• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Thief for Xbox One edges out the PS4 version

So this thread now
has more posts than the Thief OT huh? Just think on that guys.

Oh, BTW, it totally makes sense that DF has an agenda for this game and this game only to artificially and undeservingly present the XB1 version as superior.

That's definitely what happened.
Read the article again and tell me the whole thing was not leaning towards the xbox one. I thought that I as reading a Polygon article halfway through it.

So this thread now has more posts than the Thief OT huh? Just think on that guys.

Oh, BTW, it totally makes sense that DF has an agenda for this game and this game only to artificially and undeservingly present the XB1 version as superior.

That's definitely what happened.

Better that this discussion happens here than in the Thief OT.

Jetlagger

Banned
So this thread now has more posts than the Thief OT huh? Just think on that guys.
What am I supposed to be thinking? That people care more about how the game performs, than how the game plays? That's understandable. Performance is a big part of it.

The Cowboy

It's gonna be insane, probably one of the biggest threads of the month.
Why?, 2 platforms are MS (360, Xbox one) and the 3rd is the PC, we already know the PC version will be the best (based on the beta) and that there will be no PS4 version to rile up the big PS4/Xbox one debates.

So how would a DF thread on Titanfall be one of the biggest in months?, there will be no comparison between the 2 main platforms (PS4/Xbox one) that generate these sort of big DF threads?.

I don't get it.
That will be the review thread. ;)
Exactly, this will be the big Titanfall thread.

Orayn

Lack of AF is really weird. I hope games not using it is just some quirk in the PS4's SDK that gets corrected; it'd be a real shame if this was a long-term thing.

I still think improved resolution and framerate matter more, though it's crazy to me that either version has framerate problems. How do you screw up Unreal 3 that badly? We had plenty of perfectly stable 30 FPS games with it last gen.

Timu

Why?, 2 platforms are MS (360, Xbox one) and the 3rd is the PC, we already know the PC version will be the best (based on the beta) and that there will be no PS4 version to rile up the big PS4/Xbox one debates.

So how would a DF thread on Titanfall be one of the biggest in months?, there will be no comparison between the 2 main platforms (PS4/Xbox one) that generate these sort of big DF threads?.

I don't get it.
Resolution, performance, graphical detail in areas, etc. It'll be discussed a lot when talking about X1's power and to see the changes coming from the beta. Imagine if it hits 900p or had severe FPS drops.

chadskin

Resolution, performance, graphical detail in areas, etc. It'll be discussed a lot when talking about X1's power and to see the changes coming from the beta. Imagine if it hits 900p or had severe FPS drops.

Imagine if it's 720p, has alpha textures and its own Party Chat system ... ;)

antitrop

So how would a DF thread on Titanfall be one of the biggest in months?, there will be no comparison between the 2 main platforms (PS4/Xbox one) that generate these sort of big DF threads?

Yeah, I think you're forgetting that cboat's account basically rests on that thread. It will be an event.

antitrop

Wait what? Because of what Bish said. Cboat has been accurate like 98% of the time. Do you think he'll be banned for that?

See, the thing is, I think he would have been just fine if he stuck with his original claim before the Beta came out and left it at that. Maybe a temp ban at worst from that.

But I think it's the fact that he doubled-down on his ridiculous claim AFTER the Beta that they would consider a perm.

See, the thing is, I think he would have been just fine if he stuck with his original claim before the Beta came out and left it at that. Maybe a temp ban at worst from that.

But I think it's the fact that he doubled-down on his ridiculous claim AFTER the Beta that they would consider a perm.
Yeah I can see that being a problem but damn after all the accurate info he has given us it still would be a shock to see banned Cboat.

Hawk269

Better that this discussion happens here than in the Thief OT.

True. But it goes without saying that this thread has outpaced the thread for the game itself, which does say a lot about how people view things here. Just because a site says one version is better than another version, it causes all this mayhem. I think what some are forgetting is that it is their opinion and like assholes, every one has one. It does not mean I agree with their assessment, but I take it with a grain of salt and don't understand how some of the folks in this thread are getting their panties in a wad over it.

acksman

Gaming for some has morphed into complaining or making sure their brand of choice stays protected. I wonder how many in this thread even play video games anymore or will even buy this game. It is like the Reddit syndrome.

