• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigiTimes: Foxconn trialing production of NX, ~10m units expected annually

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Lump

Banned
Sony just had a confs and already has a date for their Dec PS experience, meanwhile at Nintendo we still have no clue when the NX reveal will be smh

Well that's because it isn't out till March at the earliest. Sony revealed a December product in September (3 months out) so if we are measuring them by the same logic why would Nintendo show anything for NX before December?

Even if we allow for the fact that it's a brand new console/platform, with launch lineup to promote etc which require a bit more time, it still makes no sense to worry unless we havn't heard anything by November.

Not directed at you personally; but as is usual in Nintendo speculation threads, we're confusing or own wild expectations and anticipation with reality.

fossi8

Am I the only one who thinks that we will have 2 (or 3) different versions of the NX?

They are targeting different segments, the casual with the "lighter version" maybe for 200$ - 250$ and the Pro version for 100 more.

Well that's because it isn't out till March at the earliest. Sony revealed a December product in September (3 months out) so if we are measuring them by the same logic why would Nintendo show anything for NX before December?

Even if we allow for the fact that it's a brand new console/platform, with launch lineup to promote etc which require a bit more time, it still makes no sense to worry unless we havn't heard anything by November.

Not directed at you personally; but as is usual in Nintendo speculation threads, we're confusing or own wild expectations and anticipation with reality.

Sony unveiled a refresh. Nintendo's about to reveal their next generation. People don't have overexpectations for Nintendo, it's just Nintendo underdelivering.

That's always been my thinking.

The only way I can see a hybrid being a success is if it launches at $199 or less. Handheld gamers won't pay more than that...and home console gamers won't feel too ripped off at that price for an underpowered machine.

$250 is not a rip off either way if the NX has good software which it should. You guys don't have to like this direction Nintendo has taken but they really have no choice. They can't support two devices anymore and they can't compete in the "core box" market so this is what they are left with.

Kyzer

Banned
That's always been my thinking.

The only way I can see a hybrid being a success is if it launches at $199 or less. Handheld gamers won't pay more than that...and home console gamers won't feel too ripped off at that price for an underpowered machine.

so the only way for a hybrid to be a success is to be the same price as a previous gen handheld

MacTag

Banned
Am I the only one who thinks that we will have 2 (or 3) different versions of the NX?

They are targeting different segments, the casual with the "lighter version" maybe for 200$ - 250$ and the Pro version for 100 more.
That worked out terribly for Wii U so I doubt it. We'll get incremental new models and refreshes but I really see only one sku for launch to ease inventory concerns. I could see two for Japan though if they wanted to do a cheaper mobile only sku targeted at the region.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
1. Original rumor hits from Emily Rogers and Eurogamer (who most likely have the exact same source as the past has shown).

2. As a result, everyone expects September reveal.

3. Original source of rumor leak (Emily) tweets it will now be revealed in October.

4. Most people still cling to September reveal.

I guess I don't get the line of logic here.

Indeed.
There is NOTHING that points to a September reveal right now.
We had rumblings about a September 22nd event, and it actually happenend, but it was a retail event at NoE, probably focused on their Wii U/3DS strategy for the Holiday season, as the Wii U end of distribution topic heavily suggests

The_Lump

Banned
Sony unveiled a refresh. Nintendo's about to reveal their next generation. People don't have overexpectations for Nintendo, it's just Nintendo underdelivering.

Well if you're not even going to bother making an effort to read my whole post before replying, I'll help you out ;) ....

ME IN MY SECOND PARAGRAPH said:
Even if we allow for the fact that it's a brand new console/platform, with launch lineup to promote etc which require a bit more time , it still makes no sense to worry unless we havn't heard anything by November.

udivision

Do you mean consoles of different power, or different bundles with extra junk thrown in?

bachikarn

The longer it takes to reveal, the more I agree with the idea that Nintendo is struggling with (perfecting?) how to present the concept, or they literally don't have any games in a presentable state.

The whole thing is just odd to me. I still cannot fathom them missing Christmas 2016, unless they literally needed those three extra months to have any games ready.

I think that would depend on what you consider a "pro" version of the console. If you're thinking of a Wii-U basic/deluxe setup, I would absolutely agree with you. I'd personally love an NX bundle that comes with a "pro" controller in the box for a bit more money.

If you're thinking of something in line with PS4 vs PS4 Pro, I do not see that happening at all if the NX truly is a hybrid console.

MuchoMalo

Banned
What's special about October 11th?

It's a Tuesday. Nintendo announces thing on Tuesdays. On top of that, I doubt that Nintendo would announce the reveal only 2-3 days in advance, and they wouldn't hold an event in the last week of October due to the earnings release. That only leaves the week of the 17th open for an event unless Nintendo is ballsy enough to announce it on the day as Pokemon info, and thus the 11th is the final likely day they'd announce the date of the event.

As for why January, Nintendo still needs to put out a unit forecast for NX. Thus, if they're announcing it this year, they'll want to do it before the earnings release.

And for delay, it's simple: What could possibly happen to cause the reveal to be delayed a few months, yet have no effect on the release date? Not much that I can think of. The only possibility that comes to mind is them trying to distance themselves from PS4 Pro hype, and if Nintendo has so little faith in NX that they're terrified of PS4 Pro, it is not going to succeed.

Unrelated to NX. It's too early for Volta, and that chip seems to be a truly car-focused SoC. It would be far too large for NX.

ozfunghi

I have a question. If the NX is exactly what reports suggest it is; a powerful handheld that can dock to a TV, who's the target audience?

Everyone
Nintendo fans
Kids
Hardcore gamers that want a second system that offers some variation to what they can play on their PS4/XBO/PC, especially since there is no other dedicated portable gaming device around with the same appeal and/or catalog
Japanese gamers
Pokémon crowd
Mobile gamers looking to upgrade
Gamers that don't have as much time as they used to and don't want a "home console" timeframe and a "portable timeframe" in which they have to devide their gaming experience, and hence, don't want to buy two systems on which they can barely play. But rather have one system they can maximize their time on.

I think the problem doesn't lie in finding enough people that could see the appeal in this, but in marketing it so that it catches the interest of everyone that might jump in. It's a varied audience, so it needs a universal approach. They need to keep it simple and make it clear what the strengths of the system are.

1. Original rumor hits from Emily Rogers and Eurogamer (who most likely have the exact same source as the past has shown).

3. Original source of rumor leak (Emily) tweets it will now be revealed in October.

I don't get it either. Users here saying to bet on a Tuesday announcement of a reveal date and there is just no way. Fall just started.

Nightbird

Everyone
Nintendo fans
Kids
Hardcore gamers that want a second system that offers some variation to what they can play on their PS4/XBO/PC, especially since there is no other dedicated portable gaming device around with the same appeal and/or catalog
Japanese gamers
Pokémon crowd
Mobile gamers looking to upgrade
Gamers that don't have as much time as they used to and don't want a "home console" timeframe and a "portable timeframe" in which they have to devide their gaming experience, and hence, don't want to buy two systems on which they can barely play. But rather have one system they can maximize their time on.

I think the problem doesn't lie in finding enough people that could see the appeal in this, but in marketing it so that it catches the interest of everyone that might jump in. It's a varied audience, so it needs a universal approach. They need to keep it simple and make it clear what the strengths of the system are.

It needs to be marketed as powerful system ( call it the best device to play games on the go)

also they meed to make clear that they have a variety of (new) games available for everyone who wants to jump in

MuchoMalo

Banned

I'm pretty sure that most people have only been expecting a date to be announced this week with the reveal in October. You can't blame us either, with only about 3 weeks to work with in October. That's also why a lot of people are losing faith in a reveal this year

AmyS

Excuse the obvious here.

October makes more sense than September.

Nintendo said they'd talk more about NX in the Fall, right?

Most of September is still summer (every year) and this year fall started on the 22nd. Yeah, we're almost a week into fall, but the first full month of fall is of course, October.

Excuse the obvious here.

Most of September is still summer (every year) and this year fall started on the 22nd. Yeah, we're almost a week into fall, but the first full month of fall is of course, October.

Yeah, we've only had a week of fall in September. I feel like there's no way the NX is revealed past October 20th.

Also "summons BY2K"

Speely

Banned
Excuse the obvious here.

Yep. People just get thirsty and start chasing mirages. Still a whole month left.

Nanashrew

Banned
Excuse the obvious here.

I thought sense wasn't allowed in this thread?

It's hard to blame people for expecting a September reveal. Nintendo of Canada walked back that "Fall" comment even though Fall always seemed likely (to me at least), and John Harker kept mentioning Nintendo "racing" with Sony to reveal first, and that it was likely at one point planned for pre-TGS. It's certainly not hard to believe there was a delay for the reveal, though it's for sure not 100%.

Yeah, we've only had a week of fall in September. I feel like there's no way the NX is revealed past October 20th.

Also "summons BY2K"

Ha, yeah that Fall quote really gets him going, doesn't it?

Either way at this point it doesn't matter that they walked back that comment, it's now Fall and it would be quite surprising if they don't reveal it before December 21st (winter).

Some of you are acting like we should've known September wouldn't have been a reveal month.

When John Harker says it looks like Nintendo might miss TGS it makes it sound like September would be a reveal month for NX. Then you have Nico saying the NX was going to be revealed around September 20.

Give me a break with this you knew October was going to be the month. And also none of us were expecting a reveal this week. It's plausible to expect a NX announcement this week since Fall began.

It's hard to blame people for expecting a September reveal. Nintendo of Canada walked back that "Fall" comment even though Fall always seemed likely (to me at least), and John Harker kept mentioning Nintendo "racing" with Sony to reveal first, and that it was likely at one point planned for pre-TGS. It's certainly not hard to believe there was a delay for the reveal, though it's for sure not 100%.

Ha, yeah that Fall quote really gets him going, doesn't it?

Either way at this point it doesn't matter that they walked back that comment, it's now Fall and it would be quite surprising if they don't reveal it before December 21st (winter).

Yeah fall or end of the year is practically changeable.

TLZ

Banned
Excuse the obvious here.

I still stand by my words that we are most likely seeing nothing until Paper Mario Colour Splash is out of the way. I don't care what people respond with. I'm just thinking from a business sense. But hey no one listens to a nobody. It's all about the Emilys.

Some of you are acting like we should've known September wouldn't have been a reveal month.

When John Harker says it looks like Nintendo might miss TGS it makes it sound like September would be a reveal month for NX. Then you have Nico saying the NX was going to be revealed around September 20.

Give me a break with this you knew October was going to be the month. And also none of us were expecting a reveal this week. It's plausible to expect a NX announcement this week since Fall began.

Well I agree. When I mentioned 'nothing until paper mario out' most of you told me it's irrelevant. Look at yous now ;)

How are Nintendo fucking under delivering when they haven't even announced the NX?

Seriously this thread sure has gone places.

Clessidor

Stupid question but are Pokémon announcement really so important, that Nintendo wouldn't announce something during the same week?
Of course next week would be when the final Colour Splash video will came out and stuff. But would the announcement of an event really take away so much attention from upcoming Nintendos products? It's just an announcement after all without much information.

I think, the reviews of CS will als come out next week. I doubt Nintendo would really take so much attention away when they let people know their reveal planes. People would just know and make planes. That's it. Only the core enthusiasts would speculate and talk about the upcoming event. Others would just wait for the event and watch it.

I'm also kinda surprised nobody has mentioned so far that news which claims Nintendo is not attending PGG this year, which is going around on reddit. But is reported by jeuxvideo.com (french) Honestly, I don't know if that news is reliable or even worthy to talk about. That's why I'm asking^^

21XX

Banned
I still stand by my words that we are most likely seeing nothing until Paper Mario Colour Splash is out of the way. I don't care what people respond with. I'm just thinking from a business sense. But hey no one listens to a nobody. It's all about the Emilys.

