• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT44| A Community in Discord

Ohh, I thought I'd get the pretty weapons and shit by playing Crucible or something, off to finish the rest of the missions then!

Thanks!
You can. Get the crucible quartermaster bounties. It gives you legendary weapons when you finish them. Normally good for both PvP and PvE. Do the test weapons also. It will give the respective exotics for each class and also a specific class legendary weapon (tlaloc,ace of spades, fabian strategy are the exotics).

broony

Meh. That's cool but quite boring. Nothing really new around there, still feel like an expansion for a Destiny 1.5. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Wondering his there is a death barrier after the soccer field.

Fucks sake. They talk in the video about new things to do there. Activities to change your appearance and abilities in the social space. They talk about the space changing as you progress in the game. They talk about npcs coming and going. That's new isn't it?

Juan

Fucks sake. They talk in the video about new things to do there. Activities to change your appearance and abilities in the social space. They talk about the space changing as you progress in the game. They talk about npcs coming and going. That's new isn't it?

Talking and showing are two different things. Remember when they said all the thing you could see in the Cosmodrome was playable space?

I think you are putting way too much things being those words. I'm curious to see that when Destiny 2 will be out, but stuff like:

- Space changing as you progress in the game = Well, Felwinter Peak had the same thing with the Iron Lord fire stuff
- NPCs coming and going = Well, that's just a teleportation stuff seen during the video. Do you feel like it's the big thing?

FyreWulff

Talking and showing are two different things. Remember when they said all the thing you could see in the Cosmodrome was playable space?

Remember when that was a offhand comment in one live playthrough and that the point the guy was making was that it was all real geometry instead of a jpg skybox?

broony

I think you are putting way too much things being those words. I'm curious to see that when Destiny 2 will be out, but stuff like:

- Space changing as you progress in the game = Well, Felwinter Peak had the same thing with the Iron Lord fire stuff
- NPCs coming and going = Well, that's just a teleportation stuff seen during the video. Do you feel like it's the big thing?

They said the population will grow, new things will be available.

By npcs they mean vendors and quest givers, not the ai plebs walking around.

But fuck that, everything they ever say is a lie because deej got too excited talking about d1 4 years ago when he was new.

Juan

Remember when that was a offhand comment in one live playthrough and that the point the guy was making was that it was all real geometry instead of a jpg skybox?

There is an excuse to defend comments from a dev I guess. I don't see what it changes to be honest. It still shows that we shouldn't put too much being those words.

And Bungie used to make skybox using real geometry before Destiny without telling it was playable space.

Saying playable space and telling it's a skybox, again, are two different things. And once again, the only new thing I see there, in term of interaction, is the soccer field which is cool, but it's still meh, to me.

But fuck that, everything they ever say is a lie because deej got too excited talking about d1 4 years ago when he was new.

That wasn't Deej, sorry to disappoint. And all the things you're quoting, well, is this really new from the social space we got in D1?

broony

There is an excuse to defend comments from a dev I guess. I don't see what it changes to be honest. It still shows that we shouldn't put too much being those words.

And Bungie used to make skybox using real geometry before Destiny without telling it was playable space.

Saying playable space and telling it's a skybox, again, are two different things. And once again, the only new thing I see there, in term of interaction, is the soccer field which is cool, but it's still meh, to me.

There probably isn't even anything else in the game because they haven't shown it to you yet. One mission, one strike, one pvp map and the farm.

Juan

There probably isn't even anything else in the game because they haven't shown it to you yet. One mission, one strike, one pvp map and the farm.

Don't forget 4 new worlds.

Well, if you want to make guess based on nothing but your imagination after hearing some words, that's up to you. I'm waiting to see the new things (like Adventures and Lost Sector, things I'm looking forward).

//Looks at Thread Title... Looks at comments... Remembers Suicide Squad Will Smith quote...

We're some sort of community in discord or something?

Sorry. I couldn't help myself.

Raven117

Looks good to me. I prefer it when Destiny takes the gritter/"space knight" approach as opposed to the sci-fi.

I hope the music is as on point as it was in Destiny 1. That soundtrack doesn't really get enough love.

I don't understand people saying its 1.5. I mean...aren't almost all squeals just marginal improvements over the original? Is anyone saying its "1.5" really just a new veil for the same argument that Destiny 1 failed to deliver on the "hype" (and some false info).

Fun to shoot things? Check
Fun to shoot things with friends and NeoGaf? Check.
Hopefully fun endgame and more difficult raid encounters? (Hope so)

But really...it all comes down to 1 and 2 for me. And it looks like those things are still intact.

