• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigiTimes: Foxconn trialing production of NX, ~10m units expected annually

Status
Not open for further replies.
Second delay? When was the first?

I'm guessing Holiday 2016 from SMD's leak--> March 2017 is the first and the hypothetical March 2017 --> Whenever delay being described is the second.

Though NX being planned for the holiday would have been an internal target. Its March release is the first official date known to the public and so it probably isn't technically a public delay.

I think he means the Holiday 2016 -> March 2017 "delay" which we are only assuming based on SMD's one and only leak.

It's likely accurate that it was planned at some point for this holiday but people act like it was officially scheduled for then when it never was.

Wait are we talking about a console delay? Cause there isn't
Or about an announcement delay? Cause Nintendo just said they will talk about NX in 2017 and eurogamer had the rumor with end of September (which was kinda right for NoE retailer meeting in Germany) and as we know Tesco already tweaked their website ("price" leak) so maybe they are preparing for going live with preorders

I won't lose all hope for March until the investor briefing, but if there's no news by October 14, I'm probably gonna start leaning towards a delay.

Yado

Indeed. The closer to launch they wait, the more plentiful the leaks will be. As more developers get their hands on dev kits, as legions of hundreds of QA testers get their hands on test kits, leaks will become unavoidable and we will quickly know exactly what the NX is. They can't keep it under wraps forever, so it would be in their best interest to unveil it in their own terms beforehand.

I see people say this a lot but the weeks are coming and going and there haven't been any leaks. Surely developers have it, dev kits are out there already etc

L Thammy

I see people say this a lot but the weeks are coming and going and there haven't been any leaks. Surely developers have it, dev kits are out there already etc

Does this not include Eurogamer, Emily Rogers, etc? I wouldn't be surprised if a big part of the lack of further leaks is that - software aside - there just isn't that much more to leak. If this information is true, there's no reason to assume that we don't already know the NX's USP.

Funny how Eurogamer went so quiet after July and Emily kept going. Does she have better sources than all these big publications? What happened to Eurogamers source? They never corroborated her anymore since July I believe.

MuchoMalo

Banned

I mean, from Nintendo's own wording of why it's releasing in March it's obvious that they targeted Holiday 2016 at some point but couldn't make it and delayed it internally. This isn't even a debatable fact after they explained that it's launching in March to make sure that enough software would be ready, ad well as their barren E3 lineup.

Funny how Eurogamer went so quiet after July and Emily kept going. Does she have better sources than all these big publications? What happened to Eurogamers source? They never corroborated her anymore since July I believe.

It's probably because Eurogamer is likely more protective of their reputation, so they'd only publish reports that they've verified with a large number of sources.

Whereas Emily Rogers probably only has a few sources giving her info and her reporting on those sources wouldn't damage the reputation of a big name website like Eurogamer if they turn out false.

Not that I'm doubting her, but I assume that's the major difference there. Eurogamer wants to be absolutely sure and confident in what they are reporting, Emily Rogers just wants to share what she's heard, where some of that could end up being false.

GamerJM

Banned
Honestly given what we've heard a delay doesn't seem likely. I feel like if there's a delay then we'd be getting more negative rumors. Given the way Nintendo's been acting it'll probably just have a ridiculously stupid late announcement, like in January. I know that seems hard to believe but it also wouldn't surprise me, given how quiet they've been.

I'm guessing that if it does release in March at that point the software lineup launch will be kind of barren, with basically everything not BotW or the pack-in game getting delayed until later. Maybe even an N64-esque launch where the thing launches with two games.

Yado

Does this not include Eurogamer, Emily Rogers, etc? I wouldn't be surprised if a big part of the lack of further leaks is that - software aside - there just isn't that much more to leak. If this information is true, there's no reason to assume that we don't already know the NX's USP.

Those are just rumours to me tbh.

MuchoMalo

Banned
It's probably because Eurogamer is likely more protective of their reputation, so they'd only publish reports that they've verified with a large number of sources.

Whereas Emily Rogers probably only has a few sources giving her info and her reporting on those sources wouldn't damage the reputation of a big name website like Eurogamer if they turn out false.

Not that I'm doubting her, but I assume that's the major difference there. Eurogamer wants to be absolutely sure and confident in what they are reporting, Emily Rogers just wants to share what she's heard, where some of that could end up being false.

Or Nintendo's lawyers sent them an angry letter.

Richie

Correct me if my memory is failing me, but isn't this level of silence comparable to the one Nintendo had before Directs were a thing? Where we only found out about stuff come E3 and big events like that?

Emily mentioned in her big writeup that she's been actively investigating NX since January. I'm not sure if Eurogamer (being a big site with a ton of things to cover and produce) can dedicate as much time to active research compared to an independent journalist like her, but they can easily still report on what they hear.

And of course they might also be more susceptible to angry letters from Nintendo.

Yado

Okay. What's the difference between a rumour and a leak to you?

To me it's the difference between a TMZ story from "sources" and a report or interview from someone (this can still be done anonymously) who can say what they know about the subject at hand with confidence.

So they won't even be at Paris Games Week this year.

Chaque année, Nintendo cherche les meilleurs moyens et les meilleurs moments pour permettre à ses fans d’avoir accès à ses jeux. Cette année, Nintendo a décidé de ne pas participer à la Paris Games Week, car elle ne s’insérait pas dans le plan annuel. Nous souhaitons à tous les participants et aux organisateurs un très bel événement.

As every year, Nintendo is looking at the best way and the best time to give fans access to our games. This year, Nintendo decided to skip PGW, as it wasn't fitting in our annual plan.
They're usually one of the biggest exhibitor, it seems crazy that they won't even show Pokemon but whatever.

21XX

Banned
Agreed. Best way to position both those titles, potentially for any platform they will be on.

I think you guys are putting way, way too much stock in those games. Nothing but 1st party Nintendo stuff matters at a Nintendo console launch. Period.

Or Nintendo's lawyers sent them an angry letter.

I don't think Nintendo can do anything at all, legally. Eurogamer reporters don't sign NDAs for development, developers do. Eurogamer likely just wasn't able to verify anything else with what they deem to be "enough" sources.

To me it's the difference between a TMZ story from "sources" and a report or interview from someone (this can still be done anonymously) who can say what they know about the subject at hand with confidence.

Eurogamer is not TMZ. They are a highly reputable gaming publication who reported on the NX as if they knew exactly what it is supposed to be, not like they've "heard rumors" about it from some random people. They would have called their report a "rumor" or said to take it with a grain of salt if they thought it wasn't 100% trustworthy, but they didn't- they staked their well-earned reputation on it as if it's a fact.

I would be absolutely floored if the majority of that report doesn't wind up being true.

Manoko

Nintendo announced they will be absent from Paris Games Week (going from October 27th to the 31st).

Each year, Nintendo looks for the best means and the best times to allow its fans to have access to its games. This year, Nintendo has decided not to participate in the Paris Games Week, because it does not fit into the annual plan. We wish all the participants a very nice event.

(This is a translation from french.)

Yeah, I voiced my worries earlier today in this thread, well Nintendo isn't helping me be confident in their new system.

Vena

So they won't even be at Paris Games Week this year.

They're usually one of the biggest exhibitor, it seems crazy that they won't even show Pokemon but whatever.

Nintendo announced they will be absent from Paris Games Week (going from October 27th to the 31st).

(This is a translation from french.)

Yeah, I voiced my worries earlier today in this thread, well Nintendo isn't helping me be confident in their new system.

Makes sense. They shouldn't show off the NX after they reveal it. Let people suffer. Hohoho.

I wouldn't have expected them at PGW even if they did reveal mid-October. Timing is weird to commit to showing up with your hardware there so soon (and it'd give up the ghost on timings as you have to schedule ahead of time), you'd have your own event either mid or late October if your plan was for the reveal at that time.

The events are too close.

Now its also possible they had planned things differently but I think we'd have heard of it sooner if they had had reserved large space and then suddenly canceled.

AmyS

Paris Games Week is like the last place I'd ever expect Nintendo to reveal NX -- Be it there at the show, or in Japan while PGW is going on. If NX got revealed around that time, it wouldn't have anything to do with that show.

I mean, from Nintendo's own wording of why it's releasing in March it's obvious that they targeted Holiday 2016 at some point but couldn't make it and delayed it internally. This isn't even a debatable fact after they explained that it's launching in March to make sure that enough software would be ready, ad well as their barren E3 lineup.

They have only ever said March, though. We can't call it a delay if they've only said March 2017.

Paris Games Week is like the last place I'd ever expect Nintendo to reveal NX -- Be it there at the show, or in Japan while PGW is going on. If NX got revealed around that time, it wouldn't have anything to do with that show.

Nobody was expecting a reveal at PGW, but skipping the event entirely is another thing. They have a few game they could show. Pokemon or BTOW or SMM on 3DS.

I'd love to know what the fuck is going on internally, because it would be unrealistic to think that everything is going according to their plan.

AdanVC

I think Nintendo should really make some kind of official update statement about NX. I'm not talking about an actual reveal/announcement, but some sort of "update" on how things are going. A few lines of text to ease the painful wait. What's the point of having social media accounts if you're gonna ignore everyone there, and everyone there right now is desperately asking for NX info. Even a random tweet such as: "Hey, Nintendo Fans, we appreciate your entusiasm for NX and we want to let you know that we're going to talk about it pretty soon!" Or something like that! Because this radio silence doesn't make me feel confident with Nintendo right now.

maxcriden

I think you guys are putting way, way too much stock in those games. Nothing but 1st party Nintendo stuff matters at a Nintendo console launch. Period.

Sorry to be unclear, I can see how it sounded like I meant for gamers' and the system's sake but I actually primarily meant for Sega and PlayTonic's sake I think they'd benefit immensely from their games being there at launch.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
giphy.gif

GamerJM

Banned
I think Nintendo should really make some kind of official update statement about NX. I'm not talking about an actual reveal/announcement, but some sort of "update" on how things are going. A few lines of text to ease the painful wait. What's the point of having social media accounts if you're gonna ignore everyone there, and everyone there right now is desperately asking for NX info. Even a random tweet such as: "Hey, Nintendo Fans, we appreciate your entusiasm for NX and we want to let you know that we're going to talk about it pretty soon!" Or something like that! Because this radio silence doesn't make me feel confident with Nintendo right now.

Even something like that would probably be way read into. Honestly at first glance I'd probably interpret it as them saying that they'll have an announcement soon (as in, within the next week or something).

I think something more like the comment made by the NoC interview guy would make more sense (just an offhand comment somewhere about how they'll reveal the NX later this year).

No.

We need to abolish the NX threads off the internet as soon as It is revealed. They are awful.

Yep.

Aside from possibly using Tegra, the rest of the rumors sound terrible anyway. Sounds like a fantasy items list than anything reasonable.

I understand the appeal in making up stuff to get the internet riled up but at some point the ones being fervent about it need to see when they're being tugged.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
...Honestly, I believe Nintendo not going to PGW is a possible sign that the reveal is indeed happening in October, since it could mean they want to focus everyone's attention on something else, outside they're Holiday lineup.

I mean, it's strange they're not participating, considering they could've had booths with their upcoming titles with no problems at all. Given how, as Vena said, we would've heard if they were going to be there, but then cancelled their presence, I want to say it's actually an intentional absence.

Maybe don't be crazy, tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom