• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny (Bungie MMOFPS, 360/PS3) Story Details, Concept Art Leaked [Up2: More Info]

Pooya

Indubitably.

I think he's talking about cross platform character stats. Say, if you play on PC or XBOX have same character and progress the same character, I don't think this is a full-on MMO like that, it's probably just tied to gamertag so it might work with next xbox, it's not really given for everything else, don't think there would be cross console compatibility at least.

I really like the art, which is something Bungie had been lacking up until Halo: Reach.

But here is the thing, almost every MMO has fantastic art, but not all of them are good, so I'll wait.

Also, lol @ people shitting on Halo 4 in this thread.

J10

Banned
tumblr_mdggx4MZs51qh8sqz.gif

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
let's hope it's not some CG trailer, something like Reach VGA trailer would be good enough, show a bit of world with in game engine even if image quality isn't representative it was from the game still.
Well, even CGI trailer will be good enough than some shitty teaser with the game logo ^_^

As for in-game footage, I don't think that Bungie is ready to show it so early to the public, but they can show it to the press behind closed doors.

I think he's talking about cross platform character stats. Say, if you play on PC or XBOX have same character and progress the same character, I don't think this is a full-on MMO like that, it's probably just tied to gamertag so it might work with next xbox, it's not really given for everything else, don't think there would be cross console compatibility at least.

Having a cross platform MMO would be insanely difficult WRT accounts. Unless they employed a login system over the top, which means playing without your Xbox gamertag.

About the VGA's, I thought that Bungie was pretty clear about a 2013 reveal of the game, which if true obviously counts out the VGAs.

monome

I prefer 343i's take on Forerunner design over the the Destiny "style", but the "inner 7 years old" part talks to me. Halo 4 was too serious or at least the seriousness was not conducted well enough.

Bring it Bungie.

Hindle

Banned
The art looks awesome same with the universe. If its singe player slash multiplayer like Halo then I'm there day one.

So it's an MMO? I've got no real interest if that's the case.

Probably not in the typical MMORPG structure. It will be Massively Multiplayer and it will be online, but I highly doubt it will be grinding, have a hotbar in the bottom with skills and so on.

Bungie is not stupid, I expect them to do something different, and they know as well as we know, that the typical MMORPG structure won't work in the context of a FPS.

jaosobno

Art looks incredible, specially the first offical image.

Fingers crossed for VGA announcement, however I highly doubt it. If artwork is anything to go by, this could be an amazing game.

Raide

I really wish this was held back for the next generation, I can't help but feel the current hardware is going to hold it back.

I feel the same way. All that amazing art and you know it will look nothing like that. Should be worked into a launch title for the next-gen machines.

Jawmuncher

I feel the same way. All that amazing art and you know it will look nothing like that. Should be worked into a launch title for the next-gen machines.

I think some of the stuff there is stating that it will be.
So it'll be interesting to see especially if the "Xbox" version are somehow playable agaisnt each other.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Unless Bungie completely re-hired a new texturing and modelling department, I never really put much stock into concept art from their end. They're gonna need to have massively evolved since their last efforts to match Killzone 2/3 and Halo 4.

The enemy tank shot main dude seems like such an obvious fusion of Helghast and Chimera that its fairly ridiculous.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Unless Bungie completely re-hired a new texturing and modelling department, I never really put much stock into concept art from their end. They're gonna need to have massively evolved since their last efforts to match Killzone 2/3 and Halo 4.

The enemy tank shot main dude seems like such an obvious fusion of Helghast and Chimera that its fairly ridiculous.

Well, Bungie has been hiring like a bazillion people a day.

Impressive. So will they allow us to play to create our own character (design face, hair, clothes, bodytype, armor) and then explore?

I wonder if it will feature swords. Looks very gun based. The thing with the aliens invading suggests a PvE adversary. Could that mean that the game is mainly co-op and not faction vs faction like Planetside?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Yes yes, Jin-Roh, everythings a remix. But when I see the Helghan symbol on the dudes damn shoulder pad, it evokes a lot more of a negative reaction. Also I found the cloaked and hooded Killzone baddies quite original looking, and here they are again across all of the main designs. I'm just not really feeling it.

Mulligan

Banned
So what's the deal? In one thread i'm reading PS3/360 and in another i'm reading first game is exclusive to 360.. anyone know which is legit? Also, no PC?

I thought the documents said the first one will be 360/720, then eventually PS3?
Correct. Destiny #1 will be a time-limited X360 exclusive and after a joint technical feasibility study (ATVI & Bungie) they will decide if they'll develop the PS3 version or not and judging by this info, the study approved the PS3 version.

Pooya

the document was like this

Destiny 1/ Comet* 1 platforms 360/720/PS3
Destiny 2 onwards platforms 720/PC/PS4

*Comet is the expansion pack coming a year after a Destiny release, beside DLC.

The document said that Bungie must deliver the game in Fall 2013 for 360/720 and a PS3 release until Fall 2014. I'm guessing PS3 release might be day 1 now if it's mentioned in their artwork. Don't think they'd announce the game for PS3 and say it comes out later? anyway even if they pretend it's not on PS3 at first with Bungie hiring for PS3 on their site and this leak it would be obvious anyway. Still there could be a like 6 months time exclusivity, a PS3 release in Fall 2014 would be really pointless and stupid commercially, it's not going to sell much as it is.

Pranay

MMOFPS

On the old consoles.

Haha.

Back to Planetside 2.

Err

@Thread

Really excited to see gameplay footage.
Game artwork looks great but an mmofps this late for current consoles ?
Hope bungie pull their magic in popularizing this genre on consoles as well.

Woorloog

Banned
Hmm.
On one hand, interesting concepts.
On the other hand, taking into account stuff from that leaked Activision/Bungie contract, i'm not so keen on this. Of course that stuff is probably dated so i'll ignore it mostly.
Nice art.

Will wait for proper info before deciding whether i'm truly interested or not.
And regardless, this time i won't be hyped. I'm constantly burning myself by being hyped for future games...

Top Bottom