and not just "big" Borderlands.

If all they do is show off another bloody raid, then I'm not convinced that they've accomplished this vision of theirs.

They're showing the end of the previous strike - a boss encounter, and then I'd imagine a (hopefully pretty extensive) highlight reel. Then of course there'll be loads of PvP footage from E3 also.

Maybe they realised it's difficult to show, hence the beta was part of the plan all along. Maybe you just need to play Destiny to appreciate what they're doing. Or, maybe as you say, they just haven't pulled it off.

I don't think we'll be seeing any 'interacting on mass' though. They've talked about wanting player interactions to be rare enough that it always seems special, without human players constantly buzzing around you. I'm totally fine with that.

At most, I'd expect larger public events to have 2 or maybe 3 fireteams involved (so a max of nine). That sounds perfectly reasonable to me. This isn't PS2.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
Design looks great. Graphics look very good except for the lack of particles when shooting (very halo-like). Gameplay (including enemy AI) looks decidedly unimaginative. Music and voicework are good.

Halo fans ought to like it.

When I first heard of Destiny, I thought it would be much more.. open world, in the sense that it was closer to an MMO (without necessarily being so massive), where you could actually travel to other planets (in real time, on a server with other players all around the solar system).

Not sure why I thought that originally, but to be fair, I feel like Bungie never properly explained the game. What I'm seeing seems standard, unless there are big things hidden in some end-game levels or whatever.

THIS. So much.

What I expected from Destiny back when it was announced was a very Star Wars-y/ Mass Effect-y game where I run through planet's forests, deserts, ruins with my online bros and then board a starship and travel to another lava world for example. It sounded SO EXCITING in my mind.

What I can see nowadays in Destiny is a standard FPS title with drop-in, drop-out coop/ invasion mode. It is polished AS HELL but it is still only a "standard FPS" game.

It doesn't look (and feel?) extraordinary like it should and like I wanted it to be :(

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
They should know not to conclude anything, because it's just a random six-minute chunk.

So I guess by sheer bad luck this is the six most boring minutes of the game.

Presumably the gunplay etc. is also improved for the rest of it.

AHA-Lambda

Gotta agree.

When I first heard of Destiny, I thought it would be much more.. open world, in the sense that it was closer to an MMO (without necessarily being so massive), where you could actually travel to other planets (in real time, on a server with other players all around the solar system).

Not sure why I thought that originally, but to be fair, I feel like Bungie never properly explained the game. What I'm seeing seems standard, unless there are big things hidden in some end-game levels or whatever.

And actually, I'd just really like to see some straight up competitive MP. I thought that was an option. It'd be nice to see something like Halo/from Bungie on PS4, as most MP shooters are too big for my liking

This, you've phrased it better than I did, and I think reading through other posts others have felt similarly also, and I put that down to Bungie's poor communication of this title.

As we see more (and in a way see less) I start to wonder why this needs to be an online only title, if it is not in fact an MMO or indeed MMO like.

epmode

THIS. So much.

What I expected from Destiny back when it was announced was a very Star Wars-y/ Mass Effect-y game where I run through planet's forests, deserts, ruins with my online bros and then board a starship and travel to another lava world for example. It sounded SO EXCITING in my mind.

What I can see nowadays in Destiny is a standard FPS title with drop-in, drop-out coop/ invasion mode. It is polished AS HELL but it is still only a "standard FPS" game.

Standard FPS + always online!

BigDug13

I'm very interested in this game, but the gameplay I've seen makes all enemies look like bullet sponges (even moreso than Borderlands, another gear-tied shooter). Watching the health bars decrease so slowly makes it seem like a game of Laser Tag. And as lifeless as the environments are supposed to be for desert-like terrain, they sure feel it. Bungie couldn't've put a little dust devil in the distance or wind spraying sand around? Is this the curse of cross-gen development?

Cross-gen is to blame for games like Borderlands and Destiny having to lower the enemy count. So since they can't simply throw more enemies at a time at you, they resort to simply making each enemy harder and take longer to kill.

A forced next gen Destiny would have turned out better. This game will be hampered by last gen as far as what they could have accomplished from a horde of enemies standpoint.

Raide

So I guess by sheer bad luck this is the six most boring minutes of the game.

Presumably the gunplay etc. is also improved for the rest of it.

We have no idea how far through the game this is. It could be right at start which is always slow paced and pretty boring, even more so for open world titles. Also it is loot and classes based, so combat is bound to evolve based upon your own playstyle. Interesting to see what weird weapons Bungie come up with to interest players.

