• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny (Bungie MMOFPS, 360/PS3) Story Details, Concept Art Leaked [Up2: More Info]

Pooya

MS are not continuing any long standing publishing agreement though. They are not publishing anything. Funny reading that piece now because they insist that MGS is the publisher they are going to work with.

you should probably go read your own post I replied to....
Microsoft has the publishing right to whatever Bungie makes, they passed on it for Destiny because Bungie wants their IP to be multi-platform game. Future, other IPs? who knows what will happen until 2020. Microsoft still has partial interest in the studio.

thirdtimesthecharm.jpg

Looks great!

I find it hard to believe that this will be on 360,PS3, 720, PS4 but not PC. I hope they just forgot to mention it...

I think the contract doesn't specify it, but also specifically mentions it can happen, but for the next games it will happen.

I'm building a gaming PC next year, so I'm really hoping that's a WILL happen.

ElRenoRaven

I'm just wondering that Marcus Letho was working on a new IP (before he left, again), theoretically Microsoft could be one of first people approached.

Heck there seems to be multiple teams, Reach I think was being worked on by a team lead by Marcus.

Wait he left again? I hadn't heard about that.

hiryu

Looks and sounds awesome. I really doubt this is MMO scale and probably more just a revolution in CO-OP. Something like the next step in the Borderlands formula.

DTKT

Hmm why make it an MMO? Clearly they didn't look at The Old Republic and how that failed.

It's not being released on the PC, just consoles which have no analog for a subscription based service (beyond Live Gold). I don't think it has the same "MMO fatigue" as the PC market. It's a high profile game made by a Bungie, which has mass-market appeal.

It could be new enough for the console market. It will probably helps if the game is actually unique or interesting.

DangerStepp

Its already been confirmed that next gen versions of this are being developed alongside current gen version for maximum target audience
Really?!

I thought the netcode to support both next gen online and current gen (LIVE/PSNetwork) would be hellish to pull off...

I'm not entirely knowledgeable on the matter but it seems current games have enough trouble with lag and communication across one platform let alone two separate infrastructures.

It's not being released on the PC, just consoles which have no analog for a subscription based service (beyond Live Gold). I don't think it has the same "MMO fatigue" as the PC market. It's a high profile game made by a Bungie, which has mass-market appeal.

It could be new enough for the console market. It will probably helps if the game is actually unique or interesting.

Also: None of the contracts mentioned a monthly fee of any kind. The payment model will probably look something like Guild wars, with money being made on initial purchase, a steady set of expansions, and some cosmetic microtransactions.

Really?!

I thought the netcode to support both next gen online and current gen (LIVE/PSNetwork) would be hellish to pull off...

I'm not entirely knowledgeable on the matter but it seems current games have enough trouble with lag and communication across one platform let alone two separate infrastructures.

I imagine interacting with various online systems is the easiest part of writing good netcode.

MrBig

I suppose you're right... after all, we were able to play Halo 2 on 360 vs. Xbox, right?

Through backwards compatibility/emulation yes they were able to interact. The problem with it being on current consoles isn't being able to to play it on alternative platforms, but rather being limited in technical scope by current console hardware.

DangerStepp

Correct, which contributes to my lack of enthusiasm.

I'll wait idly by and see what comes out of it; hopefully something awesome.

I wish it was a PC release.

I'm interested in hearing about the "MMO" aspects. If it's more akin to Borderlands, and I can still play solo? I can see myself being interested.

I hope it's this. All of my money if it's this.

EDIT: Also, I thought Lehto came back to Bungie already. Did he leave again?

I find it hard to believe that this will be on 360,PS3, 720, PS4 but not PC. I hope they just forgot to mention it...

PC is a pretty competitive environment. With a console release at launch you can probably smooth any issues out with less public critiquing.

Wouldn't be surprised if there isn't though.
The fact its not in the agreement is worrying; publisher would be the main push for a PC release (especially to the likes of modern Bungie am sure). No agreement on that makes it clear theres very much a 'this is a MMO for consoles'.

Console Gamers are the target market, which isn't unfair due to the saturation of the PC space.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I very much doubt it is an MMO, probably just larger scale with some persistent online stuff at most.

I think the MMO genre itself is in a sort of flux at the moment. The idea of the big, persistent-world online game is probably always going to be appealing to a lot of people, but the market is definitely running out of steam with regard to the "pay $15 a month for a game that is different from WoW in X ways" churn that's been going strong the past 5+ years.

I'd love to see something like this be truly groundbreaking and sort of finally push the industry past the current rut it seems to be falling into with the MMO-style game. The concept is epic an interesting, despite not totally original, and the art style that we can see so far is absolutely gorgeous.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.gifsforum.com/images/gif/wtf/grand/situation_wtf_gif.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
You shouldn't be so surprised. There's quite a few Halo fans who don't like Halo 4. Some people in HaloGAF have largely stopped playing it already. Many of us are hoping to migrate to Destiny, I think.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I was thinking about a few of the details from the world fiction and it started to seem hilarious to me. The second mankind gets out there into the universe were forced to completely retreat back under a literal rock, lol.

I liked that one picture. So cool.

You shouldn't be so surprised. There's quite a few Halo fans who don't like Halo 4. Some people in HaloGAF have largely stopped playing it already. Many of us are hoping to migrate to Destiny, I think.

I'm going to predict that this will be something really special, but that it's not going to make the crew waiting for the next MLG ready shooter very happy. I imagine this is going to be very focussed around co-op, and character investment, and for those in the community looking for that slayer pro experience, this won't be it.

Arnie

I'm going to predict that this will be something really special, but that it's not going to make the crew waiting for the next MLG ready shooter very happy. I imagine this is going to be very focussed around co-op, and character investment, and for those in the community looking for that slayer pro experience, this won't be it.

That's fine. I'm one of those players who feel Halo 4 doesn't cater to the competitive crowd in any way, but I'll still enjoy Destiny if it is this character centric, social, co-operative game primarily because I didn't expect it to be otherwise. And it's Bungie, so the art and design will be stellar.

There won't be any killstreaks, for example.

I've never played an MMOFPS so could someone explain how this can be done with a campaign-like structure or storyline as opposed to just being a bunch of very large maps? All I can see here is an enormous version of Spartan Ops. But, again, I admit to not ever having played or experiencing this type of game. I just really don't what appears to be really good artistic direction wasted on a game all about huge arenas.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, good point. Really, though, I just want something that's fun to play with friends that doesn't leave a bad taste in my mouth. I played the hell out of Borderlands 2 earlier this year, and could see Bungie following a similar formula splendidly.

Should be awesome. Love the look - very sci-fi steam punk feeling. Just what the mecha/scifi world needs is a massive franchise that focuses on cool designs that look old but feel new. LOVE IT.

What's so bad about it? I'm having a ton of fun online.

So.......Bungie is working on 3 games atm? "Destiny", "Marathon", and another new IP? Are the two non-Destiny games being published by Activision?

Gorillaz

This is interesting...I feel that Respawn Entertainment (old Infinity Ward) is heading down that coop and possibly RPGish road as well.

Not gonna lie it would be hilarious if both devs that created some of the biggest MP FPS games this past decade (Bungie with Halo and Respawn with Call of duty) end up making a non competitive shooter lmao.

Top Bottom