• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - In Theory: Could Sony release PlayStation 5 in 2018?

Shin

Banned
Nothing significant, but Samsung seems to be the go to supplier for RAM used in PS consoles (with the exception of PS3/Elpida).
It's good to keep track of this site: http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/products/dram/graphic-dram/ (PS4 uses K4G80325FB 8x1Gb).
Point of this being that GDDR6 is slated for 2018 by Samsung so when there's movement on that list we'll have a better idea.

Keep in mind mass production plus meeting demands would take a while so I'd say by November 2019 all should be well.
As it stands PS4/P sold 60.4M consoles that's around 483,2M chips of 1Gb, not to mention what else they have in channel/production.
My point being that Sony would need a vast majority of chips for a successful launch and Samsung seems to be cheaper than Hynix.
Mass production + quantity needed + all other stuff in place gives us an indication of when PS5 is to be expected, hopefully this helps.

Nothing significant, but Samsung seems to be the go to supplier for RAM used in PS consoles (with the exception of PS3/Elpida).
It's good to keep track of this site: http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/products/dram/graphic-dram/ (PS4 uses K4G80325FB 8x1Gb).
Point of this being that GDDR6 is slated for 2018 by Samsung so when there's movement on that list we'll have a better idea.

Keep in mind mass production plus meeting demands would take a while so I'd say by November 2019 all should be well.
As it stands PS4/P sold 60.4M consoles that's around 483,2M chips of 1Gb, not to mention what else they have in channel/production.
My point being that Sony would need a vast majority of chips for a successful launch and Samsung seems to be cheaper than Hynix.
Mass production + quantity needed + all other stuff in place gives us an indication of when PS5 is to be expected, hopefully this helps.
32GB of GDDR6 RAM (16 x 2GB chips in 256-bit bus) is the bare minimum I expect in a PS5. For reference, OG PS4 has 16 x 512MB chips in 256-bit bus (clamshell mode).

If HBM2/3 is not viable for mass production by then, I'm wondering if 64GB of GDDR6 RAM in 512-bit bus would be viable from an engineering standpoint... we've seen 512-bit bus GPUs in the past and Scorpio really pushed the envelope by adopting a 384-bit bus (an all-time new for consoles). PS3/X360 had GDDR3 in a 128-bit bus (yeah, I know that PS3 also had XDR for Cell and X360 had eDRAM). PS4/X1 went up to 256-bit (probably because of the APU shared bus).

ByWatterson

I think these mid-generation upgrades combined with likely backward compatibility for future models, is going to blur these lines so much that it won't matter.

Something called PS5 will be released in 2019 or 2020, but no one will be mad, as these cross-generational tails will last longer and longer.

Shin

Banned
32GB of GDDR6 RAM (16 x 2GB chips in 256-bit bus) is the bare minimum I expect in a PS5. For reference, OG PS4 has 16 x 512MB chips in 256-bit bus (clamshell mode).

I'm hoping for the same, 8 chip on each side 2 around all 4 corners of the SoC.
That's the cheapest setup, though it will be using a lot of damn space on the PCB.
As for bus hopefully 512 or 768 (I tweeted PlayStation, Cerny, SSM, SP, GG, Bungie, ND & Koji about pushing the specs when they make PS5).

Top Bottom