• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny - New Screenshots

Woorloog

Banned
- "We're not making Halo again..."

Bungie, pls understand

It ain't Halo, that much is clear from gameplay vids and other info.
It reminds me of Reach though, and i do not think Reach as a Halo. It lacks what makes other Halos as fun as they're. Destiny seems to be lacking the exact same thing.

1271965669-00.jpg
Well, I liked bloom as a mechanic and as a way of modeling a weapon's inherent accuracy. I wonder if we'll see it here after all the complaints about it in Reach.

Woorloog

Banned
Well, I liked bloom as a mechanic and as a way of modeling a weapon's inherent accuracy. I wonder if we'll see it here after all the complaints about it in Reach.

Bloom existed in Halo before Reach actually. It was just amplified to insane (for Halo) levels for Reach. And Reach was the first game to have reticule to be animated for bloom visualization.
And we have seen Destiny to have the same mechanic already. It is used practically always with ADS.

I summarized (in detail) a lot more about PVP:

Lars Bakken (sp?) gave out most of the info:

- On GameInformer: "Lots of things we weren't ready to talk about." Talked high level, but didn't want to commit to things that were incomplete or incorrect.

- Finally at a place where Bungie can finally start being concrete and letting external people play PvP. So far feedback has been positive.

- Lars is excited to see how the story mission are coming together. Got to play them (using the winter build). Was really good and Marty's music was amazing as always.

- Lars played the "raid stuff" with Luke Smith. Can't mention much, but when he plays all the different activities they all really come together. They talk about an "experience for every mood."

- Talk about "balance" comes up - Lars says "we're not making Halo again. That should be exciting for people." The combat sandbox is pretty different, the way it feels and move is kinda familiar, but the moves, nades and build, are much different.

- Your build gives you a unique way to approach a game based on the gametype and map.

- At first glance it seems chaotic and confusing, but the execution is actually pretty simple.

- The hunter, for example, will be on the outskirts and picking people off. So if you want to counter, you should be a close range guy and close the gap.

- A titan smashes you in close range or wait for you to come to them. So there are different skills and play styles depending on your build.

- Blink is harder to use than double jump, but more skillful and useful in combat.

- Skill isn't just about thumbs, but building your character and using it properly. It affects how you navigate maps and holding the "powerful" positions of the map.

- Certain gametypes focus on holding "powerful positions." You have to consider defensive techniques based on what enemies might use.

- Mentions an "arc blade"

- It's not about players being higher level, it's about learning the map and your character. Apparently the "level" doesn't make you more powerful.

- In halo "I'm really streaky, but I'm more consistent in Destiny." Found themselves being more strategic so they can unlock supers and help the team anymore. You can't die and accelerate your loss.

- Destiny is a game that blends "skill" and "tactics."

- Arc prox grenade is a proximity mine that attaches to a surface and shoots out electrical damage 4 separate times. Might not get kills with it, but it hurts enemies and allows you to finish them or force them to go a different direction.

- Map design - they really wanted to make them predictable even with all the different movement modes. Still highly predictable if you understand the systems.

- Satisfying to connect with a "super" but also satisfying to make people "miss their supers."

- Someone is in super power mode and you can still shut them down and it "feels so good."

- "Balance" comes up as a major issue.

- Talks about how the term "balance" gets thrown around when someone doesn't like something or isn't good at something.

- Lars is asked what should the audience know when they think about "balance" in Bungie. Lars responds with "Something can be powerful as long as it can be countered or get around it."

- On day one of Destiny, based on the community response, bets are people are going to be 75% hunter. "I'm gonna be a leet sniper!" lulz.

- People are going to be debating and trying different builds to figure out what works with the prevailing strategies and teamwork, etc. And a few weeks later the community will adapt to that tactic and people will then counter that tactic with a different team build. It's a constant rock, paper, scissors.

- Jump, slide, etc. are mentioned as ways to evade getting shot. Slide is incredibly useful for breaking the line of sight.

- When you use your movement modes (double jump,etc.) you put yourself in "weapon down." You make a choice. You can glide, but you can't just sit in the air and fire at people. You have to decide.

- Regarding map design - really prioritized making maps work well with vertical movements without making it cheap or exploitative.

- Map called "rooftops" with a big dynamic fan on it.

- Maps are made specifically for competitive multiplayer. Different place than the "public events."

- Competitive is a big switch from the rest of the game. It switches from "all players are united to defend the galaxy" to "die you motherfucker." In other words, you can't get attacked from other players unless you choose to play competitive.

Lars responds with "Something can be powerful as long as it can be countered or get around it."
Which is good if its a matter of a tactic that can be used as a counter and less good if its a build you need to counter. In the first case it comes down to player skill during a match and how well a player can read the situation and adapt their firing and movement to compensate, and in the second it comes down to team coordination and rock/paper/scissors situations where what you spawn as determines more of what you're capable of.

And after playing a lot of Battlefield and Killzone lately I have next to zero expectations when it comes to team coordination. People suck, and doubly so if there are XP systems and challenges and trophies driving them to suck even more for fleeting personal gain.

I wonder how long until we can see what a full match plays like? Yeah, I know. A long time. ;p

Thanks for the writeup!

broony

So glad hey are not doing 'Halo' multiplayer again. I hope it is so far away from Halo that we don't even get comparisons from it. We need some Bungie freshness, something new all over again.

I think for me though co-op is going to be where its at.

I'm expecting competitive to be a complete clusterfuck. If you thought the random feeling of Halo 4 was bad, never knowing what AA/perk/starting weapon your opponent had, just wait til Destiny PvP drops

Amir0x

Banned
Details sound interesting, but I'm a little weirded out by how defensive he seemed over the balance question. I hope I'm just reading too much into that.

Servbot24

Banned
I don't like FPS or MMO games yet somehow this one looks appealing to me. If the reviews are good I may give it a shot.
after I'm done with Dark Souls II

Woorloog

Banned
I don't like FPS or MMO games yet somehow this one looks appealing to me. If the reviews are good I may give it a shot.
after I'm done with Dark Souls II

I don't doubt it will have good reviews. It seems to be a game that will be technically and conceptually solid, and execution probably will be very good too. It is a Bungie game after all, and even Reach is objectively thinking good game.
But that doesn't mean it will be fun. And to me, the fun is lacking at the moment. It appeals to the explorer in me but...

charsace

I remember when this game was considered ugly. How things have changed. Hope the shooting is more like Shadowrun than Halo.

Really looking forward the game but cant help being a tiny bit disapointed of the shiny Halo-esque look of the game now compared to the original artwork who were a bit more gritty. I think the design suffer from it, being way to close from Halo now, hell, it's a new franchise and the overall design looks fantastic, why not stick to the og artworks instead of going for the Halo bloom/shine ?

Ghazi

This game!!!! I wish it (probably) wouldn't suck on the 360/PS3 in comparison to next gen because it looks so good!!!!

Really looking forward the game but cant help being a tiny bit disapointed of the shiny Halo-esque look of the game now compared to the original artwork who were a bit more gritty. I think the design suffer from it, being way to close from Halo now, hell, it's a new franchise and the overall design looks fantastic, why not stick to the og artworks instead of going for the Halo bloom/shine ?

Well, they did deviate a lot from the graphics and art style of previous Halo games in Reach, and one could think they might have continued with that if they stayed at the helm. 343i seems to be intending to continue with their Halo 4 aesthetics (which are nice, imo)!

So, we would not have gotten more of this from Halo. I like the style a lot, the colors are vibrant and beautiful, the environments are detailed and look fairly large in scope. It all works out, and I'm personally glad they went with this style, it would've come out more similar to Reach if it had been gritty.

I will be playing Co-op with this game, It's the game im most looking too, And i like how u can easily switch between competing against the the game then if you want compete against other players.

Im digging Warframe at the minute and its particuarly great when the team work together so Destiny truly could be something special if they can pull it off.

Overdoziz

Banned
I actually love how clean and colorful it looks, especially after how bland Reach's aesthetics were 90% of the time.

KOHIPEET

Do we know if players will be able to ride vehicles in competitive MP?

As a big Bungie fan and PS4 owner, that would make me wet.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Yeah. Apparently things happen differently at night.

Loved the latest podcast Urk, really interesting conversations. Would love to hear about A.I. soon.

Yeah, I'm going to try to rope someone in for the next show to talk combatants. Busy team, the enemy variety is nuts, but I think it would make for a really cool conversation.

woah, as i clicked on this thread i heard "destiny" from my speakers (listening to a song that happens to include the word in the lyrics). IS IT A SIGN

This game already looks infinitely better than Halo 4 because of the skyboxes.

those are some mighty fine skyboxes for sure. it's such an underappreciated art, skyboxes. every game needs awesome skyboxes.

Damn, it's a bad thing when you post something you think is new, but it turns out it was already posted just a page before. :(

Forever second

Hey, you got beat out by a Bungie employee, that's not bad.

Details sound interesting, but I'm a little weirded out by how defensive he seemed over the balance question. I hope I'm just reading too much into that.

Could easily be my writing. I'd encourage you to listen to it (unless you did).

at the moment, alien: isolation

Looks fantastic! But why would you expect a game like this to be that? Same reason I don't complain that DriveClub doesn't look exciting because it's not The Order 1886.

Urk, it'd be awesome if you could talk about scale along with enemy combatants. In other words, can we expect large number of enemies or is this game more focused on small encounters?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Looks fantastic! But why would you expect a game like this to be that? Same reason I don't complain that DriveClub doesn't look exciting because it's not The Order 1886.

i...wouldn't expect a game like this to look like that? you asked me what i find exciting at the moment and i answered.

i...wouldn't expect a game like this to look like that? you asked me what i find exciting at the moment and i answered.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be insulting. I guess I just didn't understand disparaging comments about the game the thread is about and saying other unrelated genres are what you're looking for. I guess I was just wondering, why post in this thread then?

But it's not my call, wasn't trying to start anything. Apologies.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

Lars Bakken (sp?) gave out most of the info:

- On GameInformer: "Lots of things we weren't ready to talk about." Talked high level, but didn't want to commit to things that were incomplete or incorrect.

- Finally at a place where Bungie can finally start being concrete and letting external people play PvP. So far feedback has been positive.

- Lars is excited to see how the story mission are coming together. Got to play them (using the winter build). Was really good and Marty's music was amazing as always.

- Lars played the "raid stuff" with Luke Smith. Can't mention much, but when he plays all the different activities they all really come together. They talk about an "experience for every mood."

- Talk about "balance" comes up - Lars says "we're not making Halo again. That should be exciting for people." The combat sandbox is pretty different, the way it feels and move is kinda familiar, but the moves, nades and build, are much different.

- Your build gives you a unique way to approach a game based on the gametype and map.

- At first glance it seems chaotic and confusing, but the execution is actually pretty simple.

- The hunter, for example, will be on the outskirts and picking people off. So if you want to counter, you should be a close range guy and close the gap.

- A titan smashes you in close range or wait for you to come to them. So there are different skills and play styles depending on your build.

- Blink is harder to use than double jump, but more skillful and useful in combat.

- Skill isn't just about thumbs, but building your character and using it properly. It affects how you navigate maps and holding the "powerful" positions of the map.

- Certain gametypes focus on holding "powerful positions." You have to consider defensive techniques based on what enemies might use.

- Mentions an "arc blade"

- It's not about players being higher level, it's about learning the map and your character. Apparently the "level" doesn't make you more powerful.

- In halo "I'm really streaky, but I'm more consistent in Destiny." Found themselves being more strategic so they can unlock supers and help the team anymore. You can't die and accelerate your loss.

- Destiny is a game that blends "skill" and "tactics."

- Arc prox grenade is a proximity mine that attaches to a surface and shoots out electrical damage 4 separate times. Might not get kills with it, but it hurts enemies and allows you to finish them or force them to go a different direction.

- Map design - they really wanted to make them predictable even with all the different movement modes. Still highly predictable if you understand the systems.

- Satisfying to connect with a "super" but also satisfying to make people "miss their supers."

- Someone is in super power mode and you can still shut them down and it "feels so good."

- "Balance" comes up as a major issue.

- Talks about how the term "balance" gets thrown around when someone doesn't like something or isn't good at something.

- Lars is asked what should the audience know when they think about "balance" in Bungie. Lars responds with "Something can be powerful as long as it can be countered or get around it."

- On day one of Destiny, based on the community response, bets are people are going to be 75% hunter. "I'm gonna be a leet sniper!" lulz.

- People are going to be debating and trying different builds to figure out what works with the prevailing strategies and teamwork, etc. And a few weeks later the community will adapt to that tactic and people will then counter that tactic with a different team build. It's a constant rock, paper, scissors.

- Jump, slide, etc. are mentioned as ways to evade getting shot. Slide is incredibly useful for breaking the line of sight.

- When you use your movement modes (double jump,etc.) you put yourself in "weapon down." You make a choice. You can glide, but you can't just sit in the air and fire at people. You have to decide.

- Regarding map design - really prioritized making maps work well with vertical movements without making it cheap or exploitative.

- Map called "rooftops" with a big dynamic fan on it.

- Maps are made specifically for competitive multiplayer. Different place than the "public events."

- Competitive is a big switch from the rest of the game. It switches from "all players are united to defend the galaxy" to "die you motherfucker." In other words, you can't get attacked from other players unless you choose to play competitive.
Thanks for the summary, gonna have to give this a listen. I'm so glad we're finally getting PvP info.

Top Bottom