Well I agree. When I mentioned 'nothing until paper mario out' most of you told me it's irrelevant. Look at yous now ;)

Well, certainly not with that self-pitying attitude.

I think the Paper Mario timeline is possible, but I also think that the game doesn't even come close to being able to interfere with a console campaign, so it's a bit of a toss up. I'd say it's closer to not mattering than mattering.

I'm pretty sure that most people have only been expecting a date to be announced this week with the reveal in October. You can't blame us either, with only about 3 weeks to work with in October. That's also why a lot of people are losing faith in a reveal this year

But a lot of people think that the moon landing was fake...so a lot of people can be really dumb.

I will worry about the release if we don't hear anything till new years eve.

Roo

Remember when we thought Nintendo would reveal NX before TGS so third parties could talk about their games for the system?

Yeah, me too. Those were the days..

Taker666

so the only way for a hybrid to be a success is to be the same price as a previous gen handheld

It won't sell to the masses at over $200..simple as that. Vita didn't, 3DS didn't, this won't.

Over $200 alienates the handheld market....and the home console market won't be impressed if it's weaker than PS4/Xbox1..but at a similar price. Those who would usually buy both are a niche.

Being a hybrid adds zero value if you're someone who only wants a handheld..in the same way being a hybrid adds zero value if all you wanted was a home console.

Over $200 alienates the handheld market....and the home console market won't be impressed if it's weaker than PS4/Xbox1 but at a similar price.

Richie

I think the Paper Mario timeline is possible, but I also think that the game doesn't even come close to being able to interfere with a console campaign, so it's a bit of a toss up. I'd say it's closer to not mattering than mattering.

The way I see it, Nintendo's sat on the announcement this long, so another week to wait for info is nothing AND gives their latest (last, sans Zelda?) 1st party Wii U release some of the spotlight before everyone turns their eyes to the future.

Taker666

$250 is not a rip off either way if the NX has good software which it should. You guys don't have to like this direction Nintendo has taken but they really have no choice. They can't support two devices anymore and they can't compete in the "core box" market so this is what they are left with.

They don't have to support two devices, they can sell two devices that play the same software with the hardware tailored to the needs of each market...each with a lower rrp than a hybrid device.

Better to sell a home console for $179-$199 and a handheld for $179-$199 (that both play the same software without the added costs a hybrid brings), than a single hybrid device at $250.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Incorrect. She reported that there would be someone posting a story about the NX that week.

IIRC, she leaked the day before that the EG story was coming so she obviously shares a source. EG also corroborate her Mother 3 news.

MuchoMalo

Banned
They don't have to support two devices, they can sell two devices that play the same software with the hardware tailored to the needs of each market...each with a lower rrp than a hybrid device.

Better to sell a home console for $179-$199 and a handheld for $179-$199 (that both play the same software without the added costs a hybrid brings), than a single hybrid device at $250.

Then you have both a weak handheld and a weak console.

3DS failed at $250 due to having both poor hardware and launch software, while Vita just wasn't something the market wanted (a portable but worse PS3). NX can succeed at $250 if it has everything it needs to succeed at that price point. A console weaker than Xbone doesn't have appeal, even at $180. Also, we shouldn't rule out $200 for the hybrid quite yet.

I'm gonna have to see the receipts 😀

Anth0ny

and again, why mix messaging going into the holiday season by announcing new hardware that won't be available until March?

Pokemon Go was a worldwide phenomenon this year. Pokemon Sun/Moon has the potential to be MASSIVE this holiday, along with 3DS hardware sales with it.

I really think they are going to go all in with Pokemon this year and they won't mention NX until January, after the holidays.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
and again, why mix messaging going into the holiday season by announcing new hardware that won't be available until March?

Pokemon Go was a worldwide phenomenon this year. Pokemon Sun/Moon has the potential to be MASSIVE this holiday, along with 3DS hardware sales with it.

I really think they are going to go all in with Pokemon this year and they won't mention NX until January, after the holidays.
Reveal the NX only 2 months before release? Yeah.....no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom