• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney developing live-action Mulan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wag

conqueror8.jpg

LaNaranja

I absolutely love Mulan. It is my second favorite Disney movie after Hercules. I hope they give Ming-Na Wen a part. Maybe make her the mother?

Disney will get Chloe Bennet to play Mulan. She's Asian but not Asian enough to keep white audiences from being unable to relate to a Chinese fairytale character. Plus, they already have a relationship with her. It's a win/win/win!

Edit: I forgot that she's a singer, too, so she could do the songs. I was joking at first but this doesn't actually sound like a bad idea.

She would probably be really cheap too since she hasn't had a big role before.

BTM

Best Disney animation flick. Fact

I'm actually excited about turning Mulan into a live-action flick. Has potential to be pretty great.

Hazaku

Will be interesting to see how this all turns out ...

Seriously have no clue who they would cast as Mulan if they were going for someone young though.

Please no John Fusco screenplay
If they wanted a well known Asian actress to Americans, they'd probably have to cast Asa Akira.

LOL

Toothless

Lol they are about to live action the shit out of all of their animation/princess movies huh

I want Emperor's new groove....with a Talking Llama. Like a real one.

No joke, I used to write outlines in the vein of directors, and I wrote a Lord/Miller inspired origin story for Yzma. The joke of it was that the movie was SUPPOSED to give Yzma a sympathetic backstory, but in fact, it just added a bunch of unsympathetic attributes to her since she's decently sympathetic in the original film.

I imagined Chris Pratt as Kronk and Tilda Swinton as Yzma... good times.

Starring Topher Grace

Aladdin is probably off limits due to Robin Williams' passing.

They'd probably cast Kevin Hart in that role so I'm happy it's off-limits

Finaika

Obviously, you need a big name star to launch a movie. There are no Asian big name celebrities, maybe if there was they would be cast. Any asian actress needs more big name roles under their belt before we put them in a big name movie! Since they don't have any big name roles under their belt they don't have star power so we have to cast someone else because its the only way people will see the film, and we also need someone people can relate to. No one has heard of xxxxx before so they need more big name movies under their belt.

Couldn't they cast Jackie Chan as Mulan?

She disguise herself as a man most of the time so it would be pretty easy.

Chuckie

Mulan was voiced by a Chinese American, so that was pretty cool. It's an Ancient Chinese story, so casting a white lady would be pretty dumb, but we'll see. She's not Chinese, but Julie Estelle would play a pretty badass Mulan, I think.

MV5BMTQzMzg5Mzc0OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDU3NTIwMTE@._V1_SY317_CR15,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

She's part Chinese.

Anyway, I really really can't imagine Disney actually casting a white girl for the part to be honest. That would cause a huge shit storm and rightfully so.

What about Zhang Ziyi?

Hard to make her look like a dude though.

She already kind of did that :p
0590933_306_MC_Tx360.jpg

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't stop Exodus.

Have Mulan's love interest be some European who learns their culture and ways in a montage (over night, it never takes them long to master these things) then by the end of the movie he's the most powerful warrior and a perfect representation of chinese culture. He and Mulan fight the final battle together, Mulan is knocked down because lolwomen, amirite?! Then have great white beat the final baddie, he picks her up and gives her a warm embracing kiss, they live happily ever after and all of China sees him as their great hero.

Bonus points if they can get Brad Pitt to play the character.

Boom, both China and US markets satisfied!

Asia loves Brad Pitt as well so that's a double win for the male lead casting:p
Now we just need to pick the most popular China actress.

Sober

We all know who should play the villain
https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/qYpYQ7SmGOPNxYR91CGrzP_Ch9U=/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2550532/marco_s1_012_h.0.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Oh, so all Steppe people look the same to you now? [SPOILER]/s[/SPOILER]

This could be a genuinely interesting martial arts film if done right, but I fully expect them to play it more in line with their going series of fairy tale revivals. With a lavish version of "I'll Make a Man Out of You" to pierce it all together.

Bold One

It doesn't make sense to me. As I said earlier, Mulan is one of my favorite movies ever and was the first movie I saw multiple times in theaters. If the live-action version sucks, so what? I can put the original in and watch. As for your complaint about Hollywood lacking originality, you gotta stop repeating that tired point. Remakes have been a part of film pretty much since its inception and the animated Mulan is based off of another story. Like I said, if you think it looks shitty, then just don't watch. It doesn't change the original in any way.

Makes sense to me, since we've already had a live action version.

'Tired' or not a valid complaint is a valid complaint, I know what a remake is, the animated film came out in 1999, and a live action of it came out in 2009

It will all come to a head when a live action Lion King and Beauty and Beast is announced to have a shared Universe with Pocahontas...

This is my opinion and stance on the matter, it seems to bother you and we won't come to a consensus so let's leave it at that

neorej

ERMYGERD!
The people making "jokes" about the movie falling back on racial or gender stereotypes are making no sense whatsoever. Our culture is more aware of these things than when the original Mulan came out.

Right.

Here have a picture of Moses, he's Welsh.

D37WEC7.jpg

Ventara

So when are they gonna do a live-action Frozen?

On a serious note, it could work if done right. Definitely a better choice than Dumbo.

Squire

Banned
Steve Yeun will probably be Shang if they don't mess with the role. Dude has to be crazy viable after The Walking Dead.

Let's see...

- Already works on a Disney-made show
- Is Chinese (well, half)
- Can sing, and is used to action scenes

Ladies and gentlemen, your new Mulan.

agents-of-shield-chloe-bennet-Skye-description.png

CHLOE FUGGING BENNET.

iosefe

Let's see...

- Already works on a Disney-made show
- Is Chinese (well, half)
- Can sing, and is used to action scenes

Ladies and gentlemen, your new Mulan.

agents-of-shield-chloe-bennet-Skye-description.png

CHLOE FUGGING BENNET.

i just saw this bump and thought of her. i can roll with this

or they Give it to Ming na anyway

JC Lately

Shame they waited too long for Alysa Milano to play Ariel in the inevitable Little Mermaid live action film. Bring it full circle.

And before I get accused of ageism or whatever, I’m not saying the woman is unattractive now. Just that she couldn’t believably play a 16 year old.

Zoe

Honestly, I imagine an all-Asian cast would be quite a win in general.

Would Chinese movie goers care though? It's all about capturing their box office these days. I have no idea how accepting they are in that regard, especially when we're talking about classic Chinese characters.

lupinko

Anyway like I correctly guessed all those years ago for Legend of Chun Li, I figure Kristin Kreuk will get the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom