• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny - New Screenshots

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Sorry, I'm not trying to be insulting. I guess I just didn't understand disparaging comments about the game the thread is about and saying other unrelated genres are what you're looking for. I guess I was just wondering, why post in this thread then?

But it's not my call, wasn't trying to start anything. Apologies.

you don't have to apologise, you didn't say anything offensive!

to flesh out what i said a bit, i think the setting for destiny is cool but i think they've done a bad job of translating the concept art into the game visuals, and when i see the gameplay it doesn't do much for me

RoKKeR

Wait, day/night cycle? Yesssssssssssss.

One of the bigges questions I still have is the scale of the environments. When Bungie says "Mars", what do they mean by that? Is it just one huge environment with a variety of locations, encounters, missions, safehouses, etc. That you can travel between seamlessly?

Or is it something like Witcher 2 where there are a variety of environments sort of linked near one hub. I guess that's the hardest part about being excited for this game right now - we still aren't really sure of the way everything plays out.

Hopefully we won't have to wait too long to find out.

Amir0x

Banned
I guess this isn't new thread worthy, but a bunch of new shots here:

http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2014/01/destiny-screenshots.html

my god that's so amazing looking

these images by the way are what I mean by the scope of the game is appealing. I'm not even necessarily talking about how 'open' everything is to explore, but the insane variety of locations and such. I love my sci-fi. Can't wait to keep learning more. The hype keeps rising, pretty insane.

Could easily be my writing. I'd encourage you to listen to it (unless you did).

Nah didn't listen to it, was going purely off what you wrote. That's why I said "hope I'm not reading too much into it."

I know this is going to be a tough game to balance, but I'm worried that it may be too off the scale to be fun competitively

i-Lo

Yeah, bullshots are pretty neat.

The first set (in OP) and the bump looks to be downsampled. The latter ones from player PoV is most likely closer to the actual gameplay.

I guess this isn't new thread worthy, but a bunch of new shots here:

http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2014/01/destiny-screenshots.html

I think they're new.

My favourite so far:
1390036259-8.jpg

Reminds me of RAGE.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

One of the bigges questions I still have is the scale of the environments. When Bungie says "Mars", what do they mean by that? Is it just one huge environment with a variety of locations, encounters, missions, safehouses, etc. That you can travel between seamlessly?

Or is it something like Witcher 2 where there are a variety of environments sort of linked near one hub. I guess that's the hardest part about being excited for this game right now - we still aren't really sure of the way everything plays out.

Not familiar with The Witcher 2, but I'm pretty sure there are no hubs on planets, at least from what I've read. It's just one seamless thing, which is what allows events and exploration to be a thing.

HTupolev

The Old Russia demo shows a massive area, a trek through the hallways and such of a big wall, and more decent-sized outdoors stuff on the other side.

My guess is that environments will be "seamless", but that there will be plenty of environmental bottlenecks between large areas to help with streaming and visibility.

More like the former. When talking about the Old Russia area, Game Informer described it this way:

A tour through Old Russia offers a clear representation of free-roaming flow. Some may remember the E3 demo of Destiny. A scripted mission played out underneath a massive wall, ending in a larger public battle against a Fallen tank mech. However, turn a few different corners, and you emerge beyond the wall into a free-roaming countryside.

With a button press, you can hop on your personal vehicle and skim across the grasslands at high speed. Off to the side, a small sea gleams in the sunlight, with ancient rusted ship hulks jutting up from the shoals.

"We want people to come back to these places, explore, find new places to go, and have new reasons to come back.
"

broony

Each planet / moon has multiple 'destinations'. So the moon has the hell mouth, the accelerator, the comm tower, the moon base and so on. They haven't mentioned yet if these are separated or if it's one scrolling, continuous area. I suspect it will be separate with a few bigger landmarks in each location.

I really hope the environments are expansive. Something on the level of Guild Wars 2 would satisfy me. It would be nice if Bungie could deliver on something bigger than that.

Majanew

Banned
Game is looking great. Day 1 on my PS4.

You can tell the Halo guys are making the game, just like you can tell Titanfall is from the COD guys.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Each planet / moon has multiple 'destinations'. So the moon has the hell mouth, the accelerator, the comm tower, the moon base and so on. They haven't mentioned yet if these are separated or if it's one scrolling, continuous area. I suspect it will be separate with a few bigger landmarks in each location.

Aside from some notable exceptions, and competitive multiplayer of course, they are connected and continuous.

RoKKeR

Aside from some notable exceptions, and competitive multiplayer of course, they are connected and continuous.
This sounds great, thanks for the responses.

Starting to see the big picture...

JackHerer

Screens look incredible. Hopefully it is eventually released on PC. Multiplayer sounds interesting and pretty fun. Can't wait.

broony

So a while ago someone in an interview mentioned that the maximum size for a location was 2km by 2km. So does that mean that say Mars will be a maximum of 2km by 2km or will there be multiple areas up to that size that are 'stitched together' to make one 'mega location'.

HTupolev

I'm sure you won't answer this, but are these connected areas more on the scale of Skyrim or Forge World?
IIRC, they said that a typical planet environment might be about 2/3rds the size of Reach's campaign, though obviously that's not a very well-defined statement.

I would assume you hop into a "ship" and there's some sort of animation/loading screen to go to another planet at the very least.

OneUh8

If you guys have not listened to the podcast yet, please do. So great and I am really hyped now lol. Tons of great information and good insight on what this game is really about.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
I'm feeling so conflicted. I love the art style; it looks like a universe I want to explore and see more of. I'm worried that the kind of game it is won't capture my attention though.

To be fair, I'm basing this purely on my experience with Borderlands. I LOVED the style of it, but just found playing the game boring. A lot of that was because I only wanted to play it single player... which is why I'm getting so many similar vibes with Destiny.

Ah well, here's hoping...

Cse

Banned
Is Destiny a true open world MMO?

Or are the various worlds just instanced "maps" that are accessible from a main menu?

KoopaTheCasual

Is Destiny a true open world MMO?

Or are the various worlds just instanced "maps" that are accessible from a main menu?
Since they said you wouldn't be able to manually pilot your customized spacecraft, I'm going to assume they're separate worlds aka maps. Luckily, someone just confirmed that each planet is a continuous environment. That's really exciting to hear.
This sounds great, thanks for the responses.

Starting to see the big picture...
Yea, starting to feel a little bit of hype by the implications, myself. But ugh, I hate the online aspect, since I've never been one for Live or PS+. But if the story is really engaging and that lore lives up to Bungie quality, I'm gonna have to buy this.

Top Bottom