• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney developing live-action Mulan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ming Na Wen.

I will accept NO substitutes.

Too old bruh.

They should cast Nan Zhang.
nan-zhang-11201101.jpg

- J - D -

It must be bad that, when I try to think of young Chinese actresses currently in Hollywood who could fit this role, I can't actually think of any.

Except the girl who was just announced as Jubilee in the upcoming X-Men movie, but she's an unknown quantity.

llkvXRn.png

Fury451

Banned
Yeah, Cinderella was pretty good, so I don't mind this trend of live-action adaptations.

Please continue to keep the gritty reboot attitude out of it.

Theres got to be hundreds of potential unknown asian actresses to choose from. I can't think of any age appropriate Asian actresses.

Jawmuncher

My first thought was "Disney is making this to have a lock in for China cinemas". They still only allow 34 films a year right?

Amir0x

Banned
I know the joke, but I'm pretty sure they're going to cast an Asian female for Mulan. I think it'd be too obvious the sort of PR mess they'd be walking into there, considering the Chinese identity of the movie is preetty central.

jelly

I wouldn't say the Cinderella film was stuffed with tent pole stars in main roles. A few familar faces but wouldn't say mega stars.

Disney need to take a risk and there was an audience for Mulan, there will be one for this.

Squire

Banned
What's left with the recycle old Disney animations into live action list

To be fair, the princess films were always going to be remade into live action films; it was inevitable.

Mulan is out of left field though. I would've guessed Snow White was next, if you asked me an hour ago.

Abounder

Banned
It must be bad that, when I try to think of young Chinese actresses currently in Hollywood who could fit this role, I can't actually think of any.

Except the girl who was just announced as Jubilee in the upcoming X-Men movie, but she's an unknown quantity.

llkvXRn.png

Outside of Hollywood there's Netflix's Marco Polo although Joan Cheng is too old for Mulan (perhaps Grandmother Fa).

As long as they don't cast Olivia Munn as Mulan I'm good.

Obviously, you need a big name star to launch a movie. There are no Asian big name celebrities, maybe if there was they would be cast. Any asian actress needs more big name roles under their belt before we put them in a big name movie! Since they don't have any big name roles under their belt they don't have star power so we have to cast someone else because its the only way people will see the film, and we also need someone people can relate to. No one has heard of xxxxx before so they need more big name movies under their belt.

This is a joke but there are people here who would actually say stupid shit like this for real

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Just have Jamie Chung play the lead role.

She already plays Mulan on Once Upon a Time:

latest

jmood88

Disney will get Chloe Bennet to play Mulan. She's Asian but not Asian enough to keep white audiences from being unable to relate to a Chinese fairytale character. Plus, they already have a relationship with her. It's a win/win/win!

Edit: I forgot that she's a singer, too, so she could do the songs. I was joking at first but this doesn't actually sound like a bad idea.

Mulan is probably gonna be Chinese (or Korean cuz all Asians are the same...), but how are they gonna shoe-horn in white actors? I guess the Dragon needs a VO....

Obviously, you need a big name star to launch a movie. There are no Asian big name celebrities, maybe if there was they would be cast. Any asian actress needs more big name roles under their belt before we put them in a big name movie! Since they don't have any big name roles under their belt they don't have star power so we have to cast someone else because its the only way people will see the film, and we also need someone people can relate to. No one has heard of xxxxx before so they need more big name movies under their belt.

So good.

Mulan is probably gonna be Chinese (or Korea cuz all Asians are the same...), but how are they gonna shoe-horn in white actors? I guess the Dragon needs a VO....

Didn't stop Exodus.

Have Mulan's love interest be some European who learns their culture and ways in a montage (over night, it never takes them long to master these things) then by the end of the movie he's the most powerful warrior and a perfect representation of chinese culture. He and Mulan fight the final battle together, Mulan is knocked down because lolwomen, amirite?! Then have great white beat the final baddie, he picks her up and gives her a warm embracing kiss, they live happily ever after and all of China sees him as their great hero.

Bonus points if they can get Brad Pitt to play the character.

Boom, both China and US markets satisfied!

jmood88

Mulan is probably gonna be Chinese (or Korean cuz all Asians are the same...), but how are they gonna shoe-horn in white actors? I guess the Dragon needs a VO....
Mushu can't be done by anyone not named Eddie Murphy.

Please just leave it alone disney, didn't you do enough damage with Mulan 2?
What does this even mean? If it sucks, then it sucks but it doesn't do anything to impact the quality of the first movie.

Lesath

Well, it depends on how much Disney wants to work with the source material. She serves for twelve years in the original ballad, so an older actress isn't out of the question. Also, Asian aging is a bit more ambiguous.

Would actually be super cool to have historical fiction acted out by Asian actors speaking in English (also hilarious in Chinese dubs).

...Please no dragons or crickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom