• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry-PS5 Pro: How Did Sony Beat Microsoft In Machine Learning For Consoles?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
What had this got to do with what I said? I didn't mention Azure or Cloud gaming at all. It has nothing to do with this topic.

It's no big deal, it's just a close comparison, that's all.

kensama

Yes so this was in late 2019, over a year before the consoles hit the scene so it’s incorrect to state that DLSS didn’t use ML. It’s in the name lol.
For me deep learning is difefrent de machine learning but maybe i'm wrong

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
ML describes the overall domain - DL is one of the specific branches of it.

Huh, yes, DLSS used ML out of the gate with its crappy 1.0 version that was trained on a per-game basis using 16K image samples to train their AI.
Similar ideas of that original approach are in that texture upscaler GodOfWar Ragnarok used ;P There's still practical use to spatial upscaling where temporal data simply doesn't exist - but it's also fair to say results are - debatable.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
You’re not wrong that they’re different. Deep Learning is a subset of Neural Network which in turn is a subset of Machine Learning.

tl;dr Deep Learning is Machine Learning but Machine Learning isn’t necessarily Deep Learning.

Gaiff

Similar ideas of that original approach are in that texture upscaler GodOfWar Ragnarok used ;P There's still practical use to spatial upscaling where temporal data simply doesn't exist - but it's also fair to say results are - debatable.
Yeah, I remember this one. I suppose this is a much better approach for textures since they don't move and thus do not require the need for motion vectors. DLSS 1.0 was kind of garbo.

Any other game uses that for their textures like in Ragnarok? Also, I believe it's only the PS5 version, correct?

kensama

You’re not wrong that they’re different. Deep Learning is a subset of Neural Network which in turn is a subset of Machine Learning.

tl;dr Deep Learning is Machine Learning but Machine Learning isn’t necessarily Deep Learning.

Thanks to you two for info

Interfectum

A classic.

i0HjJnF.png
Spider Man Lol GIF

Mr.Phoenix

Yeah, I remember this one. I suppose this is a much better approach for textures since they don't move and thus do not require the need for motion vectors. DLSS 1.0 was kind of garbo.

Any other game uses that for their textures like in Ragnarok? Also, I believe it's only the PS5 version, correct?
Textures don't move? Or do you mean the OG sample of the texture is fixed? Because if you are talking about them when they are on models, they do all sorts of moving lol.

On another note, I am sure I hjave said this somewhere before, but I have a serious love and hate relationship with AMD. I love that they are at least the only ones making a proper APU (unless intel decides to throw their hat in the ring), but I hate how tech/innovation-adverse they generally seem to be. And I say seem because they do some interesting things, but its baffling how they also at the same time, bottle the most obvious things. Eg. Both RT units and ML units were a thing in 2018 when the 20xx series GPUs released. Thats a good solid almost 2 years before the launch of the PS5/XS consoles.

And till this day, AMd RT is still an afterthought and they still do not have a single GPU on the market with proper ML. Its one of those they have got to be dumb type things, the math is just simple, the amount of silicon you need to get native 4K at admirable framerates, and also support all the new graphic technologies, would result in a chip significantly bigger than what you would be able to do if you had ML based hardware.

I swear I almost wish Intel can make a proper decent GPU and Sony jumps ship and the PS6 is using an Intel APU. Intel isn't a paragon for innovation either, but at least they got ML and RT right off the jump.

avin

They do seem depressed, but it's perhaps understandable. If you make your living off the console wars, it has to suck when there's a winner and the war is over.

avin

Gaiff

Textures don't move? Or do you mean the OG sample of the texture is fixed? Because if you are talking about them when they are on models, they do all sorts of moving lol.
Yeah, this. Also, I don't think "moving" is the correct term. What I meant was more like they're not animated. I think that'd be more fitting?

Mr.Phoenix

Yeah, this. Also, I don't think "moving" is the correct term. What I meant was more like they're not animated. I think that'd be more fitting?
Yeah more fitting, but what you are really looking for is that they are based on a fixed/unchanging and known sample.

Funny enough, the fact they can do that with textures means they should be able to do Frame Gen with PSSR. Frame gen basically is working with two completely rendered images anyway.