Trakan

Looks good to me. I prefer it when Destiny takes the gritter/"space knight" approach as opposed to the sci-fi.

I hope the music is as on point as it was in Destiny 1. That soundtrack doesn't really get enough love.

I don't understand people saying its 1.5. I mean...aren't almost all squeals just marginal improvements over the original? Is anyone saying its "1.5" really just a new veil for the same argument that Destiny 1 failed to deliver on the "hype" (and some false info).

But really...it all comes down to 1 and 2 for me. And it looks like those things are still intact.

I've never heard anything but praise for Destiny 1's music.

Why are people calling it 1.5? It looks like more of the same. I feel like the sequel had so much more potential.

60 FPS on consoles
Dedicated Servers
All new subclasses (Even the 1 "new" subclass for each class is just a reworked D1 subclass. Stuff like new grenades/melees would have gone a long way.)
New playable class in general
New character races

Not only those things I've mentioned but I feel like the game has actually taken steps back in certain situations. The weapons are no longer randomly rolled, the subclasses have far less customization, etc.

Vic_Viper

Is there a good guide out yet that describes the new classes and sub classes. I know not all of them are announced yet, but Id still like to see what has been announced so I can start planning accordingly.

Warlocks loosing their revive option is a big disappointment imo. This was vital, especially when doing solo content. Was going to go Titan this time around, but then they lost their shield bubble lol.

Is there a good guide out yet that describes the new classes and sub classes. I know not all of them are announced yet, but Id still like to see what has been announced so I can start planning accordingly.

Warlocks loosing their revive option is a big disappointment imo. This was vital, especially when doing solo content. Was going to go Titan this time around, but then they lost their shield bubble lol.

I thought Bungie said that the shield bubble is still there in some form. But I don't recall where I saw that.

Warlock losing revive isn't that big of a deal for me as I just ran it as an Alt. So I'm not that disappointed.

You can always look up videos on YouTube regarding the new classes. I believe My Name is Byf had some videos regarding the classes. But I can't recall forsure though.

shermas

Meh. The game continues to look like Destiny 1.5 to me.

Bro.. I loved Destiny because of the content. I'm not looking for them to re-invent the entire game.

It's not like Madden changes the rules of football or becomes a baseball game every year.

If there are a bunch of new weapons, new missions, new/improved forge type activities, new ghosts to find, new weapons, new shards/strange coins to collect, new weapons, new armor, new weapons, new exotics to collect and it consumes my time, bring on the 1.5.

I just need lots of new content. Why are we looking for them to re-invent the game?

Juan

I thought Bungie said that the shield bubble is still there in some form. But I don't recall where I saw that.

Warlock losing revive isn't that big of a deal for me as I just ran it as an Alt. So I'm not that disappointed.

If I remember right, Luke said you still get your bubble when using the new sub-class power (holding B) when you active your Sentinel Super.

If not in Super mode, it will be a simple deployable cover or one-faced shield.

http://www.pcgamer.com/destiny-2s-luke-smith-on-pc-features-pvp-new-subclasses-and-more/2/

The other thing is that I love the Defender Titan, personally. He's a class fantasy that I really like—and in the team too, oh my gosh the sandbox team feels this way as well. So one of the Sentinel trees actually has the option to, when you cast your super, you can press and hold the super activation and you'll place a Ward of Dawn instead. I think the Ward of Dawn has this amazing property that I love in our supers when we have them, which is that you can really appreciate a well-placed ward and you can really point at one when your buddy places one badly. It sort of lives there, so it has this lingering effect on combat. It changes the arena in a temporal way, and I think that's an amazing property for a super. I would love to have more things like that in Destiny, and you can see that we do have some more things like that for Titans in the new barricade ability.

I main Warlock and losing the revive ability is really lame... I may take a Sentinel Titan in D2, seems like the best one to be honest.

Bro.. I loved Destiny because of the content. I'm not looking for them to re-invent the entire game.

Not re-inventing the game, just going further than just adding already existing content with a new skin.

Meh. The game continues to look like Destiny 1.5 to me.

I don't generally like referring to sequels as +0.5 but D2 really does look like it so far. It's just D1 all over again but different things. Still 4 planets. Still 1 raid. Still 3 classes. Still 3 subclasses. Still 3 weapons. Idk. It's gaining some things too. I forget all the technical names but there are new things in the patrol. But then it's losing things too.

Just kind of seems like a net 0. Just destiny 1 all over again. I know I'd like it. I played d1 for ages. But I also know that when I'm away from destiny, I don't really miss it. So I'm not sure I even want to jump in. I feel like if the LE was available on Amazon, I'd be there day 1. But the game stop deal is fucking lame. Haven't pre orders yet. I'll play the beta for sure. But I'm just not convinced yet. I hope I get some hype soon because I know D2 will be at least as good as d1, the problem with that is it took 2 and half years for d1 to become the game it should be.

Anyone fancy helping me through the level 40 missions?

Run out of stuff I can handle solo, and my light level still isn't high enough to unlock the Rise Of Iron campaign

Wouldn't mind giving the higher level Prison Of Elder stuff a go as well, but not too bothered about that since I've got the gist of it from the level 26 one. How much of a time investment is it to get the Taken Champions to appear when patrolling the Cosmodrone?

Anyone fancy helping me through the level 40 missions?

Run out of stuff I can handle solo, and my light level still isn't high enough to unlock the Rise Of Iron campaign

Wouldn't mind giving the higher level Prison Of Elder stuff a go as well, but not too bothered about that since I've got the gist of it from the level 26 one. How much of a time investment is it to get the Taken Champions to appear when patrolling the Cosmodrone?

They spawn pretty frequently. Shouldn't be too bad.

It's super minor...but the menus are copy and pasted into the sequel. I know it works great as it is...but it's still funny. Just to check off 1 and 2 could have been DLC forever.

While I know this is a soft reboot, I hope it checks off enough boxes for the people that felt slighted in D1. Fans like us will buy it anyways, but if D2 is simply more of the same for all those people that weren't a fan of it, this will cement the series into only being for the fans that loved D1. I'm fine with that part of it...but to grow, they need those lost fans too.

Or maybe they really don't. Hence our "D 1.5".

Destiny 1.5, this could be a Destiny expansion, etc... at this point are always going to be mentioned. They've reached meme status. So as it usually does with that kind of stuff... people who dislike Destiny will over use it. Others will parody it. In the end, it'll be completely meaningless.

Raven117

I've never heard anything but praise for Destiny 1's music.

Why are people calling it 1.5? It looks like more of the same. I feel like the sequel had so much more potential.

60 FPS on consoles
Dedicated Servers
All new subclasses (Even the 1 "new" subclass for each class is just a reworked D1 subclass. Stuff like new grenades/melees would have gone a long way.)
New playable class in general
New character races

Not only those things I've mentioned but I feel like the game has actually taken steps back in certain situations. The weapons are no longer randomly rolled, the subclasses have far less customization, etc.
Fair enough on the subclasses. Can't help but agree with ya there. Though they do seem to be reworking alot of the skills.

As for the music, you are right, just havent heard the praise in awhile!

It's super minor...but the menus are copy and pasted into the sequel. I know it works great as it is...but it's still funny. Just to check off 1 and 2 could have been DLC forever.

While I know this is a soft reboot, I hope it checks off enough boxes for the people that felt slighted in D1. Fans like us will buy it anyways, but if D2 is simply more of the same for all those people that weren't a fan of it, this will cement the series into only being for the fans that loved D1. I'm fine with that part of it...but to grow, they need those lost fans too.

Or maybe they really don't. Hence our "D 1.5".
You raise a good point about snagging more fans, but I do think some of the quality of life changes they are making will help bring new fans into the fold. In spite of all the shit D1 got, it continued to grow in popularity over the last 3 years. (I mean, gawd, do yall remember the vanilla grind? That was crazy).

I...I mean, I don't know. I still think folks are wanting the game that was originally envisioned by Bungie and still not getting. While I want that game to, I have long since resigned myself to the game that we got. What is there is good. And while the connoisseurs may not particularity say this game hasn't done enough to distinguish itself from D1, in the end, fans will buy it. Casuals will buy it. And Destiny 2 will probably solidify Destiny as a fixture in the gaming conscious.

FyreWulff

Random question for you guys from someone who hasn't played Destiny since vanilla: roughly how long, in hours, would it take to get to 400 Light after hitting the level cap? I'm not talking about optimized gear or anything, just literal max Light.

poopsocking, a couple of days

casually just enjoying the game on weekends-ish, probably a month?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
You can't please everyone. There will be people who say it's too much like Destiny 1 and then the people who says its not and then you have the people who will hate on the game anyway no matter what Bungie does because it will be more successful and popular than their garbage game. EVO hype!

ramyeon

It was a mistake to look at that thread about the Farm in General Gaming. This game brings out the worst in some people. It's crazy because my experiences in game and on the100 with the community have been nothing but extremely positive.

Top Bottom