Lasty95

Cross-gen is to blame for games like Borderlands and Destiny having to lower the enemy count. So since they can't simply throw more enemies at a time at you, they resort to simply making each enemy harder and take longer to kill.

A forced next gen Destiny would have turned out better. This game will be hampered by last gen as far as what they could have accomplished from a horde of enemies standpoint.

Bungie have always done a fine job of balancing their sandboxes to get the most fun out of them. They understand better than most when less is more, and when to ratchet it up for maximum effect.

I'm pretty sure that encounters in Destiny will be entirely deliberate in pacing/scale, much as they have been in the past.

If that doesn't personally float your boat, then fair enough though.

Danny 117

Interest is fading fast in this title. I'll give Bungie until the end of E3 to change my mind. Surely they are going to show something cool at E3 that will get everyone excited, right? Lol

With all the bitching, what exactly were people expecting to see in a loot, customization, skill tree heavy Bungie shooter?

For people bitching about AI, play any Halo on normal mode and marvel at how it looks similar to this. Can't judge shit based on these vids as enemies get fucked up fast before they can really do anything

For people bitching about it being slow, isn't the footage from an exploration mode? That mode probably resembles WoW and Borderlands because that's what it is: walk around, do quests and get loot. No proof that this is representative of all coop content

Gunplay is definitely not halo style roam the field for your next weapon, but it's a loot game. The loot you get is for keeps and not temporary moment to moment strategy changers like before. Again for a loot game what would you expect?

Only thing legit bad is the voice acting to me. After Cortana, this shit is real disappointing.

Agree completely, Destiny will fill that Halo gap for me, I personally cant wait for it!

Also never played Borderlands so i give no fucks people comparing it too it.

Lasty95

Better to be wrong and pick up the game at a discount than pay full price and realize it's a borefest just like every pre-release video showed,

i-feel-like-im-taking-crazy-pills.gif

I don't know... how about good gameplay? Something that shows what your game is all about? Something that looks fun.

All these videos make people change their view about the game for the worse. It looks dull and really really boring.

Authority

Banned
Gotta agree.

And actually, I'd just really like to see some straight up competitive MP. I thought that was an option. It'd be nice to see something like Halo/from Bungie on PS4, as most MP shooters are too big for my liking

It is extremely hard not to agree with the above poster. Pre-footage material and montage were almost misleading because most if not all made you think or believe that you would be dropped in this open-world-space environment where you would be able to go on an adventure as a free roamer, explore the secrets of the universe, scout for Intel and materials in exotic places; from exotic forests to surreal deserts. And they were misleading because Bungie was golden in silence about what exactly is Destiny and most people no matter what was thrown to them, could not understand what the fuck Destiny is all about.

Honestly, I expected a survival FPS in a Massive Universe where my main role would be a hunter of resources and gatherings and a collector of skulls from fearsome dead enemies and players alike. I expected Turok in Space in an MMO environment. I truly expected a sandbox. It is hard to describe the overwhelming feeling when you enter a sandbox game and you don't know what the fuck is going on and you must find your way through but all I am getting personally is Borderlines vibe.

I am probably wrong about it because my expectations seem delusional at best.

Lasty95

It is extremely hard not to agree with the above poster. Pre-footage material and montage were almost misleading because most if not all made you think or believe that you would be dropped in this open-world-space environment where you would be able to go on an adventure as a free roamer, explore the secrets of the universe, scout for Intel and materials in exotic places; from exotic forests to surreal deserts. And they were misleading because Bungie was golden in silence about what exactly is Destiny and most people no matter what was thrown to them, could not understand what the fuck Destiny is all about.

Honestly, I expected a survival FPS in a Massive Universe where my main role would be a hunter of resources and gatherings and a collector of skulls from fearsome dead enemies and players alike. I expected Turok in Space in an MMO environment. I truly expected a sandbox. It is hard to describe the overwhelming feeling when you enter a sandbox game and you don't know what the fuck is going on and you must find your way through but all I am getting personally is Borderlines vibe.

I am probably wrong about it because my expectations seem delusional at best.

I'm pretty sure that's what it is dude.

I'm pretty sure that's what it is dude.

Not from what we're seeing now, although this is limited footage. I'm not going to jump to any conclusions until after E3, my hype for the game is still high, but the leaked gameplay certainly has put a dent in it. I'll give Bungie the benefit of the doubt though, they have never let me down.

Trickster

Well at least one of you's wrong.

Well I mean, that's what the guy in the alpha videos is doing, running around in old russia, exploring old buildings and stuff. And then there's also the small fact that Bungie has stated that it's pretty much what the game is about at its core.

Top Bottom