• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT44| A Community in Discord

GlamFM

Banned
Theres zero chance thats true. Maybe for the first couple of missions but theres no way its for the whole thing.

Also, we should revive the reset raids... just saying.

Silverrrrrrr!

It´s been a while!

Do you have a clan already?

I joined Unstable...... Shadowboys(?)

EDIT: Was just shown the page of the guide in question.

It´s worded weirdly - really not sure.

Silverrrrrrr!

It´s been a while!

Do you have a clan already?

I joined Unstable...... Shadowboys(?)

EDIT: Was just shown the page of the guide in question.

It´s worded weirdly - really not sure.

It sure has Glam. I'm on Reclaimant right now. I'll see how it works out once we start playing. If I have problems getting games I'll switch. I'll check out you guys' clan.

Trakan

I would imagine this is a launch-period only thing, if true, especially if they're interested in doing campaign co-op matchmaking, it'd be nice if everyone in MM knew what they were doing.

They did a similar thing in Reach - campaign matchmaking was disabled for the first while until most of the playerbase had a decent amount of time to chew on it, and then it was opened up because it could put you in any mission in the game.

I don't care about matchmaking. That's fine, turn that off. I'm talking about inviting a friend.

Wait what!? That´s true? WHAT THE FUCK?

That´s huge.

Also thread worthy.

Can someone confirm?

I'm not going to post a link to a scan of the strategy guide, but I'll type up the paragraph.

This single player set of story missions is the key to unlocking all of the different regions in the solar system. Complete the campaign, and you can return to Ikora to "meditate" and play through these missions again, with a fireteam if you so desire. This unlocks Tokens and Reputation with her so you can purchase her equipment, including the best Guardian weapons and armor used before Ghaul's invasion.

I'll agree the wording could just be shitty, but it specifically calls them single player story missions and says you can go back later with a fireteam if you desire.

SCB3

I don't care about matchmaking, that's fine, turn that off. I'm talking about inviting a friend.

I'm not going to post a link to a scan of the strategy guide, but I'll type up the paragraph.

I'll agree the wording could just be shitty, but it specifically calls them single player story missions and says you can go back later with a fireteam if you desire.

it could mean going back with a Fireteam at a higher difficultly level, otherwise we have another Nioh situation, except this time its for a supposed MMO lite game

GlamFM

Banned

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

I feel like making a thread - should I make a thread?

phen0m24

Did you guys really do the story missions with other people?

I mean doing it with alts or for noobs to power them through, I get, but what's the biggie? They weren't typically all that hard.

dangrib

Hey folks! I’m thinking of picking up D2 on XB1 and it looks like I won’t have any friends to play with.

Is there a specific Xbox crew I should reach out to? Sorry, I’m new to all of this!

WeTeHa

I mean doing it with alts or for noobs to power them through, I get, but what's the biggie? They weren't typically all that hard.

To me it's not a deal breaker like some people on the gaming side are suggesting, but I was looking forward to playing through the full story with 2 friends :(

I hope this is all just a badly written paragraph and everything will be cleared up.

Nodnol

Wait what!? That´s true? WHAT THE FUCK?

That´s huge.

Also thread worthy.

Can someone confirm?

From what is said in the guide...

It says that after you've completed the campaign, you can visit Ikora to replay the missions (some sort of Warlock-voodoo meditation) "with a fireteam if you wish".

Spoiler for what doing the above leads to...

It also makes reference that you can level up your rep with Ikora by doing this, gaining access to gear from BEFORE Ghaul's attack on the tower. Hmm?

deafmedal

Uhhh, yes?! Dom and I played most of D.1 co-op and for the expansions I played with various odd people... Possibly even you lol

Tovarisc

If you can't co-op in story missions then this game gets refunded.

Well wording in guide isn't particularly vague so surprised if there is SP co-op outside of this mechanic after completion.

It also makes reference that you can level up your rep with Ikora by doing this, gaining access to gear from BEFORE Ghaul's attack on the tower. Hmm?

There is healthy amount Year 1 exotics returning as "new content"

I hope to god this means
you can get the devil that you know

Nope

It says that after you've completed the campaign, you can visit Ikora to replay the missions (some sort of Warlock-voodoo meditation) "with a fireteam if you wish".

I hope to god this means
you can get the devil that you know

My guess is that
Homecoming plays exactly like the beta, where we start as level 20 and with a bunch of legendary gear, then got reset back to level 1 after it.

Nodnol

I would imagine;

Ikora might be the gateway to returning Exotics and MAYBE Legendaries?

The guide doesn't touch on end game stuff AT ALL, apart from saying about how to get there, what to expect.

Interesting thing regarding Power level, what the end-game looks like;

Gear in the wild and from engrams seems to plateau at 260. From there on in, Milestones seem to be the best way to move forward. These seem to be replacing bounties. Milestones are weekly and daily challenges, unspecified, but the guide meantions the Flashpoint is the place to start.

Sounds like it's rewarding general weekly play, built around the weekly reset, but also diversifying where people are gravitating to.

Sane_Man

We need Luke to confirm if the solo-only story is true. It's not a deal-breaker but it's mighty disappointing if true.

Especially with it coming after the rumours about there only being
5 strikes
and infusion not being 1-1. Hype is deflating a bit.

robo

Doesnt bother me, i play the story first time solo anyway.

After that i can play coop with my buds on harder levels, 2nd play throughs etc.

Dez_

While I honestly prefer to start the game solo, no coop for the start sounds like a strange decision, considering Bungie's track record.

If true this is highly disappointing; might even be a deal breaker for some people. We really need Bungie to clarify this and if it's true shame on them for keeping this secret. Though I did beat Destiny 1's story by myself I was actually looking forward to playing with friends or gaffers at launch.Destiny 1 story was co-op from start to finish after the first mission(I hope this is the case)

UberLevi

While I honestly prefer to start the game solo, no coop for the start sounds like a strange decision, considering Bungie's track record.

