• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Three Hours with the PS4 Pro

c0de

So it can't do true 4K gaming? I'm betting it'll be better to wait to see what Scorpio can do with 4K gaming.

Of course it can't with that power and Scorpio, while having a lot more juice in total, will also “fail“ in that but they could use a higher resolution (or better said more pixels) to feed the algorithm/chip so that the resulting picture looks even better if games choose to do not render 4k natively.

i bought last of us remaster a while back havent gotten around to playing and now i will wait till after i get my ps4 pro to play it for my first time.

Cels

Damn, this sounds good. Real good.

I game on a perfectly beautiful 1080p tv (Kuro Elite, I'll love you always) already. I got to fight the urge to get a 4K HDR capable tv!

i feel you man, my panasonic plasma from 2009 is still going strong, still has great picture quality, contrast, and black levels, and no real reason to replace it yet...until now perhaps.

So, not native 4k. 4kinda ?
fauxK

HTupolev

Still, upscaling never did add details and never will.
The panel they used simply was upscaling 1080p shittier than the PS4 Pro that's all.
Rendering 4K with the checkerboard technique requires natively rendering twice as many pixels as 1080p. It should look much better than 1080p even without any cleverness.

Also, sample patterns matter a lot in upscaling quality. Simple ordered grids exacerbate aliasing. By using a custom (rotated-grid-esque) sample pattern with a custom resolve, the results can be significantly smoother than a TV could do with an ordered grid of the same resolution, even if the TV had a great upscaling algorithm.

Also also, some sample patterns are more useful for temporal reconstruction. For example, if the checkerboard is inverted between each frame, in static imagery it should be feasible to more or less perfectly reconstruct a native 4K image, much like how KZSF's MP looks like a clean 1080p in some circumstances.

I'm not sure how to feel, even if you decide to go 4k, and HDR, how do you know you're getting the "correct" tv to show your games at their best quality?
That's already a problem, HDR or otherwise. Heck, HDR is only quite as marketable as it is because most people haven't used a screen with half-decent static contrast for the better part of a decade, thanks to terrible-quality LCDs wiping CRTs and plasmas off the market. All panels produce different results from other panels. The rise of HDR signalling was never going to change this.

Will this improve the gameplay?

635710551482406405-1898217504_Kevin-Hart-Really-GIF.gif

RedAssedApe

Banned
i feel you man, my panasonic plasma from 2009 is still going strong, still has great picture quality, contrast, and black levels, and no real reason to replace it yet...until now perhaps.

fauxK

same. i have an 2008 kuro. funny thing is i could probably get a larger 4k/hdr capable tv right now for half of what i paid back then. the thirst is real...

Even if its not native 4K, everything still sounds nice for the price I suppose. Not sure if devs will use the Scorpio extra brute horsepower if these techniques will be available on the Scropio as well.

wtd2009

Damn, DF already on it! This makes me hopeful, and I'd love it if the options detailed for Tomb Raider become more commonplace for other games as well. Cautiously optimistic, now.

Averon

So, Sony found a way to get 4K-like results while avoiding the resource hogging situation rendering a native 4K image brings?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I made this post back in January, before Neo and Scorpio rumors started, about Rainbow Six Siege's method (which is a form of checkerboard rendering). I don't think I've ever made a prediction this accurate before for anything.

Something I've been wondering about for a while is the question of 4k potential in the next gen consoles. I'm of the mind that thinks that in order to hit a $399 price point, native 4k with an expected next gen leap in fidelity would be unlikely. However after getting Rainbow Six: Siege, I think it's MSAA reconstruction technique could be quite beneficial on consoles next gen. Being someone who is primarily a console gamer (can't run anything more complex than Source games on my laptop) I would love to see widespread use of these techniques next gen in order to prevent scaling artifacts so we don't have another gen like the last where everything has to be scaled in some way.

For those of you unaware on consoles Siege renders at a halved resolution in order to hit 60fps in the competitive mode and uses the data from a 2x MSAA sample to output at 1080p on PS4 and 900p on Xbox One. I do not have experience with the Xbox One version but on PS4 the final output is shockingly convincing, even in motion.

Example:
24504519551_e81efb9f6d_o.png

There is some artifacting but it's mostly only visible on high contrast edges and when there is a lot of motion. It's relatively minor and looks more reminiscent of aliasing than a more distracting aberration.

Example (around the gun):
24586791135_1cc7eb8758_o.png

Some of you may remember that Killzone: Shadow Fall's multiplayer mode attempting to do something similar. Guerrilla's technique used alternating lines from temporal sampling in order to reconstruct a 1080p image and I was personally not a fan of it. It didn't save enough performance in order to justify the overall loss in clarity and it was a less temporally stable image than what Siege is doing.

I'd love to get more information on methods like this and their practical application. Dictator93 pointed me to this piece by Matt Pettineo from Ready At Dawn. https://mynameismjp.wordpress.com/2015/09/13/programmable-sample-points/

If anyone has more insight into these or similar techniques I'd like to hear about it, examples would be excellent as well. Do you agree that it would be a useful pursuit for consoles in the next generation? I think it would be, especially with a much higher resolution for the original image.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Sounds really impressive. The checkerboard rendering is no joke it seems.

And TLOU in 4K? Just slap some more modern shaders on a game at that level and bam, there you go, full 4K gaming people said was impossible.

So, Sony found a way to get 4K-like results while avoiding the resource hogging situation rendering a native 4K image brings?

Sounds like it, and its at a good consistent quality. But it makes sense, they are resolving far more high quality frames than any type of rendering method we've seen before.

Games will get downsampled to 1080p. So you do get much better IQ then just 1080P

This seems like it would be hugely beneficial for something like XV. I hope going forward that we not only get 4K videos but those that show the different between PS4 and Pro at 1080p. I think that's critical as i'd imagine most people that'll purchase the Pro will be playing it on a 1080p TV.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Still, upscaling never did add details and never will.
The panel they used simply was upscaling 1080p shittier than the PS4 Pro that's all.

The source buffers have >= 2x the native resolution over a 1080p buffer. With alternate checkerboarding you're also effectively going to be using more samples again across multiple frames. It's not trying to magic fully resolved samples out of nothing - they are there from the double+ resolution of the buffers and from the alternate pattern of the previous frame. Of course this can lead to reconstruction artifacts vs a straight native buffer, but the bang for buck you get here resolution wise seems like it's extremely compelling.

orochi91

Seems like it.

The results are impressive and the impressions from the floor seem to be positive.

PS4 Pro got me hyped :")

Aceofspades

Banned
So it can't do true 4K gaming? I'm betting it'll be better to wait to see what Scorpio can do with 4K gaming.

You will be massively dissapointed if you think Scorpio can do 4k gaming on all games, its rumored GPU is just 30% over what we have in Neo.

Titan XP can barely run everything in 4k and its twice the power of Scorpio.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The source buffers have >= 2x the native resolution over a 1080p buffer. With alternate checkerboarding you're also effectively going to be using more samples again across multiple frames. It's not trying to magic fully resolved samples out of nothing - they are there from the double+ resolution of the buffers and from the alternate pattern of the previous frame. Of course this can lead to reconstruction artifacts vs a straight native buffer, but the bang for buck you get here resolution wise seems like it's extremely compelling.

Given that Cerny specifically mentioned temporal AA techniques as well, I bet those help smooth out some of the artifacts that do appear.

Inuhanyou

I think the most impressive aspect is that its not done in software at all, these are fixed function units inside the GPU custom ordered by Sony to focus on this checkerboard rendering technique.

And supposedly, they have even more in the GPU they aren't talking about yet that isn't apart of polaris and made specifically for the Pro. You get all these features for free with no cost to the actual GPU or CPU resources

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
You will be massively dissapointed if you think Scorpio can do 4k gaming on all games, its rumored GPU is just 30% over what we have in Neo.

Maybe less than that depending on the breakdown of their spec. I expect there will be more native 4K there, but in a lot of cases it will also be shades of '4K-Kinda'.

Toki767

I think the most impressive aspect is that its not done in software at all, these are fixed function units inside the GPU custom ordered by Sony to focus on this checkerboard rendering technique, and supposedly, they have even more in the GPU they aren't talking about yet that isn't apart of polaris and made specifically for the Pro

Yeah. One of the Golem developers on Twitter actually stated that Pro support is actually very straightforward for developers whereas Scorpio was sounding like an entirely different platform. So hopefully that means it'll get tons of support for older games.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think the most impressive aspect is that its not done in software at all, these are fixed function units inside the GPU custom ordered by Sony to focus on this checkerboard rendering technique, and supposedly, they have even more in the GPU they aren't talking about yet that isn't apart of polaris and made specifically for the Pro

The games shown had a noticeable fidelity improvement on top of the checkerboard 4k. I was worried that there wouldn't be enough grunt left over. I'm very, very pleased with the visuals on display.

Averon

Seems like it.

The results are impressive and the impressions from the floor seem to be positive.

PS4 Pro got me hyped :")

Yes, and for free it seems.

Sounds really impressive. The checkerboard rendering is no joke it seems.

And TLOU in 4K? Just slap some more modern shaders on a game at that level and bam, there you go, full 4K gaming people said was impossible.

Sounds like it, and its at a good consistent quality. But it makes sense, they are resolving far more high quality frames than any type of rendering method we've seen before.

Wow. It make the $399 price tag all the more a steal than it already was.

Renekton

I think the most impressive aspect is that its not done in software at all, these are fixed function units inside the GPU custom ordered by Sony to focus on this checkerboard rendering technique.
Holy crap I did not know this, nice.

RIP Rainbow Six Siege tho lol.

Elios83

Wait how is the pro not 4k native but then last of us is?

Pro can do native 4k.Tomb Raider also has a native 4k mode and it looks much better than TLOU.
Native 4k just won't be achieved in every game since using some new advanced upscaling technologies allows for a better compromise than brute forcing all the pixels of a native 4K resolution. You can use that power for other stuff like HDR, better effects and more stable frame rate.

Inuhanyou

Holy crap I did not know this, nice.

RIP Rainbow Six Siege tho lol.

It basically means that they can use this technique for much higher fidelity for what is essentially "free". No investment necessary from developers to implement it, and it takes almost zero performance cost because it is baked into the hardware.

Almost like the high speed EDRAM of the 360 was supposed to allow for free native 720p in all games because of the fixed function bus leading directly to the silicon that affected the framebuffer on the GPU, but MS's dumb ass made the EDRAM pool too small, so sub HD games were still a huge problem in the 7th gen.

Top Bottom