• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry-PS5 Pro: How Did Sony Beat Microsoft In Machine Learning For Consoles?

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
DF literally doing the marketing of an unannounced Sony console based on rumors and people still claim they are biased for Ms because they are not enthusiastic enough. Insanity.

No wonder some of you got blocked by Tom Warren and others from DF.

According to many here, anyone who's ever framed a Sony console as anything other than the best at literally everything is an "MS shill".

It's embarrassing lol. It's like they can't understand that others don't see the market in the same, childish, "my-dad-can-beat-your-dad" way that they do.

According to many here, anyone who's ever framed a Sony console as anything other than the best at literally everything is an "MS shill".

It's embarrassing lol. It's like they can't understand that others don't see the market in the same, childish, "my-dad-can-beat-your-dad" way that they do.

Actually Sony never said once their console was the best

But I remember the 12 TERAFLOPS SUSTAINED TRUE RDNA2 bullshit from Microsoft and their shills in 2020

Come November they won't even have the useless TERAFLOPS number advantage anymore

That's why DF is depressed

Last edited:

mrcroket

DF literally doing the marketing of an unannounced Sony console based on rumors and people still claim they are biased for Ms because they are not enthusiastic enough. Insanity.

No wonder some of you got blocked by Tom Warren and others from DF.
In fact they just uploaded a 2h video tribute to the original playstation.

Mr Moose

Bullshit? Where is the lie in that?

A Closer Look at How Xbox Series X|S Integrates Full AMD RDNA 2 Architecture​

With the upcoming launch of the Xbox Series X|S on November 10, together we are ushering in the next generation of gaming delivering a level of power, performance and compatibility never before seen in console gaming, powered by AMD’s latest “Zen 2” and RDNA 2 architectures. Xbox Series X|S are the only next-generation consoles with full hardware support for all the RDNA 2 capabilities AMD showcased today.​

It's missing something...
Screenshot20240331at.png

diffusionx

Gold Member
Bullshit? Where is the lie in that?
The numbers are the numbers, but PS5 has consistently outperformed Xbox this generation, even in Microsoft games, even in Microsoft games that were ported late to the Xbox. Ghostwire Tokyo is better on PS5 even though it came out a year earlier. Either something is off with the Xbox numbers or MS doesn't give a shit.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I honestly would love an exaggerated beast to test the market .. try something different... what they have to loose honestly? ... ... this "prime" console market has not been prime for long enough
That really isn't 'different' at all. It might please a handful of spec focused fans, but 'exaggerated beats' is the very definition of let's do more 'faster horses' instead of a 'car'.
Something different would be a console that isn't literally just a (cheaper)PC in a box. But that would require risking everything (and potentially abandoning traditional BC yet again).
Ironically MS may be the best positioned to try something different right now - since they have nothing to actually lose in hw-boxes, but on the flipside, they're the only of the 3 companies to have never done something like it before.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
It's missing something...
So only Infinity cache is bullshit.
The numbers are the numbers, but PS5 has consistently outperformed Xbox this generation, even in Microsoft games, even in Microsoft games that were ported late to the Xbox. Ghostwire Tokyo is better on PS5 even though it came out a year earlier. Either something is off with the Xbox numbers or MS doesn't give a shit.
Flops numbers for the GPU alone are numbers as always has been and never says the entire picture.

Backward compatibility.

NOPE. They not only abandoned their once great BC program but there are MORE Xbox One exclusives that MS never bothered updating for 4k/60 than Sony. It's crazy to see that MS still enjoys the reputation as being "great for BC" when they so many exclusives are stuck at 720p-900p and 30 fps! Sunset Overdrive, Dead Rising 3 (great game btw), Ryse, Quantum Break, Forza Horizon 3, Gears Ultimate all never received patches!

Remember when DF did a special hyping up the Series X's BC capabilities and they had gotten to play Gears Ultimate at 4k and 60 fps? Yeah, how come we never got that as SX owners?
MS completely abandoned their BC once they got their sights set on GamePass which is akin to MS abandoning Series X owners since all those games that need patches are all on Gamepass.

They should've been keeping their promises with BC, patching games out of 720p hell, and bolstering GamePass in the process! They should've also kept the BC program going to improve all the games that they had to downgrade to One S settings/resolution when they added FPS boost. Games like Gears 4, Far Cry New Dawn, etc are only playable at 60 if you take a huge hit to IQ ...who wants that? The Series X is capable enough that with some more work they could've gotten these games running better at 60 fps.

And one more thing ...now that Microsoft owns Bethesda and Activision WHY aren't they patching all THOSE publishers great exclusives for 4k/60? All the Call of Duty games, Dishonored 2, Spyro Remake etc

That's just the thing though. The reason Sony has yet again beaten MS is because MS is always distracted and never focused on the things that gamers want them to be focused on- great games, great BC, pushing the Series X hardware etc! It has been a horrible gen for console gamers precisely because these companies started focusing on subscriptions and the PC market AT THE EXPENSE of many of the promises they made at the start of the generation.

Chukhopops

Tom Warren is a MS shill, didn't know he works for DF.
Yeah I got confused. Although I’m pretty sure at least one of the usual warriors here was bragging about being blocked by someone from DF (Battaglia) after being a cunt on Twitter.

Anyway it’s still insane that people believe DF is biased after stuff like this. It’s late stage brain rot in my opinion.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Remember when DF did a special hyping up the Series X's BC capabilities and they had gotten to play Gears Ultimate at 4k and 60 fps? Yeah, how come we never got that as SX owners?

They never said 4K/60, they just saw it running in 4K, which was demoed to them in-person. MS ultimately decided to focus more on FPS boost than increasing resolution for XBO games.

Yeah I got confused. Although I’m pretty sure at least one of the usual warriors here was bragging about being blocked by someone from DF (Battaglia) after being a cunt on Twitter.

Anyway it’s still insane that people believe DF is biased after stuff like this. It’s late stage brain rot in my opinion.

Agencylife Bingo GIF by MX Player

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
NOPE. They not only abandoned their once great BC program but there are MORE Xbox One exclusives that MS never bothered updating for 4k/60 than Sony. It's crazy to see that MS still enjoys the reputation as being "great for BC" when they so many exclusives are stuck at 720p-900p and 30 fps! Sunset Overdrive, Dead Rising 3 (great game btw), Ryse, Quantum Break, Forza Horizon 3, Gears Ultimate all never received patches!

MS completely abandoned their BC once they got their sights set on GamePass which is akin to MS abandoning Series X owners since all those games that need patches are all on Gamepass.

They should've been keeping their promises with BC, patching games out of 720p hell, and bolstering GamePass in the process! They should've also kept the BC program going to improve all the games that they had to downgrade to One S settings/resolution when they added FPS boost. Games like Gears 4, Far Cry New Dawn, etc are only playable at 60 if you take a huge hit to IQ ...who wants that? The Series X is capable enough that with some more work they could've gotten these games running better at 60 fps.

And one more thing ...now that Microsoft owns Bethesda and Activision WHY aren't they patching all THOSE publishers great exclusives for 4k/60? All the Call of Duty games, Dishonored 2, Spyro Remake etc

That's just the thing though. The reason Sony has yet again beaten MS is because MS is always distracted and never focused on the things that gamers want them to be focused on- great games, great BC, pushing the Series X hardware etc! It has been a horrible gen for console gamers precisely because these companies started focusing on subscriptions and the PC market AT THE EXPENSE of many of the promises they made at the start of the generation.
None of those games are exclusives and the BC on Windows for them are great.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Xbox fans on here forgot what happened almost 4 years ago?

As soon as Microsoft found out the PlayStation 5 didn't have certain RDNA 2 features and that their clocks were "variable," they jumped on Sony with their marketing.

Xbox Series X|S are the only next-generation consoles with full hardware support for all the RDNA 2 capabilities AMD showcased today.

Xbox Velocity Architecture: A Closer Look at the Next-Gen Tech Driving Gaming Innovation Forward on Xbox Series X​

When we set out to design the Xbox Series X, we aspired to build our most powerful console ever powered by next generation innovation and delivering consistent, sustained performance never before seen in a console with no compromises

Is this a reach? No. Microsoft was making it clear that the clocks were "sustained."

But up until now at least, the focus has been on the GPU, where Microsoft has delivered 12 teraflops of compute performance via 3328 shaders allocated to 52 compute units (from 56 in total on silicon, four disabled to increase production yield) running at a sustained, locked 1825MHz. Once again, Microsoft stresses the point that frequencies are consistent on all machines, in all environments. There are no boost clocks with Xbox Series X.

They have almost nothing to show for it so far and that's why it's funny to look back.

shamoomoo

All those critics about why MS isn't releasing a AI upscaling based machine could be applied to Sony.

Why would MS didn't think about releasing a mid-gen machine with TOPs power to do AI upscaling right now when they could? Why would they need to do that years after Sony? Alex says Sony saw how valid was DLSS solution for videogames, why MS didn't realize it? Didn't they release a mid-gen machine 4 years after XB1 last time with more compute and async? Why not releasing a mid-gen machine 4 years later (this year) with TOPs capabilities enough for AI upscaling?
Alex really said that? TAA was a thing before machine learning acceleration, what the heck does DLSS have to do with that?

JimboJones

Alex really said that? TAA was a thing before machine learning acceleration, what the heck does DLSS have to do with that?
Because DLSS uses dedicated silicone and it's proven that it's the way forward if you want decent results.
The PS5pro was probably in the design stage in 2020 and that's when DLSS was starting to show how well it worked. It makes sense Sony seeing the writing on the wall wanted dedicated machine learning silicone in their box.

Xbox fans on here forgot what happened almost 4 years ago?

As soon as Microsoft found out the PlayStation 5 didn't have certain RDNA 2 features and that their clocks were "variable," they jumped on Sony with their marketing.

Xbox Velocity Architecture: A Closer Look at the Next-Gen Tech Driving Gaming Innovation Forward on Xbox Series X​

Is this a reach? No. Microsoft was making it clear that the clocks were "sustained."

They have almost nothing to show for it so far and that's why it's funny to look back.

4 years ago at this time of the year all I was reading on the internet was XBOX 12 TERAFLOPS SUSTAINED, TRUE RDNA2.

PS5 is not really 10.2 TERAFLOPS, IT'S JUST OVERCLOCKED, IT'S REALLY 9 TERAFLOPS, RDNA 1.5

WHAT A DISGRACE Cerny is, all he talks about is SSD SSD SSD SSD

Last edited:

onQ123

Actually Sony never said once their console was the best

But I remember the 12 TERAFLOPS SUSTAINED TRUE RDNA2 bullshit from Microsoft and their shills in 2020

Come November they won't even have the useless TERAFLOPS number advantage anymore

That's why DF is depressed

" No let them suffer" lives rent free in my head lol they was doing victory laps before the starting pistol was fired

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I hate to break it to you but PS Studios aren't exactly setting the world on fire currently. However with Xbox bringing games to PS you should hope Xbox lifts their game, I think they just might 🤞

What bad games have PS Studios released lately? Yeah, they're in a bit of a draught because they're all in the middle of making their next game, but it's not like they're pumping out Redfalls and Starfields.

DF know MS isn't in the AI upscaling (or RT) race. But they can still at least chase the clicks as they still need to produce content. This is first console doing AI upscaling and they know they must talk about it because all others outlets are talking, generating content from it.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
What? Where they used it?

Listen to what I'm actually saying: AI/ML based upscaling has been in Sony's R&D pipeline for years now. So for DF to frame PS5 Pro implementation of ML upscaling as "Sony eating Microsoft's lunch" is another case of them proving their own ignorance and refusal to do their homework. Again, these guys are supposed to be "tech experts" but the laziness and incessant cowtailing towards Microsoft is becoming less amusing and more unbearable for someone like me who would like to understand more about gaming tech at a deeper level beyond resolution and frame rate.

G8YdduR.jpg

hNqwD5t.jpg

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Pretty sure sony uses Microsoft tech for cloud gaming.

I see this was already answered.
Listen to what I'm actually saying: AI/ML based upscaling has been in Sony's R&D pipeline for years now. So for DF to frame PS5 Pro implementation of ML upscaling as "Sony eating Microsoft's lunch" is another case of them proving their own ignorance and refusal to do their homework. Again, these guys are supposed to be "tech experts" but the laziness and incessant cowtailing towards Microsoft is becoming less amusing and more unbearable for someone like me who would like to understand more about gaming tech at a deeper level beyond resolution and frame rate.

G8YdduR.jpg

hNqwD5t.jpg
Exactly.

You would think a company that makes image sensors, TVs, cameras wouldn't get overlooked or dismissed in a topic like this but hey.

Zathalus

G8YdduR.jpg

hNqwD5t.jpg
ML temporal upscalers and DVD upscaling done by your Bravia TV are two completely seperate things though. No Bravia TV had dedicated silicon that was utilizing ML in realtime, heck TAA didn't even exist until 10 years ago. I'm sure there is some overlap in research and skillset but let's not pretend that Sony were pioneers in this field for gaming. Even Nvidia completely screwed the pooch with the initial push into ML based upscaling.

Sony has been beating MS in everything so this isn't really surprising. There isn't a single area in gaming right now where you can objectively say MS is ahead of Sony.
Nah ms got some wins. Mostly All on the service side seeing how they are a service first company now:

*Game refunds are easier.
*The way they do digital ownership vs game subs is better on xbox. Seriously I cant buy a game outright if its on psplus extra if I already redeemed it. And yet sometimes I can ?? Clusterfuck of a infrastructure that psn.
* Cloud saves not tied to online membership. Cloud saves that magically appear on pc if it has the Play Anywhere tag which of course ms let it fall by the wayside.

All these Sony can actually copy and improve.

Chukhopops

DF know MS isn't in the AI upscaling (or RT) race. But they can still at least chase the clicks as they still need to produce content. This is first console doing AI upscaling and they know they must talk about it because all others outlets are talking, generating content from it.
Not sure how that has anything to do with them being biased towards MS though, they could talk about it and simply be negative? Pretty sure that would get them even more clicks.

Meanwhile they are being really optimistic about a technology that no one has tested in the real world and compared with its competitors (DLSS XESS etc).

Top Bottom