• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT44| A Community in Discord

Mindlog

If casual means I'm not constantly having to clear the trash out of my postmaster then sign me up. I have no clue how sifting through garbage makes me smarter.

Smart is clearing an encounter quickly and efficiently. That has nothing to do with the amount of items I have to wade through before I get to the fun.

Trakan

If casual means I'm not constantly having to clear the trash out of my postmaster then sign me up. I have no clue how sifting through garbage makes me smarter.

Smart is clearing an encounter quickly and efficiently. That has nothing to do with the amount of items I have to wade through before I get to the fun.

Casual means lowering the bar to appease everyone. Nobody is left out. Everybody wins. Capture the biggest audience no matter the cost. I liked when person A, B, and C all got different rolls. Now person A wants the roll person C has. Something to go for. Now everybody wins! The person with an hour to play can compete with the guy who plays all week! The subclasses were too confusing! Well, no more! Now everyone gets the same shitty spec so nobody can be at an advantage!

Fuck that.

Casual means lowering the bar to appease everyone. Nobody is left out. Everybody wins. Capture the biggest audience no matter the cost. I liked when person A, B, and C all got different rolls. Now person A wants the roll person C has. Something to go for. Now everybody wins! The person with an hour to play can compete with the guy who plays all week! The subclasses were too confusing! Well, no more! Now everyone gets the same shitty spec so nobody can be at an advantage!

Fuck that.

On the surface it seems the only way this could work and be satisfying to the day-in and day-out player is if there are a huge quantity of weapons offering a massive variety as well and a furious amount of content being released and/or updated to be played in new and interesting ways along the way with new rewards being added.

Edit: Still, it seems to me it would be much easier to just have a fixed set of perks for PvP and keep the randomly rolled set of perks for PvE for every Legendary weapon rather than try and balance the entire game and all it's modes around one set of perks while keeping it interesting. Keep Exotics and Raid weapons fixed.

EL CUCO

Fuck that.
Winner winner chicken dinner

I'm honestly more excited to finally play Destiny in 60fps than I am to play D2 itself. We'll see how all this plays out, but expectations are pretty low.
back to PUBG, I go

Mindlog

Fuck that.
I don't see the problem at all. Give everyone a standard load-out in PvP and the players that currently dominate Trials still dominate Trials. The players that want some help completing Fear's Embrace just have to ask and I'll be right there.

The inherent advantage comes from mastering the mechanics. Watching SlayerAge(?) grind a god roll Imago for hours was boring as sin. You hear about it, watch for a minute, laugh and turn it off. Watching him and others work on soloing Aksis was far more interesting. You learn that you need to improve your Warlock movement, how to better manage adds and so on. Similarly hearing about PvPers borrowing accounts solely because they lack certain weapons makes me believe something is fundamentally broken instead of; 'Hey that guy who streams 40+ hours a week should play more.'

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Trying to appease to casuals is what made SFV the way it is. Funny because it backfired. SFV is garbage to me. Nowhere near as fun as SFIV to me. I hope Bungie isn't doing the same thing with D2.

I think the main problem is PVP and PVE still being one of the same. Split the two and you can do wonders. Unless they are planning to have hundreds to thousands more weapons this is going to get stale pretty quick. I like the idea of perks being disabled for PVP or better yet certain modes. Like they could disable it for trials and IB but leave it for everything else.
But this whole if blah blah blah didn't have god rolls. Well it doesn't matter if a gun a certain person has is better than yours and so and so. If the other player is better than you, you are likely going to get destroyed by them no matter what gun they use. People think giving the top players the same exact guns as everyone is going to even the playing field against them? Yeah right. Remember how many nerfs and stuff we went through for certain weapons but overall it never really affected the usage of them? They nerfed snipers so many times but it never affected me one bit or Krafty, etc.

Some really interesting... interpretations. So I went back and read the mashable interview.

So.. instead of partially random perk rolls (as the guns never had 100% random perk rolls), the perks are set on a per gun basis.

BUT

Each and every single gun is individually built and assigned it's stats. And supposedly there are more guns ("bigger arsenal") in Destiny 2.

