• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Three Hours with the PS4 Pro

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Gemüsepizza;216252331 said:
Still disappointed that they chose to use this power for upscaling, instead of better effects. This could have really pushed 3D graphics to another level.

Play the games in 1080p mode and they will?

The upscale his for people with 4KTVs. And 4K is absolutely worth it, just as increased effects are also absolutely worth it.

It's nice to have the options now on console. As always, if you want the best of both worlds 4K/60fps/Max Effects, go PC.

This is great for console players though, and really awesome for exclusives. Next E3 will be crazy when they show all the Sony exclusives running on Pro...

I'm not planning on getting a 4K TV anytime soon. But I would like to buy a 4K monitor some time next year. How common is HDR support for PC monitors? Just wondering because I'm planning on getting the PS4 Pro and this will probably be the only way I'll be gaming/watching movies and TV shows in 4K anytime soon and for a little while.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Gemüsepizza;216252331 said:
Still disappointed that they chose to use this power for upscaling, instead of better effects. This could have really pushed 3D graphics to another level.

Some games will, some games won't. It's completely up to the developer how they want to use the extra power.

Lucifon

Hmm sounds like uprendering makes the console trade punches with consoles twice or more powerful using brute force. Since we heard nothing about uprendering from MS, PS4 Pro is essential a 8-9 tflop system, meaning Sony is coming out early and not giving up their perceived visual advantage.

Smart techniques are great and all but it is absolutely not an 8-9 tflop system.

I'm tempted because I've just dropped a lot of cash on a 4k oled screen but I'm not sure what games I'd even get for it. Got COD pre-ordered on Xbox at an insane price so I can't switch for the sake of a slightly clearer quality image...

ethomaz

Banned
Not true. It depends on what the developers want to do. In the case of Tomb Raider, Nixxes went above and beyond(as they could cause its fucking nixxes). 1080p mode at 45 to 60fps similar to definitive edition, 1080p mode at 30fps with every graphical setting on PC they could throw at it, plus more, and a 4k checkerboard rendering mode with reduced graphics, closer to original PS4.
I read Tomb Raiser doesn't use 4k checkerboard but native 4k instead.

Jonnax

I'm not planning on getting a 4K TV anytime soon. But I would like to buy a 4K monitor some time next year. How common is HDR support for PC monitors? Just wondering because I'm planning on getting the PS4 Pro and this will probably be the only way I'll be gaming/watching movies and TV shows in 4K anytime soon and for a little while.
Not at all right now.
Rec 2020 is the gamut to look out for.
And HDMI 2.1. Well 2.0a because 2.1 isn't out yet, but with 2.0a you need to confirm that it supports HDR.

It all sounds great but I think Sony missed on two points:

1. Not using a better CPU
2. No 4K player

DF said:
We can confirm that the reports are correct. Rise of the Tomb Raider has three different modes in the PS4 Pro version only: a 4K30 presentation with HDR support that strikes an impressive balance between visual features and resolution, a 1080p30 mode that ramps up quality settings to the max and an unlocked frame-rate mode for 1080p that sees performance vary between 40-60fps (we assume that this will be down to CPU bottlenecks), rather like Tomb Raider Definitive Edition on the standard PlayStation 4.

CPU bottlenecks!!! They should have gone with a better CPU and 4K player and sold it for $449. I hope devs give option of 4k/30 and 1080/60 with Pro.

But at $399 its a no brainer upgrade for a better PS4. I hope there are some good deals for an upgrade to PS4P from PS4 at GameStop.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

2. No 4K player

CPU bottlenecks!!! They should have gone with a better CPU and 4K player and sold it for $449. I hope devs give option of 4k/30 and 1080/60 with Pro.

But at $399 its a no brainer upgrade for a better PS4. I hope there are some good deals for an upgrade to PS4P from PS4 at GameStop.
Honestly, Rise of the Tomb Raider is a very demanding game so even hitting that level of performance is pretty impressive. You can't even reach a completely consistent 1080p60 on a 5820k + GTX970 combo using moderate settings. It gets close but there are key areas where it still struggles. Seems like they're doing a nice job with the port.

belmonkey

the thing is, that it would be up to devs to take advantage of it, because nvidia nor AMD have fixed function units built into their GPU pipelines at the hardware level to deal with that kind of thing.

It would be a gamechanger though, and absolutely reduce the need to kill these high end GPUs with native 4K until it becomes more viable

Is this not the kind of thing that could be done in software regardless of the game? I would have thought the Polaris GPUs that the pro's is based on could manage checkerboarding at least.

Daffy Duck

So DF are impressed but did they have the full effect on HDR 4K TV's (not got time to read the article yet) as obviously on my 1080p TV I won't have that, so that's one point down. I'm confused as to where I sit with Sony as an owner of a 1080p TV.

I'm not sure why everyone is so happy about variable frame rate between 45-60 FPS when people complain like crazy on DF threads about those drops, yet here that's cool and impressive.

ethomaz

Banned

2. No 4K player

There is no better CPU actually from AMD.

To go better they needed to break the whole APU and gone with CPU and GPU separated making the costs a hell of expensive.

The jvc 500 projector had some great fake 4K mode which looks stunning too even side by side with real 4K on a 3m screen ... So these things are possible. Impressive stuff.

onQ123

Honestly, Rise of the Tomb Raider is a very demanding game so even hitting that level of performance is pretty impressive. You can't even reach a completely consistent 1080p60 on a 5820k + GTX970 combo using moderate settings. It gets close but there are key areas where it still struggles. Seems like they're doing a nice job with the port.

You tell that damn Richard to remove the word Upscale from that article & replace it with Uprending or interpolation.

televator

Right but something like Tomb Raider has 3 different modes you can select. Would it be beneficial to pick the 4K option on a 1080p screen if you value clean IQ?

Wonderful.

9wJ21U0.gif

Super sampling on a 1080p HDTV? TLoUR in HDR 4K? Let me join you.

9wJ21U0.gif

One other question... HDR supports higher bit depth color. Is there a way I can independantly output 12bit color without the luminosity benefit of HDR?

d00d3n

Will the PS4 Pro be able to internally downsample from 4k to a 1080p output?

*asking because I don't want to give up my nice reliable old Plasma ... :(

TriGen

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

Between this and the Giant Bomb guys on site saying that you really needed to see it in person to see how much of an impressive improvement this makes in games, I'm much more interested in the Pro again. Can't wait for more details. Especially from those that spent time with it and maybe even TGS.

Get those side by side demos set up, Sony.

Yep. Between this article and Vinny -- who was joking about HDR and stuff around E3 -- saying he wanted a 4k HDR TV now because it looked so good in person -- I'm definitely more interested than I felt watching the conference live.

It sounds like their checkerboard rendering technique is doing a good job overall of taking advantage of 4K/HDR displays. I don't have a 4K TV yet but I've been doing a lot of research on them and definitely have a good idea of what I want, so I'll be keeping an eye out over BF/Cyber Monday and if I can find a deal, I'm in.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DF sound totally enthused. Need to see this with my own eyes.
Well...all of us love tech and these improvements are a big deal for anyone that does as well. It makes the PS4 a much better machine when connected to a modern display. It's a fantastic upgrade.

...but it's not something I think the average consumer is necessarily going to appreciate and it's very difficult to show the difference in a presentation.

MysteryM

You tell that damn Richard to remove the word Upscale from that article & replace it with Uprending or interpolation.

Maybe you should email him direct and ask him about that hidden mpu, or perhaps message panello and ask him if they are using 3tflops single-precision & 6tflops half-precision in the scorpio.

In all seriousness though, it doesn't matter.

Geneijin

Well...all of us love tech and these improvements are a big deal for anyone that does as well. It makes the PS4 a much better machine when connected to a modern display. It's a fantastic upgrade.

...but it's not something I think the average consumer is necessarily going to appreciate and it's very difficult to show the difference in a presentation.
There's also a misconception that it can be perceived with an old display.

Yeah true. Nice to see there seems to be some kind of cross-department engineering going on here with Sony's expertise in TV display tech coming together with their console hardware design.

What I'm interested in knowing is will MS use a similar hardware/software solution as Sony's checkerboard 4K. Will they copy that? Or is it too late in the game to do that at this point.

Paz

Is there even a way for them to share 4K+HDR videos to people who own these sets right now? It seems like such a hard thing to showcase, even to the exact audience heh.

Toki767

Yeah true. Nice to see there seems to be some kind of cross-department engineering going on here with Sony's expertise in TV display tech coming together with their console hardware design.

What I'm interested in knowing is will MS use a similar hardware/software solution as Sony's checkerboard 4K. Will they copy that? Or is it too late in the game to do that at this point.

After their whole "uncompressed, highest quality pixels" line, they don't deserve to use uprendering techniques.

Necro900

I don't know if it has been asked, but how does this checkerboard technique get near to "4K detail"? It sounds like an excellent method for image upscaling and quality retention on a 4K display, but where does the detail they talk about come from?

If they just do this 2x2 to 4x4 doubling from a 1080p signal, shouldn't the detail be the same as the source 1080, only less blurry on a 4K display? Or is PS4Pro rendering at a slightly higher resolution than native FHD and is checkerboarding that?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm not really surprised, have you guys seen what the Reality X Pro can do on their TV's?
I'm surprised what 900p games looked like on other TV's as it does a good job on mine
Sounds like a similar thing but more advanced.
One thing for sure, yeah gonna want one of their 4k TV's to complement it.
But I'm still not sold, I need to know what it does for a 1080p set, ie see what it does.

UrbanRats

I hope every game will go for the Tomb Raider selection thing.

To be honest i have mixed feelings.

I was expecting it to be pricier, yes, but i was also expecting it to have a damn UHD player, and honestly their push for 1080p TV improvements, seem a bit muddy so far.
Also unfortunate about the trash CPU, but i guess that's AMD's fault.

onQ123

Maybe you should email him direct and ask him about that hidden mpu, or perhaps message panello and ask him if they are using 3tflops single-precision & 6tflops half-precision in the scorpio.

In all seriousness though, it doesn't matter.

What the hell is a MPU? did you mean DPU? because that's there & it might be what is doing the checkerboard rendering. also there is no need of asking if Scorpio is using 6TF half-precision because after E3 Phil Spencer made it clear that it was 4.5X the power of Xbox One.

Leyasu

Banned
Hmm sounds like uprendering makes the console trade punches with consoles twice or more powerful using brute force. Since we heard nothing about uprendering from MS, PS4 Pro is essential a 8-9 tflop system, meaning Sony is coming out early and not giving up their perceived visual advantage.

Sonya mrx media??? Lol

This does sound nice. Im tempted to get one now, with the adapter that lets you use an Xbox controller

I don't know if it has been asked, but how does this checkerboard technique get near to "4K detail"? It sounds like an excellent method for image upscaling and quality retention on a 4K display, but where does the detail they talk about come from?

If they just do this 2x2 to 4x4 doubling from a 1080p signal, shouldn't the detail be the same as the source 1080, only less blurry on a 4K display? Or is PS4Pro rendering at a slightly higher resolution than native FHD and is checkerboarding that?

Its natively pushing far more pixels above 1080p. Just not native 4k. Outside of less demanding games or last gen games like The Last of Us. Which is native 4k.

That article did a better job on selling the Pro than Sony did.

I never thought we would come out of the event with more questions than answers, but that's exactly how I feel right now. The benefits for non-4k folks (which is most people) were not clearly spelled out.

I also think it's incredibly important to know if games that struggled with performance on the standard PS4 will get a framerate bump on the Pro without a patch? It seems like a patch would be required as the game would just default to the "standard PS4 mode," but to me this seems ridiculous. It should be similar to the Xbox One S where even the old games can take advantage of the CPU boost and new GPU.

And as much as I applaud and welcome the dev decision to give us options, I'm already dreading the choice of deciding between 1080p/60, 1080p/30 with better graphics, or 4k/30 with standard graphics. That's honestly an incredibly difficult decision.

I would like to know this as well. Might change my mind on getting one down the line.

Shin-chan

This makes me pretty happy about the hardware. I think the biggest thing to keep in mind is its just $100 more than the next best offering on the market and the improvements appear to be staggering.

Now I just need confirmation of a release date in Japan and, maybe, a FFXV LE bundle.

Necro900

Its natively pushing far more pixels above 1080p. Just not native 4k. Outside of less demanding games or last gen games like The Last of Us. Which is native 4k.

Oh, I see. Do we know that resolution yet? Is it 1440p?

Still don't know what to think of PSPro, though.
I really counted on that 4k UHD drive making the PS4 the all end all piece of electronic to have in the living room. Instead, I might be picking up an Xbone S before upgrading my ps4, eventually.

Top Bottom