THRILLH0

Banned
True. But it goes without saying that this thread has outpaced the thread for the game itself, which does say a lot about how people view things here. Just because a site says one version is better than another version, it causes all this mayhem. I think what some are forgetting is that it is their opinion and like assholes, every one has one. It does not mean I agree with their assessment, but I take it with a grain of salt and don't understand how some of the folks in this thread are getting their panties in a wad over it.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that a significant number of posters complaining in this thread have not played Thief or even have any intention to do so.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Gaming for some has morphed into complaining or making sure their brand of choice stays protected. I wonder how many in this thread even play video games anymore or will even buy this game. It is like the Reddit syndrome.

this is what reddit says about gaf ;)

Hawk269

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that a significant number of posters complaining in this thread have not played Thief or even have any intention to do so.

I agree with you. People like to argue, especially if their preferred platform does not come out on top. It would be nice if the people discussed the game with the same conviction as they do in this thread. It would probably lead to better discussions of the game themselves.

lmbotiva

regardless of what many people post here there will always be someone to call you a troll, so.. here goes... ive always have thought that DF is biased towards MS, last gen according to them the smallest of resolution differences on 360s favor always made the ps3 to look terrible, now this huge discrepancy on resolution all of the sudden does not matter? well shit, color me surprised

Cheech

I played a bit of it. As an old school Thief fan, I found the game super disappointing and have no intention of finishing it.

Which is why I had to check this thread out. It's like comparing the different versions of NBA Live or Angry Birds Star Wars. It is mindboggling that anybody gives a shit.

Digital Foundry has been pretty reliable in the past. They're not going to ruin their credibility by promoting fanboy agendas. It's like when CNN or Forbes would run "Sony is in trouble" articles, and payoffs by competitors were suggested. Yes, CNN is infested by Nintendo and Microsoft fanboys. Come on.

lmbotiva

I agree with you. People like to argue, especially if their preferred platform does not come out on top. It would be nice if the people discussed the game with the same conviction as they do in this thread. It would probably lead to better discussions of the game themselves.
so would you recommend that we buy both consoles and 2 copies of the game to have an opinion on the matter?

So? What does that
have to do with something being right or wrong?
It doesn't all it has to do is to discredit them by saying they disagree with the article because it doesn't favor their platform rather that the article couldn't possibly be wrong and we are wrong to challenge it.

Side Note: I'm a PC guy and I don't own either XB1 or PS4

Yeah, but they are making subjective decisions based on those numbers. They need to standardise their decision matrix for judging the numbers between writers, or just stick to the numbers.

This.

At the Olympics when someone finishes their routine and the judges give their numbers, they tally everything up and show who won. They don't go "uhhh but Marco had a lot more style... Yeah, style! So HE wins, not Peter..."

Style would have been factored into the judges numbers. With technical analysis there is and should be no subjectivity. Just recorded data.

To those saying that it's just the style that DF has and should be expected from them, they need to understand that people go to them for answers on which version is going to look best, and they trust it will be on concrete data. There isn't any other site out there that I'm aware of that's dedicated to that sort of thing to the extent DF is, so we can't just go to some other site. If they are going to do things half assed and miss things that average Joe's can clearly see in simple gifs then why are they even doing it?

It just seems like the kind of behavior of people that don't like admitting when they're wrong, or when they get tagged when playing with their friends say "oh I wasn't playing anymore...". If they want to be the Xbox analysis team that's cool and that's fine, but I'd like to get in depth technical analysis on my PS3 and PS4 games from a source I know pays attention to details and doesn't slip up when translating something they should be experts in to us simpletons that can see when we're being shortchanged.

This.

At the Olympics when someone finishes their routine and the judges give their numbers, they tally everything up and show who won. They don't go "uhhh but Marco had a lot more style... Yeah, style! So HE wins, not Peter..."

Style would have been factored into the judges numbers. With technical analysis there is and should be no subjectivity. Just recorded data.

To those saying that it's just the style that DF has and should be expected from them, they need to understand that people go to them for answers on which version is going to look best, and they trust it will be on concrete data. There isn't any other site out there that I'm aware of that's dedicated to that sort of thing to the extent DF is, so we can't just go to some other site. If they are going to do things half assed and miss things that average Joe's can clearly see in simple gifs then why are they even doing it?

