• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT44| A Community in Discord

darthbob

BWU is up!

Mayhem Iron Banner. Clan Information for Destiny 2.

Q: Can players access their Destiny 2 Emblems for Destiny accomplishments on a different console platform or on the PC platform?
A: Not at this time. Destiny 2 Memorialization Emblems are currently tied to a player's PSN ID or Xbox Gamertag. Stay tuned to the News section of Bungie.net for updates.

Sounds like as things are currently, this is a no. BUT, it also sounds like they're possibly looking into making this change. :D

FyreWulff

tl;dr clans are no longer a grafted-on feature of the old Bungie Groups functionality but their own separate thing, and you'll be able to invite-to-clan from within Destiny 2 now.

darthbob

http://mashable.com/2017/06/29/destiny-2-loot-grind/#PGm0d6hmDgqw

Random weapon perks are gone in D2. All weapon perks are fixed.

Seems like a step backwards, and Luke's quote here makes me concerned.

"How can my second, third, and tenth Better Devils hand cannon be interesting? That's a question we should be asking and answering as quickly as we can," Smith said.

"We have ideas. While I would like nothing more than to share those ideas with you, we're up against [a deadline]. I don't know if they'll make it for our Sept. 6 [release] date. But we have some ideas that we're pretty excited about."

Juan

Seems like a radical change! Can't stop thinking Bungie didn't really like the chaos Destiny 1 was and wanted to bring more balance and control over it.

Quite frankly, this is something I really like, at least now, I know a specific weapon I use won't be worse or better than a similar weapon. And to my absolute-personal-concern, it's a step forward when it comes to loot and grind, but it may be a step backward for players looking to unlock new weapon with new perks.

When Luke says they have ideas, does it mean it will be feature that will come after launch, or just that they can't talk about this yet?

My squad and I don't understand this shit at all. They look like they need a few more months incubating. No private matches? No real details about anything. Smith, 3 months from release saying he has ideas he'd like to implement but aren't sure about it? What the fuck am I reading here?

Body_Hammer

Neo Member
I just recently got to the endgame of Destiny, looking for a group who don't mind running a noob through raids (LL381 already). Will be getting a mic soon, open to any requests: PSN bladderwrack666

Trakan

ebaDaSx.gif

What the fuck...?

So, no more weekly rotating/random vendor weapons or anything of the like? It certainly changes the game from a replayability standpoint other than simply for the gameplay/gunplay once you have whatever reward(s) a particular activity offers. This really seemingly is going to cause the thirst for new content/loot more avid than what we have in the current iteration of Destiny.

I kind of liked them going to fixed perks for the weapons in the WotM raid but I'm not so sure fixed perks for every weapon in the game is the right way to go about it. We'll see but my first thought is this is going to cut down on my playtime in between content releases/updates.

Totally in favour of getting rid of random perks in favour of guns with a usable selection. It was just RNG on top of RNG to get an amazing gun. Coupled with per-weapon tuning and we get curated guns and the possibility of a much tighter meta.

Still hunting for an amazing Eyasluna 18 months into taking PvP semi-seriously. See also super competitive streamers account-recovering to have a top loadout for Trials.

Edit: apparently I should rtfa first.

I think having made that decision they are just trying to figure out how they can make getting a duplicate gun less boring. Perhaps duplicates might unlock alternate skins or animations? But maybe they don't have time to implement the options yet.

Arrrammis

Emblems won't transfer to PC? Welp, there goes my motivation to grind grimoire.

Also, I can see the case for no randomized perks from a balance standpoint, but it really cuts down on the replayability IMO.
Back in my day, we spend 12 hours killing Omnigul in order to get a god roll pulse rifle, and we were thankful for it!

Trakan

Finally some good D2 news. Good riddance, crappy perk rolls.

Right, as if this means shitty gun rolls won't exist. Good luck with that. You can also enjoy getting the same shitty roll on a gun for the tenth time instead of getting one with better perks.

Right, as if this means shitty gun rolls won't exist. Good luck with that. You can also enjoy getting the same shitty roll on a gun for the tenth time instead of getting one with better perks.

Yep, which will affect replayability to some extent.

I wonder what they'll do concerning factions and whatnot and the corresponding gear considering in the past factions only sold one archetype per weapon type at any given time, will that change and each faction will have a weapon for each with fixed perks? If not, this would seem to drastically reduce the amount of weapons in-game in both terms of quantity and variety unless weapon distribution is vastly different this time around (and it very well could be).

And again, this seems like something that should be more relegated to the PvP side of things instead of globally across all game modes.

FyreWulff

after thinking on it a bit

+ makes things easier to balance. it's also mentioned in the article that they want to get away from "whole archetype" balancing and be able to precision balance individual weapons. you know how the gun will work no matter what situation with locked rolls.

+ instead of having a double roll (getting the weapon, then getting good perks) this means collectors only have to worry about getting the gun itself, could lead to more excitement or caring about certain weapons vs "hey, i got awesome weapon.. aw fuck it's got kneepad and icarus *shard*

+ could make it feel like less of a job to grind for a good roll on a weapon when the weapon just drops

+/- this was probably needed with the two-primaries change to the sandbox. Some rolls on two different primaries could combine to be super OP when put together, which would be insane to balance. fixing the perks makes this change easier to deal with at some cost to the player base cooking up some primary combo recipes.

+/- instead of having some weapons with lots of potential perks, the same effect can be accomplished with just making more weapons where some of them have shit perks, so it could just even out

+/- along with the change to 4v4 pvp and this change, Destiny is definitely veering back towards more classic Halo sandbox design. people may or may not like that

- brings into question the worth of getting duplicates of the weapon. right now shit rolls are basically always destined to be mats, but you have a reason, because it's shit rolls. just getting a duplicate might be a bit 'meh'.

- does take some of the lootiness out of the game for people that like that. as above, they might just replace it with having more guns anyway.

Kyoufu

This just eliminates one layer of RNG, which we can all agree is a good thing. So instead of hoping to get X to drop with X perks, you're now just hoping for X to drop. Sure, that limits the pool to a select number of weapons that have the perks you're looking for, but I'll take that over several layers of RNG which amounted to a stupid grind. I never want to farm Imago Loop again.

For me, Exotics and Raid weapons should have fixed perks as they are unique with special properties.

Every legendary should feature both a randomly rolled perk set for PvE while also having a fixed perk set when entering a PvP mode for balancing purposes. Two sets totally separate from one another on each and every weapon.

Shiv47

I'm all for never having to do shit like grinding Omnigul again. Less replayabiity? Eh, maybe. But I'm not sure I care so much at this point.

Yeah I don't I understand why it can't have PVE stats for when you are in the wild but have a limited set of stats that are the same for everyone in PVP. Just have shax tell us that for the spirit of competition the vanguard limits weapon perks while in the crucible.

The perk thing is pretty dumb tbh. Plenty of games have meaningful skill trees that have balance.

Easy solution. Every weapon has a set skill tree. When you level the weapon you lock in your choices forever. Assault rifle example: one branch clears ads really effectively. Another branch hits hard on dps for bosses and yellow health enemies. Whatever, I just pulled those out my ass. It's not a hard concept to realize into game form. It would make getting two of the same weapon good. Also you can mix and match branches. So it's not like you have to follow one path after you lock in your first node. Also maybe for 25k glimmer you can reset your nodes. Idk. Lots of ideas. Better and more creative than what Bungie is doing with this announcement.

But hey, that's just my half baked opinion.

Dez_

I'm all for never having to do shit like grinding Omnigul again. Less replayabiity? Eh, maybe. But I'm not sure I care so much at this point.

You know, as strange as that was, I found it to be oddly relaxing. It was just hours of getting Omnigul bonds with the occasional ok Grasp, but the people I was playing with wasn't too focused on the loot. We ended up just talking about a bunch of other stuff in the mean time. It was pretty fun to look back on.

I am cautiously optimistic on the changes to the loot. I'm repeating what's already been said, but I really enjoyed the thrill of getting new gear to try out the perks to see how the weapons felt. It made weapons feel a little more nuanced in a way I wasn't expecting, which kept me playing far longer than I thought I would.

Shiv47

You know, as strange as that was, I found it to be oddly relaxing. It was just hours of getting Omnigul bonds with the occasional ok Grasp, but the people I was playing with wasn't too focused on the loot. We ended up just talking about a bunch of other stuff in the mean time. It was pretty fun to look back on.

I am cautiously optimistic on the changes to the loot. I'm repeating what's already been said, but I really enjoyed the thrill of getting new gear to try out the perks to see how the weapons felt. It made weapons feel a little more nuanced in a way I wasn't expecting, which kept me playing far longer than I thought I would.

It was more like playing slots to me, meaning briefly addictive, and then it got kinda boring. Like, "Oh shit, is this the jackpot?" <looks at grasp> "Life Support, Fitted Stock, and Grenadier?? Fuck that shit" <three marks> Repeat x20 for two hours. But I got a great roll, and used it until the nerf, so I guess I can't complain too much. And getting salty over each others' good rolls was fun. Would still prefer to let it remain a cherished memory, though.

The only thing that possibly concerns me with fixed stats is that we'll see even less of a variety in the Crucible. At the moment, everyone stays loyal to the meta like it gave birth to them and that's kind of unfortunate. It's always a breath of fresh air when I'm not getting killed by a Palindrome, Ice Breaker, Wormwood or Iron Wreath.

There are two sides to the coin, I guess. I don't want to grind for my ideal roll, but I'd also like to see more variety in guns. It's going to be a wait and see thing. I'm not a game developer, so I'm not sure how you fix that.

Eidelon

I'm wondering how the mod slots will affect this. If they are attachable perks, then we end up grinding for mods instead of guns. And then Bungie can just turn off the mod slot for PVP to make it easier for them to balance things.

Gragen

I would bet money the grind will still be there on certain items. Instead of 20+ rare drops for the same gun to get the perks you want you will run the same grind to get one drop, which to me is less exciting.

The only thing that possibly concerns me with fixed stats is that we'll see even less of a variety in the Crucible. At the moment, everyone stays loyal to the meta like it gave birth to them and that's kind of unfortunate. It's always a breath of fresh air when I'm not getting killed by a Palindrome, Ice Breaker, Wormwood or Iron Wreath.

There are two sides to the coin, I guess. I don't want to grind for my ideal roll, but I'd also like to see more variety in guns. It's going to be a wait and see thing. I'm not a game developer, so I'm not sure how you fix that.

Bungie has never been good at making a wide selection of guns viable. Halo was BR or die. Now Destiny is (insert current meta gun here). Pretty disappointing.

I remember playing Bad Company 2 a lot. And I gold stared every single gun in the game. Yeah I had my favorites, but there was a wide selection of viable guns in thay game. Same with CoD4. Idk. I hope it works out for us.

Dthomp

The only way I can see fixed perks being good is if we are talking a HUGE arsenal of guns in D2 which I'm not sure we'll see. Alot of time put into this game is doing activities to get better guns and if there aren't alot of guns and they are all the same I'm not sure what the draw to keep playing will be. Without the RNG aspect of guns aren't we basically just playing evey oher FPS out there these days? I imagine when we all rip through the content of D2 and hit that wall what is going to keep us playing other then new expansions?

Dez_

The only way I can see fixed perks being good is if we are talking a HUGE arsenal of guns in D2 which I'm not sure we'll see. Alot of time put into this game is doing activities to get better guns and if there aren't alot of guns and they are all the same I'm not sure what the draw to keep playing will be. Without the RNG aspect of guns aren't we basically just playing evey oher FPS out there these days? I imagine when we all rip through the content of D2 and hit that wall what is going to keep us playing other then new expansions?

PvP.

As if the pvp in Destiny is really worth it. I mean don't get me wrong, some people love it. And that's ok if it's your cup of tea. But pvp in Destiny is kind of a joke imo. Idk if I've seen a AAA game this day in age with such lag. Not to mention the wild meta shifts.

So no, pvp isn't going to keep people entertained. Some sure, but likely not the majority.

Dthomp

Like Sub said, and in a world where EVERY game has PVP (that isn't filled with red bars, laggers, etc) not having anything to chase in the post game rewards makes me wonder just how much PVP I'll bother with in D2. Bungie has done nothing over the 3 years other then consistently make PVP more and more awful with the nerfs and strange decisions, and terrible connections (which why do we assume it's not just going to be the same with connections in D2?)

Trakan

This just eliminates one layer of RNG, which we can all agree is a good thing. So instead of hoping to get X to drop with X perks, you're now just hoping for X to drop. Sure, that limits the pool to a select number of weapons that have the perks you're looking for, but I'll take that over several layers of RNG which amounted to a stupid grind. I never want to farm Imago Loop again.

I do not agree with you. This is a loot game. You play a loot game to chase loot. This is eliminating the chase. I liked chasing the godroll Imago Loop (which I got) and chasing RNG exotics in Y1. I'm fine with certain weapons like exotics/raid weapons having fixed perks, but it's not a good idea across the board. This is a bad attempt at making PVP easier to balance. If they want that, separate PVE from PVP.

The only way this ever has a chance of working is if there was like 10x the amount of guns in the game, and it's Bungie. That's not happening. This is them continuing on with the dumbing down of the game and making it super casual. Instead of random perks, now everyone gets the same guns/armor. Instead of creating a bigger selection of perks to run in a subclass to create more variety/diversity, they go the opposite route and you can only pick from two far more limited options. It's a huge step backwards.

Top Bottom