Lose random perks AND lose Archetypes. So there aren't essentially 5 types of AR's, 5 types of PR's, 4 types of Shotguns, etc... that everything falls under. So while the perk rolls aren't random.. each gun is its own gun, providing individual performance based on it's raw stats + perk combo's. And balance will be done on a per gun level, meaning a good gun + perk combo doesn't get nerfed to shit because it shares an archetype with an OP gun + perk combo.

But somehow this equates to catering to casuals? While it's true that eliminating random perk rolls would mean that duplicate drops are inherently worth less (barring a system being added to give them some value), eliminating archetypes inherently adds more value to getting a different specific gun within the same family. Meaning what's lost in the Perk Lotto is gained in the Gun Lotto. So there's no "It's Fatebringer without the Elemental Damage" aspect to guns. Everything is unique. It becomes gotta-catch-em-all instead of farm for one weapon and hope for the god roll. In that, it should add value to playing more varied types of activities and less pressure to farm, say.... Omnigul 50 times.

But this doesn't actually provide a bonus or a negative to "Casual" vs. "No Life" playstyles at all. People who play more will still have more chances at more drops than those who don't and RNG being RNG means it's still random as to who gets what.

Dthomp

Anybody interested in running VOG? Looking for probably two people. Looking to run it and kill atheon 3 times for anybody searching for a Vex like myself.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Can I get a game where a random doesn't leave during the game. They should be penalized. I can't imagine how frustrating Overwatch players feel.

Trying to appease to casuals is what made SFV the way it is. Funny because it backfired. SFV is garbage to me. Nowhere near as fun as SFIV to me. I hope Bungie isn't doing the same thing with D2.

I think the main problem is PVP and PVE still being one of the same. Split the two and you can do wonders. Unless they are planning to have hundreds to thousands more weapons this is going to get stale pretty quick. I like the idea of perks being disabled for PVP or better yet certain modes. Like they could disable it for trials and IB but leave it for everything else.
But this whole if blah blah blah didn't have god rolls. Well it doesn't matter if a gun a certain person has is better than yours and so and so. If the other player is better than you, you are likely going to get destroyed by them no matter what gun they use. People think giving the top players the same exact guns as everyone is going to even the playing field against them? Yeah right. Remember how many nerfs and stuff we went through for certain weapons but overall it never really affected the usage of them? They nerfed snipers so many times but it never affected me one bit or Krafty, etc.
I don't know which version of Street Fighter V you have played but Capcom has abandonned casual and average players when it comes to Street Fighter.

Capcom has decided to make their characters "weird" and operate with complex levels of non-orthodox Street Fighter styles . They went Guilty Gear weird .

Street Fighter IV series is more "friendly" than Street Fighter V.

Street Fighter V being locked onto an online only mode which is geared soley for compatiive play as shut out the casuals.

+ it doesn't even have an Arcade Mode.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
No more one frame links, no vortexes, no option selects, easy mode combos, anti air jabs, etc. Yeah okay. SFV is as casual as you can get. Just because casuals are getting destroyed doesn't mean the game wasn't made catered to them.

No more one frame links, no vortexes, no option selects, easy mode combos, anti air jabs, etc. Yeah okay. SFV is as casual as you can get. Just because casuals are getting destroyed doesn't mean the game wasn't made catered to them.
SFV is a bizaro world game with Guilty Gear mechanics without offline modes of play.

all the casuals that I know that used to play older Street Fighter games at lunch time or after work are not on the SFV train.

SFV is on life support and no new player is buying this incomplete pile of crap. I regret purchasing it

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I am a hardcore die hard SF fan and I want to love SFV but there's just so much wrong with it. It's just boring to me. It needs another mechanic.

I'll still watch it to see blow ups and certain players do well but I'm not spending my time with it like I did with IV.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Oh that game that sent the series into hibernation for ten years because it was that bad. And by bad I mean U.S was free to Japan. SFV is the only SF game the U.S has finally dominated in.

EVO is next week. Philly represent.

Oh that game that sent the series into hibernation for ten years because it was that bad. And by bad I mean U.S was free to Japan. SFV is the only SF game the U.S has finally dominated in.

EVO is next week. Philly represent.

All of what you're talking about has more to do with Arcade culture in the US dying out and SF being primarily Arcade based until IV. 3rd Strike is definitely the better game. MvC did just fine not changing formula with MvC3 despite having similar time disparity. SF would've been fine too keeping 3rd Strike's design.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Nothing to do with arcade culture. SF3 was just a different game that the masses didn't like because their favorite characters weren't in it. And yeah the versus series were more popular at the time. I actually liked the versus series more during SF3 until IV. Marvel 3 itself was made too easy. I don't like the control scheme. And Infinite looks like it's going back to four button but I'm not sold on 2 on 2.

Gotta disagree. My local arcade in Cali was always poppin for 3rd Strike while MvC2 was only hot during tourney's. And that arcade was legit in the LA scene. On any given day you'd find great players. Pro and unknown.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I know about the arcade scene. You are preaching to the choir when it comes to the FGC. I know quite a few players from there. Cali in general. Marvel was the way more popular game in the U.S. That's why there is the terms "Ten more years."

I wasn't saying that you didn't know the arcade scene. Just giving context for what I'm saying. Seeing the popularity of 3rd Strike vs MvC2 in a highly competitive arcade.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I understood what you're saying. I can see LA being a more 3rd strike oriented scene because some of the absolute best U.S players are from there. Overall though Marvel was just bigger than it by far. The FGC gets it's rep from Marvel. The rivalries and memes are what propelled it. The money matches. Did any other game have a $50k money match?

I understood what you're saying. I can see LA being a more 3rd strike oriented scene because some of the absolute best U.S players are from there. Overall though Marvel was just bigger than it by far. The FGC gets it's rep from Marvel. The rivalries and memes are what propelled it. The money matches. Did any other game have a $50k money match?

Not that I can think of. Then again, MvC players are rather unique in any case. I never really understood the appeal personally. The surface of it makes enough sense. I just never got the appeal for a game with infinite combo loops.

SFV bombed exactly because... they abandoned casuals and went after the hardcore competitive crowd. Casuals have little to no content to play at SFV launch, like at all.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Game play was meant for casuals, contents was not. NRS knows what they are doing, focus on content first then everything else. But what separates the two is the budget and Capcom U.S.A and Japan don't really see eye to eye.

It does sort of looks like D2 is headed into that direction. Make the game more accessible but uh contents can be lacking.

Good games. Longest train in a while. Almost 30 games.

Well, I'll point out so far they haven't said armor has fixed perks..

Going to be snarky here and say that the armor in d1 has stupid as fuck perks. Who really cares if you can move slightly faster after an arc double kill.

Edit: holy shit what thread am I in right now? Lol.

Some really interesting... interpretations. So I went back and read the mashable interview.

So.. instead of partially random perk rolls (as the guns never had 100% random perk rolls), the perks are set on a per gun basis.

BUT

Each and every single gun is individually built and assigned it's stats. And supposedly there are more guns ("bigger arsenal") in Destiny 2.

Lose random perks AND lose Archetypes. So there aren't essentially 5 types of AR's, 5 types of PR's, 4 types of Shotguns, etc... that everything falls under. So while the perk rolls aren't random.. each gun is its own gun, providing individual performance based on it's raw stats + perk combo's. And balance will be done on a per gun level, meaning a good gun + perk combo doesn't get nerfed to shit because it shares an archetype with an OP gun + perk combo.

But somehow this equates to catering to casuals? While it's true that eliminating random perk rolls would mean that duplicate drops are inherently worth less (barring a system being added to give them some value), eliminating archetypes inherently adds more value to getting a different specific gun within the same family. Meaning what's lost in the Perk Lotto is gained in the Gun Lotto. So there's no "It's Fatebringer without the Elemental Damage" aspect to guns. Everything is unique. It becomes gotta-catch-em-all instead of farm for one weapon and hope for the god roll. In that, it should add value to playing more varied types of activities and less pressure to farm, say.... Omnigul 50 times.

But this doesn't actually provide a bonus or a negative to "Casual" vs. "No Life" playstyles at all. People who play more will still have more chances at more drops than those who don't and RNG being RNG means it's still random as to who gets what.

Where does it explicitly state that archetypes are gone?

If you're referring to this...

The lineup of stats and perks for every weapon and every piece of armor in Destiny 2 is now hand-crafted.

...I don't think that necessarily means archetypes are gone but rather each weapon has a set of fixed perks that may or may not modify it's base archetype stats. I could be wrong but I fully expect at minimum a handful of archetypes (and hopefully a much larger number than that to create variety given the fixed perk nature) for each weapon as a starting point/base.

To me, the "hand-crafted" part could mostly be referring to the fixed nature of perks (that could modify an archetype's stats) which allows players to more readily identify with a named weapon rather than expecting a considerable variation among stats (meaning no base archetype) for each and every weapon of a certain type (scout, assault, pulse, etc).

shingi70

Banned
Taking off random perks dies hurt the game from a level of engagement with vendors, replayability, and YouTuber guys.

That said I don't think I've ever rerolled a weapon in my life, and the only perfect roll weapons I have were from buying stuff from vendors and the gunsmith.

With weapons being static rolls, this either means some sort of mod slot to change things up, or the amount of legendary weapons has to be uped to keep things from getting stale.

FyreWulff

it sort of ties into everyone's super coming up at the same rate now, and grenades/melee. I think they're trying to make some parts of the game more predictable/readable just for the sanity of design of both PvE and PvP but also perhaps players might feel some parts of the game are less bullshit.

it sort of ties into everyone's super coming up at the same rate now, and grenades/melee. I think they're trying to make some parts of the game more predictable/readable just for the sanity of design of both PvE and PvP but also perhaps players might feel some parts of the game are less bullshit.

Destiny never had crazy builds anyway. So now it's just watered down even further. We'll see how much that matters soon. As long as the raid is fun, I'll keep playing. I just like filling bars (record books and kiosks) and raiding.

Where does it explicitly state that archetypes are gone?

If you're referring to this...

...I don't think that necessarily means archetypes are gone but rather each weapon has a set of fixed perks that may or may not modify it's base archetype stats. I could be wrong but I fully expect at minimum a handful of archetypes (and hopefully a much larger number than that to create variety given the fixed perk nature) for each weapon as a starting point/base.

To me, the "hand-crafted" part could mostly be referring to the fixed nature of perks (that could modify an archetype's stats) which allows players to more readily identify with a named weapon rather than expecting a considerable variation among stats (meaning no base archetype) for each and every weapon of a certain type (scout, assault, pulse, etc).

Bungie faced a balancing dilemma in the original Destiny: if one particular legendary — let's just say, for example, the popular Cryptic Dragon scout rifle — was unbalanced in some way, stat changes could only be applied across the full category of scout rifles.

The hand-crafted nature of Destiny 2's arsenal means every piece of gear is its own category, in a sense. A Bungie designer can call up a singular legendary and tweak its stats
; a seemingly small thing, but one that promises to change up the notion of how gear is balanced in the coming sequel.

"It's gonna give us more flexibility to do per-item tuning," Smith said. "[That's] something we haven't had before because of the way we were building the [first] game."

That specifically refers to stat tuning. Meaning that inherently guns aren't connected by archetype any longer.

This isn't to say that guns won't fit certain profiles, as it's likely profiles will always apply for the sake of balance. I.E. a gun with a faster RoF will have lower Impact to compensate for it. But what it should mean is a more meaningful variance in what those stats actually are. So there's no reason that it should feel like there's really only 3 types of AR's with a bunch of different skins on them. There will be freedom for the guns to run the gamut in stat spread and with it being easier to adjust them individually, that should reinforce the Bungie designers to experiment with different stat spreads because it's much easier to adjust without breaking an entire group of guns.

But yeah, it definitely seems to me like archetypes as they existed in D1 are gone.

LTWood12

I'm quite happy about the weapon change and I don't view at all through the lense of casual vs hardcore. Hell I've got something like 2500 hours. Year one had loot that was so fun to get that people saved their goddamn reactions. All of those weapons were static roll weapons (Mythoclast, Gjallarhorn, Fatebringer, etc).

To me, it's a lot more fun to be excited about the weapon itself, than it is to be relieved your hand cannon comes with rifled barrel. Hell even the main year 2 pve legendary people talk about is Hung Jury. And when they talk about it they're referring to the September 2015 vendor version (Torch, TT, Extended mag/HLS, Firefly). Now we can have weapons that are tailored for specific encounters and pve vs pvp.

I don't understand why this has anything to do with how "hardcore" someone plays the game. Fatebringer, Black Hammer, Gjallarhorn is the loadout of loadouts.

How is destiny not a loot game? The best parts are all locked away based on end game loot that you grind for (raids/trials).

ilvl/gearscore is not a Loot Game thing. That's an MMORPG thing. Grinding isn't Loot Game exclusive and is actually more closely aligned with MMORPG's. Especially Eastern MMORPG's where it's been used most in games that don't have any level caps whatsoever.

Destiny has a lot more MMORPG trappings than anything else. Quests, Dungeons, Raids, Weekly Lockouts, Currency collecting to use for Vendor Gear, Gear that drops specific to dungeons/raids, etc.. etc...

Don't get me wrong, Loot Games and MMORPG's share a lot of DNA and I can understand people making the Loot Game connection considering the instanced nature of how Destiny handles things. However Destiny doesn't do the instancing to create a Loot Game atmosphere, it does it because they straight up can't make a fully MMO game with that engine and no backend servers to run the whole thing. It's a technology thing that informed the design decision.

jviggy43

I mean that's just getting down to semantics. Destiny is an mmofps but as you pointed out mmos in general have a lot of loot game functionality in them. Either description fits destiny. They're just careful not to call it either of those because both of those genres in comparison would be a bad look, but it still doesn't change the fact that loot is one of the most fundamental aspects of this game barring a radical change in destiny 2 which it does seem they are moving towards.

Also if you Google loot videogames destiny is the first hit.

I mean that's just getting down to semantics. Destiny is an mmofps but as you pointed out mmos in general have a lot of loot game functionality in them. Either description fits destiny. They're just careful not to call it either of those because both of those genres in comparison would be a bad look, but it still doesn't change the fact that loot is one of the most fundamental aspects of this game barring a radical change in destiny 2 which it does seem they are moving towards.

Also if you Google loot videogames destiny is the first hit.

It's not semantics at all. Just because loot drops doesn't mean loot game. No MMORPG is considered a loot game regardless of the loot mechanics. And collecting loot has been an RPG staple since before "loot game" was ever considered a genre.

And Google results don't mean a thing. You can Google a lot of terms and the first results are not empirically representative of the term.

jviggy43

What disqualifies destiny as a loot game, or rather tell me what a loot game is and how destiny distinguishes itself from a loot game. Again I'd call it an mmo first and foremost but loot game is the next classification I would give it.

Also yes google doesn't necessarily represent an objective summarization of what you're searching for but it does give you an indication of how often other outlets refer to said search under that keyword.

GutZ31

The Beta is about 16 days away. We will have a better idea of just what to expect from this change fairly soon. Speculating or outright denouncing the change only hurts your own expectations.

To everyone's concerns; Destiny 2 has much to prove to it's community, and even more to the people that feel burned by it.

XAL

Doing away with lottery rolls on gun perks is the best thing they could have done for this game.

Honestly this is a manifestation of the original promise of weaponry from D1. You're supposed to become attached to your named weapons and build them up to legendary status as you use them.

Repeat drops of weapons should be used to upgrade, alter, change appearance of the weapon.

If they do that I'll be so damn happy.

It will do away with the haves-and-have-not nonsense from D1. Earn your weapon, earn the power that weapon/armor provides. Make the weapon your own.

Random rolls never bothered me enough to think I had to chase them...but I can see why other people did. Edit - I mean different people had different white whales to chase...not that I made the " right" choice.

IMHO the "play every day" crowd (myself included) will find other white whales to chase. As an example little has been said about clan rewards and what grinding/chasing will be needed for that?

Bungie have the data now, they could put some *very* distant goals on the clan rewards. E.g. you'd need 50 of the 100 players, playing a few hours each day, for 3 months*, to get the best ones.

*Picked as the most likely gap to the first DLC

What disqualifies destiny as a loot game, or rather tell me what a loot game is and how destiny distinguishes itself from a loot game. Again I'd call it an mmo first and foremost but loot game is the next classification I would give it.

Also yes google doesn't necessarily represent an objective summarization of what you're searching for but it does give you an indication of how often other outlets refer to said search under that keyword.

Loot games are dungeon crawlers. Diablo, Torchlight, and even Borderlands are all dungeon crawlers. They also have no ilvl/gearscore, as progression once you hit level cap is completely horizontal. While they have bosses, they don't have Dungeons and Raids. It's all just clearing loads of trash mobs with the occasional Boss mobs. In some cases, levels are random/procedurally generated because the levels themselves don't matter. It's just tiles and rooms that exist for flavor while you mow down tons of mobs. They very rarely have additional story elements past the initial campaign, opting instead for Season-like resets and even when they do have additional content added, they don't increase level cap/gearscore because, again... all progression is horizontal.

Why do you run Nightfalls every week?

Why do you run Raids every week?

Why do you play in the Iron Banner?

Why do you do particular PvE/PvP tasks to complete quests?

Why will you want to complete the Lost Sectors and Adventures in Destiny 2?

Answer to all of the above is (at least initially) for the loot (just some examples of the activities but not all that are loot driven).

Yes, the gameplay and hopefully the exploration is a reason in and of itself to do these things but the loot drives the game.

And yes, there are (down) times when you basically have everything in the current iteration of Destiny where you'll be playing for simply the love of the gunplay/gameplay but you'll also be anticipating the day when new weapons/gear will be introduced and acquired in the next iteration.

Just because Destiny doesn't have the variation or amount of loot compared to other games (Borderlands, Diablo, The Division, etc) doesn't mean it's not a loot game.

Plus, Cayde-6 said it was.

Trakan

Doing away with lottery rolls on gun perks is the best thing they could have done for this game.

Honestly this is a manifestation of the original promise of weaponry from D1. You're supposed to become attached to your named weapons and build them up to legendary status as you use them.

Repeat drops of weapons should be used to upgrade, alter, change appearance of the weapon.

If they do that I'll be so damn happy.

It will do away with the haves-and-have-not nonsense from D1. Earn your weapon, earn the power that weapon/armor provides. Make the weapon your own.

Be prepared to get fixed weapon rolls, but none of that other stuff.

Why do you run Nightfalls every week?

Why do you run Raids every week?

Why do you play in the Iron Banner?

Why do you do particular PvE/PvP tasks to complete quests?

Why will you want to complete the Lost Sectors and Adventures in Destiny 2?

Answer to all of the above is (at least initially) for the loot (just some examples of the activities but not all that are loot driven).

Yes, the gameplay and hopefully the exploration is a reason in and of itself to do these things but the loot drives the game.

And yes, there are (down) times when you basically have everything in the current iteration of Destiny where you'll be playing for simply the love of the gunplay/gameplay but you'll also be anticipating the day when new weapons/gear will be introduced and acquired in the next iteration.

Just because Destiny doesn't have the variation or amount of loot compared to other games (Borderlands, Diablo, The Division, etc) doesn't mean it's not a loot game.

Plus, Cayde-6 said it was.

1. I don't run it weekly unless I want the buff.

2. Again, I run Raids when I want to, for the content itself.

3. I play IB for the PvP.

4. I complete quests because that's literally the content in the game.

5. I actually want to see the encounter designs and how the lore is comprised in world.

But really, the answer to all those questions is that people do those things because it's what you do to play the game. Run dungeons, Do patrols, do Quests, do dailies, PvE, PvP... all of it is the meat of the game. It's what you do in the game. If you're not doing those things, you're not playing the game. You're not even guaranteed loot from doing the majority of the content.

"Loot games" are not the only games with loot. They're not the first game with loot. RPG's started all of that. Hell the term Loot as it's used in gaming comes from TTRPGs. So Cayde-6 mentioning loot does not mean the game is a loot game. Just a community meme reference.

I mean, people can play the game for whatever reason suits them. Maybe it's the way the game feels as a shooter. Maybe it's the lore. Maybe it's the PvP. Maybe it's the loot. All of those are perfectly valid reasons to play. But saying a game that's identifiably a Lite MMO (Even Bungie's term Shared-World Shooter hints at MMO conventions) is a Loot Game is like saying Warcraft 3 is a PvE MOBA.

Top Bottom