• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny (Bungie MMOFPS, 360/PS3) Story Details, Concept Art Leaked [Up2: More Info]

Why on Earth are Bungie staking the future of their company on a console MMOFPS coming out the same year as their replacements? I really can't imagine Bungie surviving the next few years once this inevitably bombs, let's hope Frankie and MS are feeling generous and pick up most of them.

BLAZER

Just got home from work. Can't believe it. This is amazing. What a surprise, even though it wasn't what Bungie intended.

Its already been confirmed that next gen versions of this are being developed alongside current gen version for maximum target audience

V_Arnold

Oh, I love how Bungie is not afraid to take on new age tales of Ascension, and then modify it to a great degree. Great, great stuff.

Very excited to try this one out, if anyone, Activision could be able to support this not only on a financial level, but on a conceptual one - they already know that on the Blizzard side, there is proof that big, ambitious concepts can work.

monome

Its already been confirmed that next gen versions of this are being developed alongside current gen version for maximum target audience

nope. court documents say a possible 360/720 dual release is being considered. no PS4.
and I don't recall the PS3 version being locked for launch.

Good. A next generation version should look much more impressive...and it could act as a catalyst for people to switch.

Do you excpect Bungie to launch a much superior version for a very limited group of people.
Expect some better textures and better draw distance, hopefully 60 FPS is the engine can be quickly ported to 720. nothing earth shattering;
That said, 720 + Destiny at launch is boner inducing even if the game is only marginally sexier.

The game has to be cross-gen compatible, makes a next-gen version with lots of improvements hardly possible. Crossing fingers for a polished version with a few more visual tricks, won't change a thing as regards to players count or animations etc...that said a one-disc box, and a possible digital day one release if MS wants to follow Nintendo is good enough.

Mulligan

Banned

See, now that's what i don't understand. They're going to want the largest target audience possible to get the franchise going yet they've made the first game a 360 exclusive for atleast a year timeframe according to the leaked info. The fact that it's being published by Activision too and is a timed exclusive... it just doesn't make sense. Microsoft must have paid a rediculous amount of cash for this to happen.

nope. court documents say a possible 360/720 dual release is being considered. no PS4.
and I don't recall the PS3 version being locked for launch.
No first game in the series is 360/720 exclusive and ps4 gets 2nd in the series day 1.
Also the first in the series a year later.

See, now that's what i don't understand. They're going to want the largest target audience possible to get the franchise going yet they've made the first game a 360 exclusive for atleast a year timeframe according to the leaked info. The fact that it's being published by Activision too and is a timed exclusive... it just doesn't make sense. Microsoft must have paid a rediculous amount of cash for this to happen.
No Bungie signed with MS when they broke up that MS has first right of seeing/first right of signing with there new ip.

Caesnd

It's nice to see that Craig Mullins still has close bonds with Bungie. All the way from Marathon, and now Destiny. His concept work really puts most other efforts to shame, and it has a lot to do with him being one of the few who still seem to focus more on the actual concept aspect rather than just the art side of it.

monome

No first game in the series is 360/720 exclusive and ps4 gets 2nd in the series day 1.

No Bungie signed with MS when they broke up that MS has first right of seeing/first right of signing with there new ip.

we're ok. too lazy to write about the 2nd game.
Lol at the +1year PS3 delay...

And MS did not pay for the exclusivity, they bought it when they made Bungie a huge AAA studio for Halo with expertise in only one console architecture. PS3 being less of a straight port from PC is obviously not making things easier for Sony.

I think you need to raise your expectations, the '720' ain't going to be a marginal increase.
I'll take best over better anyday. and I'm not talking about the 720 potential which I have no clue about, seeing what a console can output 7 years in its lifecycle.

That said I don't see how animations and other game changing code can accomodate online gaming between two console generations.
I expect a marginal increase ala PSVITA-PS3 where cross compatible online games exist.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
what exactly is an mmofps? Can someone give me popular examples? I don't think I've ever played one.

Mulligan

Banned

Ah right. Still seems like a terrible move for Bungie, but then i guess the Halo franchise has sold great numbers with being console exclusive for the most part.

Glass Rebel

The art looks amazing but it's hard to get excited about it without any gameplay and monetization details.

Also really disappointing that there's no sign of a PC release. It'd would suck if they skipped the first entry like the leaked documents suggested.

22.jpg

Looks like the concept artist was a fan of Tiberium.

TheOddOne

I wonder if this deal is still in place. They are now hooked to Activision for ten years, so it will be a long time before we see something new. Or they have another team working.

