• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Nintendo Treehouse drop a MAJOR spoiler during their Breath of the Wild stream?

Cerium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H59M89AKefs&t=15m

Transcript:

Rep1: Alright so I couldn't climb up there. As we mentioned, these shrine walls are very smooth, very slick, so Link can't climb them but that ice pillar, I'm actually able to create something that I can climb up. Now, I have this gate here that's in the way. Oh well, sorry, can't save Hyrule. It's over.

Rep2: Noooo, Hero of Time, where are you going? Oops.
Now it's completely possible that this individual is under the mistaken belief that every Link is the Hero of Time... or she knows something we don't and casually spit it out during a live stream. You decide.

Edit:

A surprising number of people are having trouble understanding the significance of this so here's a summary. In most Zelda games you play as a different reincarnation of Link. The protagonist of Wind Waker was the Hero of Winds. The protagonist of Twilight Princess was the Hero of Twilight. The Hero of Time is a title reserved solely for the protagonist of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask and has never been used for any other Link; the story cut at the beginning of Wind Waker is a very specific reference to the events of Ocarina of Time.

Busaiku

Probably just a mistake.
More likely, this game will feature time travel, but it's not gonna be Ocarina of Time Link.

Dystify

There's some spoilers and speculation out there about the story and how certain elements of the backstory (100 years ago) will be implemented. Link may be the Hero of Time once again. :p

Neiteio

And Aonuma sighs, crosses out Breath of the Wild, and draws a fourth timeline branching from Ocarina of Time.
"And in this timeline, Link is a girl--"

*Aonuma can't keep a straight face and spits out his beer laughing, getting it all over his pink polo with popped collar.*

brad-t

They were probably just using "Hero of Time" to refer to Link more generally, but uh, I kinda already expect that it's Ocarina of Time Link.

a while back didnt they call the place he woke up a Resurrection cave.

Yep.

I mean, the Deku Tree pretty much confirms it's the Hero of Time. The sprout has knowledge of Link (inherited from the old Deku Tree), but Link has no memory of the Deku Tree (due to trauma-based amnesia or something, I guess).

DataGhost

I don't think dissecting their every comment is going to help us here. Going to take a guess that they just said that not because they actually knew about the story spoilers but more so about a title for Link that came up at the moment

Mr-Joker

Banned
Are we ignoring the fact that Ocarina of Time Link is left handed and yet Breath of the Wild Link is Right Handed?

I still don't think that they are the same Link and that comment was just made in jest.

Neiteio

Are we ignoring the fact that Ocarina of Time Link is left handed and yet Breath of the Wild Link is Right Handed?

I still don't think that they are the same Link and that comment was just made in jest.
We might as well ignore it, just like we ignore the fact Hyrule never matches up 1:1 between games despite being the same kingdom

Cerium

I wouldn't take anything away from that.

I mean was the Hero of Twilight left or right handed?

komplanen

If it's in promotional material it's not a spoiler.

Treehouse streams are promotional material. So,

Accidents happen, you know. People might slip a thing or two that they weren't supposed to because these live streams you call "promotional materials" aren't exactly acted and pre-recorded.

SalvaPot

I clicked on this and got spoiled.

Honestly I am cool with that, I guess it means its true that this is the failed hero timeline.

Cerium

I thought Link in general was the hero of time?
Nope. In Wind Waker he was the Hero of Winds. Then he was the Hero of Twilight. Etc.

Hero of Time is a title reserved for the protagonist of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. This would, in a way, make Breath of the Wild part of a trilogy.

RagnarokX

But that tree died in OoT. And it's heavily implied that the tree is the, or at least was, the king of Hyrule.

We don't know how the events of OoT in this timeline played out. They could be radically different. Also their are two old male voices in the trailer. One is the Deku Tree, the other is the King of Hyrule. The King of Hyrule is likely the Old Man on the plateau since he looks like all of the other Kings of Hyrule, has a similar voice, and has theme music that sounds like Hyrule Castle's theme.

Zekes!

I think a lot of things point in that direction, yes

which if true, OoT Link has it roughest outta all Links

"Hero of Time" is probably the most well known title of Link (it's even referenced repeatedly in Wind Waker, where he makes no appearance) so it could just be a slip of the tongue. It would be cool if true though.

KingBroly

Banned
It's been one of the more popular theories thrown out there since E3, so it wouldn't surprise me. It'd also explain some other things.

Seil

I wouldn't take anything away from that.

I mean was the Hero of Twilight left or right handed?

Left, because the GameCube version was standard. It was mirrored for the Wii version, and when HD came along it was back to being left handed. For all intents and purposes, Link was always left handed there, we just had a different view of things on the Wii.

If we count things being mirrored, then the Hero of Time was potentially right handed too due to Master Quest in OoT 3D, but that's nonsense.

I don't think it's tied to the story,

Unless this opens the gate for a 4th TIME LINE! (Treehouse said something stupid that splitted the story)

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Accidents happen, you know. People might slip a thing or two that they weren't supposed to because these live streams you call "promotional materials" aren't exactly acted and pre-recorded.

Case in point: The time one of the cast of Rogue One accidentally dropped a huge spoiler during a press conference. It does happen.

Aikidoka

I've been under the impression that Link is always the Hero of Time. Like he's specifically referred to that in the WW opening story cut, and all Link are reincarnations, sooooo?

Cerium

I've been under the impression that Link is always the Hero of Time. Like he's specifically referred to that in the WW opening story cut, and all Link are reincarnations, sooooo?

You are mistaken. That opening story cut is specifically referring to the protagonist of Ocarina of Time.

Mariolee

Can't watch the video but why did they say "oops" if not in reference to letting a spoiler slip? Did the other rep mess up in the game or something?

Kyzer

Banned
Hero of Time = Link. I dont see the problem here. Its like saying bowser being revealed for mario is a sppiler. Its a part of every game.

Gaspard

Which games was the Temple of Time featured in again?

Also what does this do to petty Skeleton Link in Twilight Princess?

Top Bottom