It just seems like the kind of behavior of people that don't like admitting when they're wrong, or when they get tagged when playing with their friends say "oh I wasn't playing anymore...". If they want to be the Xbox analysis team that's cool and that's fine, but I'd like to get in depth technical analysis on my PS3 and PS4 games from a source I know pays attention to details and doesn't slip up when translating something they should be experts in to us simpletons that can see when we're being shortchanged.
This is what I'm talking about. Big Picture.

tfur

I guess we can add Thief to the "what's going to save the Xbone" chalkboard, with a circle around it.... maybe with an asterisk

THRILLH0

Banned
So? What does that have to do with something being right or wrong?

It says a great deal about the "impartiality" of the opinion of a person who doesn't care about the game Thief but sees a thread title claiming that someone feels the XB1 version is superior to the PS4 version and is compelled to rush in and claim conspiracy.

Hawk269

so would you recommend that we buy both consoles and 2 copies of the game to have an opinion on the matter?

I am not saying that, nor do I understand where you got that from. All I am saying is that it is weird to see more replies to a thread about a DF article versus the thread for the actual game. That is all...nothing more.

TyrantII

I played a bit of it. As an old school Thief fan, I found the game super disappointing and have no intention of finishing it.

Which is why I had to check this thread out. It's like comparing the different versions of NBA Live or Angry Birds Star Wars. It is mindboggling that anybody gives a shit.

Digital Foundry has been pretty reliable in the past. They're not going to ruin their credibility by promoting fanboy agendas. It's like when CNN or Forbes would run "Sony is in trouble" articles, and payoffs by competitors were suggested. Yes, CNN is infested by Nintendo and Microsoft fanboys. Come on.

They ruined their credibity when an editor let Leadbetter run a MS press release with some magic sauce that didn't pass the sniff test, let alone being laughed at by anyone with even a basic knowledge of X86 systems. You have to not know what your talking about to print that you can add two separate bus speeds and get an overall top line data transfer number. "They assured us" isn't a get out of jail card in the face of blatant bullshit.

Trying to find parity where none exists is starting to become a problem over there. Especially when you can go back and read over their criteria and reasoning last gen on games with minuet differences. Tiny differences in texture resolution or 5fps deltas were enough to make recommendations. But now 30% rendering differences are.... Not as large a difference as AF? Huh?

Ahh well. But can you blame them when they risk being blacklisted? Right?

It says a great deal about the "impartiality" of the opinion of a person who doesn't care about the game Thief but sees a thread title claiming that someone feels the XB1 version is superior to the PS4 version and is compelled to rush in and claim conspiracy.
Ok then. So for example, I disliked the DRM policies Microsft were initially planning to include in the XBOne, but because I never planned on buying one anyway I'm not allowed to comment on them?

Bullshit.

Either way, I'd say a lot of the people defending DF here aren't exactly 'impartial'.

THRILLH0

Banned
Ok then. So for example, I disliked the DRM policies Microsft were initially planning to include in the XBOne, but because I never planned on buying one anyway I'm not allowed to comment on them?

Bullshit.

Either way, I'd say a lot of the people defending DF here aren't exactly 'impartial'.

Possibly the WORST strawman I've seen on gaf. Those things are not remotely the same.

You want a better comparison? A site compares the vinyl and digital version of an album and declares they prefer the vinyl.

Despite never having heard the album in question, you rush to proclaim that there is bias at play because there's no way anyone could reasonably claim the vinyl version of any album could sound better than the digital version.

Sure sounds like that's an opinion built on a predisposition towards a particular platform doesn't it?

This is what I'm talking about. Big Picture.

Yes. You're a PC guy, and at one point I was a PC-only guy as well. There are plenty of sites I can go to for benchmarks and super technical reviews of hardware, processors, GPUs, and games etc. but as I said there's only DF that does that type of thing with console games- at least at the volume DF analyses.

When inaccuracies become more and more common with them and they misreport data that they themselves collected, they lose my trust and I get bummed that I'll have to sift through cross comparisons and threads like these to get the actual facts.

It's easy though for some to point at people and claim fanboyism because of it being centered on two consoles against one another. There shouldn't be anything wrong with having refs review a call though. Regardless of which version edges out we should always hold those that provide us info accountable to their jobs, you know? It's just weird that simple accountability has become fodder for the warz.

Top Bottom