• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT44| A Community in Discord

Well, you get called a shit-poster if you ever criticize Destiny while actively being a part of the community, especially when it comes to Destiny 2.

I can see how it might seem that way if for whatever reason you might be hard to distinguish from the "I played destiny in the beta and it was trash and it's still trash now oh and also Destiny 2 can suck a lemon out of my grandmother's anus"-types. One's previous participation gives context to current comments; even if context is merely familiarity— there's a lot more negative reaction to criticism from (perceived/actual) outsiders than the in-group.

Dineren

Banned
Probably a stupid question, but is it very difficult to get flawless raider nowadays? I had long given up on it, but as I've been finishing up everything else I want to do before D2, it kind of bugs me that I don't have the platinum. I saw a youtube video about soloing the Crota raid that looked like it'd be fun to try, but apparently they made it more difficult after the age of triumph update.

Just wasn't sure if it was even worth trying to find a group for it, I'm probably an average player at best so if it's too difficult I don't want to waste their time.

Shiv47

Probably a stupid question, but is it very difficult to get flawless raider nowadays? I had long given up on it, but as I've been finishing up everything else I want to do before D2, it kind of bugs me that I don't have the platinum. I saw a youtube video about soloing the Crota raid that looked like it'd be fun to try, but apparently they made it more difficult after the age of triumph update.

Just wasn't sure if it was even worth trying to find a group for it, I'm probably an average player at best so if it's too difficult I don't want to waste their time.
As long as you can get a group with some people who've run it before, it's relatively easy. The lowest level Crota raid can be done in 20 minutes with a decent group. I'm very average as well, and it was not a big deal to do.

Dineren

Banned
As long as you can get a group with some people who've run it before, it's relatively easy. The lowest level Crota raid can be done in 20 minutes with a decent group. I'm very average as well, and it was not a big deal to do.

Great, thanks! I will give it a shot.

That's part of the issue. The community thread typically plays out very differently than gaming threads.
I know. That is why i keep away from comunity threads. There is a difetence between meltdowns on the DGaf OT (im still salty as fuck about the tripmine grenade nerf) to shit posting on the comunity thread.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I know. That is why i keep away from comunity threads. There is a difetence between meltdowns on the DGaf OT (im still salty as fuck about the tripmine grenade nerf) to shit posting on the comunity thread.
I thought the OT was the community thread?

Now I'm a confused Guardian haha.

GlamFM

Banned
19466688_1470304276396823_6369711827067523528_o.jpg

Juan

That's a cool picture. But you see, that's my problem with Destiny (well, Bungie), such cool art, cool structure, but nothing more (about the story and the places).

Plus, you don't see big changes on places after you messed up there, or you need to wait for a new game to see a Tower destroyed. The (main) story in D2 doesn't seem bigger than what we get in an expansion like The Taken King. I'm much more looking foward Adventure and lost sectors.

I can see how it might seem that way if for whatever reason you might be hard to distinguish from the "I played destiny in the beta and it was trash and it's still trash now oh and also Destiny 2 can suck a lemon out of my grandmother's anus"-types. One's previous participation gives context to current comments; even if context is merely familiarity— there's a lot more negative reaction to criticism from (perceived/actual) outsiders than the in-group.

Ahah, sure some people didn't play much than the Alpha and it sure sucked. But the game wasn't much different when it launched, so I understand people didn't want to give it a second chance and are still burnt by what the game is and what it could be/was advertised.

GlamFM

Banned
That's a cool picture. But you see, that's my problem with Destiny (well, Bungie), such cool art, cool structure, but nothing more (about the story and the places).

Plus, you don't see big changes on places after you messed up there, or you need to wait for a new game to see a Tower destroyed. The (main) story in D2 doesn't seem bigger than what we get in an expansion like The Taken King. I'm much more looking foward Adventure and lost sectors.

It´s a shared online world. You can´t mess around in there unless you do it for everybody.

Way too soon to make calls about the story of Destiny 2 btw, let´s play it first.

There is a lot in the grimoire cards— shame they weren't in the game.

I think at some point, the writers of a science fiction/fantasy game (or a work in any medium) can't answer the questions they have created any better than the players' imaginations. The Halo franchise has always felt like it over-answered and is ever-spiralling down this path, with increasingly and needlessly complicated story and back story that just makes it worse.

Vanilla Destiny didn't answer many of its questions, and the few it answered were answered poorly. The HoW/TTK improved on this a great deal, but RoI felt like a step in the wrong direction (my complaints are specifically that it told us Rasputin was an adversary, and now Rasputin seems to be an ally, but it didn't offer anything to explain the change even though it had the opportunity, and there is no mention or hint of Aksis or Vosik during the campaign; enemies aside, the raid feels completely divorced from the story missions, unlike Crota's End, Skolas, and King's Fall).

The world, flavour text, and in-game narrative all suggest a much bigger world with a rich history; I am happy for it to remain untold until whatever pieces can be told well.

so I understand people didn't want to give it a second chance and are still burnt by what the game is and what it could be/was advertised.

How can they be burnt by what the game is if they haven't played since alpha/beta/launch? The game has changed.

It´s a shared online world. You can´t mess around in there unless you do it for everybody.

Or you split the player population as Guild Wars did based on story progress. We're essentially getting the same thing here— just the split happens with the release of a new title.

Juan

Way too soon to make calls about the story of Destiny 2 btw, let´s play it first.

You totally can have different and specific in-game elements for people that have reached a point in the story when other didn't, just to give you a sense of impact, but it didn't need to be big, here, I was just pointing the Tower as an example. It's just about how you structure the game.

We know nothing about the story of D2 beyond the setup and we're already judging it's scope. Wow.

Yep, gotta keep that Destiny 1.5 narrative going - NO MATTER WHAT!

What I mean is I'm not expecting a single story mission in Destiny to be (to compare from previous Bungie's works) as long and diverse as a Halo mission. Like the first mission in D2 is like 15 minutes? (Sure it's a first mission, but it still gives an idea)

Plus, we can already have some assumption on the story telling itself and the scope it can reach. Like Glam said, it's a shared world, so we (maybe) are not going to have impact on the world. The main story is about Ghaul wanting the light, but Luke already mentioned the Darkness won't be a thing in D2 (at least for vanilla D2). Again, what I'm seeing is that we are getting a vilain in the same way Oryx was a vilain in D1, coming with a specific idea to give you a goal, progress through stories to level-up until you reach the Strike and the Raid. And that's why I'm way more looking forward Adventures and Lost Sector than the main story.

Again, I based this opinion on how Bungie structured story telling for expansions in D1 and how they said they found their way to tell a story in Destiny tied to gameplay element, and since this worked quite well in D1, I'm not seeing them changing this for their new game.

I'm not assuming big changes on D2 since what they showed wasn't that much different from D1. And Glam, don't be mad at people saying they saw D1.5 in D2, like yesterday, a friend of mine saw a video for the first Strike in D2 and the Tower story mission, didn't know it was Destiny 2 and asked if it was the new expansion for Destiny that leaked a year ago about the Cabal.

There is a reason some people are calling Destiny 2 a Destiny 1.5 based on what they have seen so far. You can disagree for sure, but you can at least try to understand what they mean.

How can they be burnt by what the game is if they haven't played since alpha/beta/launch? The game has changed.

Sure the game changed, but it didn't change that much (I mean, it's still Destiny). It is easier to get good loot, increase your light and your level, but the game is still the same in the end, so people that were confused or disappointed at launch won't really change their opinion on what Destiny is. I played the game since the Alpha, and it sure got better, but not that much someone would give Destiny a third chance if they were expecting something else.

GlamFM

Banned
You totally can have different and specific in-game elements for people that have reached a point in the story when other didn't, just to give you a sense of impact, but it didn't need to be big, here, I was just pointing the Tower as an example. It's just about how you structure the game.

What I mean is I'm not expecting a single story mission in Destiny to be (to compare from previous Bungie's works) as long and diverse as a Halo mission. Like the first mission in D2 is like 15 minutes? (Sure it's a first mission, but it still gives an idea)

Plus, we can already have some assumption on the story telling itself and the scope it can reach. Like Glam said, it's a shared world, so we (maybe) are not going to have impact on the world. The main story is about Ghaul wanting the light, but Luke already mentioned the Darkness won't be a thing in D2 (at least for vanilla D2). Again, what I'm seeing is that we are getting a vilain in the same way Oryx was a vilain in D1, coming with a specific idea to give you a goal, progress through stories to level-up until you reach the Strike and the Raid. And that's why I'm way more looking forward Adventures and Lost Sector than the main story.

Again, I based this opinion on how Bungie structured story telling for expansions in D1 and how they said they found their way to tell a story in Destiny tied to gameplay element, and since this worked quite well in D1, I'm not seeing them changing this for their new game.

I'm not assuming big changes on D2 since what they showed wasn't that much different from D1. And Glam, don't be mad at people saying they saw D1.5 in D2, like yesterday, a friend of mine saw a video for the first Strike in D2 and the Tower story mission, didn't know it was Destiny 2 and asked if it was the new expansion for Destiny that leaked a year ago about the Cabal.

There is a reason some people are calling Destiny 2 a Destiny 1.5 based on what they have seen so far. You can disagree for sure, but you can at least try to understand what they mean.

Sure the game changed, but it didn't change that much (I mean, it's still Destiny). It is easier to get good loot, increase your light and your level, but the game is still the same in the end, so people that were confused or disappointed at launch won't really change their opinion on what Destiny is. I played the game since the Alpha, and it sure got better, but not that much someone would give Destiny a third chance if they were expecting something else.

The source for all of this is your ass.

Give it a rest. We´ll find out soon enough.

Juan

Yes, and I also find you really annoying.

And I find you are a d***, but hey, we are on a community thread, and I don't give a shit about haters like you. I don't know if you are a hater or just a troll in fact.

I think it's quite ridiculous to reach this point each time you are in a conversation Glam. Ridiculous and sad actually. You don't need to be mean. I'm sure you are not that bad.

But anyway, I'm putting you on my ignore list, some people already told you to calm down but you still are over-reactive like always, that way, I still can post without being annoyed by your ridiculous comments.

I would suggest you to do the same or you will end up being more salty than the ocean.

I can understand the majority of what you are saying. However, the changes they did make to Destiny didn't affect the users that had already beaten vanilla Destiny. The Questing system they implemented in Taken King made going through the vanilla story much more manageable.

I think Bungie has taken feedback from Destiny 1 and are going to make better changes for D2.

And watching videos doesn't really give much insight to what they are going to do. I'm going to wait and play the game before I make any judgement on it.

E92 M3

Destiny is one of the best shooters out right now. Based on your avatar, you should be more worried about Halo (which is dying, unfortunately).

FyreWulff

Well, it's obvious Ghaul won't be the main raid boss forever. But that's always sort of the internal fiction you adopt when you get into the MMO style genre, you know that the advertised big bad is going to be ezdrops 5 months later as everyone moves on, but you enjoy it while it is the main attraction and gives you cool cinematics

Juan

I can understand the majority of what you are saying. However, the changes they did make to Destiny didn't affect the users that had already beaten vanilla Destiny. The Questing system they implemented in Taken King made going through the vanilla story much more manageable.

I think Bungie has taken feedback from Destiny 1 and are going to make better changes for D2.

And watching videos doesn't really give much insight to what they are going to do. I'm going to wait and play the game before I make any judgement on it.

Maybe I'm a bit biased then, but I recently had to do the vanilla Destiny again since I wanted to start a new character and forgot I had a go-to-level-40 element (can't remember the name) to use on my Hunter.

Well the Questing system made me even more confused than I was when I first played the game years ago. There were so many quests I had to follow (of course you can stop to follow the quest, but I just wanted to see if the game was clearer with everything they added) I didn't know which one was following the one I just did. I'm sure it had to do with the "story-telling" mess vanilla Destiny was since it was clearer with TTK and RoI, but of my god I feel bad when I saw how many Quests I had to do with vanilla Destiny that were just some check list.

And that's one of the thing I'm curious to see in D2, if they managed to do a better job. The only thing that doesn't inspire me confidence is that the game is shipping in a few months, beta is like in 2/3 weeks and they didn't talk much about all of this.

Sure we may discover by ourselves they changed a lot of stuff, but since they didn't show anything about this, I can just assume they are following things they done "well", based on Bungie pov, in Destiny 1 and put them back in D2 without any major changes.

Destiny is one of the best shooters out right now. Based on your avatar, you should be more worried about Halo (which is dying, unfortunately).

This avatar is years old, but I don't have much confidence in 343 for making a good Halo. Destiny has very good shooting mechanics and lot of elements I would like to see in other FPS, but from my pov, it doesn't hold up to what Bungie could offer after years of experiences with Halo.

You totally can have different and specific in-game elements for people that have reached a point in the story when other didn't[...]

It's small, but the NPC lines in the tower do change based on your accomplishments in the game.

I'm also sure I've heard new lines since the announcement of Destiny 2, though perhaps they're just old lines with new weight (something along the lines of Shaxx saying "you'll have to train harder in order to defeat the Cabal").

What I mean is I'm not expecting a single story mission in Destiny to be as long and diverse as a Halo mission. Like the first mission in D2 is like 15 minutes? (Sure it's a first mission, but it still gives an idea)

But there are loads more story missions in (vanilla) Destiny than in Halo. They aren't as diverse in encounter design, but the length of the campaign is longer. With regards to diversity it appears from the trailers for D2 that we're getting some new-to-Destiny vehicle sections.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Man I just can't get the helm for my Titan or chest for Warlock from Crota. Wish the other raids had a siimlar chest system to WOTM, if you have keys use them to try for more loot from that specific boss/section.

deviant1

And that's one of the thing I'm curious to see in D2, if they managed to do a better job. The only thing that doesn't inspire me confidence is that the game is shipping in a few months, beta is like in 2/3 weeks and they didn't talk much about all of this.

Sure we may discover by ourselves they changed a lot of stuff, but since they didn't show anything about this, I can just assume they are following things they done "well", based on Bungie pov, in Destiny 1 and put them back in D2 without any major changes.

So far all we've seen of D2 has been from the reveal event and E3. E3 was the same content as the reveal with the Arcstrider subclass added in. I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect Bungie to lay out every detail about everything coming in D2 months before launch.

This community has proven with every DLC and expansion that they love to dive in and discover this stuff on their own. I think that Bungie in the past has shown too much about new content via streams and showing every exotic on instagram that removes the fun of finding this shit out on our own.

Mindlog

I also enjoy Mass Effect and No Man's Sky so the drive-by concern trolling is not new to me. However, the reactions are definitely different and reading up on this page self-explanatory.
So far all we've seen of D2 has been from the reveal event and E3. E3 was the same content as the reveal with the Arcstrider subclass added in. I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect Bungie to lay out every detail about everything coming in D2 months before launch.
Fair enough, but Bungie controls their own first impression.

I would have quietly thrown in a bunch of non-feature QOL improvements that would have been a little more exciting for old Destiny fans. Without a word they could have switched loadouts via favorites or pulled in weapons from their vault. Similarly while playing the mission I would have had the player pick up a drop and examine a new helmet. While the stats are better they would hate the look so they move their old helmet to the vanity slot as if that was always there. Then to celebrate they pull up the gesture wheel and dance. There are plenty of small things that could add up.

We saw another strike ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Personally, I'm seeing destiny 2 as 'more of the same'. It doesn't really look like the formula is changing that much. Now I know that comment could be taken negatively but it's not really meant to be negative or positive. Just something I'm noticing.

Destiny 2 isn't reinventing the wheel. It's just more destiny. I think destiny will continue to be a popular game with an avid community. And I'll most likely be there day 1, just like I was for d1 and every single expansion thus far.

However, I do have to say, d1 vanilla was pretty bad in certain respects. And I'm sensing D2 vanilla will lack a lot of things at launch. With the LE only being sold at gamestop, it's made my decision to only buy the $60 standard edition very easy. I'll buy the dlc if Bungie convinces me to after launch.

Juan

not biased.its just that.your opinions/arguments fall flat and you're full of shit...onto the next troll

Lol. Then just elaborate and tell me where my arguments fall flat, or then, you will just be another troll around there. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ But I guess you just post once in a while when you want to annoy people.

I'm not surprised seeing some minor people over-reacting, but people like you are really atrocious while staying funny, so keep going buddy. You know, I may even have played more hours than you on D1 since 3 years, I may just have different expectations toward Destiny than you. That's what I was talking about.

Edit: Yeah, that's what I thought.

broony

I'm an old man. What is discord and why is it more popular for the destiny community?

Edit* Oh, so it's like slack basically.

Juan

Yeah, as a whole and the few Juans (cracks) this community is amazing.

One can't disagree with the community while wishing for improvements on specific part without being ditched? Can we only complaint about balance and RNG?

God I hope it's only some members on DGaf that are acting like this, never saw such hate or disrespect toward opinions/criticizes on /r/destinythegame or in the french community. Never had any issues before since the community members understand the game better than me and are still okay to discuss what can be improved or wasn't understood by other.

I'm an old man. What is discord and why is it more popular for the destiny community?

It's like Slack for gaming (quick chat #room).

It's small, but the NPC lines in the tower do change based on your accomplishments in the game.

I'm also sure I've heard new lines since the announcement of Destiny 2, though perhaps they're just old lines with new weight (something along the lines of Shaxx saying "you'll have to train harder in order to defeat the Cabal").

But there are loads more story missions in (vanilla) Destiny than in Halo. They aren't as diverse in encounter design, but the length of the campaign is longer. With regards to diversity it appears from the trailers for D2 that we're getting some new-to-Destiny vehicle sections.

Vanilla Destiny had like 20 story missions, lasting maybe 10 to 15 minutes each, Halo 2 had 15 missions (or at least sub-section). But sure, those are 2 different games. I wish D2 will indeed add more vehicles to the sandbox like the Tank se saw during trailers, and I also saw you can now destroy Cabal Ships like you could destroy ships in Halo, so these are great additions I'm looking forward.

I wouldn't be against the loot system as it's cool if it was for a greater purpose than just unlocking a new gun or a new armor. D1 showed Bungie can create very good scripted missions while staying true to their vision with Destiny (the first TTK story mission is a great example of this), and that's one of the thing that's making me really curious for D2 if they are going this way for the story.

GlamFM

Banned
God I hope it's only some members on DGaf that are acting like this, never saw such hate or disrespect toward opinions/criticizes on /r/destinythegame or in the french community. Never had any issues before since the community members understand the game better than me and are still okay to discuss what can be improved or wasn't understood by other.

Or maybe it´s just you? DGAF is fine, thanks.

If you want to know why people are so hostile towards YOU just look at some of the bullshit YOU have brought to this community:

Most of people (including me), don't get the appeal of loot, and seeing a game with such an excellent shooting mechanic like Destiny being a loot-based game can piss off people, being myself a Halo player and casually Destiny player, that's something I can understand.

Maybe this community just isn´t for you.

It's like Slack for gaming (quick chat #room).

IRC for millennials :p

I wouldn't be against the loot system as it's cool if it was for a greater purpose than just unlocking a new gun or a new armor.

I like the variety of guns and armour, but the loot aspect is not inherently a draw for me. Have a friend for whom it is all about the loot and in fact isn't interested in doing things in Destiny that won't give him loot.

D1 showed Bungie can create very good scripted missions while staying true to their vision with Destiny (the first TTK story mission is a great example of this), and that's one of the thing that's making me really curious for D2 if they are going this way for the story.

I believe it's lead by the TTK team (in contrast to RoI), so high hopes there.

If you want to know why people are so hostile towards YOU just look at some of the bullshit YOU have brought to this community:

How is that "bullshit"? It seems to me Juan has faced a lot more vitriol than they've brought in the past few pages— and descalated in tone while others have escalated.

Most of people (including me), don't get the appeal of loot, and seeing a game with such an excellent shooting mechanic like Destiny being a loot-based game can piss off people, being myself a Halo player and casually Destiny player, that's something I can understand.
What don't you understand about the loot system? Though I enjoy the loot system in Destiny, I can agree that it sometimes can suck when RNGesus doesn't seem you worthy. And when he/she/it does, you may get a poor roll on the item. So I can get why some people may not like the loot grind.

Juan

I like the variety of guns and armour, but the loot aspect is not inherently a draw for me. Have a friend for whom it is all about the loot and in fact isn't interested in doing things in Destiny that won't give him loot.

I believe it's lead by the TTK team (in contrast to RoI), so high hopes there.

How is that "bullshit"? It seems to me Juan has faced a lot more vitriol than they've brought in the past few pages— and descalated in tone while others have escalated.

I appreciated Bungie freedom to make any armors and guns they have in mind because it's always a pleasure to see well designed and beautiful stuffs in a game like Destiny (the art direction is so breathtaking), the only thing that stopping is when I unlock like ten times the same legendary armors or gun and I feel like I'm just repeating myself in this game.

That's one thing that keep me away from "loving" loot system when it comes to weapons and armors, but still, as long as I have a decent weapon to use and enjoy the missions with friends, that's fine, let's go for a ride!

And since Destiny 1 improved so much toward getting assured rewards for fixed activities, I don't worry regarding D2, and that's why I'm much more excited for Adventures and Lost Sector because Luke & cie said those are loot guarantee quest (I hear that like good loot guarantee).

And don't worry, I know all communities have haters, disrespectful or intolerant members that love to s*** on other the way Glam can do, but I don't judge a community based on those members. There are good and bad people everywhere. I'm just glad there is a ignore feature on NeoGaf so we don't have to deal with them if we don't want to. It's just too bad some people can't have a normal discussion without being salty.

What don't you understand about the loot system? Though I enjoy the loot system in Destiny, I can agree that it sometimes can suck when RNGesus doesn't seem you worthy. And when he/she/it does, you may get a poor roll on the item. So I can get why some people may not like the loot grind.

Coming myself from shooters like Unreal or Halo, I do like when items have a specific role toward the sandbox, and I feel like each variation of gun in Destiny is just a bonus than a real addition to the sandbox. That's why I'm not really chasing the loot and don't find the fun in getting the new meta, but still I understand this is a thing for some people (one member here explained this to me really well some posts earlier). I just think that Destiny can be appealing for both type of players.

Because, yeah, in the end, I just like to shoot things and having a great time.

Midas

I'm starting to get hyped for the beta. I do hope we can download the "client" before the 18th. Wouldn't be able to play for a couple of hours if not, you all know how good PSN is when it comes to bandwidth.

Top Bottom