• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Why Can't Destiny 2 Run at 60fps on PS4 Pro?

If 60 fps is suddenly (we're talking about the "I don't see the difference" crowd) so important (how many AAA new releases actually delivered on that?) I guess it's time to seriously consider the jump to pc as main gaming platform.

Exclusive singleplayer games will always run at 30fps anyway, it's a win-win scenario.

I understand though that offering a 1080p/60fps mode would be great, but again, neither Sony nor Ms (or any developer for that matter aside from some exceptions) seem to care enough.

If Halo 5 needs janky enemies in the distance for it to stay at 60fps then i'm cool with that... Framerate is king.
It's an essential sacrifice due to hardware limitations, I get it.

thelastword

Banned
Jaguar CPU can't handle 60fps in games with a lot going on, news at 11.
What's going on in Destiny 2 that puts other 60fps console shooters to shame exactly...

Are the physics and destruction better than Battlefield?
Are the character models, animation and A.I superior?
Are they running 128-256 concurrent players?
Is the LOD and draw distance super detailed and beyond any other shooter 60fps you've seen before?
Is the effects work better than DOOM 2016 and every other 60fps shooter?

Are the graphics that superb and puts titles like COD IW, Titanfall2, Uncharted MP, DOOM, Battlefield 1 to shame....?

For your information, Destiny 2 barely looks better than Destiny 1 and even that is arguable as you go level per level. Texturework in Destiny 2 so far is atrocious, there is a touch up on lighting, but very basic, nothing to shout home about, but even then it's the AA coverage that has gotten worse, so Destiny 2 appears a bit sharper...

AF looks limited, water physics look very spotty in many scenes. Some of the explosions are not impressive from a physics standpoint, which is one of the points they stress is better in part 2 (a la CPU). If you care for their artstyle, then I can see someone saying it looks good, but technically, materials looks very unconvincing, the worlds don't look realistic, water is iffy, character models are Destiny 1 caliber....That would all be fine if this was 60fps, since every body knows Destiny 1 was hamstrung by last gen consoles, but in an age when every major console shooter is 60fps, with so many of these 60fps shooters doing better water, destruction, materials, world detail, explosions, physics and player count than destiny, it just plain boggles the mind....

Fisty

What's going on in Destiny 2 that puts other 60fps console shooters to shame exactly...

Is the LOD and draw distance super detailed and beyond any other shooter 60fps you've seen before?

Are the graphics that superb and puts titles like COD IW, Titanfall2, Uncharted MP, DOOM, Battlefield 1 to shame....?

For your information, Destiny 2 barely looks better than Destiny 1 and even that is arguable as you go level per level. Texturework in Destiny 2 so far is atrocious, there is a touch up on lighting, but very basic, nothing to shout home about, but even then it's the AA coverage that has gotten worse, so Destiny 2 appears a bit sharper...

AF looks limited, water physics look very spotty in many scenes. Some of the explosions are not impressive from a physics standpoint, which is one of the points they stress is better in part 2 (a la CPU). If you care for their artstyle, then I can see someone saying it looks good, but technically, materials looks very unconvincing, the worlds don't look realistic, water is iffy, character models are Destiny 1 caliber....That would all be fine if this was 60fps, since every body knows Destiny 1 was hamstrung by last gen consoles, but in an age when every major console shooter is 60fps, with so many of these 60fps shooters doing better water, destruction, materials, world detail, explosions, physics and player count than destiny, it just plain boggles the mind....

One thing is for sure, Destiny is none of those other games. There's your answer.

Kssio_Aug

Probably AI, scope and engine.

Neo_Geo

Banned
Competent programming be hard, yo. Who the fuck cares about more pixels if they still move around like dogshit? Stupid people, which most of their core audience consists of.

Sucks for those of us who want playability over getting hard for an almost useless bullet point on the back of a piece of paper thin plastic.

thelastword

Banned
One thing is for sure, Destiny is none of those other games. There's your answer.
It's none of those games granted, but being 30fps whilst so many 60fps games does so many things better, just makes it an outlier. The crazy thing is, before Destiny 2, there was no way you could play destiny at 60fps, but now that you can, it will open up a whole other kettle of fish. Playing Destiny on a PC will no doubt bring with it many comparisons against the consoles.....

Lets not even make any bones about it, We have games like Battleborn running at 60fps, Overwatch running at 60fps, Paladins.... with unique artstyles like Destiny all running 60. Then we have lawbreakers which is a very pretty game in it's own right running at 60fps with so much going on with interesting traversal and physics systems...

Come to think of it, even Paragon runs 60fps, along with Chivalry on the consoles....FF14, Garden Warfare, No man's Sky etc etc.. etc........and you have unlocked games that run pretty close like DS3 PVP. Siege's 60fps mode is also there too. 30fps in the that type of multiplayer space is extremely odd in 2017 frankly....

Probably AI, scope and engine.
Low detail everywhere....It could be the engine limiting this, but why not say this instead or that you want parity on XB1 to PS4 to Pro to Scorpio. Such answers make much more sense...

Look how Respawn improved performance and visuals in Titanfall 2, that's what you call a marked improvement, with a spiffy campaign to boot, but when people say Destiny 2 is a marked improvement , I just can't shake that they're trying a fast one here....The improvements does not justify 30fps in any way whatsoever. It does not justify 30 fps in PVP, pretty much nothing really...

Destiny's physics, destruction and vehicles are not on the level of battlefield...not even close. Is the A.I better than what we see in Halo 5 Guardians and Forge mode or Gears Horde mode? So I can't say that I will put this on A.i either...

I for one would love to get a Destiny 1 vs Destiny 2...visual head to head...There was this French guy who did awesome comparisons, he did it for motorstorm 2 and a bevy of other titles. I guess we can wait till the game is finalized, but DS2 is really disappointing visually especially considering that it's still rocking 30fps on consoles....At least the PC will make some interesting comparisons against consoles when this launches, we will see what type of modest PC's run this at 60fps.....

I don't think there is one. Even bottom tier i3s from years ago trash the CPUs in the modern consoles.
Maybe some old fx amd bulldozer being downclocked might be equivalent, but basically every intel desktop CPU since sandy bridge (maybe before as well) thrashes the jaguar cores in the modern consoles.

For comparisons sake, what I think a lot of console players seem to not get is in PC performance threads most people when they are bitching about performance are doing so because they can't hit 60 fps, not because they're getting console level performance with 30 and dips. PC CPUs are just /that/ far ahead.

Thank you. It's amazing that the CPUs are that weak.

DocSeuss

It's none of those games granted, but being 30fps whilst so many 60fps games does so many things better, just makes it an outlier. The crazy thing is, before Destiny 2, there was no way you could play destiny at 60fps, but now that you can, it will open up a whole other kettle of fish. Playing Destiny on a PC will no doubt bring with it many comparisons against the consoles.....

Lets not even make any bones about it, We have games like Battleborn running at 60fps, Overwatch running at 60fps, Paladins.... with unique artstyles like Destiny all running 60. Then we have lawbreakers which is a very pretty game in it's own right running at 60fps with so much going on with interesting traversal and physics systems...

Come to think of it, even Paragon runs 60fps, along with Chivalry on the consoles....FF14, Garden Warfare, No man's Sky etc etc.. etc........and you have unlocked games that run pretty close like DS3 PVP. Siege's 60fps mode is also there too. 30fps in the that type of multiplayer space is extremely odd in 2017 frankly....

Low detail everywhere....It could be the engine limiting this, but why not say this instead or that you want parity on XB1 to PS4 to Pro to Scorpio. Such answers make much more sense...

Look how Respawn improved performance and visuals in Titanfall 2, that's what you call a marked improvement, with a spiffy campaign to boot, but when people say Destiny 2 is a marked improvement , I just can't shake that they're trying a fast one here....The improvements does not justify 30fps in any way whatsoever. It does not justify 30 fps in PVP, pretty much nothing really...

Destiny's physics, destruction and vehicles are not on the level of battlefield...not even close. Is the A.I better than what we see in Halo 5 Guardians and Forge mode or Gears Horde mode? So I can't say that I will put this on A.i either...

I for one would love to get a Destiny 1 vs Destiny 2...visual head to head...There was this French guy who did awesome comparisons, he did it for motorstorm 2 and a bevy of other titles. I guess we can wait till the game is finalized, but DS2 is really disappointing visually especially considering that it's still rocking 30fps on consoles....At least the PC will make some interesting comparisons against consoles when this launches, we will see what type of modest PC's run this at 60fps.....

I'm guessing you don't know anything about making games, based on your posts in this thread.

night814

For a shooter everyone should want it to run and play really well over graphics. A game that looks great is great but if performance is hindered to make it 4k people won't like it as much, or it will at least have that perception.

Trace

Banned
I'm guessing you don't know anything about making games, based on your posts in this thread.

Lots of armchair devs on Neogaf. I mean it's understandable, you look at a game like Battlefront or Battlefield 1 and they run at 60-ish FPS, and then you look at other games that run at 30 FPS and don't look 2x better. So obviously, since Battlefront can do it, the other devs must just be incompetent or lazy.

DocSeuss

Lots of armchair devs on Neogaf. I mean it's understandable, you look at a game like Battlefront or Battlefield 1 and they run at 60-ish FPS, and then you look at other games that run at 30 FPS and don't look 2x better. So obviously, since Battlefront can do it, the other devs must just be incompetent or lazy.

Yeah. I'ma go back to playtesting my own game.

There's one thing that DF got wrong. The Base clocks of PS4 Pro vs Scropio.
Ps4 Pro's CPU speed was 2.13GHz or 35% more than the OG PS4 of 1.6GHz.
DF also said that Scorpio is only 32% more powerful than og xbox 1 of 1.75GHz .
XB1's CPU is 9% faster than OG PS4 at 1.6GHz and that makes PS4 PRO only
22% faster than OG XB1 to 32% for Scorpio.

The point is that Scorpio is 44% faster than PS4 Pro's 35% when using the same base clocks. Without the DX12 hardware. With 44% we may just see 60FPS on Scorpio.

void666

Banned
Competent programming be hard, yo. Who the fuck cares about more pixels if they still move around like dogshit? Stupid people, which most of their core audience consists of.

Sucks for those of us who want playability over getting hard for an almost useless bullet point on the back of a piece of paper thin plastic.

Quality post right here.

This physics talk is all BS, Destiny 2 still looking like a fancy PS3 game, like Destiny 1.
But in Destiny 1 case, the excuse was because it was a cross-gen game.

Now, with Battlefront at 60fps and beautiful graphics, Horizon with open-world rich graphics, Bungie can not escape with lame excuses for their pimped last-gen graphics and 30fps.

And they can't blame the engine either, since it will run at 60fps on PC.

It's just comfort zone, they know the fans will defend this and buy anyway.

Kssio_Aug

We should of just started a new generation at this point base line 60fps

These pro consoles are being held back man.

Even though you're probably right about it being held back, the Pro / Scorpio consoles were never suppose to be a new gen, so yeah, of course they would be held back since everything has to run perfectly fine on regular PS4 and XB1 as well.

Trace

Banned
We should of just started a new generation at this point base line 60fps

These pro consoles are being held back man.

Spoiler: We could have consoles that were 10x faster and we would still have 30FPS games, assuming display technology stayed the same.

We have 60 FPS games in the NES era, framerate is about development priorities and now power constraints.

thelastword

Banned

The point is that Scorpio is 44% faster than PS4 Pro's 35% when using the same base clocks. Without the DX12 hardware. With 44% we may just see 60FPS on Scorpio.
If the Scorpio can do 60fps, so can the PS4 PRO. Also don't go thinking that the Scorpio's CPU is that much better. It's the same jaguars on all consoles, with a boost in clocks on the latter systems.....Yeah, I do believe they are quite capable as has been shown in several titles like NMS, The Division, TLG etc...but devs have to implement GPGPU use as well....