I've been saying this on like every page of the thread in gaming side but I really think this decision comes down to technical issues with the campaign being used as a way to introduce features and mechanics to the player as they progress. Because of that, attempting to play with someone who has different progression than you would lead to an asynchronous co-op experience.

Feorax

I genuinely can't think of a good reason why the game would be solo only for the first playthrough.

Destiny is sold as a social experience. Everything about the first game was built around you getting a team together to cooperatively take on everything the game throws at you. This would seem like a massive oversight.

The last thing Destiny needs to do is discourage cooperative play.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
is D2 available to preload on PS4 (uk)?

tempted to buy it even though i'll main PC come october 24th. if there is a preload i'll buy it now but if i need to wait until the 6th to start downloading it then i'll just wait until then.

Marvel

could never
is D2 available to preload on PS4 (uk)?

tempted to buy it even though i'll main PC come october 24th. if there is a preload i'll buy it now but if i need to wait until the 6th to start downloading it then i'll just wait until then.
Yup has been for a couple days.

ACR0019

I've been saying this on like every page of the thread in gaming side but I really think this decision comes down to technical issues with the campaign being used as a way to introduce features and mechanics to the player as they progress. Because of that, attempting to play with someone who has different progression than you would lead to an asynchronous co-op experience.

Yeah, I think you're spot on about the asynchronous nature of the campaign influencing this decision. A good example of this is Bungie's comments about people receiving an exotic weapon early in the campaign. Deej has said on record that many players quit D1 before they even received an exotic anything so Bungie wanted to let players experience them earlier in D2. That kind of strict loot drip only happens if the campaign is a tightly constructed leveling experience, which is the opposite experience to D1. Regardless, people are severely overreacting. At this point, Bungie is damned if they do and damned if they don't.

"Whoa! Two randoms joined me while I was fighting with Zavala. That kind of seamless co-op gameplay never happened in D1. If the missions are all like this, count me in."

^ I saw TONS of people post this sentiment about Homecoming. Yes, I'll concede that those players might've been referring to the overall feel of the level, but a good majority of them also cited how cool that seamless co-op gameplay with Zavala felt. The current line of reasoning (Bungie is unbelievably stupid if they don't include co-op campaign on the first play-through) seems ridiculous. People are losing their minds for no reason. Wait and see, people.

Rainmaker

Banned
The current line of reasoning (Bungie is unbelievably stupid if they don't include co-op campaign on the first play-through) seems ridiculous. People are losing their minds for no reason. Wait and see, people.

There's nothing ridiculous about looking forward to playing a game based around co-op that you've been waiting on for a long time with a group of friends only to realize you may not be able to play through the story together on release and being bummed out about the prospect.

Marvel

could never
thanks. i did hear something of it but wasn't sure if it was available in the UK or not.
No worries, get to downloading! XD oh there'll be a patch to dl too, so once the game is done, hit check for updates and get that too. Save you waiting around on release day on a 7GB patch.

ACR0019

There's nothing ridiculous about looking forward to playing a game based around co-op that you've been waiting on for a long time with a group of friends only to realize you may not be able to play through the story together on release and being bummed out about the prospect.

Yeah, I empathize with you on that. From my perspective, I'm just baffled at the venemous hyperbole surrounding the issue and wanted to argue against it in my post.

6am on the west coast. I'm sure we'll see a tweet confirming or denying the co-op confusion somewhere within the next 3 hours. Until then, calm down.

Personally my crew and I are all on at midnight. We already have 3 fire teams sorted and ready to run. So if this holds true, I will be disappointed.

Feorax

Yeah, I empathize with you on that. From my perspective, I'm just baffled at the venemous hyperbole surrounding the issue and wanted to argue against it in my post.

Destiny has always had its over the top detractors, and stuff like this is what they live for.

It's just disappointing that this kind of decision is the kind that shits on long term fans that are frequently looking for the positives.

UberLevi

Same here. I think that gamer outrage reaches a whole new level when it comes to Destiny. Relatively minor issues in the grand scheme become blown out of proportion. I understand there's people who want to hop into the story with their buddies at launch, but if the nature of the campaign requires that you unlock the necessary features to do that first then people have to understand that there's a rationale behind the decision and it's not just Bungie randomly deciding to remove something and say "This'll really get em' going, just watch." A lot of people seem to think Bungie is this big bad that keeps trying to sabotage their own game by doing things for no reason, but that's not how game design works. There's purpose behind changes like this. Whether you agree with the changes or not. Being disappointed is one thing.

Seeing stuff like this:

Sounds stupid, therefore probably true.
Ridiculous if true. Playing the shitty campaign will only be bearable with friends. Of course Destiny Gaf is already in full defence mode.
lmao, another reason to not get this game.

When there's logical rationale behind the decision (once again, whether you agree or not there's purpose to design change) really makes me upset because people don't put on their thinking caps before they start throwing their hands up. It's jarring how many people can play a franchise and then immediately turn on a developer the moment they notice the dev team hasn't read their mind and implemented things as if they were lead producer.

Are console and PC going to have separate OTs since they're on different release schedules?

Nothing is set in stone. My own thinking is that there would be one PC OT at PC launch, then fold everyone into one community OT.

It'd be great if they pushed release or activate servers on Tuesday, Wednesday is such a weird day to drop a game.

They were going to launch on Friday, but they don’t think the servers could handle it. So they moved it to be earlier in the week. I suspect it’d be Tuesday, but in the US, Monday is Labor Day, and there wouldn’t be midnight launches at stores & all Bungie’s staff would have to spend Labor Day prepping.

Top Bottom