• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Beta Withdrawal Thread: The Traveler's space magic is addictive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalamari

warlock_exotic_screenshot.jpg

Wow this really makes those bonds look awesome now.

Warlocks got dat space swagic.

Lee

I hope the final game lets us at least text chat in the tower. How else are we suppose to form groups?

Go to the list of all players in your world. Spam invitations to your fireteam. Or go to recent players. Spam invitations to your fireteam. Some people won't be down to raid, but you'll get a group pretty quickly.

Or build up a friends list as you get matched with people during the 5 or 6 strikes you'll be playing multiple times on your way to level 20.

I don't know man. The attitude that Bungie needs to help people make friends and find a group seems pretty entitled.

On that note, I really do hope we have more customization options for the full game.
Beards should still be in the future guys.

And lady beards are surprisingly not that bad...

LOL I'll skip putting a beard on Isabeau 2.0. Let the original be the only one having it bahaha!

Oh man. That was good.

On another note, those b.net comments - yeesh. Makes you realize who is out there and that the lack of proximity chat is for the best.

I too have noticed that and man some people are the worst, I remember reading some in the "Skyboxes" entry. Just plain disrespectful towards the people that worked so hard to make the game look great.

On Demand

Banned
Go to the list of all players in your world. Spam invitations to your fireteam. Or go to recent players. Spam invitations to your fireteam. Some people won't be down to raid, but you'll get a group pretty quickly.

Or build up a friends list as you get matched with people during the 5 or 6 strikes you'll be playing multiple times on your way to level 20.

I don't know man. The attitude that Bungie needs to help people make friends and find a group seems pretty entitled.

All that is unnecessary work if they would add some kind of communication between players in the tower. I mean common sense says it will be there at launch right???? What kind of online hub doesn't allow that.

That's my only problem with the game.

Bungie pls :/

Destiny DLC wishlist and/or Destiny 2 priorities

1. Facial hair. All types. From stubble to mountain man, from evil twirly mustache to Toshiro Mifune samurai
2. Hats. Helmets are cool, but I want hats. How will the guardians breathe? Space magic, i dun curr.
3. Eyewear. Glasses, goggles, monocles, all of it.
4. Hunter ponchos. Capes are cool, but let's go all the way.
5. Class specific special weapons. Titans = Minigun with dragon's breath-like flame rounds that have realistic fire properties (can create fire barriers on the map), Hunters = Compound explosive bow (think Gears of War Torque Bow), Warlock = Magic blunderbuss that shoots singularities which can be used as traps or to suck enemies in before the inevitable explosion (headshot = instant black hole suction)

Fin.

GutZ31

Destiny DLC wishlist and/or Destiny 2 priories

1. Facial hair. All types. From stubble to mountain man, from evil twirly mustache to Toshiro Mifune samurai
2. Hats. Helmets are cool, but I want hats. How will the guardians breathe? Space magic, i dun curr.
3. Eyewear. Glasses, goggles, monocles, all of it.
4. Hunter ponchos. Capes are cool, but let's go all the way.
5. Class specific special weapons. Titans = Minigun with dragon's breath-like flame rounds that have realistic fire properties (can create fire barriers on the map), Hunters = Compound explosive bow (think Gears of War Torque Bow), Warlock = Magic blunderbuss that shoots singularities which can be used as traps or to suck enemies in before the inevitable explosion (headshot = instant black hole suction)

Fin.

These terms, I am ok with them.

Looks like some sort of fusion rifle. Not too sure tough.
Edit: its something different all together since he already has a sniper on his back

Might just be one of the exotics we haven't seen yet.

Might be but isn't the sniper on his back already an exotic ( can't recall the name ) ? Edit: Nope can't find its likeliness in the DB as-well (Moar new weapons)
Do want lasers :-D maybe they reveal this at gamescom.

But this is bungie, they can troll anything. :p

You can carry TWO special weapons ?? Get out !! :p
Heh wouldn't that be something, Fusion rifle for close to mid range and sniper for long range combat.

The attitude that a highly praised developer like Bungie is too good to implement simple text chat into their "Social Hubs" (Bungie is calling them that, not me) seems pretty . . . . I don't know, I'm baffled. I am still oh so confused how text chat wasn't a planned feature as soon as they decided in having "Social Hubs" and how so many people in this thread defend Bungie for not having them.

It's not even necessarily about finding people for raids, it's just about Bungie and Activision pushing Destiny so hard as the most social shooter yet the only way to interact with others in the social hub is dance, point, wave, or spam invites.

GutZ31

The attitude that a highly praised developer like Bungie is too good to implement simple text chat into their "Social Hubs" (Bungie is calling them that, not me) seems pretty . . . . I don't know, I'm baffled. I am still oh so confused how text chat wasn't a planned feature as soon as they decided in having "Social Hubs" and how so many people in this thread defend Bungie for not having them.

It's not even necessarily about finding people for raids, it's just about Bungie and Activision pushing Destiny so hard as the most social shooter yet the only way to interact with others in the social hub is dance, point, wave, or spam invites.
I think Bungie may have thought about doing chat early on, but then scratched it thinking they would use in game chat.
As they got closer to release, they had to revise there strategy to make sure they could fit into a Teen rating.
They would have had to cripple global chat to make online interactions less likely to be troll, grief, and curse filled.

Do I and many others wish there was full support to one of these? I think it would be a resounding yes.
Do I and others think the game is broken with out these options? Probably not.

