• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did something happen with PAX or Penny Arcade today?

jediyoshi

This has been going on for years now. Dickwolves, tentacle rape kickstarters, trans ignorance etc. Surprised people aren't more aware... Oh wait no I'm not. Fuck Penny Arcade.

You mean fuck people? Why do you hate people? So much hate, Cartman86.

thumb

Banned
No, you have just described biological sex.

This is not an issue that can be resolved on a gaming message board. On-average sex differences in cognition and motivation are very complex and have been the focus of intense study for decades.

I would only remind you that while gender is a "social construct," you should ask yourself why humans tend to create only particular social constructs and some social constructs more consistently than others.

Edit - But I should be clear that I'm commenting on a broader scientific issue rather than Gabe's comments. I'm talking only about on-average psychological differences between self-identified men and women.

Cartman86

Banned
Find me those people who have never said anything wrong or thought a disrespectful thought in their entire life, and I'll abandon my love for everyone else and follow only them.

Also, when is everyone going to learn that Twitter is not a chat room. It's a fucking megaphone.

Well one is thought crime and absurd to even discuss. I don't expect perfection. I used to hold views I find quite bad today. I expect people to correct them though.

i guess this boils down to what we mean when we call someone a woman. gender or sex? in my general usage i usually mean to imply sex.

also, what's a cis?

someone who is cisgendered identifies with their biological sex. I am a male who identifies as a male, I am cisgendered.

A word describing what genitalia you have. I mean they have the same fucking root word.
This PC crap is out of control. >_>

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gender

The behavioral, cultural, or psychological traits typically associated with one sex
I'm not even sure if I'm being attacked from the right or the left here but the fact is that gender is, literally by definition, a subjective category. That's something everyone has to deal with. There's nothing to argue here.

ReconPeon

I don't even understand why people get so upset about what a random person says on Twitter. Who cares? People say messed up stuff everywhere, why even give them your attention? If you honestly KNOW the person, that's one thing, but if you don't then why bother? I guess some people just love the drama.

I agree with you. I think its ridiculous. Everyone should be allowed their own opinion on a subject and arguing with them to convince them otherwise is just as ignorant as you feel their opinion was in the first place.

Geedorah

If you want to be a welcoming business then you should perhaps not scare away people? The whole rape joke thing didn't just stop as a strip or Twitter feud. They made shirts and at PAX itself he drew the offending image on stage. That colors this latest event.

Maybe they aren't the intended market? Maybe, just maybe, you don't have to accept everyone to be a successful company? Should I be unquestioningly accepted at a Women's Health clinic meeting for abused women, even though I'm a white 20-something male? Just points to consider.

Orayn

A word describing what genitalia you have. I mean they have the same fucking root word.
This PC crap is out of control. >_>

A person's bioogical sex is a fairly straightforward anatomical thing in most cases. Gender, however, is a social construct that's meant different things to different people over the years.

It's not "PC out of control" to separate those words any more than separating the ideas of race, ethnicity, heritage, etc.

Honestly, I think most of the dumb comes from Krahulik. Holkins knows enough to know that he doesn't know everything and that, as a straight white guy, he really doesn't know what women or LGBT people go through.

It means that you identify with the gender that you were assigned with (by society, your own physiology) at birth. I'm a woman who thinks of herself as female, thus I'm a cis-woman. A man who thinks of himself as female, would be a trans-woman.

He probably doesn't care but at least he doesn't pretend that he knows because he wouldn't be able to know unless he has transgender friends.

I think we're getting to the point where every word everybody says is so scrutinized for not being inclusive enough, anything that is construed as insensitive basically has the potential of setting a whole bunch of people off and can potentially end your career and ruin your life, are we supposed to call every single biological woman a "cis" woman now? How do we use the word "he" or "she" if a man can be a woman and a woman can be a man without accidentally offending people? Do we now live in a world where people are not allowed to hold conservative views anymore lest they want to be viewed as bigots?

His only mistake is trying to reason with the extreme left. Never try to reason with the extreme left; they can't see through their intense hatred. They're the angriest people on the planet.

Schnozberry

Gabe is so utterly wrong, and rather than blowing hot air and dimissing all the many people who are calling him out, he should be taking this opportunity to listen and learn.

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but he posted on PA about correspondence he had with a trans friend this morning. And his attitude continues to be transphobic and dismissive.

Saying things like "[get] off Twitter and actually talk" is a total cop out, ignoring the hundreds of people who have made articulate counterpoints. Also, no, "Your opinion is your opinion" doesn't count when you're openly spouting transphobic bullshit, especially from a position of power. And him trying to pass his continued defensiveness as mere "sarcastic remarks" is yet another cop out.

And, to top it all off, he tells his friend that her identity is invalid. "I am happy to treat someone however they want to be treated. Wanna be a guy or a girl or a fox or whatever and I will be happy to treat you that way. But I think that is very different from the physical reality of your human body."

So disgusting and irresponsible.

Who does he have a responsibility to exactly? Nobody has to take his opinion seriously, and he's not in a position of authority over anyone. He does have a bit of notoriety because a lot of people enjoy his comics and commentary, but to me this reads like a guy who got defensive about his own ignorance, and it was a mistake he later admitted.

I do my best not to prejudge people, and sometimes I'm a miserable failure at it. I think if I made some of my own interpersonal mistakes publicly, that a lot of people would think less of me. I'd hope that people would forgive me for my errors, and he seems pretty sincere about admitting that he was the asshole here, so I'll do the same for him. I don't have a lot of patience with people who are seemingly looking for a reason to be offended, and I think some people were in this situation.

I do not believe that was ever in question - by reading the response he posted on his site (including an email chain, etc), he isn't about "not accepting" anyone. His arguement, and by virtue mine I guess, is that there is a need/ability to define genders in a purely physiological fashion in common conversation. That or I'm misunderstanding what is pissing people off.

But why? Why did he need to take such a hard line on it? Why couldn't he just listen to people not liking the purely physiological definition?

If people have problems with such a definition, why is it such a terrible request to have that changed?

is twitter the worst thing to happen to the internet

ThinkingGradualAwesome.gif

Personally I wish we could find another suffix than -phobic, because I feel like it cheapens actual phobias that involve sheer terror.

Yeah, you can joke that homophobic or transphobic people are terrified, that their worldview is shattered and they're extremely afraid, or whatever. It's still different.

You could say bigoted or intolerant, sure. Trans-intolerant. Phobic has just always rubbed me the wrong way.

Phobia translates literally to fear, but in the clinical-psychological sense it has always meant 'aversion,' which is spot-on. It's the right term, and it doesn't mean terror.

I hope I'm not offending anyone by admitting that a lot of this seems unneedingly complex...or at the very least, there is some uncommon knowledge that should be disseminated.

wildfire

Banned
As a person with a penis, let's say I want to be known as a woman. It makes me more comfortable with how I want to be seen.

You refuse to acknowledge me as a woman, and continue on a rampage of posts like "women have vaginas, I will do no such thing."

Why would you refuse my request when it doesn't harm you at all? Do you have a problem with the way I want to be presented? It's offputting, and I simply would not want to have anything to do with people stubborn enough to refuse such a trivial request.
I believe Gabe is on the record for acknowledging people as the gender they want to be known for. He is defending hos right to still think otherwise and express that in broad terms even if he'll be polite at an individual level.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Women can have penises. Men can have vaginas. Sometimes people are born with genitalia that don't neartly fit in either of the two binary gender constructs.

We need to validate and honor peoples' gender identities, regardless of what they're packing in their pants.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I agree with you. I think its ridiculous. Everyone should be allowed their own opinion on a subject and arguing with them to convince them otherwise is just as ignorant as you feel their opinion was in the first place.

Really?

How are his comments any better or less deserving of criticism than if he said, "I think men should be attracted only to women and vice versa," or "I think white people should only reproduce with other white people."

It's bigotry and intolerance. Saying that you won't recognize someone's psychological identity because you have certain views is not something to be accepted in my opinion. You're causing mental anguish just for the sake of being stubborn.

EmiPrime

cis = not trans. That's the three word explanation.

Not all trans people want surgery and a lot of those who do can't afford it (it's very expensive). There are also those who can't have surgery because of physical disability.

To say "if you have a vagina you are a woman" deliberately to wind up trans people is douchebag behaviour.

Dickwolves round two, here we go again.

I really wish he'd stop doing this shit.

Yes, who could forget his comic in which he made fun of a person for failing to come to the aid of a male rape victim.

Clearly that means he loves and promotes rape.

Christ, people get so incredibly addicted to outrage that they just go hunting for it anywhere. It's a miserable way to live your life.

This is like a white person objecting to be called white.

"I'm not white, I am normal!"

I've seen "cis" used not only as a descriptor, but as an insult. It can have negative connotations to some people. Doesn't personally bother me but I can see why some people have a problem with the term.
Anyways, videogames. Both sides should stop getting their undergarments of choice in a bunch.

8bits

Banned
can anyone explain why saying people with vaginas are women is offensive and worth boycotting?

Because the most vocal and closed minded people are the ones who disagree with that statement. To hold certain gender beliefs, which are opposite from the most vocal, will always be considered wrong.

THAT's considered offensive now?

Give me a fucking break. People are so absolutely desperate to be offended. Get over yourselves.

Are you saying that transgendered people have no right to have objections to things? Are you debating the validity of transgendered people in general? Or are you just sweeping the complaints under the rug of "hysterical offended people" and dismissing their comments?

Cartman86

Banned
Maybe they aren't the intended market? Maybe, just maybe, you don't have to accept everyone to be a successful company? Should I be unquestioningly accepted at a Women's Health clinic meeting for abused women, even though I'm a white 20-something male? Just points to consider.
So you are suggesting that the Penny Arcade Expo should not be welcoming to trans people? Would you say the same about gay people? Or people of color? My post was only to suggest that being inclusive could be good for business. In the end my motivations are in empathy for other human beings. I really don't care about their unethical business.

DinnerRevealer

Neo Member
Also just so everybody's clear, cis- just means the opposite of trans-, which is why it's been co-opted into this context. I leared about it in chemistry, don't know where else its used. It has to do with orientation of organic molecules.

_/ = cis
_/ = trans
/

It's like how pro is the opposite of con. You're not going to say trans-people/normal people or natural or whatever because normal and natural imply that the opposite is a negative thing.

DMiz

No I'm pretty sure I just described gender. As in the two different genders.

Now if your talking about historical social roles that have been assigned to ether gender... well that an entirely different conversation.

No, semantically, you really did describe biological sex.

It's a sociological term: sex refers to physiology, but gender refers to role. There's a lot of literature out there, but in essence, it's what the sociological community uses to distinguish these elements when in discussion.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
i thought the dickwolves comic was hilarious to be honest. for all the fantasy murdering gamers do, it's odd that merely the implication of fantasy rape hit a nerve.

snap0212

This is the first time I've heard about there being a difference between gender and sex (English isn't my first language). Do we know he was talking about it from a psychological standpoint? He might have been talking strictly about the biology/chromosomes or whatever.

Cartman86

Banned
Yes, who could forget his comic in which he made fun of a person for failing to come to the aid of a male rape victim.

Christ, people get so incredibly addicted to outrage that they just go hunting for it anywhere. It's a miserable way to live your life.

Sure. Totally what that controversy was really about...

Hexa

jbsaJ20eRMfeCz.png

THAT's considered offensive now?

Give me a fucking break. People are so absolutely desperate to be offended. Get over yourselves.

I know right.
What are people going to get offended at next?
Some doctor getting yelled at by the parents when he calls a baby a boy due to the ultrasound...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I think you're making some pretty big assumptions about how people live their day to day lives. I also hope you're never offended about anything and look to other people for sympathy.

As a person with a penis, let's say I want to be known as a woman. It makes me more comfortable with how I want to be seen.

You refuse to acknowledge me as a woman, and continue on a rampage of posts like "women have vaginas, I will do no such thing."

Why would you refuse my request when it doesn't harm you at all? Do you have a problem with the way I want to be presented? It's offputting, and I simply would not want to have anything to do with people stubborn enough to refuse such a trivial request.

On the blog Gabe quite openly said to the trans coworker "if you want to be treated as a woman, I'll treat you as a woman, no fuss". What he added was that doesn't change your underlying physical state. But apparently, even distinguishing between sex/gender isn't enough anymore.

Nothing, just someone stating facts. A bit bluntly, disregarding the more complex variables. But twitter is short and only allows for reactionary posts.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Women can have penises. Men can have vaginas. Sometimes people are born with genitalia that don't neartly fit in either of the two binary gender constructs.

We need to validate and honor peoples' gender identities, regardless of what they're packing in their pants.

that's true, and i dont mind calling people whatever they want, that's harmless enough. but gabe seems to be talking about sex rather than gender, no?

This is the first time I've heard about there being a difference between gender and sex (English isn't my first language). Do we know he was talking about it from a psychological standpoint? He might have been talking strictly about the biology/chromosomes or whatever.

If he was trying to be understood, he would have made an effort to communicate better. Instead, he started arguing and hard lining.

Top Bottom