We will see how this develops, clearly destiny1 was 30fps on all consoles with no pc version to compare, now that there is a 60fps version in D2, it won't be the same. Anybody who believes people will have no issue playing destiny at 30fps after playing it at 60 on midline PC hardware are fooling themselves...I'm not even sure if Bungie is setting themselves up for a fall here....Consoles are the major player in sales here, I'd ensure that the console versions of D2 was 60fps above all, they are simply going to lessen the impact of destiny sales on consoles with a 60fps PC version.

Head.spawn

Those who want playability above all else, always.. are going to be satisfied with the PC version.

-hadouken

Consoles are the major player in sales here, I'd ensure that the console versions of D2 was 60fps above all, they are simply going to lessen the impact of destiny sales on consoles with a 60fps PC version.
Yes, consoles are the major player. Bungie's way of negating console FOMO? That would be the convenient delay of the PC version (and by limiting footage shown to that of base hardware.) If they thought they could get away with 30fps on PC, then they would.

theultimo

complete delusion and Scott Steiner math.

Lothars

Totally missing the point. Point is, H5 warzone did PvPvE with 24 players online at a solid 60fps. And it did it with that old ass hardware thats even weaker than a base ps4.

Bungie is saying they cant do something similar, on a ps4 pro. Yeah ok.
The point honestly is Halo 5 is a terrible game and I don't care if it runs at 30 fps or 60 fps. It's not worth playing.

This physics talk is all BS, Destiny 2 still looking like a fancy PS3 game, like Destiny 1.
But in Destiny 1 case, the excuse was because it was a cross-gen game.

Now, with Battlefront at 60fps and beautiful graphics, Horizon with open-world rich graphics, Bungie can not escape with lame excuses for their pimped last-gen graphics and 30fps.

And they can't blame the engine either, since it will run at 60fps on PC
It's just comfort zone, they know the fans will defend this and buy anyway.
lol what a bad post. If the CPU is the limiter that digital foundry has said than hmm I wonder. It's not lazy developers like your pretending to say maybe it is actually hardware.

Why do people keep bringing up BF1 when there is literally a clip in the Digital Foundry video of it barely managing to stay around 50 on a Pro? I don't know when sporadic frame dips become better than stability but I think that's just as silly as the "the eye can't see past 30fps".

I don't know why Bungie would lie. I have no clue what they have to gain.

Kyoufu

Why do people keep bringing up BF1 when there is literally a clip in the Digital Foundry video of it barely managing to stay around 50 on a Pro? I don't know when sporadic frame dips become better than stability but I think that's just as silly as the "the eye can't see past 30fps".

I don't know why Bungie would lie. I have no clue what they have to gain.

Armchair developers who refuse to look at the evidence presented to them and instead think they know better than actual developers. It's amusing to read.

Sony's biggest mistake was not just calling the pro the PS4k. It's WHY it was created, nobody gets that... it is as powerful as it needed to be in order to run the 4k upscaler without a significant decrease in a games performance and stability. It was never meant to be a higher framerate machine... if you have a 4k TV you get the ps4pro to play games at a better resolution, if you don't then a ps4 slim is good enough.

-hadouken

Why do people keep bringing up BF1 when there is literally a clip in the Digital Foundry video of it barely managing to stay around 50 on a Pro?
In the main, the game runs mostly at 60 in the 64P modes on Pro (and at a locked 60fps in the modes with fewer players.) Those moments were chosen to illustrate the lows. With slightly more juice, Scorpio would go close to hitting a consistent 60 across all modes.

DICE create a game with epic scale, destructive enviros, industry leading visuals, a plethora of vehicles and 64 players, yet still manage to get close to a 60fps target. They put Activision and Bungie to shame.

illamap

I get that it needs to be 30fps because of multiple ai driven characters. What i don't get that is the small bump in graphics. Imo they should have improved level geometry instead of adding bokeh, volumetric lighting, or budgeting tons of overhead for particles.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
This has nothing to do with pro, CPUs or any hardware, the game should be 60fps on all consoles in MP. Many games do it now, many did it last gen and the gen before it.

The bottom line is this...

Bungie's core design is based around a 30Hz engine

Bungie doesn't want to do the work, they are re-using so much from the last game.

-hadouken

Sony's biggest mistake was not just calling the pro the PS4k.
I'm guessing that would be the name if it wasn't a bit of a stretch from a technical perspective. Scorpio could still be the Xbox 4K, though MS might be concerned that the name will age badly with a PS5 around the corner.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
- Bungie's core design is based around a 30Hz engine

All he needed to say. Not a surprise, either.

It's obvious they CHOSE 30FPS.

All that narrative about PS4P being designed to favour resolution is bullshit.

"4K* gaming or perfomance upgrades"

That's how the PS4Pro was pitched.

"Performance" being the operative word, it's clear it's up to devs and their mission statement.

Whether BF1 maintains a locked 60 or not it's irrelevant.

4v4 vs 64v64 plus vehicles.

No excuses.

This post 2013... YIKES:
Anandtech have reviewed Intel's new Atom and it looks to finally deliver very competitive performance versus ARM processors at their trademark low power draws. What caught my eye is that it also beat the much higher power draw Jaguar used in the PS4 and XB1 in instructions per cycle (IPC).

This is quite exciting as it should mean that CPU wise, even bottom tier devices shouldn't have problems running most multiplatform next gen games (assuming most games aren't amazingly multithreaded). Of course, GPU heavy games will still require a beefy GPU but most GPU light next gen games should be quite playable on cheap Windows tablets releasing soon:

Jaguar= AMD A4-5000

Single threaded integer:
58110.png

Single threaded floating point :
58071.png

Mozilla Kraken Benchmark:
58067.png

http://anandtech.com/show/7314/intel-baytrail-preview-intel-atom-z3770-tested

It's like 99% of the power is in the GPU!

This only confirms the PC version for me. It ain't even just the frames either.

Having a field of view slider and text chat are game changers. Can go into the hub area and chat on who wants to do something and join up.

"Needs two more for raid"
"Invite me, light 198 healing warlock"

Oresama

This only confirms the PC version for me. It ain't even just the frames either.

Having a field of view slider and text chat are game changers. Can go into the hub area and chat on who wants to do something and join up.

"Needs two more for raid"
"Invite me, light 198 healing warlock"

Agreed. Even if consoles were 60fps, FOV slider and text chat alone still put it well ahead of consoles.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.

May I borrow those rose tinted Actibungie sunglasses?

Destiny 1 is a piece of shit.

It's a cordoned off, Play Place-style, theme park scale sandbox with fuck all happening piece of shit.

It's a fun co-op game and was a decent Halo-esque competitve shooter, but that's it.

It isn't doing anything, and I mean anything, special.

Blueblur1

It's a cordoned off, Play Place-style, theme park scale sandbox with fuck all happening piece of shit.

It's a fun co-op game and was a decent Halo-esque competitve shooter, but that's it.

Lol woowwwww

Oresama

130.gif

Stupid people, which most of their core audience consists of.

Wow, these takes, they're so hot!

why do people like rapier with scarlet letter, death-sentence tags keep posting, for like, years. masochism?

Matt

That's a hugh simplification for a lot of reasons.

The Scorpio CPU is not a big jump over the Pro's, and by extension the PS4's or XBO.

It's a subpar game (in many respects) with cynically but well implemented slot-machine qualities. That's how.

Ah, the old "they were only gambling" argument. What about the people who acquired all of the gear? or people who only played PvP? The people who ran raids with others despite having all the gear? What kept them around, gambling? Or did they just not exist?

I don't think the game is the pinnacle of all design, but at least give an argument that makes you seem like the game didn't steal your girlfriend and get you kicked out of college.

I never played Halo 5... I can't compare but Halo didn't run everything at 60fps too... there are parts of game logic running at 30fps from what I hear.
Half tick updates for far objects are nothing unusual and many games resort to that, even some 30fps games.

BiGBoSSMk23

Wow, these takes, they're so hot!

why do people like rapier with scarlet letter, death-sentence tags keep posting, for like, years. masochism?

It's ok to have bad taste. Hell, I don't care even if you spinelessly defend predatory products like Destiny as if it were your progeny.

But it's funny that you, a Destiny fan, are speaking of masochism.

How's the view bent over the Activision desk?

Fifty Shades of Awesome?

Top Bottom