• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft shows Ori and the Blind Forest PC version at Xbox One stand

Glass Rebel

Does Microsoft have a separate stand for PC games? I don't really see the outrage either way. The game doesn't seem to be that demanding and probably won't look or play that different on PC vs. XBOX One. It's not like they're showing Forza running on a Titan Black or anything...

Lazaro

Windows 8/8.1 is built as a consumer OS so a lot of advanced options/features that were in 7 aren't in 8/8.1 (e.g. AD-HOC). That's why Microsoft ships Dev Kits with Win 7 Professional x64. Nintendo and Sony also use to Windows 7.
large.jpg

Microsoft sais they'll focus on Enterprise features in the next iteration of Windows. So we'll see...

Couldn't the devs at least change the Windows Background to a wallpaper that reflects their game

I don't see the big deal. Game will be pretty much the same thing on the Xbox One anyway.

You really don't see anything wrong with misleading people into thinking the game is running on a different platform than it actually is?

Chances are pretty high that the PC version and Xbox One version of this particular game will be indistinguishable. I don't see where the issue is.

ElRenoRaven

Yea don't care about the game running on PC. The real hilarious story here is that even Microsoft is still using Windows 7. LMAO

abadguy

Banned
You really don't see anything wrong with misleading people into thinking the game is running on a different platform than it actually is?

You people try way too hard to make something out of nothing. It's getting a bit old at this point.

jem0208

I don't see the big deal. Game will be pretty much the same thing on the Xbox One anyway.

Chances are pretty high that the PC version and Xbox One version of this particular game will be indistinguishable. I don't see where the issue is.

Yeah, it's a pretty game however everything we've seen so far would be easily manageable on the X1.

nynt9

You people try way too hard to make something out of nothing. It's getting a bit old at this point.

It's not that the game will be distinguishable, which is may or may not be, but it's that this is an unnecessary misdirection. They don't need to have the Xbox unit there. The game is PC+Xbox exclusive anyway. Just don't put the dummy Xbox there. I'm simply opposed to misleading people on principle.

tit

You can tell from the file explorer window. Win8 has the ribbon.

its a small downloadable indie game, what you see on even a maxed out pc to a console will be next to negligible due to the art style, they already confirmed the game to run at 1080p at 60fps for xbox one

It's not that the game will be distinguishable, which is may or may not be, but it's that this is an unnecessary misdirection. They don't need to have the Xbox unit there. The game is PC+Xbox exclusive anyway. Just don't put the dummy Xbox there. I'm simply opposed to misleading people on principle.

You have a point on the principle of putting the Xbox One there, but you also need to see it from the perspective of the publisher that is looking for that game to do very well on a platform such as the Xbox One. From Microsoft's perspective, and possibly also from the developer's perspective, having the Xbox One be present even if the game isn't running off of it, is important because it tells the person playing and anyone else that happens to pass by and like the game that this is a game that's coming to the Xbox One. I've attended a few shows like this and believe me when I tell you that if you don't have the appropriate system there, people won't even know that they can buy and play it on another platform.

Not going the extra lengths to ensure people know this is an Xbox One game wouldn't be a smart move.

nynt9

You have a point on the principle of putting the Xbox One there, but you also need to see it from the perspective of the publisher that is looking for that game to do very well on a platform such as the Xbox One. From Microsoft's perspective, and possibly also from the developer's perspective, having the Xbox One be present even if the game isn't running off of it, is important because it tells the person playing and anyone else that happens to pass by and like the game that this is a game that's coming to the Xbox One. I've attended a few shows like this and believe me when I tell you that if you don't have the appropriate system there, people won't even know that they can buy and play it on another platform.

Not going the extra lengths to ensure people know this is an Xbox One game wouldn't be a smart move.

You can put an Xbox One logo there. In that case there would be no misdirection. But putting a console there implies it's running on the console. I know it's probably a minor distinction to most people, but to me it implies two different things. Oh well.

Salty Hippo

Do you really have any doubts that the game will look EXACTLY the same on the Xbox One? It's a 2D indie game ffs.

Did this really need to be sensationalized for a 2D indie game? Are we really concerned about the One performance in this particular instance?

This is the established norm.

It's only "news"/"scandal" when companies claim that PC-level graphics are being run on their consoles.

No one has doubts that Ori will look fine on any of the current gen platforms.

statham

Nope. at this stage most games are running on PCs, unless you want them to break off part of the development team to move the game over to XB1 just for this convention. Waste of time IMO.

Dabanton

OP's ears must be burning.

I guess this thread didn't turn out like he thought it would.

I mean two pics and a google translate link, no comment from the OP about what his opinion is on this.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Nope. at this stage most games are running on PCs, unless you want them to break off part of the development team to move the game over to XB1 just for this convention. Waste of time IMO.
What? A few months before launch the games certainly should be running in the target platforms and not just on PC.

The only bad thing is that they show a Xbox One when not playing on Xbox One. But because it's Ori and not Ryse 2, it's not an issue.

Ziffles

Every does this. Educate yourself

"Sony too"

Well Sony doesn't own Windows and is pretty much out of the PC business. Meanwhile Microsoft is constantly attempting to sideline PC gaming on their own operating system to promote their hardware. It's just disingenuous.

Top Bottom