Shadders

The court documents are old and outdated.

destiny-35jpg-489af9-610x291.jpg

It will definitely be on PS3. And if it's on PS3, it's a good bet they'd do it on PS4 too.

monome

The court documents are old and outdated.

destiny-35jpg-489af9-610x291.jpg

It will definitely be on PS3. And if it's on PS3, it's a good bet they'd do it on PS4 too.

it does seem they've made strives for the PS3 version since it's advertised. wasn't the latest leak related to a company with PS3 online expertise?
and I think MS passing on after they first look thingy means Acti is free to do whatever it wants.

Anyway, I'm way more hyped about a 720 release than a PS3 one. way....

Yeah, the strange case of Tiberium -- Game Informer cover story and the featured title on an GTTV episode (including a studio visit) in quick succession... and then cancelled.

I actually quite liked the idea of FPS w/squad control in a MP environment.

61rRv1dNJyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

OMG when I saw that concept image, that exact image you posted is what I was thinking it reminded me of, but then I couldn't find it when I searched "Tiberium concept art" and the trailer was the closest thing to it.

Artists do shit like this all the time though, it doesn't surprise me.

Why on Earth are Bungie staking the future of their company on a console MMOFPS coming out the same year as their replacements? I really can't imagine Bungie surviving the next few years once this inevitably bombs, let's hope Frankie and MS are feeling generous and pick up most of them.

Maybe PS3 and 360 succesors are further away?

Not a lot of stuff launching succesfully in this economy.

But this will not be World of Warcraft with guns because that is stupid.
This will be the FIRST mmo on consoles that really works.

I really belove that, this team can really "crack" the code on how to do an mmo fps and a console mmo.

Just like they did with fps on the console in general.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but according to the contract they agreed to develop for the 360 with the option for development for PS3 if deemed financially viable and judging from the teaser they have agreed to do that.

I don't think MS has the first right option anymore. The only time I've seen it discussed the Bungie guy said he couldn't comment because they were still working on Halo.

As far as looking into the future and our next big IP, we did talk to Microsoft as well as some other publishers and, like Joe said, ultimately after all discussions were said and done, Activision was really the only publisher that ultimately met all of the conditions and things that were most important to us. And we get to own the IP, we're still independent, we have creative control, and Activision brings to the table the ability for us to explore multiple platforms and multiple devices, which, to us, is a very exciting prospect as we look to broaden our audience and share our new universe and stories with as many people as possible.

That doesn't sound like MS have any rights at all.

duckroll

This statement doesn't really seem to match up with the reality of what we know about the franchise they're building here.

x-Lundz-x

I really can't fathom this launching so late into the console cycle, unless they are developing a next generation version.

Well, they are not going to ignore 100 million potential customers with current gen devices. This is why I really hope next gen has full BC so I can play it on the 720 and not have to mess with my 360.

I think the documents that have been shown have the release of the first game next year. They plan on having 3 major releases and 3 mini (xpac?) releases I think. So the initial release and first expansion will probably be current generation with them moving on to the next gen with the second major release. Considering all your progress and stats should be stored server side it will not matter if you change consoles. That makes sense to me.

Ghizz

Wow, the concept art looks fantastic. Hopefully the first time we see ingame footage will blow our minds away as well.

OMG when I saw that concept image, that exact image you posted is what I was thinking it reminded me of, but then I couldn't find it when I searched "Tiberium concept art" and the trailer was the closest thing to it.

Artists do shit like this all the time though, it doesn't surprise me.
It's clearly swipe, but I actually don't think it's really a problem in this case -- I'm assuming it was meant primarily for internal use. Now if it was made for promotional use, that's more of an issue.

Haunted

Mystery is always a good start for a premise. Not too psyched about it being an MMO, but we already knew it would be (iirc).

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but according to the contract they agreed to develop for the 360 with the option for development for PS3 if deemed financially viable and judging from the teaser they have agreed to do that.

I don't think MS has the first right option anymore. The only time I've seen it discussed the Bungie guy said he couldn't comment because they were still working on Halo.
That doesn't sound like MS have any rights at all.
You are not reading it wrong but, I really do remember that the contract that they signed with MS for the break up were:
Money upfront from Bungie.
And First right of refuse/look at new game ip, for a potential exclusive.

Breaking that side of the contract would have been very VERY costly for Actibliz.

So will see next year, but very very excited for it.

Denzar

I really can't fathom this launching so late into the console cycle, unless they are developing a next generation version.

It makes sense from a business perspective. An MMO is one huge financial risk, and most definitely on console. Not one MMO game has proven itself profitable on console. The installed base existing out of 360 and PS3 users will be massively larger than the installed base of people owning the next-gen systems for years to come. Combined with Activisions gigantic marketing budget and (probably) funding I can see this turn into a viable, profitable platform, even considering its technical obsolesscence at the time.

Most developers already talk about their big budget games as a platform that needs to be supported with DLC and patches through time. Destiny will be no different, only way bigger and even more ambitious (DUH, it's an MMO). Once Activision is able to make a profit on the current gen Destiny they will shift focus to the next gen Destiny. Well, that is my guess at least.

I can see Activision releasing Destiny on next-gen platfroms too, and using the current gen Destiny as leverage for consumers to temp them into buying a next gen system and Destiny for corresponding platform. "You can only explore more of Destiny's world on a next gen system".

You are not reading it wrong but, I really do remember that the contract that they signed with MS for the break up were:
Money upfront from Bungie.
And First right of refuse/look at new game ip, for a potential exclusive.

Breaking that side of the contract would have been very VERY costly for Actibliz.

So will see next year, but very very excited for it.

I'm wondering where this comes from. They said they talked to MS, they talked to other publishers and ultimately they went with Activision. Don't think it cost Activision anything and I don't think there is any exclusivity deal, it just made sense from a development perspective as Bungie have said they are comfortable with the 360.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Mystery is always a good start for a premise. Not too psyched about it being an MMO, but we already knew it would be (iirc).

When those that had seen it talked about it, it sounded more like you have your game, and you frequently intersect with other games on common objectives, and then go off in your own direction. During all that time, the game generates virtual servers for each group of players. I don't think there's a full persistent world with NPCs standing around. It sounds more like something closer to The Crossing.

Pooya

I'm wondering where this comes from. They said they talked to MS, they talked to other publishers and ultimately they went with Activision. Don't think it cost Activision anything and I don't think there is any exclusivity deal, it just made sense from a development perspective as Bungie have said they are comfortable with the 360.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft/2007/10/05/bungie-going-independent-microsoft-confirms-update/
Microsoft Corp. today announced a plan for Bungie Studios, the developers of the “Halo” franchise, to embark on a path to become an independent company. Microsoft will retain an equity interest in Bungie, at the same time continuing its long-standing publishing agreement between Microsoft Game Studios and Bungie for the Microsoft-owned “Halo” intellectual property as well as other future properties developed by Bungie.

TheOddOne

I'm just wondering that Marcus Letho was working on a new IP (before he left, again), theoretically Microsoft could be one of first people approached.

Heck there seems to be multiple teams, Reach I think was being worked on by a team lead by Marcus.

MS are not continuing any long standing publishing agreement though. They are not publishing anything. Funny reading that piece now because they insist that MGS is the publisher they are going to work with.

Ryan: As I’ve said, Microsoft Game Studios has been a great publisher for us over the past years and for the foreseeable future, they’re the publisher we plan to work with. Xbox is what we know, it’s what we’ve built on, and it is the best platform at this point. Our plans are absolutely to stay with Microsoft Game Studios for the foreseeable future.

Q: Are you contractually obligated to do that, or is it your option?

Ryan: Exactly where the lines are between contract and option, we’re not going into details there. It’s definitely our preference to stay with Microsoft Game Studios.

As it turns out, it's not their preference.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

I can't really believe studios are still doing that at this point in the industry. So much for maximum audience.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
We're not going anywhere. MGS is best for us.

*next week*

We're going to Activision.

MS are not continuing any long standing publishing agreement though. They are not publishing anything. Funny reading that piece now because they insist that MGS is the publisher they are going to work with.

I'm guessing MS didn't want another Halo style game since they already had Halo. And if Destiny becomes big it will likely take away a chunk of Halo players which I doubt MS wants either. They own Halo, but they don't own Destiny even if they publish, obviously they will want their game to do better.

When those that had seen it talked about it, it sounded more like you have your game, and you frequently intersect with other games on common objectives, and then go off in your own direction. During all that time, the game generates virtual servers for each group of players. I don't think there's a full persistent world with NPCs standing around. It sounds more like something closer to The Crossing.

Kinda sounds like the Bastard child of Dark Souls, Borderlands and Halo.

I could get behind this.

This is making me want to go back and play some old bungie games, I just put Myth the total codex in an amazon cart, LOL.

MS Game studios and game publishing have turned really conservative in the last half of the 360's lifespan. Nothing big and interesting outside gauranteed hits like the next Halo/Gears.

Top Bottom