• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny (Bungie MMOFPS, 360/PS3) Story Details, Concept Art Leaked [Up2: More Info]

Muffdraul

It wasn't foreshadowing, it was a straight up easter egg. Destiny was already being developed at the time.

I don't get the objection to calling it foreshadowing, i.e. intentionally hinting at something that will happen later. I know it's a literary term but I think it's fair to call it Bungie "foreshadowing" their next franchise. It's become an easter egg in hindsight.

As opposed to many in here, the 'MMO' part of this is what intrigues me.

Same here. If it was just another sci-fi FPS, I really wouldn't be all that interested. Nothing is going to top Halo. Doing something new and creating a new universe to explore and be part of is what has me looking forward to seeing more.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Man the wait is killing me, I'm already imagining all these amazing things.

Akai__

5 days, am I right guys? I really hope so!

I need something, that wakes me from this coma, I'm experiencing now. Don't know what to play, cause I'm not having fun at all.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Just checked into this thread for the first time in forever. Holy amazing artwork. Consider me hyped. (Not that I wouldn't of been hyped for a Bungie game anyhow)

Kinda hope this gets delayed until next gen.

ChaosXVI

I'm getting more and more interested in the prospects of this game...I've never actually attempted to play an MMO before, but this just looks too unique and interesting to skip because "BAH I don't like the genre!" If Bungie can revolutionize the MMO genre the same way they did console FPS's way back when...Can't wait to see some gameplay.

Trey

Why are they releasing it on 360/PS3 when they're at the end of their cycle?

It's also being released on the next gen consoles.

360/PS3 install base is 100m+.

It's an MMO, so it needs to be able to be played on a wide variety of systems. It makes the most sense to develop it on familiar, relatively lower-end architecture.

Tokubetsu

It's an MMO, so it needs to be able to be played on a wide variety of systems. It makes the most sense to develop it on familiar, relatively lower-end architecture.

That confirmed? The next-gen bit.

Instro

I'm getting more and more interested in the prospects of this game...I've never actually attempted to play an MMO before, but this just looks too unique and interesting to skip because "BAH I don't like the genre!" If Bungie can revolutionize the MMO genre the same way they did console FPS's way back when...Can't wait to see some gameplay.

I would imagine its more about bringing the MMO genre to consoles in a convincing manner, and in a vehicle palatable to the majority of console gamers(FPS), compared to the hand me downs from the PC seen in the past.

That was not the reach reveal trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7b64FlGrW0

This close to release I'm hoping for an in-game trailer, so that Bungie can finally open back up to the community some with what they're working on

Ah yeah, I kinda forgot about that one.. none the less, I bet it will be closer to the Reach VGA trailer rather than the E3 one. Activision probably wants to cause some excitement and try to steal the show.

GrizzNKev

Banned
mmmmm yummy words, love your work Duncan. I've been following it for a long time, didn't realize it was you until Tashi told me.

If there are significant graphical upgrades to a launch version of Destiny on the xbox 720...

my body won't be ready

ima contain the hype though. We're talking about a developer who literally got Marty to compose music that set a rain like mood because they weren't graphically capable of creating rain.

Not to mention Reach ghosting.

Bungie really shit the bed graphically after Halo 2.

G17

I've never read the November 6th leak describing the gameplay before.. some very interesting quotes!

That was a great read.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

After playing Planetside 2 I have no idea how they're going to pull that off on the 360 and PS3, but good luck to them.

mmmmm yummy words, love your work Duncan. I've been following it for a long time, didn't realize it was you until Tashi told me.

Just fantastic.

edit-
HYPE

I've never read the November 6th leak describing the gameplay before.. some very interesting quotes!

That was a great read.

Great article - I'm really hoping we finally get to see this game at the VGAs this week.

Thanks, everyone! I enjoy writing these articles. :)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get the objection to calling it foreshadowing, i.e. intentionally hinting at something that will happen later. I know it's a literary term but I think it's fair to call it Bungie "foreshadowing" their next franchise. It's become an easter egg hindsight.
Yeah, I guess you're right. I was thinking of foreshadowing as an ambiguous thing, but really it's only meant to be mysterious to the reader/player, whereas the meaning is perfectly clear (usually) to the author. So yeah, you're right. :p

That was not the reach reveal trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7b64FlGrW0

This close to release I'm hoping for an in-game trailer, so that Bungie can finally open back up to the community some with what they're working on

I think the destiny trailer will be more in line with the VGA trailer, its closer to release, and the introduction of a new franchise always needs a bigger push. With reach, saying the name and referencing Spartans tells us quite a lot, it would do jack for destiny.

quickwhips

I always thought it was coming out for 360 first was because the new system would have bc and the ps4 wouldn't? Thats why their will be a 720 and ps4 version later...?

wwm0nkey

I always thought it was coming out for 360 first was because the new system would have bc and the ps4 wouldn't? Thats why their will be a 720 and ps4 version later...?

Contract originally said it was hitting 360 and the 720 at launch of Fall 2013. PS4 was the only "LATER" system.

I am also not happy that they're releasing it on current systems. I was hoping their engine would be created for next gen. Seems like this could be a pretty big limiting factor.

Nope:

It would have been a nice surprise, but I think they have grander plans.

"See you in 2013."
Be Brave!

Edit: Wait a minute, "Be Brave!" rhymes with "to blave", which is another way of saying "to bluff" which means that Twitter reply might not be accurate, which means there will be some kind of trailer tonight.

:_(

Damnit, even the VGA GAF thread title says 5 unannounced games are being revealed tonight! whyyyyyyyyyyyy

Edit: Wait a minute, "Be Brave!" rhymes with "to blave", which is another way of saying "to bluff" which means that Twitter reply might not be accurate, which means there will be some kind of trailer tonight.

You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just caught up on your blogpost, Duncan. Great stuff. Getting so excited.

Hey all, this is a bit of an ad, but our little middleware studio has worked on Destiny for well over two years actively and I've been around Neogaf for ages. We are going to talk about our work with Bungie with their graphics engine guru Hao Chen at GDC. More info about this here. At least a little bit of new info on the game!

MrBig

Hey all, this is a bit of an ad, but our little middleware studio has worked on Destiny for well over two years actively and I've been around Neogaf for ages. We are going to talk about our work with Bungie with their graphics engine guru Hao Chen at GDC. More info about this here. At least a little bit of new info on the game!

Interesting. Do you guys know if your sessions will be streamed or at least recorded for public viewing? Last I checked the GDC schedule for Bungie's talk it said TBD

Top Bottom