• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Solo

PC version has its own interface and shit. Love when devs actually give a toss about the master race.

steven28

Looks like a very interesting game...i really need to read a couple of reviews though...one magazine i trust has called it the game of the year..which is quite a big statement seeing as there is quite a few big titles still to come out.The thing that concerns me is the length of the game,i just hope it isn't too short.I'm thinking it will be a christmas pickup for me..after i have played assassins creed 3 ill get this.

Derrick01

Banned
So how are you guys planning to do your first playthrough. I think my first time through will focus on with SOME violence. Primarily non-lethal but if I see a guard near a ledge I don't think I'll be able to help myself. I think that playthrough will allow me to get to know the layout of the levels for my second no kill run.

The way the game was meant to be played. Carefully planned stealth and lots of time exploring different ways to get in buildings and trying to find hidden paths. Going to play on Hard first with objective markers turned off and maybe a few other things. I'll have to take a look at what exactly can be turned off. Also going no kill and no detection.

So how are you guys planning to do your first playthrough. I think my first time through will focus on with SOME violence. Primarily non-lethal but if I see a guard near a ledge I don't think I'll be able to help myself. I think that playthrough will allow me to get to know the layout of the levels for my second no kill run.

Games like this I always go through once sampling all the play styles. A little blatant murder a little pillow shooting a little Boy Scout and then second time ill do non lethal.

Salsa

Its so close... and I have barely even touched Borderlands damnit.

Tell me about it. Thought I was gonna be done with it by now and I barely put 8 hours in. Mixture of waiting for a friend to play it and not being super happy with the performance (made me decide to buy a gtx 670 this week).

There's plenty of time

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
God I know absolutely nothing about this game but I want it to be good so badly so that I'll have an amazing exciting experience to play through.

The Chef

I will play this like I first played Deus Ex. I will be a sneaky, but murderous, bastard.

The only way to play.

stabby.gif

Aeana

I hadn't really looked at the game, since people told me it was a stealth game and I tend to not like those, but I watched the videos on IGN where they go through one level stealthily and then again as total full-on action and I think it looks pretty interesting both ways. I think I'll give the game a go.

Salsa

The way the game was meant to be played. Carefully planned stealth and lots of time exploring different ways to get in buildings and trying to find hidden paths. Going to play on Hard first with objective markers turned off and maybe a few other things. I'll have to take a look at what exactly can be turned off. Also going no kill and no detection.

This would be my usual plan but the skills that involve killing look so damn fun that I wont be able to save them for seconds

Trevelyan

Banned
Do we know all the skills that you acquire in this game? I feel like they've mainly talked about 4 or 5 big ones, but left the rest in the dark(which is quite exciting).

DukeBobby

I'll probably start with a non-lethal playthrough, and then follow it up with a 'kill everything in sight' playthrough.

Solo

In addition to being sneaky and murderous, I will also be doing my favorite thing to do in games like Deus Ex, HL2 and Bioshock - exploring every nook and cranny of the wondefully realized world.

The Chef

Have we heard anything about the expected length of the game?
I guess it doesn't mean a whole lot though. You could beat Deus Ex in like 5 hours if you wanted. Took me like 8 weeks straight.

Derrick01

Banned
This would be my usual plan but the skills that involve killing look so damn fun that I wont be able to save them for seconds

Yeah alright I lied a bit. I'll save my no kill run for 2nd playthrough when I bump it up to very hard. I'm still going to go for no detection 1st time though.

The Chef said:
Have we heard anything about the expected length of the game?

Keep in mind this was from the devs themselves but they said 20+ hours for people who explore and take it slow and play stealthy most of the time.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
From the lead designer of:

SGEhI.jpg

and

JidFN.jpg

I sincerely hope this is good as it looks really cool, but there is no way I am Day 1ing a Harvey Smith game.

koryuken

Still highly skeptical. Their first game Arx Fatalis was amazing; however their last game Dark Messiah of Might and Magic was one of the worst games I've ever played...

Really? I thought that the combat in Dark Messiah was excellent... the levels were pretty meh and the enemies were very limited. I thought the game could have been so much more but not terrible.

branny

Well I hope it doesn't. The exp system was the means by which Human Revolution skewered itself. If this game is another Human Revolution, then it will be interesting (at least for awhile), but largely disappointing.

I actually think there is no way this game is going to present any sort of real challenge, but I hope the level design keeps up enough to make the powers matter enough to be fun. Otherwise it is just a toy box.
Yes, this is one of my worries, too. A lot of the power combining looks pretty superfluous, for example, but it's been said that you can't get everything you want in a single playthrough. You'll be restricted in the full game, unlike the demo builds that have everything unlocked. I think you are actually only going to have access to a couple abilities/weapon upgrades(?) per playthrough, but I'm not 100% sure where the cap comes from (if there's even one at all). The way it sounds makes it seem less like Human Revolution where you could pretty much upgrade everything you wanted by the end of the game, rendering your "build" less important than the path you took getting to it.

There is also resource management to consider. I have no clue how crazy we're going to be able to get with spamming stuff. I assume ammo and mana whale juice or whatever will be limited to encourage scavenging around and avoiding confrontation. Nevertheless, I hope it's all balanced in some way. A full offensive run may not be as viable as a stealth one depending on how intensive playing like that is. Somewhere something is going to suffer, but I hope it skews in the direction of needing to play smarter than being able to run around 1hko-ing everything nonstop in frivolous, ultimately meaningless ways.

ironcreed

Banned
The freedom we will have in the environment looks like it is going to be a real trip because the level design seems so damn intricate. Being able to blink all over the place with a real sense of verticality and finding so many different ways to the objective is going to feel like a whole new kind of open, without actually being a full open world.

Derrick01

Banned

SGEhI.jpg

and

JidFN.jpg

I sincerely hope this is good as it looks really cool, but there is no way I am Day 1ing a Harvey Smith game.

But Harvey played an almost equal role in creating Deus Ex 1 as Spector did, so why doesn't he get credit for that too? He was told they had to make the sequel more console friendly.

Blacksite: Area 51

I seem to recall him coming out and saying how Midway released the game way before it was ready. Like, it needed at least one more year of development? I had high hopes for that game. Despite it being disappointing, though, I still enjoyed it.

Anyway, I'm feeling positive about Dishonored. Can't wait to play it. And nice OT, Salsa.

Fantastic OT! Lovely job.

Really excited for this game. I probably won't end up buying RE6 tomorrow and I'll put that money in towards this instead. I was expecting it to come out in two weeks instead of next week, so this is a pleasant surprise.

SGEhI.jpg

and

JidFN.jpg

I'll admit, I laughed.

gah, my bad, I can see how you'd think that from the OT but a quick google search should leave you at ease :p
I don't know anything about this game actually, so I was going solely off the OP!

Glad it's not PC exclusive though, seems to have some excellent pre-release buzz around it. I'll definitely be watching this thread for the trusted opinion of my beloved GAFfers!

From someone who actually loved Invisible War, flaws and all, I'm not in the least bit worried about how this game will turn out.

Curufinwe

If I loved Deus EX HR I'll love this right?

It's sure to be half price by Black Friday so that'll be great timing for me after RE 6 and AC 3.

Top Bottom