• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT44| A Community in Discord

I loved the evolution and iterative nature of Destiny and look forward to continuing that evolution/experience with Destiny 2 which is easily my most looked forward to game and will continue to be my most played game (3000+ hours in game [4000+ counting orbit/social spaces] across 4 characters on Xbox [one deleted] and 1 on PS4).

Destiny 2 looks like a bigger, grander, more refined experience at the outset with attention supposedly paid to/focused on Patrol Exploration and generally more stuff to do like Lost Sectors, Public Events, Heroic Activities, Adventures, and Side Missions in addition to the tried and true Strikes and Raid to go along with big changes to the PvP side of things and hopefully their best and most significant Story Campaign.

Edit: And that's not to say that I thought/think everything was great with Destiny throughout it's evolution up to this point as I've had complaints just like every other player but the overall experience is still second to none for me. It just means Bungie and any other developer isn't catering to just one player, group, or community and never will.

With that, I did think they might add more elemental properties to the game like (gasp) poison and ice while also adding a system in how the elementals react to one another and the environment while maybe adding another class and a totally new subclass for each existing class. However, if they can tweak and rebuild each existing subclass and make them as balanced and viable across as many game modes as possible I'm fine with that too.

My biggest complaints were always the patrol play-spaces and the activities or lack of that you could do in them so I'm really looking forward to the bigger and seemingly more varied play-spaces where we'll be experiencing stuff like Lost Sectors, Adventures, etc while they hopefully continue to add playlists and different ways to keep old/existing content fresh on a weekly basis through modifiers, difficulty, rewards, etc.
I agree with every point, but I don't know what this has to do with my post. I'm talking to the people who hate Destiny for not being totally different game.

I agree with every point, but I don't know what this has to do with my post. I'm talking to the people who hate Destiny for not being totally different game.

Was just referring to this basically...

EVERYONE wants to love Destiny, but they actually want a totally different game. It's crazy, and I can't explain it.

...and reiterating that I liked the evolution of the original game and seemingly the focus concerning Destiny 2 on making the play-spaces larger with more stuff for the player to experience while keeping the tried and true formula of strikes and the raid experience while also making considerable changes to the game as well across different modes of play.

Damn I actually want to play 60fps on PC, but I might be holding off on building a PC due to my money situation.

I'm also worried about Gaf community, cause it would be fun to play with ya'll on PS4. Unless everyone here is switching to PC lol

sn00zer

Back for more questions:
-We are about to finish up the final strikes in vanilla destiny and are around level 26ish. If we start moving into the expansions are we just going to destroy everything and it be fairly boring since it looks like recommended levels are around 14?

-In general how does level scaling work? If we're level 26 and play a level 14 story do we just need to look at an enemy to blow them away or is there some sort of scaling at play?

WeTeHa

Back for more questions:
-We are about to finish up the final strikes in vanilla destiny and are around level 26ish. If we start moving into the expansions are we just going to destroy everything and it be fairly boring since it looks like recommended levels are around 14?

-In general how does level scaling work? If we're level 26 and play a level 14 story do we just need to look at an enemy to blow them away or is there some sort of scaling at play?

I think your damage output is scaled down significantly. Also, the damage you take doesn't change much. In Destiny the advantage you have from being overleveled is significantly smaller than the punishment you get when you are underleveled.

It'll be a little bit easier - but you won't really feel like you are incredibly overpowered.
at lvl 40, the damage a lvl 2 enemy and a level 20 enemy do to you is essentially the same.

Also... jesus christ at the people complaining on gaming side. So much negativity and plain stupidity...

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
People already made up their minds about the game no matter your argument. This is something I learned after defending the game 999999999999999996 times. Just use reverse psychology at this point and have fun with them.

I can see why people are annoyed that it looks like more of an expansion than a new game. The new planets look identical except for colour pallet. Perhaps the full game will explore completely different atmospheres.

Shiv47

I love what i saw in Destiny 2... and they said that we wont run out of content. Best news ever... bring it on!!

I honestly find this hard to believe, given the rate at which Destiny's hardcore players buzzsaw through content. Would love to be proven wrong!

I honestly find this hard to believe, given the rate at which Destiny's hardcore players buzzsaw through content. Would love to be proven wrong!

I agree but at the very least we should get events in year 1 this time and that should help people not get that bored before the expansion pass stuff drops.

otakukidd

So I think since the move to 4 v 4 there is now a hole in multiplayer (playing with friends not just pvp). There's nothing to do with 5 people anymore. 1-3 has strikes and multiplayer, 4 has multiplayer and 6 has raids. With destiny 1 you could still do multiplayer. Just thought it was kinda weird. Maybe they finally allow us to have 6 people on patrol. Would be cool if there was events or quests that required more 3 people to do on a patrol.

Dez_

Yeah, people tend to devour new content pretty quickly. I'm more concerned about all the past issues Bungie had with their engine in regards to making new stuff for players to do. I hope they were able to improve on the development side of things, because it sure looked like they struggled to keep up with the increasing demand for new content and things to do.

shingi70

Banned
I always assumed Destiny 1.5 was the Taken King.

Dunno, but Destiny is a weird one where a lot of people especially on Gaf seems to hate the game, despite it being incredulity popular and not only selling well but keeping a pretty sizable population.

Even gaming Journos can be weirdly dismissive about the game.

So I think since the move to 4 v 4 there is now a hole in multiplayer (playing with friends not just pvp). There's nothing to do with 5 people anymore. 1-3 has strikes and multiplayer, 4 has multiplayer and 6 has raids. With destiny 1 you could still do multiplayer. Just thought it was kinda weird. Maybe they finally allow us to have 6 people on patrol. Would be cool if there was events or quests that required more 3 people to do on a patrol.

There's always a chance that later down the road they could have a "btb" kinda mode.

Or who knows, maybe they haven't revealed a Warzone-type mode from Halo 5. If you're not familiar, it's basically a mix of PVE and PVP, where two teams fight, and AI drop and need to be killed as well.

Honestly, it could work REALLY well with Destiny's enemy variety

sn00zer

I think your damage output is scaled down significantly. Also, the damage you take doesn't change much. In Destiny the advantage you have from being overleveled is significantly smaller than the punishment you get when you are underleveled.

It'll be a little bit easier - but you won't really feel like you are incredibly overpowered.
at lvl 40, the damage a lvl 2 enemy and a level 20 enemy do to you is essentially the same.

Also... jesus christ at the people complaining on gaming side. So much negativity and plain stupidity...
Thanks but confusing at this point I'm not even sure if stats matter at all as long as your gear is at your level

WeTeHa

Thanks but confusing at this point I'm not even sure if stats matter at all as long as your gear is at your level

Light level is essentially just a number-barrier that locks content if the number is too low. Once you hit that number it doesn't matter anymore. Other than that it really doesn't do a lot. It used to suck with the infusion model from taken king, but nowadays it really is just a mostly meaningless number. Reaching 400 is super easy anyway (especially compared to the 320 max of taken king).

You mean the 3 stats in your skilltree like armor? Well, they don't have a really big influence either (at least in pve). In pvp they matter a little bit more, but with the nerfed tripmines and stuff even in pvp it only matters in high level play.

sn00zer

Light level is essentially just a number-barrier that locks content if the number is too low. Once you hit that number it doesn't matter anymore. Other than that it really doesn't do a lot. It used to suck with the infusion model from taken king, but nowadays it really is just a mostly meaningless number. Reaching 400 is super easy anyway (especially compared to the 320 max of taken king).

You mean the 3 stats in your skilltree like armor? Well, they don't have a really big influence either (at least in pve). In pvp they matter a little bit more, but with the nerfed tripmines and stuff even in pvp it only matters in high level play.

Thanks for the explanation....now to wait for a sale on the complete collection

EDIT: I meant light level and (general level?) and all the weapons stats and armor ans such....

dh4niel

Unless I can miraculously get 5 people to do all the raids with, I'm done with Destiny 1 now. None of my Destiny GAF buddys haven't been online for awhile but neither have I too be fair. :/

This is sexy as fuck.
rY5mCRJ_d.jpg

X-Frame

I'm not sure how I feel about how essentially there is less sub-class customization now.

For example, see Datto's newest video on the redesigned Striker sub-class.

https://youtu.be/ei04d29_yFI

Apparently you will only have 2 choices for the meat of the sub-class abilities. Either 1 full tree of 4 abilities or another separate tree or another 4 abilities. But you can't mix and match them. I don't really like that.

Bungie's World Director On 'Destiny 2' Patrols, Adventures, and Dungeons
Before, you had Patrols to do – you could do some encounters and public events, but you didn't know where the public events were going to happen. You didn't know when they were going to happen. In order to make all that feel better, we wanted to give you a map that actually meant something, that you could use to find stuff. We've done that.

In addition to patrols, we've added Adventures, which I talked about onstage. I don't think I did them enough justice, though. They're 10-to-15-minute-long missions with narrative and dialogue and they take you to new places and they do new things – new mechanics.

Then there's Lost Sectors, which are like dungeons where, occasionally, as you're wandering around the world, you see a symbol etched on some wall and you know you're close to an entrance of some kind. Then you get to go – no matter what activity you're on – you can just go into this Lost Sector and go find a boss, kill it, and get some sweet treasure.

I've watched the reveal trailer like hundred times today. I just love seeing the Vanguard actually use the powers we have been using for three years.

BTW: how do I get added to the wall of shame?

responding to a couple of posts up about the xbox clan...I hope we can all get something working this time.

Back in OT1 I think there were something like 30-40 clans setup with multiple across Europe and the US (and elsewhere) because of the cap at 100.

Then a large chunk of those people disappeared and the original clans didnt really work. The vast majority of PS players then used the OT's for chat, AND matchmaking, but the Xbox side never really got going. So there wasn't really many Xbox options through Year 1/2.

I think this time around we may struggle the other way, with too many options. There is Bungie's own clans, the Xbox clan system AND there is an Xbox list on the Destiny discord server.

I think the Xbox clan system may be best, as the numbers are uncapped, and then as a rush of people inevitably drop off after a couple of weeks, we can condense people down into a more manageable number of Bungie-specific clans, based on the over-arching Xbox clan.

Obviously whatever system gets used, will be the one to go for...I just worry we'll end up with random groups of people on different systems and not get a critical mass.

For what it's worth - someone here already has "DestinyGAF" registered as an Xbox clan, and I have DGAF registered as a backup (I'm the only 1 in it currently). I'd suggest sticking/expanding with that group rather than starting a "Destiny2GAF" clan...unless whoever has the current one doesn't want the significant hassle of admin-ing a group of a few hundred people. (Off the top of my head there were 20+ Destiny clans of 100 each at OG launch).

Dalek

Anyone up for doing a Raid or two tonight? I need to do all of them for my Triumphs still and I'm finally getting some alone time tonight so I can tackle it. Maybe around 5pm PST?

mhayze

Overall I'm pretty excited about Destiny 2. The PC version is super exciting, especially the high frame rate stuff. I read / watched several of the "PC impression" pieces out there, but I'm still a little concerned with how big the PC Destiny 2 community will be. I may end up buying both PS4 + PC which is a real rarity for me - it's been a loooong time since I double dipped on 2 platforms "of the same generation". Resident Evil 4 is the last on I remember (portable and retro games notwithstanding).

Some musings on the D2 reveal info:

• 4v4 PVP across the board is interesting, and when combined with the devs comments on tweaks to matchmaking and the lack of dedicated servers, I think this is just acknowledgment of the limitations of peer to peer gameplay. It's just hard to find 12 players with compatible ping amongst the lot of them AND skill-match. Limit it to 4 v 4 and there are more groups overall for the same player population plus fewer combinations with bad ping
  • I wonder if the game engine will run at "30 tick" or "60 tick" for PC - particularly in crucible, even if the framerate is lower or higher. In some PC multiplayer games, the game engine locks at one rate regardless of the actual client framerate, to keep things even, predictable and fair. In peer to peer, usually 1 or 2 players are the "master" and things need to be done to keep them from having an overly large advantage over the others, since variable frame rate means calculating hit detection can get extra dodgy
  • I wonder if Scorpio will be > 30fps. The devs said that PS4 Pro is 30fps mainly due to CPU limitations, not because of the GPU (or not just because of the GPU). I know Scorpio has 'tweaked' CPU cores, but I'm not sure if that is enough to deal with whatever the CPU bottlenecks were for PS4 pro @ 60fps
  • I know it's early for content predictions, but I heard 1 raid for sure, plus 4 'planets', similar to vanilla Destiny. What this potentially means is that there will be fewer things to do in Destiny 2 than current D1 - almost inevitable after a clean slate wipe, however, a lot of the criticism of the vanilla game was in the amount of "unique" content, I personally felt there was a lot to do, but not enough for people trying to rush through the single player campaign exactly once and then call it a day
    and come onto the forums to complain about a 4 hour game length
    I don't know how long the single player campaign and strikes are, but I doubt it will be more than 10 hours in length, so I expect more of those complaints. For myself, I am expecting the same amount of content as vanilla D1, and will only be disappointed if there's less than that OR if it takes a really long time to see the DLCs
  • The guided games / clan stuff sounds great. Good compromise between trying to find a group when needed and still avoiding the frustration of playing with randoms using a total bind matchmaking system like the strike playlist

There's been a few tech inclined Gaffers in the thread about Bungie saying Pro limited to 30fps due to the CPU that have explained that Scorpio won't be able to do it either since the difference in performance between the two systems CPU's is negligible in terms of frame rate impact. Or something like that.

Arrrammis

Overall I'm pretty excited about Destiny 2. The PC version is super exciting, especially the high frame rate stuff. I read / watched several of the "PC impression" pieces out there, but I'm still a little concerned with how big the PC Destiny 2 community will be. I may end up buying both PS4 + PC which is a real rarity for me - it's been a loooong time since I double dipped on 2 platforms "of the same generation". Resident Evil 4 is the last on I remember (portable and retro games notwithstanding).

Some musings on the D2 reveal info:

• 4v4 PVP across the board is interesting, and when combined with the devs comments on tweaks to matchmaking and the lack of dedicated servers, I think this is just acknowledgment of the limitations of peer to peer gameplay. It's just hard to find 12 players with compatible ping amongst the lot of them AND skill-match. Limit it to 4 v 4 and there are more groups overall for the same player population plus fewer combinations with bad ping
  • I wonder if the game engine will run at "30 tick" or "60 tick" for PC - particularly in crucible, even if the framerate is lower or higher. In some PC multiplayer games, the game engine locks at one rate regardless of the actual client framerate, to keep things even, predictable and fair. In peer to peer, usually 1 or 2 players are the "master" and things need to be done to keep them from having an overly large advantage over the others, since variable frame rate means calculating hit detection can get extra dodgy
  • I wonder if Scorpio will be > 30fps. The devs said that PS4 Pro is 30fps mainly due to CPU limitations, not because of the GPU (or not just because of the GPU). I know Scorpio has 'tweaked' CPU cores, but I'm not sure if that is enough to deal with whatever the CPU bottlenecks were for PS4 pro @ 60fps

[*]I know it's early for content predictions, but I heard 1 raid for sure, plus 4 'planets', similar to vanilla Destiny. What this potentially means is that there will be fewer things to do in Destiny 2 than current D1 - almost inevitable after a clean slate wipe, however, a lot of the criticism of the vanilla game was in the amount of "unique" content, I personally felt there was a lot to do, but not enough for people trying to rush through the single player campaign exactly once and then call it a day
    and come onto the forums to complain about a 4 hour game length
    I don't know how long the single player campaign and strikes are, but I doubt it will be more than 10 hours in length, so I expect more of those complaints. For myself, I am expecting the same amount of content as vanilla D1, and will only be disappointed if there's less than that OR if it takes a really long time to see the DLCs

• The guided games / clan stuff sounds great. Good compromise between trying to find a group when needed and still avoiding the frustration of playing with randoms using a total bind matchmaking system like the strike playlist

On the content part, I think that the difference will be the smaller content, like the quests, NPC missions, patrol activities, etc.. Destiny launched with just the story missions, bounties, and patrols. The raid didn't even come out until a few weeks after release IIRC. If Destiny had launched with all of the small content hat Destiny has now (hidden endings to missions, quest chains, more public events like the Wolves or the Taken, Weekly Strike Playlist, etc.), I think the reception would have been much better, which is what I'm really interested in seeing in Destiny 2.

Xater

There's been a few tech inclined Gaffers in the thread about Bungie saying Pro limited to 30fps due to the CPU that have explained that Scorpio won't be able to do it either since the difference in performance between the two systems CPU's is negligible in terms of frame rate impact. Or something like that.

And in top of that they probably don't want the Scorpio owners to have a significant advantage over normal Xbox One users.

Mengetsu

yrmMP8o.jpg

Saw this on reddit.

Digital content that comes with limited, Digital Deluxe and Collector's Edition of D2.

The sword, emblem and the emote.

CLBridges

I really hope the rumors about cross-save being worked on is true. I'd like to take a shot at building my 1st PC for the superior version, but won't leave PS4. Make it happen Bungie.

FiraB

Banned
yrmMP8o.jpg

Saw this on reddit.

Digital content that comes with limited, Digital Deluxe and Collector's Edition of D2.

The sword, emblem and the emote.
Damn you know they didnt talk about transmog, that would have been a great addition to the series. Keep it off weapons but certain for armor it would have been great.

Give reason to even get these stupid preorder digital items and limited run eververse items.

Dave_6

I love the fact of finally being able to run a HC and a scout at the same time without having to go into the menu and switch them out. Just press triangle now!

Kalamari

I wonder if the new grenade launcher will operate like the pro-pipe from Reach. As in releasing the trigger to detonate.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
No they're not. What gave you that impression?

If you are into fighting games, stuff that requires very low input lag or none at all, yes. Even the very best OLEDs suffer from it. The KS8000 seems to be the best consensus in terms of input lag but picture quality is not nearly as good as OLEDs and various other tvs of it's class. If I were to spend that much on an OLED it better be top tier in everything.

Kyoufu

If you are into fighting games, stuff that requires very low input lag or none at all, yes. Even the very best OLEDs suffer from it. The KS8000 seems to be the best consensus in terms of input lag but picture quality is not nearly as good as OLEDs and various other tvs of it's class. If I were to spend that much on an OLED it better be top tier in everything.

I have good news for you. The 2017 LG OLEDs have the same input lag as the KS8000 which is 21ms.

They also support 4:4:4 chroma in 4K so it's ideal for your PS4 Pro/Scorpio/PC/whatever.

CallMeTy

Neo Member
I have good news for you. The 2017 LG OLEDs have the same input lag as the KS8000 which is 21ms.

They also support 4:4:4 chroma in 4K so it's ideal for your PS4 Pro/Scorpio/PC/whatever.

pwnt.gif

Just read the RTings on this thing, it's damn near perfect for everything I'm looking for a TV right now. I might be buying this soon I've been wanting to finally get a new TV for a long time too... thanks for putting me on.

Top Bottom