• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny (Bungie MMOFPS, 360/PS3) Story Details, Concept Art Leaked [Up2: More Info]

Wrong. It was confirmed that Bungie is working on a new Marathon game.

nope. they were confirmed to be working on a second project named marathon. It's not a marathon game though, just a name for the project.

bungie likes to mess with people like that.

So.......Bungie is working on 3 games atm? "Destiny", "Marathon", and another new IP? Are the two non-Destiny games being published by Activision?

"marathon" is the new ip. they're only working on 2 projects, with like 95% of the focus on destiny.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So.......Bungie is working on 3 games atm? "Destiny", "Marathon", and another new IP? Are the two non-Destiny games being published by Activision?

The vast majority of their staff is making this, while up to 5% of their staff (and only 5% of their key staff) is allowed to work on Marathon.

The new IP I'm unclear on.

Yeah, good point. Really, though, I just want something that's fun to play with friends that doesn't leave a bad taste in my mouth. I played the hell out of Borderlands 2 earlier this year, and could see Bungie following a similar formula splendidly.

That's fair, and i actually think this is the vast majority of Halo players. But the population that believes that the only true halo is the stripped down MP halo may be disappointed. Hopefully the change to a new franchise will properly temper expectations.

My hope is the game is something like, Halo quality firefights + borderlands loot acquisition + Dark Soulsish co-op/adversarial with a nice global economy layerd on top.

That's fine. I'm one of those players who feel Halo 4 doesn't cater to the competitive crowd in any way, but I'll still enjoy Destiny if it is this character centric, social, co-operative game primarily because I didn't expect it to be otherwise. And it's Bungie, so the art and design will be stellar.

There won't be any killstreaks, for example.

I think I'm seeing something of a trend, "Avoid things that ruin the game and piss me off"

This is interesting...I feel that Respawn Entertainment (old Infinity Ward) is heading down that coop and possibly RPGish road as well.

Not gonna lie it would be hilarious if both devs that created some of the biggest MP FPS games this past decade (Bungie with Halo and Respawn with Call of duty) end up making a non competitive shooter lmao.

I never felt that Bungie was entirely comfortable in that role. Though Bungie had long been a pioneer in online matchmaking, and interesting mutliplayer, they really focused on multiplayer that fit with the narrative, or featured interesting objectives. I think Jones is on record as saying "Fuck Bodycout [slayer]."

The vast majority of their staff is making this, while up to 5% of their staff (and only 5% of their key staff) is allowed to work on Marathon.

The new IP I'm unclear on.

I'm surprised MS let them keep the Marathon IP. If Bungie ends up making a Marathon game it will basically be another Halo game.

MrBig

I never felt that Bungie was entirely comfortable in that role. Though Bungie had long been a pioneer in online matchmaking, and interesting mutliplayer, they really focused on multiplayer that fit with the narrative, or featured interesting objectives. I think Jones is on record as saying "Fuck Bodycout [slayer]."

To that end I'd like to see Destiny, and games in general, focus on a single great mode/experience rather than the traditional FPS splintering of having a MP mode, a SP mode, and a Co-Op mode.

Spawnling

The new IP is Destiny. So, only two at the moment. We don't know that Marathon is a straight remake either, it's just a codename.

Jarmel

Banned
Here were their designs for example, when Sega and Platinum were still considering how the character would look:

bayonetta2a-867x700v7kez.jpg

bayonetta1a-900x620dojm5.jpg

The top middle one seems the closest to what they ended up with.

Huh. This looks better than what we actually got.

Anyway the concept art looks beyond fantastic and after seeing how Bioware fucked the pooch with the Mass Effect universe, a brand new scifi IP is extremely welcome.

To that end I'd like to see Destiny, and games in general, focus on a single great mode/experience rather than the traditional FPS splintering of having a MP mode, a SP mode, and a Co-Op mode.

Not to harp on it, but this is where an example of something like dark souls shines. Especially when you have to do If there are mechanisms to enable PVP in game, seamlessly (and possibly when you don't want to PVP) it could be pretty awesome. I'm really hoping we get something that combines that level of interaction, without all the weirdness that dark souls could introduce in finding someone to fight.

Pooya

Wait, it's a trilogy? And it's an MMO? Sorry; I haven't really followed this game at all :/

yeah, it's a three game deal with Activision until 2020. We really don't know exactly what kind of game it is. It's a "social", online focused FPS, read the op. It's likely nothing like a World of Warcraft MMO!

Hindle

Banned
I can't see this coming out for the 360, it's got next gen all over it. Even though those court documents said it is I'm still highly sceptical.

Ryoku

yeah, it's a three game deal with Activision until 2020. We really don't know exactly what kind of game it is. It's a "social", online focused FPS, read the op. It's likely nothing like a World of Warcraft MMO!

Damn. Would not have minded if it were an MMORPG (a unique one, at least), but this is great news.

lockload

I can't see this coming out for the 360, it's got next gen all over it. Even though those court documents said it is I'm still highly sceptical.

I think it will, games come ot on 360/ps3 and still manage to come out on high end pc's

Also the install base of 360 cannot be ignored for this game

My hope is new xbox announced at E3 along with this game

I think everyone is confused by the Marathon/new IP stuff. This is my interpretation:

- Bungie signs the contract with Activision to make Destiny games for 10 years. They include a clause that lets a small percentage of the studio work on "Marathon" so that Bungie has something ready after it's done with Destiny. It isn't necessarily a game in the existing Marathon franchise, that's just the code name to simplify the language in the contract.

- Reach is released and Bungie is now 100% working on Destiny. (Aside from the Noble Map Pack and other Reach support before everything Halo is handed off to 343.)

- A small portion of Bungie helps with testing/producing Crimson: Steam Pirates under the Bungie Aerospace label. I'm not sure how this fits into the Activision contract, so surely there have been some additions since it was signed.

- At one point Marcus and a few other Bungie guys don't have a lot to do (or want something new) and split off to form a small team, brainstorm ideas, and make prototypes for a brand new IP. They do this under the "Marathon" clause of the contract, even though it has nothing to do with the old Marathon franchise.

- That work gets finished, shown off to the entire studio, and put on a shelf. It won't be released any time soon, but it's there for Bungie to dust off post-Destiny. The team gets reintegrated into Destiny work and Marcus retires from Bungie again. The studio is back to being 100% focused on Destiny.

I could be completely wrong though. This is just my best guess based on Twitter comments I've read - no inside info here.

Wait, it's a trilogy? And it's an MMO? Sorry; I haven't really followed this game at all :/

So yea, the business details were spilled during the IW lawsuits, there will be 3 games, 3 expansions, and various pieces of DLC. It has MMO elements, but we don't know how far it goes, some people are expecting World of Halo Craft, some people are expecting a co-op fps along the lines of borderland. Nothing concrete yet, though I lean towards the second.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I have so, so many questions about this. I'm trying to imagine the type of "next big thing" mix of behind the scenes matchmaking/instancing/co-op that would allow for the type of experience everyone seems to agree the game will offer.. and I just can't see it being done on the current gen. At least with the amount of polish you would expect, and not spending 50% of your playtime loading or waiting for connections to iron out. The consensus at large seems to be like some hybrid of borderlands, firefight, and guild wars with players phasing seamlessly in and out of instanced missions and larger hub/social areas. At least that seems what would be required for this to actually live up to the "next big thing" everyone is hoping it is.

Yeah, we have no info, yadda yadda yadda.. but I think the biggest mental barrier I have from engaging in full on hype mode is the fact that this remains a current gen title. The hazy image that's emerging of this thing seems to be something that just wouldn't be as good as it sounds on the ps3 or 360.

futuristic vikings. that's what the concept art reminded me of lol.

The one with the walking tank. One of the dudes looks like he has horns on his helmet lol

Top Bottom