• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Xbox One S impressions from a lucky Norwegian

Bgamer90

Banned
Remember this guy?

http://www.minimallyminimal.com/2012/7/3/the-next-microsoft.html

He shared his design ideas for MS openly. MS hired him.

He's been working at hardware and design language division since 2013 and was involved in the Xbox One S.

tjzq78q.png

Of note, he is heavily influenced by renowned Braun designer Dieter Rams. Many of the people in the Microsoft design group are. Just looking up Rams work you can clearly see the influences.

I never made the connection. Loved reading his blog 2-3 years ago. Great to see his designs come to life.

iavi

Remember this guy?

He's been working at hardware and design language division since 2013 and was involved in the Xbox One S.

tjzq78q.png

Of note, he is heavily influenced by renowned Braun designer Dieter Rams. Many of the people in the Microsoft design group are. Just looking up Rams work you can clearly see the influences.

Read his blog. This dude's design sense is impeccable. If the S is an indication of what's to come for all the hardware--surface, scorpio, phone etc. MS is going kill it.

Dre3001

So how limited is the 2TB expected to be?

Is it something that can be expected to be available come holiday season?

Odoul

I've been looking for some info on the S so apologies if this is the wrong thread/answered elsewhere.

1. Is it possible to transfer your savegame data to an S from an Original 20GB 360?
2. Can you transfer your entire profile achievements and all or do you have to start over on the next gen?
3. I know the original XO you had to connect to the net once before you could do anything else. Is that still the case for the S?

Bessy67

I've been looking for some info on the S so apologies if this is the wrong thread/answered elsewhere.

1. Is it possible to transfer your savegame data to an S from an Original 20GB 360?
2. Can you transfer your entire profile achievements and all or do you have to start over on the next gen?
3. I know the original XO you had to connect to the net once before you could do anything else. Is that still the case for the S?

1) You have to move your saves on the 360 to cloud storage. Then they'll automatically be detected by your Xbox One
2) Your gamertag and achievements are the same as your 360 one
3) Not sure

So I have some comparisons, not much and the difference isn't that big from each other:

Booting Rise of the Tomb Raider from disk: - Slim: 15.64 seconds - OG: 16.82 seconds

Rebooting: - Slim: 1 minute 26.94 seconds - OG: 1 minute 36.56 seconds

Plex: - Slim: 8.70 seconds - OG: 8.52 seconds

thenexus6

Remember this guy?

tjzq78q.png

Yeah, been following his blog for years. He's working on the Holo lens team now I believe.

hoyalawya

If you are doing Atmos, do it right. Fuck that cheap ass shit and ghetto setups.

.2 should be standard anyway and your first priority as it improves bass so much it is not even funny.

And really to replicate anything that makes Atmos special you should have 9 speakers. Otherwise might as well don't even mention that the Xbox doesn't support Atmos, 7 channel linear PCM is just fine.

Doing it right depends largely on the room and seating placement, I have a 19' x 17' living room, my sitting position is on the long side, sofa is against the back wall, and I chose to go with a 5.1.2 speaker configuration. I could have pre-wired for more speakers but more speakers do not necessarily means better sound. In my unfinished basement home theater room, I am planning for an 13.2.4 speaker configuration with 144" projection screen once I am ready to build the room out. The room and equipment will be very expensive.

THE:MILKMAN

I got impatient waiting to find out if the S is on 14nm so asked Mike Ybarra directly on Discord. No answer so far so can only assume it is NDA'd for some reason or not 14nm.

Wonder why this simple question is being avoided so hard?

Hawk269

Too much focus on the console war discussions. Don't feed the trolling. Go with S is for Sexy instead, or 40% slimmer and sexier, something like that.
I agree. As funny as fuck the OT title is, we don't need to feed trolls. That thread was bad and fed trolls especially the OP if it. No need to flame it more.

I like the one that said the s does not stand for Scorpio.

Hawk269

I got impatient waiting to find out if the S is on 14nm so asked Mike Ybarra directly on Discord. No answer so far so can only assume it is NDA'd for some reason or not 14nm.

Wonder why this simple question is being avoided so hard?
I thought someone posted something that Mike said it uses less power which would imply a smaller die.

THE:MILKMAN

I thought someone posted something that Mike said it uses less power which would imply a smaller die.

Yeah apparently he did say that it has a "shrinked soc" but I didn't see the question asked. I directly asked if it was on 14nm but he didn't answer. He did answer other questions after this.

Less power doesn't necessarily mean a smaller die. PS4 reduced power by up to 20W without a smaller die.

Kazooie

Banned
Those pics are already in this topic :) are from a website i write for: https://inthegame.nl/breaking-inthegame-xbox-one-s/

If you have soms questions please ask them, can awnser them while playing dark souls 3 haha.

Playing for about 2 hours now and this thing is.... whisper quiet.. like really I dont hear anything

Great to hear! Tuesday can't come soon enough.

I would buy a Ps4 slim if they make one but it will probably be louder than a Concord lifting off.

Top Bottom