• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digitaltimes: Nvidia will launch Pascal in the 2nd half of the year

dmr87

Edit - HBM2 cards specifically.

Sweclockers are reporting on it via a korean site. I don't know how reliable they are but I trust Sweclockers to not report on any garbage that pops up.

Apperently Nvidia are looking to wrap up their internal testing within 5-6 months and then go into production. So if this is true we're looking at Aug-Sept at the earliest I guess.

https://translate.google.se/transla...anseras-under-andra-halvan-av-2016&edit-text=
https://translate.google.se/transla...?article_no=2016012002100832794001&edit-text=

w0s

Glad I didn't hold off when I made a PC a couple months ago and just got a 980ti. I might just hold off until this thing isn't giving me the results I want since I have been more than happy with it.

Vuze

Huh, expected them earlier. Don't think I'll get one at launch anyway though if there isn't a spiritual successor to the 970 amongst the launch lineup (aka great price/performance ratio).

Fractal

Banned
That sucks if true... my 780 Ti is starting to show its age at 1440p with many recent titles, so I'd like to see the new cards earlier.

AmyS

Pretty much as expected since early last year, that Pascal would be 2nd half 2016.
Although that technically starts in July. I'm expecting a back to school launch window around August/September, so Q3 / late summer / beginning of fall.

The real question mark is, what will be the highest end Pascal released this year?

980 replacement, or a 980 Ti replacement (with Big Pascal GP100) ?

I'm betting on just 980 replacement (not the big flagship GPU).

Sweclockers are reporting on it via a korean site. I don't know how reliable they are but I trust Sweclockers to not report on any garbage that pops up.

Apperently Nvidia are looking to wrap up their internal testing within 5-6 months and then go into production. So if this is true we're looking at Aug-Sept at the earliest I guess.

https://translate.google.se/transla...anseras-under-andra-halvan-av-2016&edit-text=
https://translate.google.se/transla...?article_no=2016012002100832794001&edit-text=
Yikes, that is a lot longer than I thought it would be. I can only hope that this is not true.

ekim

Pretty much as expected since early last year, that Pascal would be 2nd half 2016.
Although that technically starts in July. I'm expecting a back to school launch window around August/September, so Q3 / late summer / beginning of fall.

The real question mark is, what will be the highest end Pascal released this year?

I would guess something in the price range of a 970 having the performance of a 980 Ti

I'm optimistic, I know

Guess I will go all out on CPU and just get a cheap video card and upgrade that over Christmas. I need a PC but was going to wait until Pascal. Not sure I can wait that long.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Yep. Delay is unfortunate but not surprising. But if they do 980-970-Titan-980ti, then you could be looking at 2017 for the really strong cards

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So instead of a birthday present, It's looking like Christmas. That's fine with me, gives me more time to set some play money aside for a nice midrange card.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
fine with me. i don't plan on building a new pc until late '16 or early '17 (nov-feb). hopefully new intel cpu's too later in the year.

Summer 2016

So between June and August.

Oo things are getting interesting. I'll probably get a new card around next Christmas so well see what happens in the first couple months after release. Is it assumed they will lead with their flagships or lower/mid ranged cards?

So AMD will get a chance first.

If true that will be really suprising to me. Nvidia has always been expert at timing the market and people have been holding off upgrading for Pascal/Polaris. If polaris comes in strong a month or more before Pascal releases it could pull some market back to AMD.

Älg

It's worth mentioning that the article seems very particular about this being Pascal with HBM2. Not sure if that means anything, but we might see GDDR5X Pascal cards earlier in the year?

paskowitz

The real question is which will launch first... big Pascal (Titan & 1080 Ti) or little Pascal (1070 or lower). Then the question is will this card even have HBM2? My bet is "Pascal" launches in August and it's "little" 1070 with GDDR5X and not HBM2. 980 TI performance for <$400 and "The card for VR".

My guess, "true" big Pascal with HBM2 only launches December 2016 or Q1 2017, with "better" non reference versions coming Q2 2017.

IMO AMD would be wise to combine an R9 Fury price drop to $400 in conjunction with their new 1080 Ti equivalent launching before the Nvidia's offering.

Kind of odd thing to celebrate but this makes me kinda happy. I switched to a 970 last month because it seemed like pascal was going to take too long. Looks like the high end pascal's might not even be ready for the end of this year so I guess I made the right move.

dmr87

Älg;193234523 said:
It's worth mentioning that the article seems very particular about this being Pascal with HBM2. Not sure if that means anything, but we might see GDDR5X Pascal cards earlier in the year?

Indeed, note added.

Recently got my 980 Ti, worthwile purchase if this turns out to be true.

MastAndo

Ahh, tired of waiting. Ordered an EVGA 970 SSC last night. It's not often I fall in love with a game like I have The Witcher 3 (which also simultaneously rekindled my PC gaming flame), and my 670 just wasn't performing to my liking.

Skenzin

Banned
Puts me in a tight position with my Oculus preorder. My sad little GTX960 isn't up to the task and Im not paying top dollar for old tech. Maybe pickup another 960, on the cheap, and try some SLI titles until Pascal comes out.

-AMD is not an option due to all the CUDA accelerated apps I run for video work.

If true that will be really suprising to me. Nvidia has always been expert at timing the market and people have been holding off upgrading for Pascal/Polaris. If polaris comes in strong a month or more before Pascal releases it could pull some market back to AMD.

AMD co-created HBM and have first dibs on HBM2 from what I recall. That would mean Pascal can't come out until Nvidia get access to the memory after AMD are finished with their Polaris release.

Tapejara

I'm very interested to see what AMD and NVIDIA put out this year. I bought an R9 270 as a stopgap two years ago and I'm hoping to upgrade this year.

AMD co-created HBM and have first dibs on HBM2 from what I recall. That would mean Pascal can't come out until Nvidia get access to the memory after AMD are finished with their Polaris release.

Well that's a ok to me. I've been with Nvidia for nearly 15 years but their recent walled garden approach with Gsync and Game works stuff has soured me a bit. I have a Freesync monitor now so maybe it's time to give AMD some business. God knows the industry needs it.

AmyS

No idea if there's any accuracy to this.

8szpCVs.png

roadmap through Pascal 1.0 (click to expand image)

Nvidia&#8217;s last GPU roadmap update came back in September last year, but the information was scarce at the time. Thanks to the latest update, we&#8217;re now aware of Nvidia&#8217;s future plans for 2016-2017, which are summarized below.

First of all, there is no change in the roadmap in relation to existing products. Strickly speaking, the Maxwell 1.0 core generation with the chip code number GM108 still exists, powering the low-end mobile products. The only adopted product include the GeForce 930M / 940M that features 3 Smaller Streaming Multiprocessors (SMMs) with 384 shader cores.

Speaking of this year, the next-gen Pascal architecture is scheduled to be deployed in every upcoming product. With the chip code name marked as GPxxx, the high-end products are expected to be powered by GP100, as published in the lecture slides at the 2015 Taiwan GTC Deep Learning, which was held back in September last year.

In addition to this, we&#8217;ve also recently spotted the GPU GP104 in a shipping manifest on Zauba. According to leaked details, the chip comes in a 37.5×37.5mm BGA package, and has 2152 pins. Which indicates that the new Pascal chip is not only smaller in size, but features a much denser architecture making the chip theoretically faster than both GTX 980 Ti and TITAN X.

Further, the GP104 will have a die size of around 300 to 350 mm² as compared to the GM204&#8217;s 398 mm², while the GP100 aka the Big Pascal will come with a little more 450 mm². Moreover, the chip is rumored to feature 32GB of VRAM and nearly 17 billion transistors in a relatively smaller packing. The flagship Pascal GPUs are based on the 16nm FinFET process and are said to use the next generation High Bandwidth Memory, or HBM2, standard.

As for the unveiling, the Titan grade products based on the GP100 are expected to be announced in April, with the downgrade version to debut in June 2017. On the other hand, the GP104 based series, allegedly called the GeForce GTX 1080, and its scaled down version GTX 1070 will be unveiled in June this year, just before or after COMPUTEX.

http://techfrag.com/2016/01/25/nvid...-in-april-gtx-1080-in-june-and-volta-in-2017/

original source is Chinese.

artsi

My Rift ships in April probably, so I guess I'll upgrade to 980ti now and let's see what comes up in H2. I play 1440p now anyway so my 780 doesn't really cut it anymore.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
My SLI 970's are holding up alright, but given that I do play in native 4K, I could definitely use more power. (Had to bump Fallout 4 down to 1440p).

How big of a leap are we talking here? How likely is it that single Pascal card would be a worthy upgrade?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
See: We ain't got competition bitche$$$$$
Additional reading: Buy a 970/980Ti for VR then or next card right after

Top Bottom