• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did something happen with PAX or Penny Arcade today?

Van Owen

Banned
Do you think that trans people just happen to be "hypersensitive" or do you think that the people most hated by society probably do actually have more shit to resist and speak up about? Because the latter scenario is reality.

I can think of a lot more people society hates than transgendered.

But let's overlook all the charity PA does for sick children because someone said "boys have a penis" on twitter, cause that's basically as bad as saying all transgendered people should be lynched.

kswiston

Then what is it? How is it that gender roles and clothing norms have changed over time if this is not a subjective phenomena? How is it that it can be divorced from biological sex in the first place?

Some traditional gender roles have a biological basis. Others are social constructs. It's not completely one or the other. There was a movement in psychology a while back that tried to explain away the differences between men and women completely as modern social constructs, but comparative behaviour studies with primates and other species are not really aligning with that belief.

Here is an example of such a study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2755553/

Have the same studies been performed in both cases, or is it a foregone conclusion that those other people, the ones who believe they are Jesus or an anthropomorphic fennec fox, are simply crazy?

It seems obvious, which is why I would think we'd want to take care not to let preconceptions cloud the science.

Considering that it is not that uncommon for a person who is physically female (right down to having female genitalia) to be genetically male (possessing a Y chromosome), I don't think it is much of a stretch to say that some people are going to be mentally/neurologically female, even though they are otherwise physically male.

After that, it is a matter of debating what defines a man/woman. The role they identify with in society? Their physiology? Their genetic makeup? From a social perspective, I'd say the first one makes the most sense. Just like, biologically, I think most people would agree having a vagina/penis is a better indicator of your sex than having a XX or XY chromosomal composition.

Annubis

Wait wait wait... so saying that women have vaginas is offensive?
Is saying men have dicks also offensive?

Did I log into bizarro GAF or something?

Yes. He's confusing the two. And people in this thread seem to also erronously think that they are the same. This is the differentiation:

Biological:
Sex: Male / Female / Hermaphrodite(intersex)

Cultural:
Gender: Man / Women / Etc (other esoteric cultures may further categorize but western/eastern trends toward the dyadic)

*I'm still a bit unclear as too the history of the issue, so I'm only going off the captures generously provided by other Gaffers. The above is correct though.

I wasn't there when the committees decided this. Mayhaps you have a link or some other source that defines them as such? It appears my dictionaries are out of date as they make no such distinction.

Velkyn

that's fair but did he say anything offensive that was specifically targetted at transgender people, right? it sounds like he just uses 'woman' and 'man' to specify a persons biological sexuality. and it seems like the usage of 'woman' and 'man' still hasn't been properly redefined in a post-transgender society so that doesn't seem particularly unfair.

to further the point, i just googled the definition of 'woman':

wom·an
/ˈwo͝omən/
Noun
An adult human female.

it's woefully vague, all things considered.

Well as I understand it, the "you are a woman if you have a vagina" was directed at a transgendered co-worker of Gabe's. I don't think it's a statement of belief for or against transgendered people as a whole, but it was a bit of a dickish thing to say to a transgendered person in general.

Mike is also known for being very Christian (he famously kicked Jerry out of his house for being an atheist), which might have influenced his comments.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Looking at it from a Trans person's point of view, he's saying that you're not what you are (or think of yourself as), all because of the sexual organs you were born with. I can see where someone might take offense to that.

is he? i think he's saying that he doesn't consider a gendered woman, sexually female unless she has a vagina.

i really think this boils down to him using the word 'woman' differently. but in the end i personally have no problem calling people whatever they want to be called, except for like, 'master'.

Sqorgar

Banned
Transgender people and their staunch defenders are probably the most hypersensitive minority group I can think of. I honestly think some of them get off on being offended and trying to publicly shame people for not agreeing 100% with their view of the world.
I think, and this is probably going to come off as a bit insensitive, but that gender has been a single thing for almost the entirety of the human race. There have been aberrations, but they were either ignored or ridiculed to the point of exclusion. But in trying to build a more inclusive society (a good thing - more or less unprecedented in human history), we now have to confront the ideas of gender identification and what that truly means.

I think transgendered people are extremely sensitive to how gendered words are used precisely because they don't accurately describe them - or worse, accurately describe them in a manner different from that which they wish to be described as. Someone who is born a man but identifies as a woman will never find peace with themselves or with society as long as nobody else identifies them as a woman also. Since we are talking about issues core to their very identity, the defensiveness is justified and expected - though not, in my opinion, appropriate.

All this cis/trans talk is making me think of Organic Chemistry. *shivers*

Honestly, I know nothing about transgender issues, but from where I stand, there seems to be an overreaction from both sides. PA Guy should have never let it get this out of hand and those criticizing shouldn't have wasted their time.

8bits

Banned
Trans people are murdered all the time for being trans.

Nobody cares about an childish millionaire getting a couple of meaningless death threats on twitter.

Wait...so just because he holds opinions which you don't agree with and because he has more money than you, death threats mean nothing? The fact that you lack the value of the life of those who you disagree with is very discomforting.

Apparently it's fine if you send out death threats to people who are:
1- rich
2- white
3- males

why?

But it isn't.

Nobody said that.

You are posting things that nobody said.

Hence, you are posting a strawman argument.

Wait...so just because he holds opinions which you don't agree with and because he has more money than you, death threats mean nothing? The fact that you lack the value of the life of those who you disagree with is very discomforting.

Not what was said. Boy GAF loves to fail reading comprehension today!

Mike is also known for being very Christian (he famously kicked Jerry out of his house for being an atheist), which might have influenced his comments.

He's actually not Christian, but he believes in god. Essentially one of those who doesn't like the religious construct but is still a theist.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The distinction between "sex" and "gender" is outmoded and problematic.

Any attempt to generalize "vagina = woman" and "penis = man" is not okay. In doing so, you're ignoring the existence of every single person who lives a sexuality that doesn't fit those narrow constructs.

Even if we're strictly talking about anatomy, why do you say that "vagina = female sex" and "penis = male sex"? It's a totally arbitrary and made-up idea that, yes, has existed for hundreds if not thousands of years. But it's not real. It's not science. It's just something someone made up centuries ago, and not surprisingly, it's painfully out of date now.

antitrop

Wait wait wait... so saying that women have vaginas is offensive?
Is saying men have dicks also offensive?

Did I log into bizarro GAF or something?

No, you just clearly don't understand the entire situation and I have no idea why you were so eager to show everyone that.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass

Nobody cares about an childish millionaire getting a couple of meaningless death threats on twitter.

Post of the thread.

Also it's one thing to say something potentially insensitive on Twitter, it's another when you react like an insecure asshole when you get called out for it.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

This is not an acceptable view to take on death threats no matter the intended recipient. You should be ashamed of yourself. Your no better than the people you hate.

Velkyn

Death threats are wrong, but the death threats aren't representative of those making counterpoints to Gabe's rather insensitive stance, nor do they detract from the fact that he said a very insensitive thing to someone on a topic he knows next to nothing about, and this offended them.

EmiPrime

If you really think Gabe is at risk of being murdered because of the stupid things he posts on twitter you are as simple as he is.

guek

Banned
Seems to me this is based on a confusion surrounding semantics more than anything else. Gabe is taking about biological gender, not gender identification, he's just poorly articulating himself as usual. If saying having two X chromosomes makes you a female is offensive, I'm not sure what to tell you.

But of course people will jump in to fill the gaps to fit their own narrative. Hate is a fun activity for us humans

Is it appropriate to post something from Life of Brian? Why yes, I think it is.

FRANCIS: Why are you always on about women, Stan?
STAN: I want to be one.
REG: What?
STAN: I want to be a woman. From now on, I want you all to call me 'Loretta'.
REG: What?!
LORETTA: It's my right as a man.
JUDITH: Well, why do you want to be Loretta, Stan?
LORETTA: I want to have babies.
REG: You want to have babies?!
LORETTA: It's every man's right to have babies if he wants them.
REG: But... you can't have babies.
LORETTA: Don't you oppress me.
REG: I'm not oppressing you, Stan. You haven't got a womb! Where's the foetus going to gestate?! You going to keep it in a box?!
LORETTA: (crying)
JUDITH: Here! I-- I've got an idea. Suppose you agree that he can't actually have babies, not having a womb, which is nobody's fault, not even the Romans', but that he can have the right to have babies.
FRANCIS: Good idea, Judith. We shall fight the oppressors for your right to have babies, brother. Sister. Sorry.
REG: What's the point?
FRANCIS: What?
REG: What's the point of fighting for his right to have babies when he can't have babies?!
FRANCIS: It is symbolic of our struggle against oppression.
REG: Symbolic of his struggle against reality.
Always gets me and kind of sums up the point I guess (sex/gender/etc.).

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
But let's overlook all the charity PA does for sick children because someone said "boys have a penis" on twitter, cause that's basically as bad as saying all transgendered people should be lynched.

There's more than one charity for sick children.

Gestault

Looking at it from a Trans person's point of view, he's saying that you're not what you are (or think of yourself as), all because of the sexual organs you were born with. I can see where someone might take offense to that.

By the same token, I can understand the conceptual resistance to changing language to fit individual desire if that language has a purpose. It's very likely Holkins is thinking of this in terms of "sex." He's saying in effect, "no, just because you want to identity as a woman doesn't make you biologically a woman," when the situation being reacted to is more in terms of gender.

Look at it this way: many labels do exist for a reason. If a person were born with green eyes, but deeply believed that they were "meant" to have brown eyes, I don't think their California license should say "brown eyes." I think this is how Holkins is thinking about it. Not to deliberately dismiss the individual, but to think of it in terms of the words having particular meaning. The way he's looking at it, he's not mistreating or disrespecting any individual, he's insisting that a meaning be applied consistently. I'm inclined to comply with a person's desire to be identified as they wish, but I'd be lying if I said I can't understand why he made the comment he did.

mollipen

THAT's considered offensive now?

Give me a fucking break. People are so absolutely desperate to be offended. Get over yourselves.

I'm @pikoeri. Taking one tweet of the conversation Gabe and I had out of context isn't a good thing to do, as it was a big conversation, and this tweet came when that conversation had already been in progress.

As someone who has done five panels at PAX events so far that deal with issues of inclusiveness in the gaming community/industry, the acceptance of this panel does bother me to some degree. Obviously there's a level of "difference of opinion", and there are plenty of panels that go on that I either don't care about or might not agree with. However, this panel's originally stated intent directly calls out panels like mine, and others who do feel that the struggle for inclusiveness in this industry is a very big deal.

If the panel was simple "we take games too seriously," I'd have no problem. This panel is feeding into the sentiment that arguments of more racial and gender equality in gaming is a bad thing, and that's something I can't accept.

We're just about at the deadline for submitting our plans for our next panel for PAX Prime—I'm thinking very hard if I want to be a part of that or not. On one hand, I appreciate the chance PAX has given me (and us) to educate people on the topic of the trans community. On the other hand, this panel that PAX AUS has accepted directly goes against the things we talk about.

kirblar

i thought the dickwolves comic was hilarious to be honest. for all the fantasy murdering gamers do, it's odd that merely the implication of fantasy rape hit a nerve.
The outrage generated by the original comic was totally unwarranted.

The outrage generated by the T-Shirt was completely justified.

Seems to me this is based on a confusion surrounding semantics more than anything else. Gabe is taking about biological gender, not gender identification, he's just poorly articulating himself as usual. If saying having two X chromosomes makes you a female is offensive, I'm not sure what to tell you.

But of course people will jump in to fill the gaps to fit their own narrative. Hate is a fun activity for us humans

Can you honestly tell me that he's poorly articulating himself here? Because it sounds like he's hardlining and actively antagonizing the people with concerns.

We have a problem here then. I understand english enough to know that what was said was exactly what i pointed out.

We'll probably have to agree to disagree.

Apparently you don't.

I will not agree to disagree. You are wrong, and I would continue to argue my point as long as you are willing. However, if you choose to not further this discussion, then I have nothing to argue.

Orayn

I thought he was just kinda vaguely religious? He came across as a deist when he and Jerry discussed religion on Downloadable Content a few years back.

GhaleonEB

Well as I understand it, the "you are a woman if you have a vagina" was directed at a transgendered co-worker of Gabe's. I don't think it's a statement of belief for or against transgendered people as a whole, but it was a bit of a dickish thing to say to a transgendered person in general.

Agree. I think that's what Gabe was acknowledging in his post.
So there you go. It’s not an easy conversation to have. Or maybe it is if you’re willing to actually have a conversation. My reaction when I feel backed into corner is to be an asshole. It’s essentially how I defend myself. It’s been that way since was in elementary school. I’m 36 now. Maybe it’s finally time to try and let some of that shit go.

He made a shorthand remark on twitter, one which was easy to interpret as ignorant, insensitive or transphobic. Though I don't think that was his intent. But he reacted defensively and needlessly escalated what could have been defused. Honestly he comes across in his news post as ignorant to the distinction between sex and gender, not transphobic. (It actually is an easy conversation to have - he just seems uncomfortable having it.)

thanks for clarifying what the truth is and how there's a double standard against white straight men, neogaf user "doublenagger"

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Yes. He's confusing the two. And people in this thread seem to also erronously think that they are the same.

i think this is it. at most, at this point, i feel like the worse you could accuse gabe of is confusing gender and sexuality (or accuse his attackers of confusing them depending on how you use the terms 'man' and 'woman' yourself). unless he's said anything directly targeting transgendered people then this all seems to have been blown out of proportion.

i also understand that transgendered people are attacked left and right in society, and that may cause victims of that abuse to see some arguably fair statements as an attack, and i sympathize with that.

Some traditional gender roles have a biological basis. Others are social constructs. It's not completely one or the other. There was a movement in psychology a while back that tried to explain away the differences between men and women completely as modern social constructs, but comparative behaviour studies with primates and other species are not really aligning with that belief.

I'm aware that the scientific debate about how much biology influences gender roles is still up in the air, but it doesn't really have anything to do with the established definition of gender itself, which is what is germane to my argument. It's a term understood to be behavioral, cultural, and psychological in nature. In other words it is the subjective category, which is the reason why it can be divorced from objective biological sex in the first place.

If you really think Gabe is at risk of being murdered because of the stupid things he posts on twitter you are as simple as he is.

Ok we get it. Personal death threats are not important. Not at all.

At least that's what you personally think. You're entitled to your own opinion.

i also thought the follow up comic was funny...

"rape is the worst".

and the concept of a dickwolf is mildly humorous on it's own. maybe i missed something but they seemed pretty apologetic when they made it clear that they didn't condone rape (go figure).

I missed all that fuss when it occurred, but my understanding is that they made overtures of apology/understanding, then proceeded to snarkily make fun of those who felt offended over the course of the next months/years. There's a whole tumblr devoted to timelining it, somewhere.

I agree about the comic, personally, and tend to err on the side of okaying such humor, as it's intentionally absurd and leverages the horror of the event in question in order to make its point, rather the opposite of condoning it. There's discussion to be had about the place of such humor in rape culture though, I think - as it unfortunately occupies a space next to the frighteningly large bloc of people that find rape amusing in-and-of-itself. Then there's the trigger issue, too. It's a complicated, sensitive subject.

I suspect PA would have done better to acknowledge that, rather then get reactionary about it.

Top Bottom