• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New EA game (DA3) listed only for Xbox One on Amazon Italy (Mirror's Edge 2 website)

Mrbob

It all makes sense now. Riccitello wandered onto the wrong stage that E3.

busteru9kdx.gif

Jinko

After Dragon Age 2 and SWTOR, I couldn't care less if its MS exclusive.

Although a bit worrying if EA has gone exclusive right across the board lol. (For Sony, not me)

sense

i highly doubt EA is going to make either exclusive to xbox one but we shall see. i can defintely see exclusive dlc first to xbox one and unique kinect integration as well.

Wouldn't EA turn bankrupt if they had most of their popular titles (Mirrors edge, Dragon Age) exclusive to the XO?
If the system bombs yeah, but I don't think they will be exclusive or go bankrupt. The reason they release it on all the platforms is to reach every audience possible (make money) who might not own all of the consoles.

I'm baffled as to why Amazon would feel the need to put these on their site so soon?
So the 15 exclusives are something like:
Halo 5
Forza 5
Killer Instinct
Mirror's Edge 2
Dragon Age 3
Fable IV
Gears

New IP
Quantum Break
Ryse
Rumored Insomniac game
Kinect Fitness
Kinect Game 2
Kinect Game 3
XBLA Game
XBLA Game 2

I'm sure you do this in every thread. It was 15 exclusive first party games.

After Dragon Age 2 and SWTOR, I couldn't care less if its MS exclusive.

Although a bit worrying if EA has gone exclusive right across the board lol. (For Sony, not me)

Wouldn't an exclusive, multiple-year partnership with EA eat up a ton of that apparent "1 billion in exclusives!" claim MS made?

Or was that 1 billion figure just some crazy hyperbole?

P44

Yeah, uh, I dunno, I guess I can't really see the EA games being xbone exclusives now. It's just too much of a shit strategy, even for EA/MS. The oppurtunity cost for EA and the amount of moneyhat money for MS for DA...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Honestly I think Dragon Age 2 could have been a good game, but it's very very clear that it got rushed to release. Besides the endemic content reuse (I actually don't think there's a single new setpiece in Act 2 or Act 3), the third Act's plot doesn't make a lick of sense and the ending basically comes out of nowhere with no real build-up. That's a clear sign that a game was rushed. The Saboteur has a similar sort of issue and we know that was rushed.

I mean, there are a bunch of problems with the general direction BioWare has been taking, but I don't read much into Dragon Age II besides that it was rushed.

to this I say "meh". bioware peaked at mass effect and dragon age and then went on a slow and steady decline through the end of the generation. So yeah, not enough for me to buy an XBone.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
its messed up though. If EA for instance does a Mass Effect, and brings the first part of a franchise to Xbox one only (and MS pays for whatever EA might have made on the PS4 version plus some extra), that then hamstrings them down the line for future versions of the game.

Year one you can get away with being moneyhatted, it wouldn't cost that much to cover the losses from the other platform. But years 2+ you need to go multiplatform, so why piss off the PS4 userbase in advance?

bro1

Banned
My only concern is the PC side of the business. I would be very upset if DAIII did not come out on PC.

daveo42

Banned
Wouldn't an exclusive, multiple-year partnership with EA eat up a ton of that apparent "1 billion in exclusives!" claim MS made?

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if most of that money went to securing games from 3rd parties and they would then be considered exclusives. It would just mean the Microsoft Studio games are all Kinect games made by small teams on small budgets.

If MS truly has this type of exclusive support coming from EA, then I can see the company sticking to its drm plans. They'll feel like they have gamers by the balls. I still doubt EA will exclusively support MS. That wouldn't make shareholders happy unless the profitability of such arrangement was seen immediately.

its messed up though. If EA for instance does a Mass Effect, and brings the first part of a franchise to Xbox one only (and MS pays for whatever EA might have made on the PS4 version plus some extra), that then hamstrings them down the line for future versions of the game.

Year one you can get away with being moneyhatted, it wouldn't cost that much to cover the losses from the other platform. But years 2+ you need to go multiplatform, so why piss off the PS4 userbase in advance?

Great point.
Maybe if the deal is sweet enough they'll take the risk?

Money talks... and maybe they are counting on gamers not having long-term memories?

It'll be interesting to see.
Again, if this '1 billion dollars in exclusives' deal is legit, that's an unprecedented amount of money-hatting.

Patryn

Honestly I think Dragon Age 2 could have been a good game, but it's very very clear that it got rushed to release. Besides the endemic content reuse (I actually don't think there's a single new setpiece in Act 2 or Act 3), the third Act's plot doesn't make a lick of sense and the ending basically comes out of nowhere with no real build-up. That's a clear sign that a game was rushed. The Saboteur has a similar sort of issue and we know that was rushed.

I mean, there are a bunch of problems with the general direction BioWare has been taking, but I don't read much into Dragon Age II besides that it was rushed.

Yeah, but the question for me is: Did Bioware go into the project knowing the tight timetable and just plan really, really poorly for it? Or did EA pull the rug out from under them and cut their development time?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I could see X1 getting Next Gen exclusives rather than full blown exclusives, it would be a much less risky deal for a publisher to strike and we know we'll be seeing split-gen games for the next 12 months at least.

Yes. Though I think you have a confused interpretation of how much 1 billion would be...it would be big, but not an absurd investment of cash given the size of the industry and the Xbox brand name.

Wouldn't EA turn bankrupt if they had most of their popular titles (Mirrors edge, Dragon Age) exclusive to the XO?

Mirrors Edge is one of EA's popular IPs? It's a lovely title, but it has more of a cult following than being a blockbuster.

Mxrz

Up till act 3 I thought it was pretty good and couldn't understand most of the hate, then bam. There it is.

And I'd seriously doubt this is Xbone exclusive. Even if you want to believe there is no PS4 version (They had the PS logo on their media already, no?) the PC version isn't going to stop being a thing.

ReaperXL7

Well since its looking like Witcher 3 is exclusive to PS4 at the moment it would seem that Sony has won this battle. I dont want to return to the shit mountian.

Loonz

As you say, for the first year / year an a half I believe it will be easy for MS to pay for exclusives, if so they want. PS4's userbase will be negligible enough for them to cover the difference EA would make by making those games multplatform. Once PS4's userbase begins to rise to significant numbers, it might get too expensive.

I'm sure MS is trying to cripple not only PS4's actual 3rd party catalog, but the speed Sony's console gets new users. I don't know if I'm making any real sense here, just guessing.

Good thing I don't like anything EA has put out in the last 10-15 years that I can remember outside of Dead Space 1 and 2. Pretty sweet deal for them and their base though. Hell of a deal for them actually. I'd love to see the financial numbers behind it. They've gotta be massive.

Top Bottom