• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny - New Screenshots

Need a new stage demo of this soon. I agree they could do more to explain the game's design and the systems it's uses. I am already sold on the art, environments, character design and sound design.

We'll more then likely be waiting till E3 before we get a full scope on how this game will play. I expect a huge gameplay reveal come E3

So they've showed several parts of Earth, The Moon, Mars, and at least one other planet (Venus? I don't remember). Not sure what specific one you mean when you say "the same level".

Probably referring to the gameplay video of Old Russia. But they've only shown that area the one time really. They've shown clips of gameplay from other areas in their various other promos but it's short clips in montages rather than full runs of content.

Probably referring to the gameplay video of Old Russia. But they've only shown that area the one time really. They've shown clips of gameplay from other areas in their various other promos but it's short clips in montages rather than full runs of content.

That's what's confusing. People act like this is coming out tomorrow and we know nothing about it. It's coming out in September, and we actually know more about Destiny and have seen (cumulatively) more clips of Destiny gameplay, and environments than Infamous and Driveclub combined. Which are coming out in like a month and a half or something.

I mean, I get it, it's being sold as a hybrid game, sort of unlike other things you've played before. But last I checked, they were still building and tweaking the game.They are talking about a summer Beta. It'll all be revealed over the course of the next seven or so months. Bungie doesn't need to spill all the details now, because the details are likely still being ironed out.

broony

We'll more then likely be waiting till E3 before we get a full scope on how this game will play. I expect a huge gameplay reveal come E3

There will be stuff at E3 I'm sure but the beta will be before that going off previous Bungie timescales.

The game releases in September, will be manufacturing for a month before hand so will need to be finished for the end of July. For a beta to be any use you will need at least a couple if months to work on what you learn in the testing. I'd say the beta will be sometime from early May to early June.

Wizman23

Banned
Some very good posts in this thread in regards to how Bungie has kind of botched the entire reveal of this game up until now. In addition to what has been posted in this thread:

-The first reveal was a total trainwreck. Bungie invited game journo's from all over the country in which they were showed nothing of the game. I remember the Giant Bomb guys and a few others being pretty pissed about the entire trip being a waste of time.

-The Vidocs have been more or less half assed compared to what we got for Halo 3, Halo ODST, and Halo Reach. Not only in content, but in how long that actual Vidocs are. They seem more like long trailers rather then actual information about the gameplay and systems. The Halo 3 multiplayer Vidoc still is the best one Bungie ever made and it came out 7 years ago.

-The weekly updates are lacking compared to what they used to be during the "Halo Era". There are no good nuggets like Frank, Urk, and Luke used to write about. Back in the day I would get excited and keep refreshing bnet every Friday night. Not the case anymore.

-The Bungie/Destiny twitter feed constantly tweets old news/info/articles. How many times are we going to get linked to the Game Informer articles?

I have faith in Bungie and that this game will be amazing but I agree with many here that something is missing from the old way Bungie did things to how they are doing things with the Destiny reveal. I think in the end this all boils down to the game getting revealed too early and then getting delayed. Lets just hope that delay is indeed more polish and not developement hell. Lets hope we see a Vidoc soon that actually explains cool things about the game rather then a 4 minute glorified trailer with devs talking.

The game releases in September, will be manufacturing for a month before hand so will need to be finished for the end of July. For a beta to be any use you will need at least a couple if months to work on what you learn in the testing. I'd say the beta will be sometime from early May to early June.

"Finished" is a relative term though. The game they send to be published doesn't have to be bug free or incorporate any fixes. It's an always online game, there will be a day 1 patch.

I think the beta is going to be July/Aug. I don't think it will be anywhere near May. But that's just speculation based on them talking about the beta being "something to do on Summer vacation".

The podcast had so much amazing info. Finally, I can have some sort of comfort that the competitive MP will be balanced. I have faith now that this will turn out great! Super hyped! Need video!!!

viveks86

Don't remember seeing these

Mars01.jpg

Venus02.jpg

Venus01.jpg

Mars02.jpg

Venus05.jpg

Venus06.jpg

10_1_Hive_3_shot.jpg

IQ is stunning!

Kyoufu

I hope the classes in this game have more than just 1 special ability to use in combat.

Borderlands 2 was fun but the whole time I played it I wished there was more to use than the ability given by the chosen talent tree.

Overall I just hope character customisation is robust.

Really looking forward to playing the beta.

viveks86

Bungie always kills it with the lighting effects.

Also Skyboxes

This running on a modified halo reach engine?

I think it's brand new:

Bungie's new game engine – which powers the newly unveiled Destiny – has been in development for the past four years, and it promises to scale up to whatever new hardware comes our way in the next 10 years, says senior graphics architect Hao Chen.
http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/destiny/news/destiny_graphics_engine_is_good_for_10_years_says_bungie.html

Interested to see how Halo 5 tries to respond to Destiny. Seems like it's going to have a uphill battle. On one hand you don't want to diverge too far from the core fanbase. On the other, you have Destiny that seems to carry a lot of the appeal without the baggage of Halo 4.

Stole this from a post on reddit that summarizes the podcast:

Here are the podcast highlights. However, if you have the time, fast-forward to 38mins and listen to the PvP and balancing discussion in context. There is A LOT of detail and the conversation is very in-depth.

- 8mins after, they start discussing what investment means in Destiny
- "Investment" in Destiny goes beyond surface level things like XP points or grinding
- Investment can't fix a bad game, but it can ruin a good game
- Hand Cannon is now a primary
- Sniper is now in the special slot
- Certain loot-dropped gear/perks may only be available for a limited time
- 38mins after, they get into discussing balance and PvP
- Competitive multiplayer is played on separate maps specifically for PvP
- In-depth discussion on balancing
- Supers are earned (accumulated) during PvP combat
- Many different grenade types that can be utilized in different ways
- Axiom Bolt (similar to the Nova bomb) and Arc Prox (proximity electrical damage) to name a few
- Titans have a shoulder-rush ability not mentioned before
- They mentioned a new weapon, an arc-blade
- You cannot engage opponents while doing a vertical movement (blink, double jump, glide)
- Every class, weapon, super, and/or advantage has a counter-move that players will learn/develop/discover over time
- "We're not making Halo again..."

Alienous

Interested to see how Halo 5 tries to respond to Destiny. Seems like it's going to have a uphill battle. On one hand you don't want to diverge too far from the core fanbase. On the other, you have Destiny that seems to carry a lot of the appeal without the baggage of Halo 4.

Chief with a bow & arrows.

Mark my words.

AzaK

Does anyone know if there's more to this game that shoot-shoot-bang-bang? I haven't seen a lot of footage (Just the E3? stuff) and it's looked pretty boring so far.

This game is 60fps on consoles right? I'd be so disappointed after playing so many 60fps games this new gen if it's not.

We are way too far away to know this. And given that it's PS3/360/X1/PS4 it will probably depend on the console.

They have double jump too? Didn't know that! LOL. Double jump is back with a vengeance. It is the new "cover mechanic"!

Believe it's a "super" so I don't think you can just spam it.

RoKKeR

Screens look amazing. Hope the clean IQ and awesome motion blur translate over to both next gen consoles. I'd be fine with 1080/30 on XBO if it keeps that amazing IQ.

Can't wait for the beta.

Woorloog

Banned
I have to admit the game looks gorgeous. Unfortunately its gameplay looks damn boring and standard in the trailers. It just lacks something.

Stole this from a post on reddit that summarizes the podcast:

"Counter moves"? Do people still expect this game to feature competitive PVP?

Mayyhem

My most hyped game of 2014. I just played some Titanfall for the first time and I like it but hook destiny into my veins asap.
As an Xbox owner though it sucks a bit that PS4 seems to be getting the edge with Bungie now :(

Ramirez

I gotta say, these shots on the last few pages are the first media for this game (aside from the wolf ad) that have gave me any hype for this game. Those shots look stunning, love it.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I gotta say, these shots on the last few pages are the first media for this game (aside from the wolf ad) that have gave me any hype for this game. Those shots look stunning, love it.

i've been excited since the e3 gameplay, but the talk of pvp has me hyped.

Top Bottom