I think Bungie may have thought about doing chat early on, but then scratched it thinking they would use in game chat.
As they got closer to release, they had to revise there strategy to make sure they could fit into a Teen rating.
They would have had to cripple global chat to make online interactions less likely to be troll, grief, and curse filled.

Do I and many others wish there was full support to one of these? I think it would be a resounding yes.

A Dark souls-esque chat system would have been highly lauded.

You kidding? Online interactions do not affect ratings.

Also it definitely doesn't break the game, but it's clear Bungie and Activision are pushing this as a social game. And considering there is no way to verbally communicate except through voice (even then it is only with people in your party) it's not really any more social than any other shooter. It also makes having social hubs feel really redundant and a bit out of place. Still, the core game is still there and unaffected.

Text chat? It's not exactly common for console games. I'm not saying it's a bad idea per se, just not truly an obvious one.

I think the proximity voice chat makes more sense, but I understand why they would make that something that requires dual election. One of the motivations for people being rowdy, rude, vulgar or contemptuous is merely the existence of an audience. That being said, this is definitely the "safer" choice, and it is sacrificing the social efficacy of this game.

I'm not interested in blindly defending Bungie, but I am interested in critique that gives due credit, seeks understanding, and considers as many factors as possible. Basically the opposite of the typical video game message board.

GutZ31

You kidding? Online interactions do not affect ratings.

Also it definitely doesn't break the game, but it's clear Bungie and Activision are pushing this as a social game. And considering there is no way to verbally communicate except through voice (even then it is only with people in your party) it's not really any more social than any other shooter. It also makes having social hubs feel really redundant and a bit out of place. Still, the core game is still there and unaffected.

You have completely valid concerns.
My issue with your message is, you are in a Hype thread.
You could have at any point found these other Destiny Threads, but chose to repeatedly post the same thing over and over in the hype section instead of the correct threads.

I don't think anyone thinks your wrong, you just are in the wrong area.

Text chat? It's not exactly common for console games. I'm not saying it's a bad idea per se, just not truly an obvious one.

Ignore that this is a console game for just a second: In a game that has a Social Hub, text chat definitely very obvious. That is all I'm saying. I just don't understand the point of having a social hub if you can't be social, and texting seems better than voice since more than likely you will be in your own party chat anyways blocked off from everyone else you meet.

But I digress. I really am looking forward to this game, I don't want to harp on one point over and over again.

You have completely valid concerns.
My issue with your message is, you are in a Hype thread.
You could have at any point found these other Destiny Threads, but chose to repeatedly post the same thing over and over in the hype section instead of the correct threads.

I don't think anyone thinks your wrong, you just are in the wrong area.

So you're not allowed to post criticism in a hype thread? (I am hyped BTW) Also I'm not really viewing this as a hype thread, more of a "current Destiny thread." We definitely don't need a bunch of Destiny threads on the front page.

Sorry, sorry. Digressing now.

Ignore that this is a console game for just a second: In a game that has a Social Hub, text chat definitely very obvious. That is all I'm saying. I just don't understand the point of having a social hub if you can't be social, and texting seems better than voice since more than likely you will be in your own party chat anyways blocked off from everyone else you meet.

But I digress. I really am looking forward to this game, I don't want to harp on one point over and over again.

So you're not allowed to post criticism in a hype thread? Also I'm not really viewing this as a hype thread, more of a "current Destiny thread." We definitely don't need a bunch of Destiny threads on the front page.

Sorry, sorry. Digressing now.
It's definitely worth discussing.

While I enjoy not being enundated with slurs, I also enjoyed the easy-to-use mute system in Reach as a stopgap. I don't enjoy the fact that I can't meaningfully communicate with my matchmade strike partners in Destiny, and upon the rare chance they accepted my invite to join my fireteam the game made them disconnect and reconnect. I'm hoping that last part is fixed by release.

Heck, even a pre-baked set of player-voiced quips could be useful and neat (a la MarioKart) for communicating with people near you in the tower:

"Hello!"
"I'm venturing into the Wild!"
"Will you join my fireteam?"
"No thank you."
"Will you join us Guardian"

and so on

Altima

I need text chat. We have text chat in PS3 and PS4 and I often use it because I'm in restrict nat type and no voice chat allow.

and do not forget that PS4 also support keyboard.

I would say it's definitely a good sign that the most criticism around here lately is lack of social features and lack of beards.

The actual core game is looking really fun. Enjoyed the beta but felt a bit underwhelmed with enemy variation, map design (especially considering how mobile Guardians are), and class abilities. Though after viewing a few videos, those worries are pretty much gone. And I'm pretty hopeful that Bungie has left a lot of stuff for us to discover and experience on our own as well.

GutZ31

While I enjoy not being enundated with slurs, I also enjoyed the easy-to-use mute system in Reach as a stopgap. I don't enjoy the fact that I can't meaningfully communicate with my matchmade strike partners in Destiny, and upon the rare chance they accepted my invite to join my fireteam the game made them disconnect and reconnect. I'm hoping that last part is fixed by release.

Heck, even a pre-baked set of player-voiced quips could be useful and neat (a la MarioKart) for communicating with people near you in the tower:

"Hello!"
"I'm venturing into the Wild!"
"Will you join my fireteam?"
"No thank you."
"Will you join us Guardian"

and so on

I would be all over this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom