• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT44| A Community in Discord

LTWood12

Is Bad Juju worth it with Xur this week? I'm a fan of Pulse Rifles. Just picked up a good roll Parthian Shot from the Vanguard Quartermaster last week though.

Definitely get it.

Edit:my first top of page in ages. Can't wait to try out Sentinel next month. So glad Ward of Dawn is coming back.

Njg3ODc4OWFmNiMvVDVjMEdGYzdFdWpMZUR2U0ttUUhhYzBUVnpRPS9maXQtaW4vOTAweDkwMC9maWx0ZXJzOm5vX3Vwc2NhbGUoKTpxdWFsaXR5KDgwKS9odHRwOi8vaW1hZ2VzLm1pYy5jb20vbHFjdmM3c3h2djFwaWMwb2MybWRxaDlqZ3J0eGhtb2x2bDdnNDF1eHJ1N3drNnM3a2R4bmpsaWxvaHA4ZzR3bi5naWY.gif

Is there a hidden cooldown on Obsidian Mind? There's a couple of places where a zillion threats spawn (Lost to Light mission)-- bombed ten of them, instant super again-- immediately hit another ten and zero super energy. Tried this twice a year ago, said screw it and went back to Nothing Manacles for most PvE.

Mindwipe

Is there a newbie raid any time any more? I've never done WOTM, and I'd love to actually get it done while it's featured this week.

I'm going to be on vacation when the beta comes out.

I really wanted to see what the changes to PVP felt like.

I think that's my biggest concern for Destiny 2. The current meta is just not enjoyable, and some of what I'm reading and seeing makes it seem like Destiny 2 will start with a similar philosophy for PvP balance.

Shiv47

Is there a hidden cooldown on Obsidian Mind? There's a couple of places where a zillion threats spawn (Lost to Light mission)-- bombed ten of them, instant super again-- immediately hit another ten and zero super energy. Tried this twice a year ago, said screw it and went back to Nothing Manacles for most PvE.

Some people said it was stealth nerfed a while back, but this was never confirmed, far as I know.

Magik

I pray that Bungie does not put anything that forces you to play PVP in a certain way for questlines, Gunsmith bounties or anything else. Crucible is 10x worse when it happens.

So I was watching Gigz and he was doing a Trials run with Goth. They kept mentioning "all six subclasses" in conversation... is D2 really going to launch without the TTK subclasses?

Gragen

So I was watching Gigz and he was doing a Trials run with Goth. They kept mentioning "all six subclasses" in conversation... is D2 really going to launch without the TTK subclasses?

I watched the same stream but I was under the impression they were talking about only 6 subclasses in the beta?

I watched the same stream but I was under the impression they were talking about only 6 subclasses in the beta?

They had a pretty in depth conversation about what each class would bring to PvE gameplay and how Hunter doesn't seem to bring anything to the table compared to rifts/barriers. I dunno, maybe they somehow forgot about TTK subclasses but to talk in such absolute terms about the raid and what kind of classes they'd be bringing without bringing up Nightstalker at all is odd.

ramyeon

Damnit, I've been out of home all weekend and I think I missed Xur :( literally fired up the game as soon as I got home to grab stuff and he's gone.

Edit: Yep, missed him by exactly one hour fml.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Gawd dammit. Me and a friend failed all day at Aksis challenge just to try for the Chaos Dogma adept then we find out it can also drop at Vosik challenge. >_<

vid

I'm sitting at 389 light and I've never run WOTM before. Should I try to get a group together to do the standard one first? Or should I just go ahead and try to get a group for the fancy 390 version at this point?

Edit: Make that 390. Rahool saw fit to give me a nice exotic chest just now. Looking into it, it doesn't seem like the 390 raid actually changes much besides overall difficulty, so... anyone down for Wrath?

Trakan

There was a leak the day before the reveal that said all 3 TTK subclasses were in but rebalanced. At this point nothing would surprise me but I think they'll be in the game.

rezn0r

As long as I'm home when he is available to do the raid I'm willing to help.

ditto, i should be home tonight (est) and tomorrow, will keep an eye on the thread

I'm sitting at 389 light and I've never run WOTM before. Should I try to get a group together to do the standard one first? Or should I just go ahead and try to get a group for the fancy 390 version at this point?

you should join in Hawkians if he gets it going for Mindwipe

:p

vid

ditto, i should be home tonight (est) and tomorrow, will keep an eye on the thread

Fair! I'll keep an eye on the thread today and see if/when it happens (and if they'll have me!).

daedalius

That would be super disappointing.

I can't imagine they won't release all 3 subclasses for each class at launch.

They're probably just holding them back so they have stuff to show at gamescom, etc.

Kinda hoping they redesign the Sunbreaker to be more like the Arcstrider with a giant axe/hammer. So a super melee focused super that just bashes through waves of enemies instead of throwing exploding hammers.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Damnit, I've been out of home all weekend and I think I missed Xur :( literally fired up the game as soon as I got home to grab stuff and he's gone.

Edit: Yep, missed him by exactly one hour fml.

I had this happen to me with Ophidian Aspect about a month ago: rage quit the game for 2 weeks no kidding lol.

....of course, I came whimpering back though :)

The Jer

So... Prison of Elders is the only major activity I haven't done in this game. No, not TTK Prison of Elders, I've done that plenty. I mean the original one from House of Wolves. I'm really interested in playing Skolas and the other bosses. If anyone would be interested in joining me, let me know!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
As long as I'm home when he is available to do the raid I'm willing to help.

Edit: Make that 390. Rahool saw fit to give me a nice exotic chest just now. Looking into it, it doesn't seem like the 390 raid actually changes much besides overall difficulty, so... anyone down for Wrath?

Is there a newbie raid any time any more? I've never done WOTM, and I'd love to actually get it done while it's featured this week.

Fair! I'll keep an eye on the thread today and see if/when it happens (and if they'll have me!).
We should do this tonight guys. I'm going to offer 8:30ish EST if that works for people. We may have enough experienced people to do Hard, otherwise we can try normal +challenges. Mindwipe will you be available?

EL CUCO

Datto rant about D2 not having a ranked playlist, for the 10 of you that might find it interesting. Even thou am casul, I agree with his video.
https://youtu.be/UlWFX4vfn9w
Thought Slayerage makes a good point below
Sc_Slayerage on Reddit said:
I've said since a month after Destiny came out that Destiny should have a ranked playlist or two. However, as much as I would like that personally as a hardcore player (as would many others), Destiny has always been a game where the skill required to do the hardest things isn't super high.

I've come to accept there is a good reason for that. Destiny is just not a game that is designed to let hyper skillful players stand apart from the dedicated player base, and even though I don't really like that, I have come to terms with it. The reality is that a ton of players fall into the category of "dedicated," as in hundreds or thousands of hours played, but simply will never be as good as the ones who constantly try to push their skill levels to the limits. For most people, I would suspect that enjoying themselves trumps investing the thousands of hours that are necessary to be the best pvp player. Bungie's design philosophy creates an environment where dedicated players feel that they have done and seen it all, and they don't want to foster a community where those hyper skilled players run the show and create a "level of play" that the aforementioned dedicated players will never experience.

The most significant reason behind that philosophy is that the furthest reaches of the endgame will always get the most attention once everything else runs dry. Take for example Trials these days on Twitch - it's always been the most popular to watch because it demonstrates the most skill. Ranked playlists would make ranked pvp, in all likelihood, the most popular thing. The community would focus more on it, and we'd have a community less focused on fun and more on being the best. Not to be a total doomsayer, but I do think it is extremely likely that the Destiny community being the great place it is is due in *huge* part to Bungie preventing skilled players from running the show however they can. I feel it is very likely that, if ranked play were introduced, the Destiny community would look a lot more like the Overwatch community. For those of you who haven't experienced ranked Overwatch, it's really not that uncommon to get trash talked for a mistake in competitive play. It is a good game, but the community can't hold a candle to Destiny.

My point being: I fully understand their reticence with ranked play, and I too have concerns that if it were implemented without proper regard for how it will impact the player, it would do much more harm than good.

I don't agree with his statement that they are making sacrifices in pve to make the pvp experience be better, and I also think he makes it sound like too much of a foregone conclusion that better pvp balance should lead to ranked pvp. I think it's a bit silly to imply that improving something would somehow mean it needs to go a different direction.

Still, I do agree with the most driving point Datto makes throughout his video about following through and creating meaning behind the gameplay. Ranked or not, Datto is completely right about the need for more substance behind some game modes. Rankings may be the best solution, but I'd rather have a game where I can't stand out as much versus getting yelled at for not using my ult right. This is a topic Bungie has to be careful to do right.

vid

We should do this tonight guys. I'm going to offer 8:30ish EST if that works for people. We may have enough experienced people to do Hard, otherwise we can try normal +challenges. Mindwipe will you be available?

I'm in for either level! It's taken me forever to get around to WOTM, and I'm excited to see how Rise of Iron wraps up.

Frostburn

I'm available to run WotM at 8:30, I'll hope on a bit before and be ready to bring any class we need.

ramyeon

Ranked PVP invites toxicity. In my short time with Destiny I've been really impressed with the community and I would hate for anything to mess with that. It already happens a bit in PVP, ranked I feel would really exacerbate that.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Ever play fighters? Ranked with anything less than perfect connection is a no no. And we all know how bad Destiny is when it comes to running into bad connections. Someone with a bad connection can easily beat a better player. And despite people having bad connections you can't fault them unless they are doing it purposely somehow. Some people live far away, or they don't have the means to get better net, or running wireless, etc. You can't really tell. Basically Bungie would really have to step it up with their servers, netcode or whatever if they put in some ranked mode. A good idea is to see who you are going to play against and their connections beforehand, have all parties agree to it before beginning.

Frostburn

Ever play fighters? Ranked with anything less than perfect connection is a no no. And we all know how bad Destiny is when it comes to running into bad connections. Someone with a bad connection can easily beat a better player. And despite people having bad connections you can't fault them unless they are doing it purposely somehow. Some people live far away, or they don't have the means to get better net, or running wireless, etc. You can't really tell. Basically Bungie would really have to step it up with their servers, netcode or whatever if they put in some ranked mode. A good idea is to see who you are going to play against and their connections beforehand, have all parties agree to it before beginning.
I agree with this, unless you have a way of matching up people with super ideal connections and equal skill it becomes very hard to do competitive ranked play fairly.

FyreWulff

I gave up on playing fighters online because people would keep backing out with less than lowest ping. So fucking pointless to even try and play it online. I can see why most the activity is in person tournaments still

The only fighter I play online is Smash and that's because people just want to have fun in that one even with the lag

Top Bottom