Interfectum

They do seem depressed, but it's perhaps understandable. If you make your living off the console wars, it has to suck when there's a winner and the war is over.

avin
no doubt. I wonder how much traffic they can get back with PS5 Pro vs Switch 2 next year.

midnightAI

ML temporal upscalers and DVD upscaling done by your Bravia TV are two completely seperate things though. No Bravia TV had dedicated silicon that was utilizing ML in realtime, heck TAA didn't even exist until 10 years ago. I'm sure there is some overlap in research and skillset but let's not pretend that Sony were pioneers in this field for gaming. Even Nvidia completely screwed the pooch with the initial push into ML based upscaling.
Are you sure about that?

Sony has been developing video technology using machine learning since the 1990s. In the 2000s, Sony developed a new proprietary learning-based super-resolution technology for 4K output in projectors and BRAVIA.

A classic.

i0HjJnF.png

It's a variation of this unforgettable moment of comedy:

Honestly even Digital Foundry was making snarky comments about PS5's specs when they were announced and compared them with Xbox Series consoles. Now we see most games running better or equal on PS5. The talk about Tflops was iconic. No one mentioned that as soon as these consoles were released.

Gotta give it to MS though...they really were trying to market these consoles to the hardcore gamers. I remember before those consoles were released how Series S was going to be a huge hit for new users, Series X was much better than PS5 and Gamepass the future of gaming. Phil Spencer was the man and Jim Ryan an asshole.

4 years later MS is releasing their games on PS5, their Bethesda acquisition has yet to make any noise in the industry with Starfield nowhere to be seen, Halo flopped, Gears of War is gone, Forza Motorstorm flopped, etc...

The public doesn't give a shit if games are cross-gen or not. Sony has been releasing games left and right and when they are not, they are releasing exclusives like FFVII Rebirth, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, etc. Helldivers 2 is still at #1 on Steam WW best sellers, almost 2 months after release. I don't think it ever left that position. No one was talking about that game before release. And we still have stuff like Silent Hill 2 remake to go this year (that we know of)

At the end of the day, games sell consoles. Not hardware. (tell that to Nintendo and their Switch).

If all of this wasn't enough, Sony surpassed MS in cloud gaming, which was something MS was doing better for a while (even though Sony started it with PS Now back in 2013).

Last edited:

Zathalus

Are you sure about that?
Yes. Using early AI to develop better algorithms for TV image processing and video upscaling is quite different then running a ML model in real time to remove artifacts and enhance detail in a Temporal scaler. Sony only released TVs with real time ML processing in 2021, the feature is called Reality Creation.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
How would we even know what MS has worked up in R&D the past couple of years?
(But it's not likely earth shattering)
Not sure anyone is a big the winner in this considering how little has been done by Sony and ms overall vs say nvidia.

That said I was pretty disappointed ms didn't come up with a magic scaler for the series S, thought it might be thier secret plan.

Last edited:

sendit

Ignoring the fact that even Series S has better older-gen BC than PS5, what a silly thing to say. Series X is also a part of the current Xbox gen.
If you say so.

"Xbox Series S/X backward compatibility program officially supports over 1,000 games from the Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One libraries. Backward compatibility on the Xbox Series S/X is limited to officially supported games"

"Sony's PlayStation 5 supports backward compatibility with the majority of the PlayStation 4's library, which itself consists of over 4,000 games."

Mr.Phoenix

Are you sure about that?
Yh./ AI upscaling or even refining when it comes to video on TV is very very very different. At best it can be likened to something like frame-generation which is a much easier proposition being that you are working with completed frames. In the TV world, that was called interpolation. Or by its hellscape name, the soap opera effect.

ML reconstruction involves taking a rendered, jittered frame, and basically filling in the gaps to get what that frame would look like if it was rendered at a higher rez. Litearlly having to add detail into an image that was not there when rendered.

sendit

Nah, 2/10 is apt.

First trying to shoehorn lack of a disc drive and now bringing in a console generation that's still active as 'bc'.
You're gate keeping BC on the PS5 because the PS4 is still active? I see where your head is at. lol

10/10 for moving the goal post:
- Series S having no disc drive effectively limits BC options to an individuals digital library, fact.
- Series S is the majority of Series sales, fact.
- Series console BC is limited to ~1000 games across 3 generations, fact.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Yh./ AI upscaling or even refining when it comes to video on TV is very very very different. At best it can be likened to something like frame-generation which is a much easier proposition being that you are working with completed frames. In the TV world, that was called interpolation. Or by its hellscape name, the soap opera effect.

ML reconstruction involves taking a rendered, jittered frame, and basically filling in the gaps to get what that frame would look like if it was rendered at a higher rez. Litearlly having to add detail into an image that was not there when rendered.
Interpolation is a way of increasing the frame rate (aka motion smoothing), this is nothing to do with that, let me post the full quote:

The super-resolution technology that restores lost information​

Sony has been developing video technology using machine learning since the 1990s. In the 2000s, Sony developed a new proprietary learning-based super-resolution technology for 4K output in projectors and BRAVIA. We have been expanding the variations of its application. Sony is still among the world’s leaders in image enhancing due to multiple patented core and associated technologies as well as a continuous evolution of the underlying techniques, which include image analysis and the mechanisms used to set up and prepare the training data in addition to making image quality adjustments.

Low quality 2K images are replaced by high quality 4K images in real time through the use of a conversion database created beforehand with machine learning.

We are currently utilizing deep learning, a cutting edge machine learning technology, to improve restoration efficiency.
Super Resolution Technology

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Using it in realtime, and on compressed textures - afaik Ragnarok was the first.
There's things like GTA remasters upscaling their legacy textures with AI but that was just using off-the shelf models, and not runtime.

And till this day, AMd RT is still an afterthought and they still do not have a single GPU on the market with proper ML.
Well - the flipside is their APUs have ML and RT - resulting in decent RT on a handheld since about 18months ago.
They may be risk averse, but without AMD - we'd still be stuck in no-man's land there.

The whole RT acceleration made me remember something - about 17 years ago, IBM demoed RT on Cell array that ran at about 3.5TFlops. That was purely software RT, no fixed function of any kind, running 60hz@1080p at fidelity/complexity comparable to what Series S can muster. Given the inefficiencies of such a setup - makes you wonder what could have been if someone purpose-built a pure RT accelerator at 10TFlops+, instead of all this hybrid stuff everyone (including NVidia) has been doing to date.
Sure it wouldn't run rasterization worth shit compared to a modern GPU - but that's kind of what legacy consoles (back before they became PCs in a box) used to do so much better - do one thing really well without trying to be 'all things' - that was left for PC space.

Skifi28

I don't think that's right. I'm pretty sure Xbox series play every single Xbox one game, so you'd have the same ~4k BC games the ps5 has from the ps4 generation, plus the few hundred Xbox and 360 games.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You're gate keeping BC on the PS5 because the PS4 is still active? I see where your head is at. lol

10/10 for moving the goal post:
- Series S having no disc drive effectively limits BC options to an individuals digital library, fact.
- Series S is the majority of Series sales, fact.

No one's gatekeeping BC, we all know what is being talked about when BC is invoked here lol, your clever antics don't change that.

- Why are we limiting Xbox BC to just Series S?
- Why does that matter when Series X is also a current-gen Xbox?
- If you're going to count all PS4 games as BC for PS5, it includes all Xbox One games, which is well 'over 1000' the PR blurb you're quoting, plus hundreds of games from the 360 and even the original Xbox.

I don't think that's right. I'm pretty sure Xbox series play every single Xbox one game, so you'd have the same ~4k BC games the ps5 has from the ps4 generation, plus the few hundred Xbox and 360 games.

He knows. He's being deliberately obtuse.

Last edited:

twilo99

They don't.

But on other areas:

news_20240108_MS_pc_(1).jpg

I’m not sure what Microsoft are doing, but from what I’ve heard here in SV and what I’ve read in the past 6 months or so Tesla is way ahead of the curve on using neural networks for self driving..

James Douma is an absolute gem and everyone who wants to know more on the subject should watch this.. he also talks about Nvidia a lot, which ultimately affects gaming.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
First trying to shoehorn lack of a disc drive and now bringing in a console generation that's still active as 'bc'.
Eeh - not to say I completely disagree with you (ie. I agree that MS approach to BC has been - superior to what others have done from XB1 onwards, and that still holds right now).
But your argument above doesn't hold water either.

BC people cared about the most, has always been the gen-prior.
When PS2 launched - people cared about compatibility with the PS1, not the SNES.
For PS3, it was the PS2. Sure PS1 was included - but when PS2 layer was removed, noone cared the entire PS1 library was still available.
Every PS3 model from that point onwards is considered 'Not-BC'. Irony being - that 360 with is half-assed support for a handful of XB titles, still got called 'BC' - because - it played 'some' prior gen titles from discs.

For PS4/XB1 - people wanted PS3/360. Sure they both played 50 or so PS2/XB titles, but it was the other consoles were demanded the most (and when XB added them - celebrated the most). Yes some people complained about PS1 too - but that had more to do with PS4 also killing BC with digital purchases(Which I do think a shitty move on Sony's part), not the disc compatibility that PS3 had.

Last edited:
Top Bottom